PSH. Ep.3 - Impressions

Posted: 11 years ago
Casting so far as I know: (please correct me if I am wrong) I'll be referring to actors when talking about acting and screen presence etc. And I'll refer to character names when talking of story movements and trends or commenting on a character but not the actor.

Narayani Shastri- Gulabia (Sugni's mother)
Varun Badola - Thankur Vikram Singh
Gulki Joshi - Sugni (female lead)
Ravinder Mankani -
Thakur Jwala Singh(Sugni's father)
Jyoti Gauba - Thakur Jwala Singh's legal wife (thakurain)
Ankit Arora -
Thakur Jwala Singh's legal son and Sugni's half brother
Nimai  Bali - Sugni's elder Mama
Sikandar Kharbanda - Sugni's younger Mama

Hmmm, so today we see a lot of trends being established, an indication of things to come.

Like the earlier two episodes Narayani yet again fails to deliver. I have a feeling she's spending more time on her looks than on getting under the skin of her character. The pathos that should've been there in her when her brothers are trying to get her daughter ready for the Rai, was simply missing altogether.

Varun on the other hand established his screen presence from the word go. The silent amusement, the nonchalance, his body language everything was perfect.

Gulki is improving, but I think I'm looking for the impossible in her. I wnt to see her face light up when she talks of going to the city. I want to see stubborn defiance in her face when she says she won't dance. I want to see her eyes light up when she talks of her marriage. There's still time for her to get that right. If a seasoned actor like Narayani is unable to some to grips with her character, then a long rope should be given to a first-timer.

The star of the show today for me was Jyoti. Her anger at her son, her frustration with her husband, the pain of humiliation, it all shown through in those buckets of water.

But today's episode was more symbolic than anything else. Sugni getting a captive butterfly and letting it fly away while Gulabia watches.

Thakurain trying to wash away the sins committed by her son but being told by the priest that she has to wait till the gods wake up, and yet the Thakurain insisting on fighting the evil. Her anger with her husband who simply ignores her and his son and turns his back on them. The son shivering but gamely putting up with the punishment being meted out by his mother.

Sugni planning to run away and finding a small means to make her escape and struggling at it. Thakur Vikram warning Sugni "what if I'm the evil thakur who holds you prisoner"; and then Sugni taking that moment to ask him to get away because she's found the right passenger. But was it a sinister warning also - the passenger was the wrong one after all and Thankur Vikram waited at Sugni's destination.
Hey Chitrashi,

I completely agree with you.. Regarding Sugni I want to see some priceless expressions in her face when she talks about her dream which kinda seems lacking at this point.. But yes she is a new comer and I m looking fwd to see her relating more with her character..

And yes on today's epi my brownie points goes to the THAKURAIN as well.. Loved her acting and the way she delivered all the dialouges were just too good.. She actually seems to relate with the character..

And all other characters. I m yet to analyse them.. I m enjoying this show now and hope it will keep up the good wrk..

Hi chitra...

Well I totally agree that Narayani again failed to deliver ,But the butterfly scene was beautifully done.Connected much better than the other ones.I loved Varun's entry,😳The body language,the drawl in his speech and his heere amusement and smirk while enjoying her antics was very interestingly done.Need I say that both of them Suguni and Vikram shared an interesting camaraderie.The rickshaw scene was innovative,Not seen on TV ..But Somehow it reminded me of Basanti of sholey..with her non stop blabber.I was in splits when she calls the thakur a "Jeev" -"Aaap wo pehle jeev ho jise meri jaldi jaldi ki bhasha samjh mein aa gayi...

I must admit,that though Varun is supposed to be negative but this episode left me in awe of the instant and interesting chemistry of Suguni and Vikram.Though I agree with your statement about the potent threat in future.But I am yet to hate the thakur as of now.

Oh and Yes Suguni's reply to the threat was equally interesting.Loved it...

P.S-I made a complete bakra of myself on your post yesterday as I never knew that Gulki was the actress name.Silly meπŸ˜†

-Piu

Edited by manzilmukul - 11 years ago
Can't blame you on yesterday's mu, Piu. There are two outlandish names we have been introduced to in one go - Gulki and Sugni. I should'v eat least used her full name so it might've been clear that I was talking of the actor.

And yes Varun clearl dominated the screen today. He's still got that presence. I missed it in in those inane comic shows he did on DD and Sab. I would hate to see him negative though, ever since the news came that he would play the evil Thakur, I've been hoping for another Bairi Piya.
Todays Episode once again πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Guys i feel narayani was fantastic... u guys still have not got the core of the show... y will narayani feel too bad when the brothers r telling sugni to dance or do rai... well uncerstand one things its a way of living for them doin rai or sar dhakai is not forced on these women... to what i understand is that women of the house r mentally prepared for all of this and yes i have also reaad some loose artice on that ... the butterfly scene was fantastic... the problem with us indian audince is we r so bloody used to the rona dhona we want it every where... its a beautiful show ... kudos to the makers and specially the Writers and The Director...

Bravo Fantastic job ppl...
I think you are  wrong in assuming that Gulabia is into this profession out of her own free will. If she was, she would not teach her daughter to scorn Raai. Sugni would not dream of running away if her mother did not detest the life she is leading. But most important of all is the title of the show. It is "Phisr Subah Hogi" meaning the sun will rise again; and not "Kabhi Subah Hogi" (sun will rise some day). The title says that Gulabia tried to escape this life but was brought back into it; and now she has given away her dream to her daughter.

And no I don't like "rona-dhona" serials at all. The shows I follow are all the ones that have a positive atmosphere. But there is another moot point. No woman would get into this profession out of her own free will. There would be external circumstances that would force her into it.

Even with the tribe, it is because they are forced by their own family to get into this profession that the women lead such lives. Didn't you wonder, if all the women in the tribe are into this profession, where did Sugni's Mamas find their wives?

Yes there are real villages where all women are into this profession, but they take it up because of extreme poverty and lack of other means of livelihood. In real life there is no lavish lifestyle for them and no rich Thakurs protecting his particular keep, but an entire village waiting for those random truck drivers that pass through. There's no romance but extreme squalor and numerous diseases in these villages. So let's keep the fiction to fiction, because reality is far too stark for  anyone of us to even begin to grapple with.
Varun is a damn fine actor, he does the nonchalant sarcasm thing so well. I'm looking forward to see his character development. And it is good to see him in this role after all those hammy comedies.

Gulki is still a bit raw, but in a way she suits her role. She's still a child, she doesn't quite understand the degradation she needs to escape because she hasn't faced it, only seen or heard of it. Hence her naive bravado is quite touching. How she will do in a big emotional scene remains to be seen, but for now she is quite good.

Narayani, I must say I am conflicted about her character. First, it could be that she hates her situation (hence Sugni's hatred) but is resigned to it. I would still expect to see some sorrow on her face at the thought of her daughter going to the rai dance then. Second, it could be that she has embraced this as the only lifestyle like her brothers, in which case it is odd that Sugni is a rebel, someone should have sparked the rebellion if not her mother. I wish they would show a bit more back story to make this clear.

This reminds me of a bengali film where the mother was a prostitute and wanted to get her daughter a regular customer, while the daughter wanted to study, spurred by her teacher at school. The mother there was absolutely marvelously etched, she didn't like her life but truly believed that was the only life possible for her daughter, and hence had no hesitation in trying to crush her dreams to get her the financial and physical security a regular customer would provide. I wish I could see some sort of nuance in Narayani's character that would explain what Gulabiya really thinks of her daughter's future. She possibly doesn't believe Sugni's wild dream of running away to the city, and clearly loves her, but does she see her as a rai dancer or not?πŸ˜•

And yes, the Thakurain was marvelous in that scene where she dunked her son, her rage and frustration were warping the very air around her.πŸ‘
Edited by atria - 11 years ago
Hi, my first post here commenting on the show.

I watched the first two episodes, still to watch todays,  on the recommendation of one of my friends here on IF and i found the story interesting and shocking, does this happen in real life?
Sugnis uncle looking forward to having a baby girl so she can be "married" to a thakur and his wife also having no qualms about it.
Sugnis the usual female lead  who has her own dreams and wanting to break free from what is set out for her. She has guts and is not afraid to say or do what she feels is right no matter who she is up against.

Well looking forward to seeing how she manages to escape from what is expected of her.

Originally posted by atria

Varun is a damn fine actor, he does the nonchalant sarcasm thing so well. I'm looking forward to see his character development. And it is good to see him in this role after all those hammy comedies.

Gulki is still a bit raw, but in a way she suits her role. She's still a child, she doesn't quite understand the degradation she needs to escape because she hasn't faced it, only seen or heard of it. Hence her naive bravado is quite touching. How she will do in a big emotional scene remains to be seen, but for now she is quite good.

Narayani, I must say I am conflicted about her character. First, it could be that she hates her situation (hence Sugni's hatred) but is resigned to it. I would still expect to see some sorrow on her face at the thought of her daughter going to the rai dance then. Second, it could be that she has embraced this as the only lifestyle like her brothers, in which case it is odd that Sugni is a rebel, someone should have sparked the rebellion if not her mother. I wish they would show a bit more back story to make this clear.

This reminds me of a bengali film where the mother was a prostitute and wanted to get her daughter a regular customer, while the daughter wanted to study, spurred by her teacher at school. The mother there was absolutely marvelously etched, she didn't like her life but truly believed that was the only life possible for her daughter, and hence had no hesitation in trying to crush her dreams to get her the financial and physical security a regular customer would provide. I wish I could see some sort of nuance in Narayani's character that would explain what Gulabiya really thinks of her daughter's future. She possibly doesn't believe Sugni's wild dream of running away to the city, and clearly loves her, but does she see her as a rai dancer or not?πŸ˜•

And yes, the Thakurain was marvelous in that scene where she dunked her son, her rage and frustration were warping the very air around her.πŸ‘

What is the name of the bengali film you mentioned? 
Havent see the episode yet - not shown yet but i am eagerly waiting to see what happens- will comment after