Book Talk

Discussion: Reading Affects Language Acquisition?

-Mystery- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 12 years ago
Hello Books lovers ðŸ¤—

Bringing you an official Discussion topic after so long 😳

So there have been multiple studies on the effects of reading on verbal comprehension, vocabulary, and even in language acquisition. And there's some conflicting results out there.

What do you think?

Do you think reading helps with verbal comprehension and all? While reading, do you actually look up a word if you don't know its meaning? That's actually one great thing I love about the Kindle, you can highlight it and the meaning comes up. You don't even have to find a dictionary or go online.

Do you think reading helps if you're trying to learn a new language? Have you tried reading books in a language you were trying to learn? Did it help?

Any discussion on these questions or generally on the topic is most welcome.

Have fun discussing.

-Mahi

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aishwaryagayen thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
well ofcourse when we read a book we just dont refer the dictionary mostly we just see the sentence frame and try to make up the meaning and it really helps ... i must tell it helped in my literature a lot i know words ppl usually don't and well few words even make u feel like smiling they are so simple but so beautiful in its meanings
well i use mobipocket reader on my cell and i get the meaning instantly and its kinda easy to grab tht
meaning problem doesnt happen often if m reading somehing written by paolo coelho or a write uses spanish or italian few times then i prefer knowin what actualy those words mean coz its kinda beautiful in its own way
children should really read a lot .. dont be choosy read anything and everything u get for the fun of it nad u actually know a lot ...
and ofcourse it helps in language nowadays i know so many urdu spanish french as well as latin words even i gotta know some phillipines too and well not only language i actually get bits and pieces about places and culture knw speically mayan culture is mentioned in many places ...
reading has its beauty if u can find it ... then u r at peace surey

rahmona_pakswe thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I have personal experience in improving my language skills through reading. 4 years ago I moved to UK from Sweden and my English skills were average despite having studied English as it is compulsory in Swedish schools. Through reading (novels, newspapers, anything I could get my hands on) my language skills improved a lot. Ok, speaking English and watching telly has helped a lot too but reading have had its own impact.

Through reading I could get a better understanding of the language and also how a certain word is spelled which has been of utmost help. Of course I still need to work on my English and for that I continue to read.
cs-07 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I agree with TM. i dont use a dictionary when reading so the words which are new goes above my head but i try to make sense of it by reading the sentence and prolly just guessing what it may mean which is a negative in my reading habits.

but constant reading has made me conscious about my writing skills or when i start to use the chat lingo when posting comments on IF, sms or any other social media.

Plus the introduction and the development of our vocabulary is wonderful to say the least.
hopehot thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
of course...people who read more have a better understanding ..and they have a wide area of vocab
--Ruchi-- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
Yes I agree that reading improves your vocab, grammar and multiple uses of same word.
Personally I prefer to look for a word in dictionary when I dnt get its meaning from sentence.