Views

Users

Frequent Posters

swethasyam08 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
TOI: Rugged looks rule the small screen
Amrita Mulchandani, TNN | Aug 8, 2012, 12.00AM IST

Read more:Siddharth P Malhotara|Sameer Soni|Madhubala|Jay Bhanushali|entertainment|ashish|Arhaan Behl

Rugged looks rule the small screen

Chocolate boy looks are passe. Now it's time to sport a stubble and get all the girls swoon over you. Today rugged looks not only rule the silver screen, but even the small screen. From the glamour laced world of entertainment to the man on the street, everyone wants the macho look.

Telly heartthrobs are now sporting the five o'clock shadow. Members of the stubbled brigade include: Barun Sobti in Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?, Arhaan Behl in Mann Kee Awaaz Pratigya, Kushal Tandon in Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hain, Gurmeet Choudhary in Punar Vivah — Zindagi Milegi Dobara, Jay Bhanushali in Kairee: Rishta Khatta Meetha, Harshad Chopra in Dil Se Di Dua... Saubhagyavati Bhav?, Anas Rashid in Diya Aur Baati Hum, Vivan D'sena in Madhubala — Ek Ishq Ek Junoon, Kunal Karan Kapoor of Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha, Ashish Sharma in Rab Se Sohna Isshq, Sameer Soni in Parichay — Nayee Zindagi Kay Sapno Ka, Siddharth Shukla in Balika Vadhu — Kacchi Umar ke Pakke Rishte and Avinesh Rekhi in Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat.

Stubbles ensure lots of starry-eyed appreciation from female fans. "Kushal and Barun have always sported a stubble in theirs show, and yet they are very popular among girls. It all depends on the personality of the actor and what suits him. Girls love the unkempt look on men, which is why the stars go for it," says Siddharth P Malhotara, creative director of Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hain.

Agrees producer Sudhir Sharma of Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha, "Unkempt look can be attractive too. It depends on the actor and how he carries it. Karan who is a crime reporter in my show, had to go with a stubble as this look supports his character."

"Few men look good with stubble and that gives them more attitude. While a bearded might be not be appreciated much, a stubble is never a problem and doesn't need much looking after," says producer Bhairavi Raichura of Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat.

So are the actors themselves comfortable sporting a stubble on screen? "I don a rugged look in my show as it was the requirement of my character. And girls love my new look. To maintain the stubble, I shave in the night," shares actor Gurmeet Choudhary. Actor Vivian D'sena too, loves his "unkempt look. A little stubble suits me. In a clean look I am told that I look like a school boy. Audiences love my new look. As an actor, I need to like my look and only then can I convince the audience about my look. To maintain the look I need to trim and maintain my beard on daily basis."

In the frothy world of telly soaps, it's important for the male protagonists to strike a chord with their female audience who comprise a significant chunk of viewers. So, if sporting a rugged and stubbled look make our small screen heartthrobs more droolworthy, and garner more views for their shows, then the real 'close shave' can wait.

swethasyam08 thumbnail
TB: Muskaan Uppal replaced in Colors' Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat
Wednesday, August 08, 2012 | 5:53:58 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)

Arishfa Khan will now be seen playing the character of Geetanjali in the show

Colors' Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat, produced by 24 Frames had been high on its thrilling content when it began. The storyline of the show has been shifted to a paranormal setup with the entry of a little girl.

The latest we hear is that Muskaan Uppal who played the role of the little child has now been replaced by Arishfa Khan who will now essay the character  of Geetanjali in the forthcoming episode.

She will help Aditi (Hunar Hali) to uncover Ija's face in front of the entire family. Arishfa Khan will enter the show from Friday's episode.

Reporter: Ranjini Nair

https://www.india-forums.com/tellybuzz/buzzin-hot/12479-muskaan-uppal-replaced-in-colors-chhal-sheh-aur-maat.htm
swethasyam08 thumbnail
TOI: Clean-shaven is out, it's stubble now for telly gang!
TNN | Aug 11, 2012, 12.00AM IST

Read more:Women|Sushant Singh Rajput|sushant singh|suits|Sameer Soni|ranbir kapoor|Nikhil Arya|Madhubala|Harshad Chopra|Barun Sobti|ashish|Arhaan Behl

Clean-shaven is out, it's stubble now for telly gang!

Times have changed and so have trends on the small screen. The chocolate boy look that ruled tellyland at one point is totally out with most top TV guys sporting the stubble. The list includes: Barun Sobti in Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?, Arhaan Behl in Mann Kee Awaaz Pratigya, Kushal Tandon in Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hain, Gurmeet Choudhary in Punar Vivah — Zindagi Milegi Dobara, Jay Bhanushali in Kairee: Rishta Khatta Meetha, Anas Rashid and Gautam Gulati in Diya Aur Baati Hum, Vivan D'sena in Madhubala — Ek Ishq Ek Junoon, Kunal Karan Kapoor of Na Bole Tum Na Maine Kuch Kaha, ashish Sharma in Rab Se Sohna Isshq, Sameer Soni in Parichay —Nayee Zindagi Kay Sapno Ka, Siddharth Shukla in Balika Vadhu and Avinesh Rekhi in Chhal-Sheh Aur Maat.

The main reason for this is the changing taste among female fans, who seem to like the macho look better. There was a time, when producers asked for the actor to be clean-shaven, but today it's the other way round. Like actor Gurmeet Choudhary, who's changed his appearance for his show, says, "I don a rugged look in my show as it was the requirement of my character. And let me tell you that the girls love it. To maintain it, I just need to change my shaving schedule. Instead of shaving in the morning, I do it in the night."

Actor Vivian D'sena too has started loving his unkempt look. "Little stubble suits me. I am told that I look like a school boy in a clean-shaven look. As an actor, I personally need to like my look and only then can I convince the audience about the change in my appearance. My fiance Vahbbiz Dorabjee is quite excited about my stubble look." So, does he find it hard to maintain his beard on a regular basis? "It isn't difficult at all, but I need to take constant care which isn't a problem for me," says Vivian.

Of course, this trend isn't entirely new. It started a couple of years ago with cool dudes like Karan Singh Grover, Nikhil Arya and Sushant Singh Rajput, among others, making it popular. But now it seems like it's here to stay...

Kritika Kamra These days the male leads are not playing college boys. They are not shown as 19 or 20 years old. They are portrayed as married and mature, so perhaps that is the reason most of them are sporting a stubble and they can't be given the chocolate boy look. I like the rugged look, but stubble looks nice on certain men, not everybody can pull it off.

Hina Khan In my show, my hero is a chocolate boy. But I like hunks with a good body and stubble. Which girl doesn't like men with a certain style and charisma? I wouldn't like my guy to look like a mama's boy, or someone with male features but feminine looks!

Ragini Khanna Usually, the female lead is shown nice and sweet and to complement her these days we have guys with stubble. Even in movies these days you will find macho men. Actually, it is not just about films and television, even in real life girls prefer men over boys, and as we say dream man and never dream boy. It is more aspirational. Guys with a rugged look come across as more mature and dependable.

Drashti Dhami I prefer chocolate boy looks because they look more innocent. These days lot of guys on television are seen in a macho look, but I don't like what has become too common. And the actor I like the most in a chocolate boy look is ranbir kapoor followed by Shahid Kapoor. In Rock On, Ranbir tried looking rough but finally he was liked in his clean-shaven avatar.

Pooja Gor Thank God that the rugged look is back. Guys with stubble look more casual and natural. It doesn't look made up. I don't like it when guys work on their looks, their hair and face. They look more real in that rough look. As a teenager I liked the chocolate boy look but that has changed.

Ankita Lokhande Sushant was the first one to sport the macho look on television. Since, he was my co-star, I started liking the look. He played a mechanic and was seen wearing a check shirt, jeans, chappals and messy hair. It was a casual look. I really loved that look a lot. When I was in my teens I may have liked the clean-shaven look but now it is definitely macho men in stubble.

Seema Sinha and Amrita Mulchandani

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Clean-shaven-is-out-its-stubble-now-for-telly-gang/articleshow/15434508.cms

swethasyam08 thumbnail

TB: 'Kabir is not a regular daily soap character'- Avinesh Rekhi

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 | 6:22:42 PM IST (+05:30 GMT)

Tellybuzz talks to Avinesh Rekhi protagonist of Chhal ' Sheh Aur Maat on Colors

Please tell me about your hometown and family background. 
My hometown is Chandigarh. My mother Darshan Rekhi is a housewife and my father M.P.Singh Rekhi is into business. I have an elder brother who is based in Australia and is in the army there. 

You have had to struggle a lot, right?
My struggle period was long and I have been through many ups and downs in life. In between I had also gone to Australia to pursue further studies because I wanted to secure my future. Becoming an actor was my decision but I have got full support from my parents. After my first show Chhal Sheh Aur Maat came on air, my relatives and folks have been very happy and they all are very glad to see me every day on the screen. 

Please tell me about your education.

I did my schooling from St.Xaviers and then passed from DAV College Sector 1.  Later I went to Adelaide to pursue my Masters in Computer Science. 

Did you have to prepare for your role in Chhal?
I am an actor who is a director's actor. Chhal Sheh Aur Maat is my first show and everyday on the set I am learning many new things related to acting and performance. There was no workshop for me, I immediately started shooting. My director is helping me a lot to understand the nuances of the character of Kabir. I consider this show as my ideal launch pad. I am so grateful to 24 Frames who have given me this opportunity - because Kabir is not a regular daily soap character - he has multiple layers of emotions. An actor can really come out with a nice performance with this character. 

Chhal's TRP isn't that high. Please comment.
 I don't have a vast knowledge of TRP. I do know about it but not in detail so won't be able to comment on this. But I would like to mention that whenever I meet outsiders they all say good things about the show. Chhal Sheh Aur Maat  is a kind of show which requires a lot of preparation for its shoots. Most of the time the shoots are happening in dark. A lot of activity has to be undertaken to give the right light to the scene and the camera angle has to be very specific. So the cast and crew are always on their toes. I guess in some time we will be able to gain a better TRP. We are hopeful that the audience will watch our show because we are offering something which is new. 

What do you like to read?
 I am quite fond of reading and my interest in mystery novels also helps me get into my character Kabir. My all time favorites are Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Kemelman and Paulo Coelho. 

Which historical character would you like to play given the opportunity?
Shahid Bhagat Singh and Shaheed Udham Singh - these two freedom fighters from Punjab have given their blood and soul to our country and more people should come to know about their sacrifices.  

What about the Indian TV industry would you like to change?

I am still very new to this industry to comment. But from what I have noticed in the last few years is that shows are mostly women centric. If I have the power and opportunity then I guess I would make more shows which can cater to all of us. Men and the kids can also have their portions of shows. In an Indian family we  mostly have parents and their kids, so there has to be an offering for people from all age brackets.  

Reporter: Pallavi Bhattacharya

http://www.india-forums.com/tellybuzz/starry-takes/12592-kabir-is-not-a-regular-daily-soap-character-avinesh-rekhi.htm

Edited by swethasyam08 - 11 years ago
swethasyam08 thumbnail
TOI:  Men don't cry unless needed: Avinesh
Bushra Khan, TNN | Aug 27, 2012, 05.53PM IST

Men don't cry unless needed: Avinesh

Actor Avinesh Rekhi recently went through a very tough professional phase. The actor is currently seen in Bhairavi Raichura's show Chhal Sheh Aur Maat as the intense Kabir.

"There was this scene where Kabir goes through an emotional breakdown after which the audience comes to know of his positive side. The scene required a lot of tear-shedding. I was informed about the shot five days before the shoot and was damn nervous because I have to cry for a long time in the scene!" says the actor.

Though Rekhi was informed about it well in advance those five days were spent in intense trepidation and anxiety about delivering the shoot right. Since when did crying become such a task you may ask. Rekhi has his reasons. "Men don't cry usually and I am not comfortable crying in front of so many people. I used glycerine so tears were coming out from my eyes but apart from that I had to say my dialogues with lots of expression. Believe me it's not an easy job," says Rekhi.

The entire episode was focused on Rekhi and his performance was well received by the cast and crew who were present on the set. Speaking about his character in the show Rekhi says, "My role has so many different layers of emotions that I am glad I got such a show to debut in. However, despite crying, I would say men don't cry unless needed!"

Check out TV Star Homepages

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Men-dont-cry-unless-needed-Avinesh/articleshow/15828871.cms
swethasyam08 thumbnail
TOI: Will Avinesh play Ekta's Akbar?
Neha Maheshwri, TNN | Sep 18, 2012, 12.00AM IST

Will Avinesh play Ekta's Akbar?

Avinesh Rekhi is one lucky actor. Even before his debut show, Chhal — Sheh Aur Maat has ended, the actor apparently has already got an offer to play the central character in producer Ekta Kapoor's most ambitious show, the period love-story Jodha Akbar.

Sources inform that Avinesh has been approached by Kapoor to play Akbar in the show. Incidentally, Ekta has been looking for suitable faces to play the lead couple for the longest time now. With Avinesh finalised as Akbar, half the job's done.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Will-Avinesh-play-Ektas-Akbar/articleshow/16434811.cms

swethasyam08 thumbnail
TOI: Bad actors don't matter, only concept does: Hunar
Purva Desai, TNN | Oct 14, 2012, 04.37PM IST

Read more:HUNAR HALI|Chhal- Sheh Aur Maat

Bad actors don't matter, only concept does: Hunar
Chhal- Sheh Aur Maat, where she played the dual characters of Aditi and Neha. But in spite of all the hard work by all the actors, Chhal bid adieu to viewers on 5th October. The reason was the TRPs which the show failed to garner.

Hunar speaks about her Chhal experience, "I was disappointed about Chhal not taking off. The show did not do well not because of the actors. Somewhere we went wrong. Playing Aditi was not right. Only Neha should have been there. Till I played Neha, audiences loved me. That's why the poor TRPs. But that's my personal opinion. But whether the show is a hit or miss, people do comment on your acting. Ultimately your work counts and people see how much effort we put in and appreciate you as an actor".

Adding, "Shows doesn't matter. Today, many shows are running on the concept and story and not because of the actors or their acting. And still they become a hit! Then having bad actors in not important. And ultimately, TRPs are not in your hand".

Hunar is currently considering her options post Chhal going off air. "There are things in the pipeline but it's too premature to talk about it right now".