Kya Huaa Tera Vaada

TOI: Meanies next door-Anushka

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 12 years ago

MEANIES NEXT DOOR 

Negative characters in daily soaps are not as melodramatic as they used to be.Ahmedabad Times explores 

Ano Patel 

They came with an overture to a track that typified villainy to the hilt.The small screen would lit up with the kind of soap opera that these negative characters had to indulge in with their sly smiles,arched eyebrows,oodles of make-up and a not so subtle background music that would establish their credentials as the mean people.Until now the most remembered screen meanies were Komolika (Kasautii Zindagi Kay),Sindoora (Banoo Main Teri Dulhan),Jigyasa (Kasamh Se),Romola Sikand (Kahin Kisii Roz),Rishi Grewal (Kahin To Hoga),Ansh Gujral (Kyunkii Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi),who showed their spiteful side in their over-the-top way and were deluged with hate mails.The new age baddies have mellowed and are characters you can believe in,different from the scheming,wicked former baddies we had loved to hate.
Meet the current badmaash company from Tellytown Rucha Gujarathi (Kia in Saas Bina Sasural),Rucha Hasabnis (Rashi in Saath Nibhaana Saathiya),Rukhsar (Dr Mallika in Kuch Toh Log Kahenge) and Neha Sargam (Ishika in Haar Jeet),Abhaas Mehta (Shyam in Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam D o o n ),M o u l i Ganguly (as Anushka in Kya Hua Tera Vaada) Karanvir Bohra (Viraj in Dil Se Di Dua ... Saubhagyavati Bhava),Adaa Khan (Amrit in Amrit Manthan) and Mahesh Shetty (Siddhant in Bade Achhe Lagte Hai),actors who are giving meanness a whole new definition by being ordinary.
Producer Nissar Parvez feels,the monotony associated with the characters has brought about this change.He says,Those dramatic evil characters worked wonderfully at some level and they still work.But now audiences want to be humoured after a tiring days work.So,playing just a bad guy/girl is not enough.It is all about how you add a funny aspect to the negative character to depict on screen. Rukhsar says,I try to keep it subtle.My character is shown falling in love with the hero,so I have to strike a balance between the romantic angle and the jealous angle. 
Some say,these characters are people next door and not too cardboard cutout variety.Says Neha,I am a simple girl who wants to give it back to people whove hurt her. Rucha agrees,My character is very well-sketched.Shes a victim of circumstances,so its easier to relate to her. 
Now whether underplaying negativity can create some TRP froth in near future,only time can tell.
[email protected]

(From top) Abhaas Mehta,Karanvir Bohra,Mouli Ganguly and Neha Sargam 

[Previous] Ahmedabad Times [Next]!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

swethasyam08 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 12 years ago