Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
Shanghai

You need to be attentive for this one, proper. From the intro to the end, each and every detail is so so important to keep in mind.. that was my folly.. I kinda overlooked much of the very beginning, because I thought they're just trying to set the stage and introduce each character's personality, but boy was I wrong πŸ˜†

Dibaker has a very peculiar way of directing, noticed this right away after I thought of Oye Lucky Lucky Oye after watching Shanghai... the way he uses dialogs, then cuts to a scene almost immediately, his focus on super duper close up expressions, the way he puts more emphasis on physical actions than making emotional dialogues.. its an out and out Dibaker movie, and I think it's his best one yet.

Won't narrate the story because thats the prime "thrill" in this political thriller... all that I will say is that I was mighty impressed by teh way it unravelled. Loved the cinematography, though the pacing is very slow indeed. There are select scenes though that proper blow your mind, and will probably disturb the sensitive folk.. but they're handled so, sooo nicely, and are pretty vital to represent the passion that Kalki's character fights with

Performances were tooo good to be true. Kalki has indeed played the disturbed, angry chick one too many times, but she just does it so amazingly! Her expressions are baap...
Abhay Deol was great =) To be fair though, he had limited scope, though his role is vital to the storyline, he does't get loads of screentime.. nonetheless he makes a great impact, he's convincing as the character he plays... he's sooo kickass in the end xD

My absolute favorite HAS to be EMRAAN HASHMI =D LOOOVED him! He was phenomenal goshh ahaha... whatta surprise package! I never disliked him but I never cared for his loverboy roles to be honest.. THISSS is where he truly shined. He was ugly but so adorable πŸ˜† his confrontation with Kalki is such a great scene... hayyee he will make more fans with this role, guaranteed.

Overall I was very pleased with the movie.. I think it's Dibaker's best, but with taht said, I just wish the pacing was a little easier to follow πŸ˜† In terms of political thrillers, the way he handled it, I rate it much higher than the way Raajneeti was handled, which was a tad too TV-serial-like for me

I don't think my recommendation holds much weight, but I aggressively recommend ya'll to watch it =)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Halo : a very cute innocent movie for kids.A must watch πŸ˜Š
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
My Little Bride (Korean): was soo cuteee.. Adorable to the whole new level.. Loveddd it 
TitansFan thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Khakee... 

Good Story line and great cast ... 

Like the surprise of MahaLakshmi... 

MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Hello Stranger (Thai): One of the best movies I have ever seen, romantic, comedy, sad everything at the same time.. I cried like anything.. the climax is very surprising but I liked it.. The leads are so effin adorable..especially the guy he acted so well.. I need to watch more thai movies now..but I would recommend this to every single person who likes romantic movies.. I wonder how come they never remade it in hindi.. superb movie 4/5

Businessman (Telugu): ARGHHH what a time waste.. I thought it would be good.. it was so stupid.. everybody in Mumbai understands Telugu πŸ‘ everybody in the parliament is telugu πŸ‘ a person with a last name Gokhale speakes everything but hindi and marathi.. yeahh he is fluent in telugu πŸ‘ the police men in Maharashtra do not speak Marathi but Telugu πŸ‘ people living in slums of Dharavi understand everything Mahesh says to them in Telugu πŸ‘.. I was so Annoyed πŸ˜‘ movie made no sense.. Kajal was not needed.. Mahesh looked good but in terms of acting he has done much better before.. this was a big big big let down.. not that I had any expectations from the movie but I didn't know it will be soo stupid.. Sir Osthaara is catchy and that is it 1.5/5

Jaane tu ya jaane na: was coming on tv.. rewatched it for like the 8th time πŸ˜†.. love the movie.. very entertaining.. Genelia and Imran looked very cute..3.5/5
Vedika211 thumbnail
Saw Ferrari Ki Sawari yesterday. It's heartwarming. I think Raj kumar Hirani does what he does best - manipulate your emotions masterfully, so that you are both laughing and crying at the same time. He's the dialogue writer and co-author, and that vision shows. 
The ensemble cast is great - most of them shine in a scene here or there. bowman is superb, and there is a scene with him and another equally powerful actor which is a masterpiece. Sherman is good too, though a bit weak in the climatic scene. The child actor is a delight. 
The best thing for me was the milieu of the film. It's a setting where people cannot afford everything they want. And that's ok. Bollywood usually veers between extreme opulence or glamourised poverty, leading to criminality. Like Do Dooni Chaar before it, this movie shows those that lie somewhere in-between. 
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Agneepath(2012)
I saw it on TV yesterday. Gripping screenplay despite the wafer thin storyline. Acting wise everyone did a good job esp HR. But it was disappointing that the character was so quiet. Only seeti-taali scene was when he kills the bully from Mandwa and introduces himself with his full name.
The biggest disappointment was the climax. How could Kancha so easily beat up a younger and powerful man like Vijay? And then in the end Vijay just picks up Kancha and throws him on the ground and powerful Kancha is flat!
Kancha's character was disappointing too. There was no meat in it despite a big star like Sanjay Dutt being cast for it. PC's character had more meat than Kancha's. Overall a good watch!
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Tere Naal Love Ho Gaya. It was just OK. Quite OTT most of the time. 
Shanghai-

Really liked the movie.The story is gripping and just shows what is happening these days in the country.The set up,performances and cinematography is awesome!Everyone is SO GOOD in their roles.Abhay is really good with the Tamil accent and Kalki,Prosenjit,Supriya Pathak,Farooque Sheikh gives in their best.But the star of the film is Emraan.πŸ‘Superb,I think its his best role till date!His character is hilarious.πŸ˜†There is an equal balance of dramatic and funny scenes in the movie.However,I feel the script could've been a bit more tight,the movie could have been edited better and the climax better explained through voiceover rather than captions.It has an open ended climax so it might be confusing for many,but really liked the final scene in the movie.It just shows whatever change you want to make,the country will remain the same.Also liked how they mentioned Shanghai only in the last dialogue of the movie.

I would've said its a brilliant film it the pace was a bit more faster but nevertheless its a 3.5 from me!πŸ‘πŸΌ
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Saw Madagascar 3 this evening. It was a riot. It was completely over the top, ridiculous and silly - but it is still so much fun. I laughed. What was nice was there were so many kids in the theaters also laughing, that it felt even more happier and funnier to watch.