Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ejaz_lover thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Vamp revamped
CHECK out Urvashi Dholakia?s new look on Sony?s Rishton Ki Dor. She?s still the vamp all right, but this time she?s shed the saris for figure-hugging dresses. Dholakia?s also been in the news recently for her romantic links with Sandeep Chowtha, but this girl?s a lady. She?ll never kiss and tell.

Kiran. thumbnail
Mere paas maa hai!

With Mother's Day just round the corner, TV stars tell BT about the relationship they share with their mothers

Mother's Day is round the corner and apna television artists are looking for ways to make their mothers happy on this special day. The characters they play in TV serials sometimes go overboard while displaying their love for their beloved mums. But even in real life, our TV stars are not too far behind when it comes to showering affection on their mums.
   It's a belief that daughters are more attached to their dads and that sons to their moms. One such case is that of debonair actor-doctor-industrialist Anuj Saxena who takes pride when people tell him that he resembles his mother. Anuj remarks, "My mother was always nice and indulgent with all her children in the growing years. She was the happiest when I decided to take up acting as a career despite having done medicine. Now, she is not only proud of me but is also my biggest critic and fan." Anuj has been away from his parents for more than 15 years and he misses his mom. "Mom's home-made pickles are the best in the world," declares this ardent son. Since his family is away in Himachal Pradesh, Anuj might go and surprise his mom or else wish her on the phone on Mother's Day.
   In contrast is Niyati Joshi of Suno... Har Dill Kuch Kehtaa Hai on Sahara One, who was scared of her fashion designer mom in her younger days as she was very particular about everything. "Late night parties were a big no-no with my mother, but she gave me the freedom of doing what I wanted, only I had to inform her in detail and not hide anything from her. She was initially a bit sceptical about my decision to leave Pune and settle in Mumbai, but now she is very supportive. She is more like a friend to me," says Niyati fondly remembering her mother who is in Pune. She has celebrated Mother's Day in advance by sending her mother a gift and is happy that she liked it.
   Amit Verma, Rohan Kapoor of Sahara One's Kituu Sab Jaanti Hai, feels, "I always felt that my mother showered extra attention on my younger brother. But now things have changed. Since I became a TV actor, I hardly get to see my mother, so whenever I meet her she pampers me more than him. My mother gave me the freedom to do whatever I wanted to, while ensuring that I didn't go astray. In fact, with my hectic schedules, I feel I have not been a good son lately. To make up for the lost time I am planning to gift her something special." What if she made unreasonable demands like his reel mother Sonia Kapoor? Amit says confidently, "I know my mother. She can never make unreasonable demands. However, if the situation arises, I shall convince her to agree to the rationality of the situation."
   CID guy Anoop Soni reminisces that his mother was very strict when it came to cleanliness. "When I was in school, I remember her keeping a tab on my hair, nails, uniform, et al." Anoop shared a lot of letters with his mom when he was away training at NSD. Now he makes it a point to call up his mom in Delhi every alternate day. On the relationship that his mother and his wife share, Anoop says, "Ritu shares a wonderful relationship with my mom. She makes sure that my mom has the best possible time when she is in Mumbai."
   Many daughters call their mothers their best friends. Kishwar Merchant says, "She is very cool, more like a pal. She was the only person who supported me when I decided on my acting career. She quit her job as a general manager to take care of me during shoots. She has an excellent sense of humour." As an amazing cook, her haath ka khana is much indemand on Star Plus' Kkavyanjali sets. This over-protective mom is always in touch with her only child who has planned a big surprise for her cho-chweet mom.
   Reena Kapoor aka Rani of Woh Rehne Waali Mahalon Ki avers, "After a certain age, parents start behaving like children and we need to express our love for them." It was after Reena's father passed away three years ago that she came really close to her mother. "Since then my mom has been everything to my siblings and me. Now we try to pamper her the way she did when we were young," says Reena warmly.
   It's not just enough to know our parents' worth but it is very important that we express it, show our concern towards them, even if in a small way.

HOT SHOWS? REALLY?

W hile the weather outside is scorching hot, Sony has gone about town with their two new afternoon daily shows, which they claim will be hottest and an excuse for anybody to not throw afternoon parties any more (huh?).
Kabhie To Nazar Milao (1 pm) and Risshton Ki Dor (1.30 pm) produced by UTV and the Adhikari Brothers respectively go on air on Monday). Kabhie To… is about Sunaina who we think is blind (though the producers feign ignorance) but that doesn't stop her parents from finding her a 'Rajkumar' to marry. Risshton Ki Dor is about a middle class (yawn) Maharastrian (yawn, yawn) family, which has a doting brother and three sisters. All's well till the bro gets married and the sister-in-law wrecks havoc in their life.
On launching two new shows bolstered by re-runs of old serials, the channel honchos said that their research showed there is a significant afternoon viewership. Though neither of the two looked any different from what we already have on the idiot box the enthusiasm of the channel was unmistakeable which explained the carnivallike set-up at the launch party.

ejaz_lover thumbnail
Everyone knows that Urvashi Dholakia, better known as Komolika, has been missing from action for months now.

Last week in an interview with Mumbai Mirror, she had said that she would make a grand re-entry in Kasauti Zindagi Kay. The stage was set and her comeback scene was penned by the writers. In fact, her comeback scene was carved as the turning point in the show.

Last Friday was scheduled for Urvashi's the shoot with the Kasauti... team. Apparently, they were supposed to shoot a dream sequence that day, which was cancelled at the last minute.

Reason? Komolika decided to put her foot down and announced that she would come back to the show on certain terms and conditions. The unit was left in the lurch, with writers frantically rewriting the scene without Komolika.

When contacted about her sudden cgane of plans, Dholakia says, "Yes, I was supposed to be back on the show but nothing was concretised. We're yet in the stage of finalising all the details of the scene."

But wasn't it unprofessional of her not to show up for the shoot after having her dates confirmed? "That's not true," she says. "I didn't back out at the last minute. I had informed the production people of Kasauti..., and made it clear that I'd come back to the show only if they gave me a complete picture about Komolika's future track in the serial. They couldn't do that, so I told them I'd come for the shoot whenever they were ready with the entire track. I think it was a very fair and professional way of going about things."

Now, she says that she will resume shooting only after all the misunderstandings have been cleared between her and the production house. "I do not have any issues with anyone," she shrugs.

"If things work out, I'll definitely be back..." After a longish pause, she adds, "Anyway, I believe whatever happens happens for the best."

With two new shows, Rishton Ki Dor and a cameo in Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin in her kitty, it's unlikely that Dholakia will have the time for another daily show. Considering producer Ekta Kapoor's possessiveness about her actors, how has she taken her decision to work for another production? "I haven't spoken to Ekta about this," she replies.

"In the past, I've worked for Aroona Irani's shows and it has never bothered Ekta. I don't think she is the kind of person who will prevent actors from growing."

• I had informed the production people and made it clear that I'd come back to the show only if they gave me a complete picture about Komolika's future track in the serial— Urvashi
Kiran. thumbnail
Monaz follows dad's path
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   May 20, 2006

Monaz Mevawalla
The name of Monaz Mevawalla may not ring a bell. But the actress has been around for quite a while, in several shows.

At present, she plays the rebel sister Mansi, in Sony's afternoon drama, Risshton Ki Dor, as well as Ameesha, in the comedy Chuupke Chuupke on SAB.

Interestingly her father, Firdaus Mevawalla, is also an actor.

He does character roles on the small screen and in Bollywood.

He is seen in the SAB show, Yes Boss, Hari Mirchi Lal Mirchi on DD, and in Madhur Bhandarkar's Corporate.

In Shiamak's troupe

"I am into acting just because my father is also into it," says Monaz. She was part of Shiamak Davar's troupe and taught dancing. "Acting just happened after I had my portfolio shot, for a lark. I began circulating my photos and that's how I landed Kittie Party. Then one show followed the other."

Being a Parsi, initially, her Hindi was a problem. "I have overcome whatever fears anyone would have about the language, now I speak Hindi fluently.

Kittie Party's director (Tamara Nedungadi) was extremely patient and helped me a lot with my diction. In fact I am a cocktail, as my mother, Asha is a Gujarati. So I am not a pucca Bawa," she laughs.

"We used to live at Cusrow Baug, Colaba, but later shifted to Goregaon as it would take two hours commuting from Colaba to the suburbs for the shoots."

No more small roles

The actress is determined to make her career as an actress. "I want to play main roles or the parallel lead roles. I have had my share of playing small parts." With two shows on air at present (Risshton Ki Dor and Chuupke Chuupke), she is looking for more.

ejaz_lover thumbnail
Anuj Saxena
The debonair doctor turned businessman, who agreed to an arranged match at 37, saw his marriage falling apart within a year. Maintaining a stiff upper lip about the alleged acrimonious end to the relationship, he's bounced back with Rishton Ki Dor on Sony, even as Kkusum, that had catapulted him to fame ended.
Instead of retreating into a shell, Anuj, it would seem, is going all out to add to his activities. As CEO of his year old production house Maverick, he has his hands full chalking up TV and film projects, while juggling his existing responsibilities as marketing director of the family held Elder Pharma, that entails frequent business trips abroad.
Anuj apparently seems to have made a clean break, though it must be tough playing hard to get with those striking good looks and a bachelor-again status to boot. His friends can be counted on his fingertips, and those he stays in touch with regularly over emails and text messages. Is staying busy more than 24 hours a day the right remedy to get back at life?

ejaz_lover thumbnail

Risshton ki Dorr - not strong enough!

I wonder why anybody would want to watch Risshton Ki Dorr? Except perhaps the odd bored housewife, who has nothing better to do, than to see Anuj Saxena mollycoddling his three grown up sisters on Sony's Nayee Dopahar.

Saccharine sweet - Suhas and his sisters

True, the show is about a caring brother who sacrifices his happiness for the wellbeing of his sisters, but this seemingly original plot (on the Indian screen) is marred by bad performances - be it Sampada Vaze or Guarav Chanana, they need lessons in acting....and quick! Risshton...looks and sounds like a theatre production gone horribly wrong - from the dialogues to the costumes to the makeup, everything looks out of place in a middle class household, that it's supposed to depict.

Suhas dada, played by Anuj Saxena is a character that defies logic - he believes in all things traditional, yet he has a 'sales girl' for a wife, played by Urvashi Dholakia (Noyonika) who wears a knee length halter dress when she's out 'selling' (her product still remains a little vague!). Her conversations are tinged with sexual innuendos and all she wants from life (it seems) is to bed the 'hot Mr Rahul Raichand' played by Gaurav.

Give her something more to do - Urvashi Dholakia

What's so 'hot' about Gaurav is beyond me - although his introduction in the show was well shot, only the subject of the shot was looking as if he didn't kbow what he was doing there. One needs more than just power suits to look the dapper businessman that 'Rahul Raichand' is - I was hoping the actor had the good sense to take some acting lessons post Hey...Yehi to hai woh, but apparently he hasn't!

Sampada Vaze looks great on screen, but that's where her talent ends. In her shots with Gaurav, it seems as if two pillars are making conversation - one waits patiently till the other finishes, no expressions, no voice modulations, they could just be talking to the mirror for all we know. They are not newcomers and have done solo lead projects, so this is something quite unexpected!

Power suits don't a businessman make - Gaurav Chanana

Anuj Saxena and Urvashi Dholakia are the only people who seem to have the skills to pull off the show, but their characters have not been etched out properly and that gives them very little scope to perform. Urvashi is wasted as the conniving wannabe, who wants to climb the ranks of society, without toiling hard for it. While Urvashi has her eyes set on the 'high society,' Anuj is busy looking after his sisters.

Mention should also be made of Muskaan Mehaani, who plays Tara in the show. She has made a genuine effort to ape Tia of Star One's Remix but unfortunately it remains a poor imitation.

It might be true that this critique might seem a litte too harsh, but quite frankly, it's harsh because expectations were high! Imagine taking time out to watch Sony's Nayee Dopahar...at the end of which, you need a cup of hot tea and a tablet to keep a looming headache away!

Courstey Raynukaa

Kiran. thumbnail
Aditi Pratap bags Twinkle Beauty Parlour, Risshton Ki Dorr

Aditi Pratap is on cloud nine! The actor has just bagged two new shows - Twinkle Beauty Parlour and Risshton Ki Dorr. In both the shows, Aditi will play important characters central to the plot.

Aditi Pratap: busybody!

"In Twinkle...I play an army officer's wife who is from a small town. Her life is closely linked with Ranjana (Narayani Shastri). She will be part of the mystery and when her story is revealed, the show will see a thrilling twist," says an excited Aditi, refusing to divulge the name of her character.

Aditi's charcater will be seen on air from 29 May. The character will start off as a cameo, but it might end up being a full fledged character later on.

In Risshton..., Aditi will play Simran, an art director, who will be part of Anjuu Mahendroo and Raza Murad's family. " I have a very interesting charcater in the show. It has very nice shades and will be on air from the tenth episode,"says the actor.

Other than these two shows, the actor is also part of a very successful Zee show - Saat Phere. Ask her about that and the lady is all excited,"It is a big hit and I am so happy to be part of the show. It's very real and the best part is that it's well written!The team is great and deals with real issues...that's what makes it special,"says Aditi.

With three dailies already in her kitty, the lady is all set to take take on anither daily! "I want to work for 25-30 days a month! I can't sit at home!" sighs Aditi.

Way to go, girl!

ejaz_lover thumbnail
Dawn of the dead

Reviving the dead is a piece of cake for the small screen. Sapana Patil Poojary talks to television actors about their journey to the grave and back

Sapana Patil Poojary

Anuj Saxena (Kumkum)

Died as Jatin Khanna;  revived as Manikbhai

Sometimes doing away with a character becomes necessary to take the story further or to add novelty to the existing track. I came back to Kumkum after a very long time. It was a nostalgic experience, as I knew most of the unit people. Similarly, my character in Saara Aakash was also brought back to be killed later. However, I feel that reviving a character should be relevant and should not be done as a means to create hype.

Kiran Juneja (Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka)

Died and revived as Kavita Raizada

I wonder if people are still surprised when they see a character being revived; it has been happening so often on television! But it helps hooking the audience to the television sets. They are on their toes, waiting with bated breath for what will happen next.

Akashdeep Saigal (Kyunki Saas...)

Died as Ansh;  revived as Eklavya

Reviving a character is not a new concept. We have seen Amitabh Bachchan play father and son in the same reel. The fact is that once the character becomes popular, people begin to identify with it and miss it when gone, hence, the revival. After all, the show must go on.

Ronit Roy (Kyunki Saas...)

Died and revived as Mihir

My character Mihir died and was revived in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. Resurrections are important to retain audience interest. After all, keeping them entertained is the prime motive. When they strongly feel that a character should be brought back, what option do producers have? And what is the harm in doing that? For example, my character in Kasautii Zindagii Kay was presumed dead and when it was revived, it was appreciated.

Sachin Shroff (Sinndoor Tere Naam Ka)

Died as Dhruv Raizada; revived as Karan

When a favourite character is bumped off, there is no option but to revive it since audiences clamour for the return of their favourite character. They lose interest and TRPs drop. So, the revival of the character revives the serial. But it must be done in a logical way. Showing the character's actual burial and then reviving it is funny and unacceptable. However, coming back after plastic surgery is fine. TV allows that kind of creative liberty! 

Manasi Joshi Roy (Kkusum)

Died and revived as Kkusum

My character was revived and replaced at the same time. (When my character was revived, I was replaced by Shilpa Saklani, plastic surgery was used to explain the same). I believe that replacements should be without any complications. For example, when I replaced Nausheen Ali Sardar, there was a plain announcement at the beginning of the serial, that hence forth I will be playing the role of Kkusum. But when I was replaced, they explained it with a plastic surgery. I do not advocate plastic surgery as a means to revive or replace characters because it doesn't happen in real life.

Anuj Saxena

Kiran Juneja, Akashdeep Saigal

Ronit Roy, Sachin Shroff

Manasi Joshi Roy

Now, cold vibes between Juhi Parmar and Anuj Saxena?    

There was a time when Juhi Parmar was known to have a soft spot for Anuj Saxena. This was during the initial days of Star Plus' Kumkum. Much happened after that, read Anuj's role in the show ended, he got married, got divorced and finally got back to the show. Though there was a lot of speculation if Juhi's feeling for Anuj would be rekindled or what, from what we hear, Juhi and Anuj are very formal to each other on the sets and exchange only the required pleasantaries and interaction with each other. We guess the puppy love has come to an end and both of them have put it all behind them.

COLD SHOULDER: Juhi Parmar and Anuj Saxena
Kiran. thumbnail

Interview of the week: By Sneha Hazarika

Actor Anuj Saxena started out with his family pharmaceutical business, then made a low-key film debut (never mind if the movie was as obscure as Naam Kya Hai opposite Shruti Ulfat) and went onto acting in serials like Kora Kaagaz, Kkusum, Kumkum and Prratima and thereafter ventured into film, TV and Ad production.  The actor is currently seen on TV with his new serial Rishhton ki Dorr produced by the Sri Adhikari Brothers and currently airing on Sony TV.

"Rishton Ki Dorr is the story of a brother and his three sisters, the story of their relationship, their troubles, joys, sorrows etc. There is a whole gamut of family dramas, love stories and emotional/revenge tracks running everywhere. But this is something which has not been explored in Indian television ever before," Anuj highlights the positive points of the show confidently.

Explaining his role he says, "In Kkusum I was the quintessential rich playboy, in Kumkum I was again the rich guy with a negative streak and in Prratima I played the Bengali millionaire. But here I am playing a middle class Maharashtrian guy who takes charge of his household and is father figure to his three sisters."

"My look in the serial matches my character. I am dressed in checks, chinos and jeans. It was something different which I tried out and it was fun," adds the actor.  Sheetal Thakkar, Sampada Vaze and Monaaz play Anuj's three sisters in the serial. Urvashi Dholakia a k a Komolika plays his wife. He claims he shared a fantastic chemistry with all the ladies. And why not! Anuj is rumoured to be quite a ladies' man.

"Monaaz was like the little kid on the sets and I used to pull her leg a lot. Sampada is educated abroad and very refined. And Sheetal was very friendly too," comments Anuj about his female co-actors. "They all have well-defined characters in the serial and I guess the casting is just right. It was an amazing working environment."

How was it working with Urvashi Dholakia? "I know Urvashi for a long time since we have both worked for Balaji Telefilms. We used to keep meeting each other in the studios. So it was all very comfortable. For her too, it's not an out and out negative character. She too gets to do something different this time," he reveals.

Anuj claims that it was not only the actors but also the makers who were a treat to work with. "The Adhikari brothers are like veterans in the industry. The first bank of episodes has been directed by Gautamji (Adhikari) himself. He was an absolute pleasure to work with. Now that someone else is at the helm, I have already started missing him. I keep wishing he would be back," says Anuj.

"We shot the entire serial in Mumbai. One, rather two floors belonging the studio were ours for the shooting. The look and feel has also come quite good," Anuj's enthusiasm in his talks shows how deep he feels about the soap.

What is the USP of the serial? Especially when there are so many hi-profile shows already on TV, why would people want to tune in to Rishton ki Dorr? "First and foremost the unique story line is what would make it stand-out on the primetime afternoon slot. The story is based on a popular South American tele-novella, Three Sisters and it has been Indianised quite well. The look and feel of the show is first rate. And the experienced Adhikari brothers are at the helm. In addition to that, the casting is just perfect," he says.

Anuj Saxena, 
actor
Rishton Ki Dorr is the story of a brother and his three sisters, the story of their relationship, their troubles, joys, sorrows etc.

ejaz_lover thumbnail

Anuj Saxena

Anuj Saxena to quit TV?

The actor might hang his boots after his current show, he tells Dhaval Roy

If buzz on the grapevine is to be believed, then Anuj Saxena, the man who shot to fame as Abhay Kapoor of the successful soap opera Kkusum, is set to hang up his acting boots for good.
   When confronted, the man confessed, "I have a production house and my pharmaceutical company to look after. I can't manage that along with a daily 16-hour shift."
   Currently, he is featuring on what is being considered to be his last soap — Risshton Ki Dor.
   But there's more to Anuj's exit from TV than meets the eye. He wants to make it big on the silver screen, his debut film Lips is ready to release. "I am looking at doing a couple of films a year, where I can satisfy my acting ambition as well as concentrate on my business," he says. However, if one recalls, in the past he had announced that he was quitting TV after Kkusum went off air. But then, his track in Kumkum was revived. "I guess television doesn't want to leave me," he laughs. "But I came back to Kumkum just to prove a point that an actor doesn't sit at home if he's out of an Ekta Kapoor serial," he says hinting at Kkusum, which he had walked out of. As of now, Anuj's eyes are set on the silver screen, and making it big there.