Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Singer is imp, sure 😆 orelse who will sing. Kiddin. I meant big names or pro's are not required for a song to get popular. Song can be popular with a average singer singing it .i.e song becoming hit doesn't depend on who sings it. 😊

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

I still think everything has to come together to make the song work. Singer is an important aspect too !
(although sometimes I wonder what makes certains songs like "oops i did it again" as popular as they were and how important is the singing ability after all)

I agree😳. Gulzar sahab was amused that his 'Beedi jalaile' caught more attention and liked by many, more than his other songs. Now why was beedi jalaile a hit? I don't know if it was Gulzar sahab's lyrics or Sunidhi's rendition or the phataka music😆.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

I agree😳. Gulzar sahab was amused that his 'Beedi jalaile' caught more attention and liked by many, more than his other songs. Now why was beedi jalaile a hit? I don't know if it was Gulzar sahab's lyrics or Sunidhi's rendition or the phataka music😆.

u forgot to add bipasha 😡 ,
gulzar?.. who? sunidhi?... who?
bips?  voila!! 😉

wildchild thumbnail
it tink both however in sum cases da singer mke da sng
mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: T.

What in your opinion makes a song work? Is it the singer or the song itself? Any specific examples? 

I choose to respond to this keeping India as the subject.
I think the reasons why particular songs become hits change with time and evolution of media and globalization.   If good singer could make a song hit, there would have been no relatively unknows songs sung by Lata / Talat / Bade Ghulam Ali and other maestros.  In old days, lyrics were primary and melodies and great voices and singing capabilities mad ethe songs wholesome.  With the influence of Western music, rock and roll, popularity of television, songs to which people saw pretty heroins and hunky heros dancing to became popular (shammi kapoor asha parekh hits for example).  Slowly, singers like Asha stepped on stage / into music videos following Western video footsteps and started adding their personality and their presence to the songs.  Beats and voice began to surpass the depth of lyrics although one cannot generalize.  There are some great songs with great lyrics written even today.  Finally, with a complete pop star image make over of Indian movie stars,  songs like "Say na say na, how you said it to me", "crazy kiya re", "rock n roll soniye", "my mama told me- don't be talking to stranger, stranger is danger", "dhoom macha le, come on u people.".  etc are now popular.  I do not criticize the singers / their ability to sing in today's scenario.  I guess what makes a song HIT has changed over time and it continues to be a rapid process.  I do not think that someone like Himesh reshammiya would have been appreciated by my father's generation (I could be wrong, I realize that) .  He would have fallen out of place to either become a trend setter / to be forgotten.  Today, he is a hit.  What makes a song hit is the trend, the time, the situation, apart from singer and music.

What makes a song a classic??  Now that requires great lyrics, awesome singer and fine tune and depth.. "Ae mere watan ke logo" will remain a hit forever in times when there is no war, and even in future times when none of the masters who created the gem will be alive.  I really think so!
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
tina59 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
i think it depends on the music and its more important to make the song a success , I mean if the tune is catchy , the song would become a hit .

for eg A.R.Rahman's songs are a hot coz his music and tunes are catchy and great . He picks up new singers all the time , he has introduced so many singers but yet the song became huge hits mainly coz of his music and beats .

I think more than the singer , its mainly the tunes that makes the song catchy and a hit