Enid Blyton defined my childhood :)

Posted: 11 years ago
I remember the very first day I found an old Enid Blyton in an old cupboard of my house-It turned out to be my mom's and as far as I remember it was one of the books of the series of Malory Towers.Needless to say I fell in love with the writer as well as the books-and ever since I was 8 I dreamt of going to a school like Malory Towers and sneaking snacks with friends in the middle of the night, playing pranks on teachers et al!

Later I went on to Famous Five and Secret Seven and in the middle of all those lazy summer days- a bottle of coke and a packet of chips,Enid Blyton made me fall head over heels in love with reading.I don't even remember the number of times I have read those adventures of George Julian Dick Anne and Timmy!! There was something so real and yet so exciting about tree houses and the best part was that in all Enid Blyton books there are descriptions of delicious meal [Greedy me!] So apart from being a good read it has always been something which increased my appetiteπŸ˜†

One beautiful thing about an Enid Blyton is that  all generations can read it without getting bored-My mom used to be a big fan of them and then I grew to love each book till the pages yellowed and maybe down the lane somewhere even my own kids would read it with equal enjoyment!!Even today I can see my younger cousins beginning their journey of reading with a secret seven in hand...that is the magic of the Author whose brilliance can't be conveyed in words!

Today one of the most favourite gifts from my father which I cherish is a three in one version of the famous five-I think the date and the sign says 2003 :) Now I am a teenager and maybe I have reached out to older books,I have even taken to writing fan fiction but the magic of reading was still enlisted in me through those absolutely frigging amazing series of books!!

One of the most hilarious memories of my life was when I realised that Enid Blyton was a woman🀣 No I am seriously not kidding! I had assumed that the person must be a man - i don't know why and then when I was ten *boom* I got to know she was a woman!

Anyhow I still feel a sense of longing to go back to being a kid whenever I see an Enid Blyton stacked in the innumerous bookstores my eyes waver into.It is still equally famous as ever-maybe because childhood surpasses times and countries and you might be sitting in the 21st century but you still can't help shivering in excitement as you read about Tinker and his lighthouse!

In the end all I can say is that this might be the least I can do to appreciate an author who pretty much made my childhood :D When I read the last book of Malory Towers I almost cried because it ended and the child in me made me want to go up there and bring back Enid Blyton to continue what she had left! There are a million abridged versions of her books right now,but no one can ever bring the magic she played about with simple strings of words!

Edited by Amethyst. - 10 years ago
Oh you brought back memories... One of my cousins was an avid reader and during vacations I used to love going to my dadi's house to sit and read her old Enid Blyton books..

Malory Towers was lovely(what was the main girl's name. very uncommon but her best friend was Sally and for some reason I remember Gwen). You remind me that I have to find out about kippers that seemed to have been such a delicacy:) There was another boarding school related series as well with twins (St. Clares??). Then of course there was Famous 5, secret 7, the faraway tree and the wishing chair series

Enid Blyton got me hooked to books and I progressed to Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Harry Potter. I was lucky to have had such a great collection to raid during summer vacations

Originally posted by bulls-eye

Oh you brought back memories... One of my cousins was an avid reader and during vacations I used to love going to my dadi's house to sit and read her old Enid Blyton books..

Malory Towers was lovely(what was the main girl's name. very uncommon but her best friend was Sally and for some reason I remember Gwen). You remind me that I have to find out about kippers that seemed to have been such a delicacy:) There was another boarding school related series as well with twins (St. Clares??). Then of course there was Famous 5, secret 7, the faraway tree and the wishing chair series

Enid Blyton got me hooked to books and I progressed to Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Harry Potter. I was lucky to have had such a great collection to raid during summer vacations

Haha it does for all of us doesn't it? =D I transferred to the city fir education but used to come back to my hometown and hence those memories!Darrell was it?Darrell Rivers or something but I am not sure about the spelling...and yeah I remember Gwen the scowling one πŸ˜† And I remember Irene who loved music and Belinda used to draw scowls of people 🀣 And Oh YES!!Kippers!! I had always wanted to know what the hell they were :P St Clares I did read but I don't remember well though the Faraway series I discovered in my school library =D I love exchanging books and reading-the next time you go back please take me with you ;D I would love to raid the collection :)
@Risha, Yes that was the name.. Darrell.. I remember Irene and Belinda (the bad oneπŸ˜† )

In St. Clares, more than the twins I remember that there was a Spanish girl who came from the circus (Charlotte or something).

Seriously my sister was too much. She has the whole collection of the series I mentioned above though not many of the newer series of Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys. I also lost interest once they joined up.But by then I had found Agatha Christie and my sister has got almost all her books  as well, barring a couple!!!
Oh thanks a lot for sharing you experience regarding Enid blyton. Even i too assumed her as a boy but gradually i checked wiki. Enid blyton fillled ma childhood also with lots of memories with her magical description. Still i love her series like St. Clares and secret seven. Even ma cousins race for her book like i was on ma teens.
Wow thanks for posting this topic .From my childhood days i loved getting lost in the world of books and Enid Blyton books were among the first books i read and made me fall in love of books.
lovely topic by u .thanks again. 
Rish, great to see you here πŸ˜ƒ

Enid Blyton colored my childhood I remember winning a story-telling contest back in grade-2 when I narrated a story written by her. And know what? I even got an Enid Blyton book as a first prize for that contest 🀣

^Aah good ol memories =)
My faves were The Faraway Tree, Malory Towers, The Famous Five and ofcourse, who can forget The Noddy Books? 🀣 Weird, how I used to think Noddy was a girl =/
Well anyway, have a great day Rishu ❀️ πŸ˜ƒ
Definitely! Mine too! πŸ˜ƒ I loved the secret seven series so much that I even convinced all my chaddi-buddies to form a secret society with me as well πŸ˜† and we'd have our secret meetings under bushes (that was our "shed"). Ahh the good ol days πŸ˜Š

Famous Five, The Five Find-Outers, St. Claire's series, Malory Towers and of course the Noddy Books! πŸ˜ƒ Awww shucks, you just brought back so many good memories. I'm 22 now and I still want to pick up an Enid Blyton book and start reading, just to go back to my childhood πŸ˜ƒ
yup enid blyton defines childhood!
i used to love tinkle and enid blyton and yes even i didnt know she was a woman for quite a long time! and i used to think her name is Gid Blyton or sumthing coz of the way her signature used to be on d cover!lol
but yeah i used to love them! but for some reason i never liked famous 5 or secret 7 much maybe coz by the time i found out abt them i was already like 12. :P

She was indeed a great writer. Her books were so engrossing that my mother used to hide my story books coz you know I wont study just read her books. My fav were the naughtiest girl books. Loved them.