Kya Huaa Tera Vaada

Women on TV match men in pay--Mona

blyton thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Women on TV leave filmdom behind, match men in pay
Bharti Dubey,TNN | May 20, 2012, 02.30AM IST 
MUMBAI: Contrary to the world of films, television is a medium where disparity between men and women does not exist and women are treated on an even keel. An actor like Sakshi Tanwar commands the same remuneration as her counterpart Ram Kapoor in the hugely popular television show Bade Achche Lagte Hain. The Queen Bee of Indian television Ekta Kapoor said, "There is no gender bias and the two actors are paid the same amount."

Though Vidya Balan is trying to bring about a change in the world of cinema by making films with women work at the box office, the film industry is still a male dominated space. Kareena Kapoor and Katrina Kaif may be very popular, but they don't really get credit for their contribution to a successful movie. Scriptwriter Dr Chandraprakash Dwivedi, who has been the creative head of a television channel in the late 90s, said, "During my time, the content used to be male dominated but when it came to remuneration, everybody was equal. Rajendra Gupta and Neena Gupta drew the same salary."

Television is all about the popularity of the show and the character one plays in a particular show. There have been characters like Ammaji, Daya, Tulsi, Prerna, Anandi and Mihir who have become immortal on television. An industry insider said, "When Smriti Irani quit Kyunki Saas..., she drew Rs 60,000 an episode, which was probably the highest remuneration at that time." Avika Gor, who played the young Anandi in Balika Vadhu, earns Rs 35,000 a day.

Television actors charge on a per-day basis. A range of top actors like Ram Kapoor, Sakshi Tanwar, Meghna Malik and Mona Singh draw a fee of Rs 60,000-1 lakh per day. Shweta Tiwari, who shot to fame as Prerna in Kasauti Zindagi Ki, today is one of the most popular faces on television. Tiwari, an A-list actor who shoots 25 days in a month, said, "There is absolutely no gender bias in the television industry. In fact, I feel that it is a female dominated industry. As far as remuneration is concerned, it depends on the popularity of the actor, whether male or female. I believe that Ram and Sakshi will get the same remuneration as their characters are equally popular."

Television actors have also started endorsing products. Sakshi Tanwar, Priyal Gor, Ronit Roy, Shweta Tiwari and Ritwik Dhanjani have been getting brand endorsements offers. A marketing strategist said, "It helps the product in a big way. One gets a popular television face, whose visibility on television is 100 times more than a film star, and the cost works out to one hundredth of the remuneration of film stars."

Sakshi Tanwar, who is estimated to be earning about Rs 75,000 a day and shooting about 15 to 20 days a month for her serial, earns in lakhs through product endorsements. Tiwari said, "We do almost the same things like film stars. The only difference is that we are paid in lakhs and they earn in crores." Newcomers on television start with a salary of Rs 2,500 per day and as per contract are entitled to a 10% hike every year. An industry insider said, "This can vary and it depends on the popularity of the serial. If both the serial and the character are appreciated, the salaries are doubled. At times, the actor demands a hike and threatens to quit if not given the same."

The production and direction departments, however, are largely dominated by men. Writer/director Vinta Nanda said, "Men in general don't feel comfortable dealing with women when it comes to financial issues, or making deals. I have faced that problem often and very recently when a deal I was trying to crack desperately seemed to be falling apart, a dear friend, a woman, actually advised me to get one of my male colleagues to deal with the men at the other end on my behalf, because she said the guys I was trying to crack a deal with may not be comfortable talking money with a woman. When I took her advice and put a male colleague between myself and the business associates, it worked.''

http://sp.m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/13309025.cms

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

blyton thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I remember Mona was one of the highest-paid actors in the TV industry even when she was doing Jassi; plus all the endorsements she did and the contract she signed with Sony to be brand ambassador (Rs. 2.5 crores!) put her in the big league.
shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Thanks for sharing, interesting to note that women on Tv match the payscale and some fine actresses.