Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

snowflake. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 12 years ago

Changes in the slots for Amrit Manthan...

Friday, February 24, 2012 | 2:52:47 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)    33 Comments
Changes in the slots for Amrit Manthan...

The newly revamped channel prepares for the launch of its next show...

Life OK introduced to Indian television a new trend of 20-minute time slots. The channel is now coming up with yet another string of new shows. We hear that Rajan Shahi's upcoming show on Life OK, Amrit Manthan, will be aired for 40 minutes for a week.

According to our source, "Amrit Manthan will air from 8.20 pm to 9.00pm. Tum Dena Sath Mera which currently airs at 8 20 PM will go off air for a week and then come back in a new time slot from the 3rd of March. We also hear that the promo for the new storyline of Tum Dena Saath Mera has already been shot.  Zindagi Kahe - Smile Please  will air in a new time slot at 10.40pm."

We contacted Rajan Shahi who confirmed the news, "Yes, Amrit Manthan will air for 40minutes for a week. It's the channel's strategy. All I can say is that it's a different kind of show  about two sisters bonding, depicted in a realistic manner.It is a beautiful relationship and something will happen between them which makes them say, 'Meri Behen, Dost ya Dushamn?' It is a story with a very royal backdrop and a lavish look, with interesting characters."

Adaaa Khan too confirmed the news about the 40 minute slot and told Tellybuzz , "We've been waiting for a long time for the show. And yes, patience does pay off. I am super excited because it's a very different show and I want my audience  to watch it." 

Reporter: Ranjini Nair
Author: Sharat Kumar
snowflake. thumbnail

Dimple's love for Sridevi

Shruti Jambhekar, TNN | Mar 28, 2012, 03.23PM IST
Read More:Sridevi|Rajan Shahi|Dimple Jhangiani|Amrit Manthan|Adore
Dimple's love for Sridevi
Dimple Jhangiani
Dimple Jhangiani, playing Nimrit in Rajan Shahi's 'Amrit Manthan' on Life Ok recently shot for the on-screen party thrown by character Mahinder Malik played by S.P. Lalwani to show his power in the society. 

Adaa Khan got dressed up as Princess and Dimple got to dress up like Sridevi of "Chandni". 

She was very happy to be doing so as she is a die hard fan of Sridevi she confirms, "I have grown up watching Sridevi films. I just Adore her. She looks stunning and my her all time favourite films include "Sadma", "Chandni", "Lamhe" and "Chalbaaz". I am very fond of dancing especially on Sridevi Songs. I have never met her but meeting her is top on the list of my wishes. I wish she reads this. she is a diva in real sense of the word."

snowflake. thumbnail

Adaa to seduce Danish in Amrit Manthan

Neha Maheshwri, TNN | Mar 16, 2012, 01.11PM IST
Read More:Zara Ruk Jaa|Sakshi Tanwar|Ram Kapoor|Rajan Shahi|Bade Achhe Laggte Hain|Anil Kapoor|Amrit Manthan|Adaa Khan
Adaa to seduce Danish in Amrit Manthan
Still from the show

TV shows are getting bolder by the day. After the first lip lock of Indian television between Ram Kapoor and Sakshi Tanwar in Bade Achhe Laggte Hain, here comes another bold sequence featuring a seductive song to be telecast in producer Rajan Shahi's Amrit Manthan.

The lead couple of the showwill perform toJanewale Zara Ruk Jaa from Anil Kapoor-Sridevi starrer Roop Ki Raani Choron Ka Rajawhich will be aired tomorrow .And with what we have heard from our khabroo, this one is a rather steamy hot sequence where Danish Bhat (Adhiraj Singh) and Amrit ( Adaa Khan) will get cosy during the song. Amrit seduces Danish to figure out if he is impotent. "Adhiraj is a divorcee and is impotent. When Amrit comes to know about this, she tries to cross-check it. She will come to my bed room and will seduce me," says Danish. We hope that along with the temperature, the sequence sets the TRPs soaring too.

snowflake. thumbnail

Original ideas missing in soaps

• March 10, 2012 
  • By By Nayare Ali
Original ideas missing in soaps

Jamuna Paar is producer Rajan Shahi's latest offering that explores the age-old concept of rich girl falling in love with a tapori dude. Newcomer Vidhi Parekh, an engineering graduate who was discovered at a food mall has the innocence that makes her character very endearing. But Nidhi has a long way to go in terms of honing her acting skills. In comparison, her co-star the light-eyed Ankur Varma makes an impressive debut.

The soap highlights the love story between Vidhi, a South Delhi girl and Biju an East Delhi boy. Vidhi, a fashion designer lives in a joint family and has lost her mother early. She has to deal with nasty remarks at home. She heads to an area in Jamuna Paar to locate a tailor and that's how she bumps into Ankur. The soap is still in its nascent stage and appears somewhat confusing as one is not sure what the sub plot is besides the romance between the two characters.

Yet another show Shubh Vivaah is the story of a father and his five daughters and it appears to have shades of the popular serial Amaanat in it. Here Rakesh Bedi plays dad (Brij Mohan Saxena) to five grown-up daughters. The setting is a typical middle class home, where the protagonist's role is played by Neha Janpandith, who plays the character of Saroj. She is a pretty, intelligent girl who aspires to become a doctor but has to abandon her studies after the death of her mother and take care of her siblings.

Her older sister Karuna is shattered when she watches her mother die at 14 and retreats into a shell. There are three other sisters, Neelu, Kanchan and Meenu. Ejiaz Khan plays the role of Amrit Nigam — a slimy, ambitious money-minded character, who is having an affair with a rich married lady Sarla (Aashka Goradia). Again, not a very original concept and this whole five daughter angle is so done to death that it lacks charm.

It sure seems to be raining soaps on various channels but nothing that stands out in terms of a strong story line or characterisation. Amrit Manthan is based on the life of a royal family that has lost all its wealth but wants to keep up appearances in society. Amrit is the older daughter who wants to restore the family's glorious past and believes she can do this by marrying another wealthy royal. Nimrit, her younger sister, thinks from her heart and over a period of time their bond sours. Again, there is nothing special or spectacular about this plot.

If these soaps have to sustain viewer interest, the producers need to tweak the scripts and make the concepts more appealing. Right now, it doesn't appear like these serials will survive for long as they are simply not engaging enough._

snowflake. thumbnail
This royalty is worth a dekko

Monday - Sunday, 8:30 pm, Life Ok

Cast: Nandita Puri, Amardeep Jha, Adaa Khan, Danish Bhatt, Waseem Mushtaq, Dimple Jhangiani

Producer Rajan Shahi's newest offering, Amrit Manthan is set in a royal Punjabi household of the Sodhis. The family has fallen on hard times, the royal treasure is fast dwindling but the members of the house are hell-bent on keeping their decadent lifestyle alive. So you have the Rajmata (the grandmother), a queen, the king and a princess. Princess Amrit is the epitome of beauty, confidence and grace but she is also arrogant and shrewd. She, like the rest of the family believes in keeping the prestige and reputation of the raj gharana alive even if that means siphoning off a large part of the money gathered in charity functions to the royal treasure! The queen's is the only sane voice in the family. She believes the family should move on and accept the fact they are no longer royalty and that they could well do away with the sobriquets of rajaji, rajmata and princess.

Meanwhile, the grandmother has a dark secret. There is also Nimrit, Amrit's younger sister studying abroad. At the time of writing, two men have entered Amrit's life. There is Adiraj Singh, a prince who solves all problems with money and is hoping to get married to Amrit and there is Tej, the queen's childhood friend, a soldier's son who has his heart and values in place. While the queen wants Amrit to choose Tej, the Rajmata has her eyes set on Adiraj, as marrying him would mean an end to their financial woes.

The show has an interesting premise but lacks in its execution. On one hand you have the Rajmata and the Queen talking and behaving like royalty and on the other, you have the Rajmata's daughter and son-in-law who behave like petty crooks. We mean, if you have royal blood, you would have gone to the same grooming school, right? Also, it's a bit difficult to believe that the commoners have no idea about the royal family's financial woes especially when you have the Rajmata saying things like, 'Mushkil se do teen mahine ka kharcha nikal jaayega'…isn't there anyone in the palace who could have spilled the beans about their bankruptcy?

Last but not the least, Adaa Khan as Amrit falls short (literally) of looking like a true blue Princess. Where are all the tall girls? The cast otherwise is decent. Nandita Puri as the queen who never looks into the eye of the Rajmata while talking to her, puts in a smooth performance, so does Amardeep Jha as the grandmother. Adaa manages to say her lines with that touch of royal air. Both the boys disappoint though. Danish Bhatt as Adiraj is stiffer than wood, while Waseem Mushtaq as Tej just lacks presence.

All said and done, the story is engaging in bits and it would be interesting to watch how Amrit pulls her family out of the financial doldrums and of course, we await Nimrit's entry. Hopefully, she is taller!

Verdict: Don't give this a royal snub, give it a shot.

snowflake. thumbnail

Sisters rivalry prime time soaps

Vinita Chaturvedi, TNN | Mar 4, 2012, 12.15PM IST
Read More:Sasural Simar Ka|Rajan Shahi|Nivedita|Amrit Kaur Sodhi|Afsar Bitiya
A still from 'Sasural Simar Ka'

There was a time when couch potatoes couldn't help gushing over serials like "Betiyaan" and "Behnein", which had female protagonists fighting the entire world for their sisters and even killing an enemy or two if they so much as dared to cast an aspersion on their kin. Move over gushing siblings!

Enter warring sisters! Currently, prime time shows like "Amrit Manthan", "Jamuna Paar", "Sasural Simar Ka", "Haar Jeet", "Baba Aiso Var Deejo", " Afsar Bitiya" and "Saath Nibhana Sathiya" are pulling all stops to celebrate this sibling rivalry. So, how potent is the new ruling mantra on telly? Is it too far-fetched or does it reflect reality of life? LT get onto the hatred trail...

SLICE OF LIFE
As you watch the newage telly sisters plotting against each other and trying their level best to show the other in worst possible light, you wonder if it is really possible for two siblings to hate each other so much. Producer Rajan Shahi of "Bidaai" and "Kuch Toh Log Kahenge" fame, whose show "Jamuna Paar" has a strong track of sisters' rivalry, says, "I have seen quite a few sisters hating each other in real life. In fact, we have so many business and Bollywood families having siblings' war stories, where they go to the extremes. Even though we hate to admit it, the fact is that our close relations are very fragile. More the love, greater the expectations, which can't always be met all lead to problems especially when one sibling starts exploiting the other. In my serial "Jamuna Paar", the older sister sacrifices her talent for the younger one, who is not gifted. Whether they fight for power, status, money or the attention of a man, intriguing wars go on everywhere between sisters!"

PRACTICAL APPROACH
Adaa Khan, nee Princess Amrit Kaur Sodhi of "Amrit Manthan" feels that these tracks reflect the practical approach of the youngsters today. "My character in the serial is a practical girl, who wants to enjoy the riches and status just like so many other girls of my age. In real life too, I know of quite a few sisters, who have gone to all extremes to get the upper hand. Especially when there's more love, hatred is bound to breed. But, life goes on!"
TRP TRAPPINGS
One thing that could have been responsible for sudden rush of these hate-sis tracks is that they spell good news for TRPs. After all, "Bidaai" with its cult sis-hating track, recorded big-time TRPs. "Uttaran" also dwells on similar theme and has been doing consistently well commercially. Trilok Singh, the supervising producer of new soap "Haar Jeet", says: "The love-triangle involving two sisters, with one scheming against the other, always works. So, we aim to score well on TRP meter."

CHALLENGING TASK
Those, who are portraying these negative emotions on telly, don't find it easy, though. "The challenge lies in the portrayal being believable," says Neha Sargam, who's playing the conniving sister Ishika in "HaarJeet". She goes on to add: "Earlier, I played the sacrificing sister Nivedita in "Chaand Chupa Badal Mein". So, the production guys of "Haar Jeet" had a lot of doubts whether I would be able to get Ishika's nastiness right, but I convinced them. It's tough alright to be a selfish sister, who uses her sibling to lay her hands on a guy and his moolah. But then, everyone has negative emotions deep within, so one has to focus on them to get the act right!".

snowflake. thumbnail

Adaa shoots inspite being unwell

Lisa Antao, TNN | Mar 1, 2012, 11.25AM IST
Read More:Rajan Shahi|Amrit Manthan|Adaa Khan
Adaa Khan

Actress Adaa Khan who is currently seeing in Rajan Shahi's show Amrit Manthan as the young princess, Amrit, is currently doing good but couple of weeks back all was not well.

In fact Adaa was hospitalised for five days. Confirms she, ""I was down with a bad viral infection along with severe food poisoning. So bad was the effect that I was in hospital.""

Adaa who resumed shooting immediately after she was discharged from hospital feels apart from her own family, the Amrit Manthan family also took good care of her. ""I am fortunate to have a caring family on the sets too. Moreover, I'm a professional actress and love my work.

This show is very important for me career wise,"" says she.

snowflake. thumbnail

Danish Bhat: New baddie of small screen

Lisa Antao, TNN | Mar 1, 2012, 12.08PM IST
Read More:Shahrukh Khan|Priyanka Chopra|Madhur Bhandarkar
Danish Bhat

Rajan Shahi's new show Amritmanthan on Life Ok channel has seen a newcomer DanishBhat playing the king Adhiraj Singh. The handsome guy from the beautiful Kashmir has debuted with this show on television.

After doing a number of modelling assignmentswith MS Dhoni, Shahrukh Khanand Priyanka Chopra, Danish became a known face.

Few years back Danish came to Mumbai and he also did a acting course from Kishore Namit Kapoor. "Somehow I got to know from someone that Directors Kut is looking for a new face so I gave my audition and after a series of look tests I was selected for Adhiraj Singh's character," says Danish andfeels a lot of attitude is required to play this character, Athiraj Singh who is an opportunist and he does whatever he feels like and wants to achieve everything he wants. "I am getting lot of congratulatory calls after people have seen me in Amritmanthan I am happy to get a chance to play this role. It's always hard to play the negative lead and specially a character like Athiraj who also has a mystery angle attached!" adds the brown-eyed actor also got an opportunity to play a role in Madhur Bhandarkar's next film Heroine.

snowflake. thumbnail

Dimple, adaa play sisters

Dimple Jhangiani and Adaa Khan
Dimple Jhangiani and Adaa Khan

When pride and greed seep into family relationships, it can ruin the bond between two sisters. That's the essence of the new show Amrit Manthan. Playing the two sisters, Amrit and Nimrit who go from being best friends to the worst enemies, are Adaa Khan and Dimple Jhangiani. Both are a couple of serials old and coincidentally, started their careers in modeling before debuting on TV.

Dimple began with Ekta Kapoor's show Kuch Iss Tara. She hasn't done badly in her career but could have done better had she not decided to quit acting after playing leads in Hum Dono Hain Alag Alag and Raja Ki Aayegi Baraat. "I was signed forRam Milayi Jodi to replace Priyal Gor. But because of personal reasons I decided to leave showbiz for good and the role went to Sara Khan," she recalls. So, how and why did she change her mind? "I started getting bored at home. Since I was not in touch with the industry for more than a year I lost all contacts. Then suddenly I got a call from Rajan Shahi's office for Amrit Manthan. But I said no because I wasn't sure about coming back," she says.

Dimple is lucky that the producer didn't find the right actress for almost six months. "They called me again and this time I went for a look test. Rajanji insisted that he wanted me to play Nimrit and I didn't want to say no a second time," she adds. Speaking about her role she says, "Nimrit is a humble and down to earth girl. Though she is a rajkumarishe doesn't behave like one. She places more importance on values and principles than on money and pride."

But Amrit played by Adaa is the opposite. "For her, money talks," says Adaa who was the producer's only choice for the role. "Actually, I had auditioned for an important role in Havan. But Rajanji told me that he wanted me for another show. I waited for six months and turned down quite a few serials." Adaa admits that her character has grey shades. "She loves her mother and sister but she can go to any length, even murder to protect her own interests," she adds. Incidentally in her last show Behenein Adaa had killed her husband.

However, the character was very popular and Adaa is hoping that Amrit will get a similar response. As for Dimple, she is hoping that her comeback will not go unnoticed.

snowflake. thumbnail

Adaa and Dimple bonding big time

Neha Maheshwri, TNN | Feb 29, 2012, 01.26PM IST
Read More:Friends|Dimple Jhangiani|Adaa Khan
Adaa Khan

Rajan Shahi's new show Amrit Manthan has an unusual cast. Actor Adaa Khan who was last seen as the doting sister in Beheneinis back on the tube to play the character of Amrit - the young princess in the show. Amrit Manthan is set against the backdrop of Punjab.

It is a story of a royal family and two sisters Amrit and Nimrit.Nimrit is being played byDimple Jhangiani who is back after nearly 10 months. "I was selected for the show last June and we waited for the longest time to lock someone for Nimrit's character," says Adaa adding "Finally, the production house found Dimple Jhangiani and we were all very happy to have her onboard." Adaa and Dimple have been shooting for nearly a month and they are having a great time on the set. "Dimple is a very outgoing person and she talks a lot with everyone on the set. Though I am not as outgoing as her, I end up chatting a lot when she is around," says the actress. We hope Adaa and Dimple remain the best of Friends in the future too.