• Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 11 years ago

Prime time's new name game

Amrita Mulchandani, TNN | Jun 6, 2012, 04.10PM IST
Read More:Yahaaan Mein Ghar Ghar Kheli|Saath Nibhaana Saathiya
Prime time's new name game
A still from Saath Nibhaana Saathiya
How does that extra 'a' or 'n' as a suffix add to a show title? Lots. While Tellywood has seen showmakers embracing many stratagems to grab more eyeballs for their respective shows, creative brainstorming — so far as show's nomenclature goes, the television industry is leaving no stone unturned to think about all possible measures. One way is to think what the numbers add up to. The end result — show titles where numerology rules.

While numerology has become quintessential for people in all walks of life, showbiz is resorting to naming shows with the help of numerology. The way show names are getting different and interesting spellings makes the 'name game' all the more interesting. But the million rupee question remains as to what extent does a show benefit from this. For that matter, does it really help in making the show a success? Does it help in creating positive vibes on the sets?

Sample this. Shows like Yahaaan Main Ghar Ghar Kheli, Byaah Humari Bahoo Ka, Ek Doosre Se Karte Hain Pyaar Hum, Parvarrish — Kuchh Khatti Kuchh Meethi, Kya Huaa Tera Vaada, Bade Achhe Laggte Hai, Saas Bina Sasuraal, Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?, Mann Kee Awaaz Pratigya, Hamari Saass Leela, Balika Vadhu — Kacchi Umar Ke Pakke Rishte, Parichay — Nayee Zindagi Kay Sapno Ka, Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah et al are among shows to have embraced numerology in show titles.

Producer Asit Kumar Modi of Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah and Hamari Saass Leelasays, "Numerology is science and if applied properly, it can be beneficial. I believe in it, but don't follow it blindly. It has definitely brought in positive atmosphere on the sets among the entire cast/crew. When the technical team and actors are happy, it reflects in the results, which are always good."

Producer Pearl Grey of Mann Kee Awaaz Pratigya says, "I believe in numerology. But I don't consider it when it comes to my show titles. There was a time when all my shows started with 'C', but it has changed."

Do titles based on numerology really help grabbing more TRPs? "Shows are not successful because of numerology, but because of the content, says Asit adding, "Good content that the audience relates to, always works well," says Asit.

Creative director, Chloe Ferns of Kya Huaa Tera Vaada says, "We check if the title will work for us or not. We don't have a fixation with any alphabet. 'K' was there, but now that has vanished from our production house. Everyone checks the title of the shows with the astrologers and so do we, but we don't add alphabets because of numerology."

Sometimes, popular belief acts as a catalyst in the creative thought process. As producer Deeya Singh of Parvarrish — Kuchh Khatti Kuchh Meethi says, "I don't believe in numerology at all. However, sometimes there are people around me who believe in it and their viewpoint is respected as we choose to apply the same it in titles."

Producer Aatish Kapadia of Byaah Humari Bahoo Ka and Ek Doosre Se Karte Hain Pyaar Hum says, "Titles should be phonetically right and suitable to the content."Titles, according to Deeya got to be apt. "Titles have to be apt as they help to market the show. They need to signify what the story is all about in a gist," says Deeya. Agrees Chloe, who says, "We write the story first and then pick the best title. It is vital for the title to have a summary of the show concept."

At the same time, Pearl says, "Titles aren't important. A show is successful because of its content. Once the show reaches at the peak, no one thinks about the title. If the show clicks with the audience, nothing else matters."
Thanks for the article Armu jaan ! 🤗
Thanks for sharing Tanu! 🤗