Buddha

The 9th avatar of Lord Vishnu???

bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Hi everybody!😊
This is my first topic in this forum (i am just a silent but ardent reader!) and i really hope that someone an give me answers here. This question's been nagging my head for years now but i havent got any satisfactory answers till now and am compelled to ask it here. According to the vedas the 4 yugas are in the proportion of 4:3:2:1 and so is the major 10  avatars of Lord Vishnu i.e.  4 in satya yuga (matsya, kurma , varaha and narasimha) ; 3 in treta yuga ( vamana, parashurama and rama) ; two in dwapar yuga (??) and 1 in kali yuga(upcoming kalki avatar). Now while i am clear on all other yugas, when it comes to dwapar yuga avatars i am very confused as different sources cite differently. Its Balaram and Krishna in Vishishtadvaita philosophy, while Krishna and Buddha in all others (advaita and smartas) and also Balarama and buddha ( in ISKON and bhagvata puran --- they consider Krishna as the source i.e Vishnu himself and not as seperate avatar!😕).  Can someone here PLEASE clear my doubts as to who is the 8th and 9th avatar of Lord Vishnu? I will be very grateful.PLEASE!!!😭

(P.S: I should have probably posted this in Dwapar yuga Discussions thread but there is no current discussion active in that thread so was not sure if anyone will read it. hence posting as a separate topic. Kindly excuse if not correct!)
Edited by bhas1066 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: bhas1066

According to the vedas the 4 yugas are in the proportion of 4:3:2:1 and so is the major 10  avatars of Lord Vishnu i.e.  4 in satya yuga (matsya, kurma , varaha and narasimha) ; 3 in treta yuga ( vamana, parashurama and rama) ; two in dwapar yuga (??) and 1 in kali yuga(upcoming kalki avatar). Now while i am clear on all other yugas, when it comes to dwapar yuga avatars i am very confused as different sources cite differently. Its Balaram and Krishna in Vishishtadvaita philosophy, while Krishna and Buddha in all others (advaita and smartas) and also Balarama and buddha ( in ISKON and bhagvata puran --- they consider Krishna as the source i.e Vishnu himself and not as seperate avatar!😕). 

Most Welcome Bhas1066.😊

As per Dashavataar theory, I think it has to be Krishna and Buddha because Balram is Vishnu Avatar in the list of 22 Avatars. If you are calculating the ratio 4:3:2:1 using 10 as the total number and not 22, then it should be Krishna and Buddha. 
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
By the above, is Buddha then considered to have lived in the Dwapar Yuga?

I heard another theory, where Buddha is not included in Dasha Avatar, but Mohini is.  She comes in b/w Kurma & Varaha - the time when she took the amrit and served the devas, and made sure it was empty by the time it came to the asuras.  As a result, everyone from Varaha to Krishna is shifted down by 1 slot.

Incidentally, where was Buddha first described as an avatar of Vishnu?  And did such a claim predate his arrival, like in the case of Kalki?
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Valid question!

Even I have my doubts about this, but as per what my family believes, we neither believe Balram nor Buddha to be the 9th avatar. Krishna is the 8th avatar and after him, we believe Lord Venkateshwara (Balaji) to be the 9th avatar.

Since Buddha created a whole new religion which kind of goes against the teachings of Krishna and Rama, we do not believe Buddha is a part of Hinduism or Lord Vishnu at all. And Balram is an amsa of Seshnaag so he too is not a part of the Dashavataras.
ShivangBuch thumbnail
@Vrish

Yes Vrish. I also doubted the same but I accepted it without arguing because Buddha was Before Christ. But Kaliyug started 3000 years Before Christ. So he can't be in Dwapar. So a very valid point. Mohini well I am not sure. Because then Dhanvantari also appeared with her. The famous dasavatar what we see the pictures of never has Mohini AFAIK and does have Buddha and I think Varaali did post somewhere IIRC that in Shreemad Bhagwat or some other source, Buddha is mentioned as 'would be' avatar just like Kalki today now we have.

@Janaki

Yes. Buddhism concentrates on one specific way of religion I agree but how is it against the teaching of Krishna? In Geeta also, we have Karmsanyas yog and Aatmasanyam yog.
Edited by ShivangBuch - 11 years ago
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Shivang

Buddha actively preached against things like yagnas and other traditional vedic customs that were held in high regard by both Rama & Krishna.  Rama did some 1000 yagnas during his reign, while Krishna encouraged Yudhisthir to do both the Rajasuya and Ashwamedha yagnas.  That is something that Buddha would never have endorsed.  In fact, he discouraged the kings he came into contact w/ from waging wars of conquest at all.

There were a whole lot of other things that Buddha negated.  In fact, in the West, one of the appeals of Buddhism is the fact that it's an atheistic religion.  Whereas both Rama & Krishna were highly pious.
ShivangBuch thumbnail
In Geeta also, Adhyay 2, Verses 42 to 45, Krishna has regarded Vedas to be speaking only the speech of fruits of deeds. Karmkaand and Yagnas teach Sakaam karm but Krishna preaches Arjun to be above them and to perform those same very deeds but without any desire & ego. Both Ram & Krishna did all their deeds as per their Kshatriya order but all those deeds were done with detached mind without the expectation of fruits just done to set the proper examples. Buddha may have negated those in absolute sense may be because he was born only to teach Karm Sanyas Yog or Aatma Sanyam Yog (Adhyay 5 & 6). But it's still strange because Krishna accepts all the ways to be going eventually to Supreme only. Anyway, even Lakshman criticized the deeds of Parshuram when Parshuram was also avatar of Lord Vishnu. Hari ki leela badi nyaari hai.
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Were Buddha's own preaching one dimensional, passionate or rigid (which is hard to believe because he was undoubtedly a realized soul) or his followers interpreted to be so?
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Valid question!

Even I have my doubts about this, but as per what my family believes, we neither believe Balram nor Buddha to be the 9th avatar. Krishna is the 8th avatar and after him, we believe Lord Venkateshwara (Balaji) to be the 9th avatar.

Since Buddha created a whole new religion which kind of goes against the teachings of Krishna and Rama, we do not believe Buddha is a part of Hinduism or Lord Vishnu at all. And Balram is an amsa of Seshnaag so he too is not a part of the Dashavataras.

Lord Venkateshwara!! it seems most likely but is there any proof or text stating it? i know the story told by my grandma that yashoda complained about Krishna not inviting her to any of his weddings so he took the form of Balaji and yashoda was reborn as vakula devi and srinivasa's mother who went to ask the hand of padmavati for marriage. so yes its quite possible . but PLEASE DONT GET ANGRY--- is there any proof??
Edited by bhas1066 - 11 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: ShivangBuch

@Janaki
Yes. Buddhism concentrates on one specific way of religion I agree but how is it against the teaching of Krishna? In Geeta also, we have Karmsanyas yog and Aatmasanyam yog.

I believe Buddhism goes against the preachings of Krishna and Rama because it believes violence is wrong at all times, whereas both Shri Ram and Shri Krishna endorsed wars for the greater good. The war against Ravan in Ramayana and the Kurukshetra war of Mahabharata both killed innocent people, but God himself supported them because Dharma had to be upheld, whereas Buddha preached that ahimsa is the way of life no matter what, and that wars are always bad in any circumstance. This is not something Hinduism exactly endorses, so that's why I do not believe Buddha is an incarnation of Vishnu. All of Vishnu's avatars had one goal, and that was to destroy evil even if it meant war.