Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
Oz the Great and Powerful

I went off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz!

It is hard to create a prequel to something as iconic as the Wizard of Oz. Despite the low budget and cheesy animation, the original still remains a classic. So Disney had quite a task before them. Although the film is flawed, it is a fun and enjoyable prequel to the beloved film.

The star cast is stellar. James Franco is a lovable scoundrel as the conniving trickster Oz. He carries on the role with style and panache. Michelle Williams is ideally suited for the role of Glinda. Rachel Weisz is brilliant as a wicked witch. Her acting and expressions are awesome. But the revelation in this film is Mila Kunis. She pulls of a stunner and proves that she is not just a pretty face.

Of course the best part of the film is the animation and special effects. Disney did a great job with 3D. This is the kind of film that comes alive with 3D technology. And to be honest, I actually enjoyed the classic old school 35 mm black and white scenes in 3D. I think they need to make a 35 mm black and white 3d film.  The transition from black and white to color was stunningly done.

The script is a bit slow and jarred, but flows well. There are many references to the original Oz film, so keep an eye and ear out. There is plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor like China Town and the sequences with China girl. There is also the statutory quick blink and miss Wisconsin reference, two if you count the "moo".

Overall a fun film.

8/10

PS: I had a hard time keeping my Wicked fanaticism in check. It is so hard to forget about Glinda and Elphaba.

We are Wisconsin

It is a documentary and politics as usual, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea. It is free to stream Mar 7 to 11, so I watched it this weekend. I was part of the protests and spent many weekends at the capital. So watching this was a surreal re-experience of history I had been part of. I think the documentary is very well done. It captures the time line, the spirit of the people, and the key issues behind the Wisconsin uprising.

As a liberal, this touches my bleeding blue heart and makes it bleed more blue. It also makes me realize why I love Mad Town so much and won't budge. 

As a pragmatic, they don't flesh out the facts and issues as well as they could have. They gloss over many details. They don't build the relevance and explain perspectives. Conservatives will find it hard to buy and swallow - because it doesn't try to appeal to them.

7/10

Watch it if you're interested in US politics, liberal issues and WI.

Edited by return_to_hades - 11 years ago
PigBenis thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Inkaar

Certainly the best film I've seen this year. A mature film with very realistic touch to it. Sudhir Mishra has nailed it. Loved every bit of the movie! Usually in the sexual harassment centered films women are shown as victims but this time we get to see two sides of the story with quite a good balance and honesty. It's hard to determine who's the victim or if there's any victim at all till the end. I don't wanna ruin it for people who haven't watched but overall it's a very good mature film and certainly a different film but very good film in Bollywood after a long time.

5/5
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Inkaar: Meehhh Meehhh Meehhh.. I guess it was okay.. nothing much to say.. I liked Arjun in it 2.5/5

Table no 21: Ohhh Lovedd itt.. it held me from beginning till the end and the climax OMG gave me goosebumps.. a very good film 4/5

Endukante Premanta (Telugu):
Tamannah and Ram make an adorable couple together wish they had more real scenes together..the story was inspired from just like heaven which was also made in hindi as I see you but I'll prefer the Telugu version better.. it could've been much much better but it was not as bad 3/5

Vshwaroop: I'm so glad I watched this.. I was passing it by saying it's a stupid movie it's actually good.. I really liked it.. I'm waiting for the sequel too.. I hope it's even better.. The new girl who played Kamal Hassan's wife was so good.. 3.5/5

Snitch: Watched it today and I really liked it.. the plot was engaging.. Duwayne Johnson is so good.. The guy who played Daniel was equally good.. 3.5/5

Bridges of Madison County (1995) - Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep.

It's a slow film but a very mature love story. You'd see an old man fall in love with a middle aged woman. They spend time together for four days and decide not to meet again.

Overall, a great watch. I'm not a fan of romance, but watched it on recommendation and of course Meryl Streep.

8/10
PigBenis thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Table No. 21

Now this is what I call a thriller. One of the best ever in Bollywood. Aditya Dutt has nailed it. Had me hooked from beginning all the way till the end. Direction, screenplay, execution, performance everything was beyond perfect in the movie. The ending was the strongest point of the film, totally mind-blowing. It's all based on real life events and Aditya executed everything very well in the film. Not every 'joke/fun' is funny and you won't realize it until it happens to you. It's a pity that films like this go underrated and unnoticed while crap films get praises and praises. I don't want to ruin it for anybody but it's a must watch!

5/5
-Mmmmm- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
New thread,

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3481670

Topic Closed.