Buddha

The 9th avatar of Lord Vishnu??? - Page 2

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago
This content was originally posted by: bhas1066

Lord Venkateshwara!! it seems most likely but is there any proof or text stating it? i know the story told by my grandma that yashoda complained about Krishna not inviting her to any of his weddings so he took the form of Balaji and yashoda was reborn as vakula devi and srinivasa's mother who went to ask the hand of padmavati for marriage. so yes its quite possible . but PLEASE DONT GET ANGRY--- is there any proof??

No, I'm not angry, don't worry!😆

The story of Lord Venkateshwara is from Vishnu Purana, so it's very possible that he was supposed to be considered the 9th avatara, because both Goddess Lakshmi and Goddess Earth (Bhudevi) married Balaji as Sridevi and Padvamavati Devi, just like Rukmini and Satyabhama who were also said to be amsas of Lakshmi and Bhudevi. Lord Venkateshwara destroyed the arrogance of many brahmins and kings during his avatar, and his preachings were similar to Rama and Krishna, so actually, he should be considered the 9th avatar of Lord Vishnu since already people believe he's an amsa of Vishnu.

Balarama is an amsa of Seshnaag and many don't even consider Buddha to be a part of Hinduism, because no source actually says he is, does it?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

I believe Buddhism goes against the preachings of Krishna and Rama because it believes violence is wrong at all times, whereas both Shri Ram and Shri Krishna endorsed wars for the greater good. The war against Ravan in Ramayana and the Kurukshetra war of Mahabharata both killed innocent people, but God himself supported them because Dharma had to be upheld, whereas Buddha preached that ahimsa is the way of life no matter what, and that wars are always bad in any circumstance. This is not something Hinduism exactly endorses, so that's why I do not believe Buddha is an incarnation of Vishnu. All of Vishnu's avatars had one goal, and that was to destroy evil even if it meant war.

Well Vaaman avataar was Brahmin and didn't engage in war and Parshuram despite being Brahmin had the nature of Kshatriya which he followed and Vishwamitra despite being Kshatriya had the nature of Brahmin which he followed. And for Brahmin, Ahinsa even in Hinduism is paramo dharma (which exactly Drona was scolded and criticized for by Saptarshis). In case of Parshuram & Vishwamitra, there is a story of fruits exchanged by mistake but no such case with Drona so he couldn't imitate Parshuram. Case was different. May be Buddha despite being king's son had Brahmin's soul and realized duties. Even Krishna tried to avoid war at any cost and then he made it inevitable since the other Kshatriya king was not willing to do justice. And Krishna was Kshatriya. Kshatriyas have the job to punish the evil. Why Vishwamitra didn't kill Subahu and Maarich despite being capable? Because in his sadhana, violence was not permitted. So all ways are endorsed by Geeta. All depend upon one's nature. So we can't  say contradicting views can't all be correct. Despite contradicting, all can be correct. We need to dig more deep into this I think. We can only know this if we can understand Buddha's preaching exactly what they were very subtly and minutely. After all, Buddha was compassionate for all creatures and that is what is God's nature. Karunavatsal. Aims can be different. Dharm sansthapan of different kind. Kachchhap avatar was not to punish the evil but to help a process. Matsya avatar was not to kill the evil
Edited by ShivangBuch - 11 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ShivangBuch

Well Vaaman avataar was Brahmin and didn't engage in war and Parshuram despite being Brahmin had the nature of Kshatriya which he followed and Vishwamitra despite being Kshatriya had the nature of Brahmin which he followed. And for Brahmin, Ahinsa even in Hinduism is paramo dharma (which exactly Drona was scolded and criticized for by Saptarshis). In case of Parshuram & Vishwamitra, there is a story of fruits exchanged by mistake but no such case with Drona so he couldn't imitate Parshuram. Case was different. May be Buddha despite being king's son had Brahmin's soul and realized duties. Even Krishna tried to avoid war at any cost and then he made it inevitable since the other Kshatriya king was not willing to do justice. And Krishna was Kshatriya. Kshatriyas have the job to punish the evil. Why Vishwamitra didn't kill Subahu and Maarich despite being capable? Because in his sadhana, violence was not permitted. So all ways are endorsed by Geeta. All depend upon one's nature. So we can't  say contradicting views can't all be correct. Despite contradicting, all can be correct. We need to dig more deep into this I think. We can only know this if we can understand Buddha's preaching exactly what they were very subtly and minutely. After all, Buddha was compassionate for all creatures and that is what is God's nature. Karunavatsal. Aims can be different. Dharm sansthapan of different kind. Kachchhap avatar was not to punish the evil but to help a process. Matsya avatar was not to kill the evil

Yes, your point is valid, but Parashuram's avatar also teaches us that there are times when picking up a sword is required, because protecting Dharma is of utmost importance. Even Vishvamitra had brought Ram and Lakshman to defeat Mareech and Subahu. He didn't let them roam free in the name of ahimsa, did he? He may not have done it himself but he gave Ram and Lakshman the duty of punishing the sinners.

Buddhism'a teachings are that ahimsa is wrong in all cases, and that even to protect good one must take peaceful methods only. I don't think either of Vishnu's avatars ever preached that. Though Shri Ram did give Ravan many chances to surrender, finally he waged war because there was no other choice. Same with Shri KRishna who did try to prevent the Kurukshetra war by trying to reason with the kauravas.

I respect Buddhism, but I believe that Buddha was a saint, like Sai Baba, who taught people to love each other and live a peaceful life, but I don't believe he was an incarnation of Vishnu. I think the posibility of Balarama being the incarnation makes more sense, since Sheshnaag is said to be an amsa of Vishnu as well.

However, if Balram was Vishnu then Krishna had to be the 9th avatar since Balarama is older, and as per Bhagavatham that is wrong because Krishna was the 8th avatar only, after Rama. The 9th avatar had to come after Krishna.
ShivangBuch thumbnail

Yes, your point is valid, but Parashuram's avatar also teaches us that there are times when picking up a sword is required, because protecting Dharma is of utmost importance. Even Vishvamitra had brought Ram and Lakshman to defeat Mareech and Subahu. He didn't let them roam free in the name of ahimsa, did he? He may not have done it himself but he gave Ram and Lakshman the duty of punishing the sinners.
Yes. That was Kaarit hinsa. Vishwamitra didn't do it himself, but let someone else do it. Even Gargacharya also could possibly give Brahmadanda in that case to Kans (curse or turning him into ashes) but he didn't interfere into the order of events of destiny and yet participated in it by allowing Krishna to escape from the jail and keeping his secret so that Kans is killed by him eventually. Parshuram lifted the weapon with that argument of keeping dharma that way but he was never a Brahmin soul. A Kshatriya seed entered in Brahmin woman through a fruit.

Buddhism'a teachings are that ahimsa is wrong in all cases, and that even to protect good one must take peaceful methods only. I don't think either of Vishnu's avatars ever preached that. 
Vishnu avatars were always willing for peace (and not war) with greatest possible efforts of explaining the sinners and forgiving them if they surrender/realize fault/correct the sin but had the ultimate aim of protecting good. That's right. I have nothing to say against this.

Though Shri Ram did give Ravan many chances to surrender, finally he waged war because there was no other choice. Same with Shri KRishna who did try to prevent the Kurukshetra war by trying to reason with the kauravas.
Yes. Definitely.

I respect Buddhism, but I believe that Buddha was a saint, like Sai Baba, who taught people to love each other and live a peaceful life, but I don't believe he was an incarnation of Vishnu. I think the posibility of Balarama being the incarnation makes more sense, since Sheshnaag is said to be an amsa of Vishnu as well.
Again well said. But your theory primarily revolves around Parshuram, Ram & Krishna. If you consider 22 or 24 avatars of Vishnu as per Shrimad Bhagwatam, apart from Vaaman, still Sanatkumars were ansh or avatars of Vishnu. Sage Kapil was Vishnu avatar. Lord Dattatreya was avatar of Vishnu. Rishabhdev (Jainism) was avatar of Vishnu. Vyas was avatar of Vishnu (and that too before Shri Ram in Treta - Possibly because sages lived long and Satyavati was ever youthful). And all Vishnu avatars had Brahmin traits and ahinsak deeds even when evil men were active around. So my point is that Vishnu can assume any qualities or any characteristic but the aim would be dharm sansthapan of SOME KIND OR THE OTHER.

Now I don't know about the authenticity of contents but reference is given of Shreemad Bhagwatam. Varaali and Rehan are also needed here for Buddha avatar discussion.

I am posting the paragraph of  Buddha and Kalki from both the above sources. Interesting is that, Kalki will be Brahmin by birth but will again lift weapon for dharma like Parshuram (and also will be taught by Parshuram that thing I have come across many times in discussions in the forums). And do have a look at notes in the first link below Kalki avatar paragraph. Very interesting.

1st link part

**The 21st avatar is that of Buddha. (This is in the predictive tone and indicates the early period of the Kaliyuga).

*** "Thereafter, at the conjunction of two yugas, the Lord of the creation will take His birth as the Kalki incarnation and become the son of Vi??u Yasa. At this time the rulers of the earth will have degenerated into plunderers."

2nd link part 
23) BUDDHA AVATAR (Incarnation as Buddha) : The twenty-third incarnation of Lord Vishnu was as Lord Buddha. In the Kaliyuga the demons were completely subjugated by the deities. Shukracharya the teacher of the demons instigated the demons to perform Yagya so that they could regain power and authority. Fearing this the deities prayed to Lord Vishnu for help. Lord Vishnu took incarnation as Buddha and dissuaded the demons from performing Yagya as it involves violence the demons stopped 

24) KALKI AVATAR (Incarnation as Kalki) : At the end of Kaliyuga, when the sins would be 80, all pervading that the kings would themselves becomes thieves then Lord Vishnu would take his twenty-fourth incarnation as Kalki by taking birth in the village of 'Shambhal'. He would take birth in a Brahmin family of Vishnuyash. By killing and destroying the sinners, he would re-establish the superiority of Virtuosity and religiousness.

However, if Balram was Vishnu then Krishna had to be the 9th avatar since Balarama is older, and as per Bhagavatham that is wrong because Krishna was the 8th avatar only, after Rama. The 9th avatar had to come after Krishna.
Again this is based on theory of Dashaavatar.

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Vishnu avatars were always willing for peace (and not war) with greatest possible efforts of explaining the sinners and forgiving them if they surrender/realize fault/correct the sin but had the ultimate aim of protecting good. That's right. I have nothing to say against this.

That was only true about Rama & Krishna, AFAIK.  Matsya, Varaha and Narasimha did no such thing w/ Hayagriva, Hiranyaksha or Hiranyakashipu, and even if we left the animal avatars aside and focused on the humans, Parashurama never negotiated w/ any kshatriyas - he just went on a genocidal campaign to wipe out 21 generations of them.  One could argue that the emphasis away from war was a valid one, except that Parashuram pops even that one.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

I agree that there were far more than 10 avatars of Vishnu, as even Vishnu Puraan states this, but I think the dashavataars were the most prominent incarnations of Lord Vishnu because each of them had a goal of destroying evil.

Matysa avatar was meant to destroy the demon Hayagriva (recall that there is yet another incarnation of Vishnu named Hayagriva, but he is not a part of the dashavatara) and recreate the world by protecting a male and female of every species. Kurma avatara was meant to help the churning of the ocean so that the devtas could get the amrit and always have superiority over the demons. Varaha was meant to destroy Hiranyaksha and protect the Earth from being drowned. Narasimha was meant to kill Hiranyakashipu and protect the people from his tyranny. Vamana was meant to destroy the arrogance of Bali Chakravarthy and push him down to the patal lok since he was assisting the demons in having superiority over the devtas. Parashuram was meant to kill all the arrogant kshatriyas of Earth who had been stopping the sages from doing yagnas. Rama was meant to kill Ravan and protect the people from his tyranny. Like Rama, Krishna too was meant to kill several demons and protect the people, and Kalki is meant to destroy the world which will one day become so steeped in evil that people will forget right from wrong.

As you have noticed, all 9 of these avatars of Lord Vishnu somehow are action-related, and they include protecting people from evil. Though Vishnu had up to 22-24 avatars, not all of them were meant to destroy evil as some of them were sages who spread God's word to people. If Buddha was indeed an avatar of Vishnu, then I would include him among the 24 but not the dashavatara, as he never did anything to destroy evil and protect the people. He is comparable to Vyasa, who himself never fought but spread God's word. Though Vyasa is an amsa of Vishnu, that's why he's not among the dashavatara.

That's why it's difficult to say just who the 9th avatar is, but as per my family we believe it's Shri Venkateshwara because he too broke the pride of many kshatriya Kings and established Dharma, like Parashuram and Vamana. The only difference is that he was not born to any woman, and neither did he have a childhood as he came in his real form to Earth in search of Lakshmi Ma, who had left Vaikunta in anger after Sage Bhrigu had insulted them.

It's also easier for me to believe Venkateshwara as the 9th avatar of Vishnu in comparison to Buddha, because the story of Buddha isn't explained clearly in any scripture as per my understanding, and characters like Vishnu, Lakshmi, and the other devtas do not appear in the story like they do with every other of Vishnu's avatars. Sometime, it doesn't even seem to be a part of Hinduism though Buddha was born a Hindu.
ShivangBuch thumbnail

Matysa avatar was meant to destroy the demon Hayagriva (recall that there is yet another incarnation of Vishnu named Hayagriva, but he is not a part of the dashavatara) and recreate the world by protecting a male and female of every species. 
I am confused by this actually about Haygreev and Matsya avatars. What you and the link mention is Haygreev who was killed by Matsya. Serial SK has only shown Matsya to have incarnated to save Vedas and Saptarshis from JAL PRALAY. And the song of the film Haridarshan says something different. It has a line which says Matsya killed Shankhasur who had stolen Vedas and was hidden in water. SHANKHASUR naam ka tha daanav...Vedon ko chura ke ghusa jal me... Also further in that song, a line comes which says: Haygreev tapasya karta tha...Keval Haygreev mujhe maare...Hayshish roop Hari ne dhara...Translation is that Haygreev asked for the boon that only another Horseheaded could kill him so Vishnu also was born as Haygreev (so avatar of same name killed devil of same name). Haygreev avatar along with the first Aadi Purush are the two who are there in the list of 24 (2nd link) but not in the list of 22 (1st). Also I am always puzzled why Lakshman, Bharat and Shatrughna are not included in them when both VR and RCM (In just 1 Choupai) mention that.

Here is that song link (0:55 and 4:45 in that link)

Kurma avatara was meant to help the churning of the ocean so that the devtas could get the amrit and always have superiority over the demons. Varaha was meant to destroy Hiranyaksha and protect the Earth from being drowned. Narasimha was meant to kill Hiranyakashipu and protect the people from his tyranny. Vamana was meant to destroy the arrogance of Bali Chakravarthy and push him down to the patal lok since he was assisting the demons in having superiority over the devtas. Parashuram was meant to kill all the arrogant kshatriyas of Earth who had been stopping the sages from doing yagnas. Rama was meant to kill Ravan and protect the people from his tyranny. Like Rama, Krishna too was meant to kill several demons and protect the people, and Kalki is meant to destroy the world which will one day become so steeped in evil that people will forget right from wrong.

As you have noticed, all 9 of these avatars of Lord Vishnu somehow are action-related, and they include protecting people from evil. Though Vishnu had up to 22-24 avatars, not all of them were meant to destroy evil as some of them were sages who spread God's word to people. If Buddha was indeed an avatar of Vishnu, then I would include him among the 24 but not the dashavatara, as he never did anything to destroy evil and protect the people. He is comparable to Vyasa, who himself never fought but spread God's word. Though Vyasa is an amsa of Vishnu, that's why he's not among the dashavatara.
That is what is precisely mentioned in that source that Buddha did preach against yagyas to protect devatas against evil starting to perform yagyas on earth (Now how far reliable is this and possibly added later on in SB is questionable and debatable as mentioned in that note below - strange also because Yagyas always feed Devtas and good for them but also it is true that they need to give in return to the performer what he wants). If you go with that story, if Kurma & Vaaman can be counted to be active to punish the evil in some sense, this can also be counted to be acting to punish evil in some sense. And I don't think Kurma can be said to be the incarnation taken to help Devtas to get the amrit because that incarnation was helping neutrally. If we follow that logic then it should be Mohini not Kurma who helped Gods against Demons.

Here is that story again with bold sentence:

2nd link part 
23) BUDDHA AVATAR (Incarnation as Buddha) : The twenty-third incarnation of Lord Vishnu was as Lord Buddha. In the Kaliyuga the demons were completely subjugated by the deities. Shukracharya the teacher of the demons instigated the demons to perform Yagya so that they could regain power and authority. Fearing this the deities prayed to Lord Vishnu for help. Lord Vishnu took incarnation as Buddha and dissuaded the demons from performing Yagya as it involves violence the demons stopped 

It's also easier for me to believe Venkateshwara as the 9th avatar of Vishnu in comparison to Buddha, because the story of Buddha isn't explained clearly in any scripture as per my understanding, and characters like Vishnu, Lakshmi, and the other devtas do not appear in the story like they do with every other of Vishnu's avatars. Sometime, it doesn't even seem to be a part of Hinduism though Buddha was born a Hindu.
Matsya, Kurma, Varah, Narsinha, Vaaman, Parshuram...None of them had Lakshmi avatar with them. Neither were they so long (first 4) to be able to give credit to incarnations of devatas of assisting them.

ShivangBuch thumbnail

That was only true about Rama & Krishna, AFAIK.  Matsya, Varaha and Narasimha did no such thing w/ Hayagriva, Hiranyaksha or Hiranyakashipu, and even if we left the animal avatars aside and focused on the humans, Parashurama never negotiated w/ any kshatriyas - he just went on a genocidal campaign to wipe out 21 generations of them.  One could argue that the emphasis away from war was a valid one, except that Parashuram pops even that one.

Yes. My mistake. Only this time I used ALL for only Ram & Krishna and generalized it for all Vishnu avatars. But I think it was also because of the fact that in case of Shankhasur, Haygreev, Hiranyaksha, Hiranyakashyapu; there was no danger of harm to large population or public like in case of Lanka or Hastinapur and those demons didn't surrender when they were being beaten. They were not wars but duels only. Parshuram's case is strange though (even though they also were all duels and he fought against all single handedly who came against him). Again same sentence. We require to dig deep into his actions minutely and subtly. The events of his wars with Kshatriyas should then be very detailed and elaborated in front of us like Kurukshetra war's every single arrow shot. Few of the things like he sparing Janak and Dasrath, he even destroying the fetus in the womb, Kshatriya dynasties once again starting/resuming each time after being completely destroyed from the earth 21 times (possibly with the help of Brahmins like what Vyas did). These are the points worth to be discussed separately.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: ShivangBuch

I am confused by this actually about Haygreev and Matsya avatars. What you and the link mention is Haygreev who was killed by Matsya. Serial SK has only shown Matsya to have incarnated to save Vedas and Saptarshis from JAL PRALAY. If you have ever seen BRC's Vishnu Puraan, they show Matsya first killing Hayagriva and only then saving the saptarishis. I have also learnt the other story from my parents, about how Lord Vishnu took the form of Hayagriva to kill a demon by the same name. BRC's Vishnu Puraan says their main source is Vyasa's Vishnu Purana, so I think the story of Matsya killing Hayagriva is from there, though I cannot confirm it since I don't know for sure. And the song of the film Haridarshan says something different. It has a line which says Matsya killed Shankhasur who had stolen Vedas and was hidden in water. SHANKHASUR naam ka tha daanav...Vedon ko chura ke ghusa jal me... Also further in that song, a line comes which says: Haygreev tapasya karta tha...Keval Haygreev mujhe maare...Hayshish roop Hari ne dhara...Translation is that Haygreev asked for the boon that only another Horseheaded could kill him so Vishnu also was born as Haygreev (so avatar of same name killed devil of same name). Haygreev avatar along with the first Aadi Purush are the two who are there in the list of 24 (2nd link) but not in the list of 22 (1st). Also I am always puzzled why Lakshman, Bharat and Shatrughna are not included in them when both VR and RCM (In just 1 Choupai) mention that. I think Lakshman, Bharat, and Shatrughan are not included because they are not believed to be direct amsas of Vishnu. Though VR says they were all portions of Vishnu, other puranas say that Lakshman, like Balram, is am ansa of Seshnaag and Bharat and Shatrughan were Vishnu's Sudarshan Chakra and Panchajanya reborn. So yes, ultimately they are forms of Vishnu but not direct incarnations if that makes sense.

That is what is precisely mentioned in that source that Buddha did preach against yagyas to protect devatas against evil starting to perform yagyas on earth (Now how far reliable is this and possibly added later on in SB is questionable and debatable as mentioned in that note below - strange also because Yagyas always feed Devtas and good for them but also it is true that they need to give in return to the performer what he wants). This is exactly why I find it questionable. I find it hard to believe anything which two avatars of Vishnu contradict each other. Both Rama and Krishna performed yagnas and endorsed them for the welfare of mankind, because it is the yagnas that cause rains to come and the crops to flourish. And also, by pleasing the devtas through yagnas people will always be shown their protection and mercy. If devtas were really being threatened by yagnas in Kali yug, then it would be more believable for me if Buddha had killed those sinners instead of preaching against yagnas altogether. That logic doesn't hold with me because all of Vishnu's avatars tried to teach people to reform peacefully first, and used violence only when the sinners would not listen. Had Buddha preached peace to everyone and killed the sinners who went against him, then I'd be able to consider him as Vishnu's avatar, but his teachings do not seem like the teachings of Vishnu so I find it questionable.

Also, take for example Ravan, who performed yagnas to benefit himself and then used the powers he was granted to torment the devtas. This is the exact situation Buddha was preaching against, right? However, Rama did not tell everyone to quit doing yagnas since people like Ravan were getting boons. He killed Ravan and taught everyone what happens when they misuse their powers. This is the ultimate truth of Vishnu's teachings, whether it comes in the form of Ramayan or Bhagawad Gita. He is always merciful and kind to everyone, because they are his children. However, when they misbehave and walk on the wrong path, he will give them not one, but several warnings to improve their conduct and get rid of their sins, but if the sinners still do not listen, he will punish them.

If Buddha was Vishnu's avatar, this is what I would expect him to do to the sinners who were misusing yagnas. Moreover, Kali Yug is the era of most sin. If you noticed, every one of Vishnu's avatars got more aggressive and more powerful as the yugas neared Kali Yug. Krishna taught people that one must fight for dharma, and he annihilated every sinner that walked the Earth in his time. So why would he come back to Earth in Kali Yuga as Buddha, and preach total peace when even more sin was rampant? I would expect someone like Kalki to come in Buddha's place.

If you go with that story, if Kurma & Vaaman can be counted to be active to punish the evil in some sense, this can also be counted to be acting to punish evil in some sense. And I don't think Kurma can be said to be the incarnation taken to help Devtas to get the amrit because that incarnation was helping neutrally. If we follow that logic then it should be Mohini not Kurma who helped Gods against Demons. Vishnu puraan showed that Vishnu agreed to help the devtas in the form of Kurma, because it was pre-planned by them that Mohini would come and distribute the amrit. I kind of think of Mohini and Kurma as the same since they came in close proximity.

Here is that story again with bold sentence:

Matsya, Kurma, Varah, Narsinha, Vaaman, Parshuram...None of them had Lakshmi avatar with them. Neither were they so long (first 4) to be able to give credit to incarnations of devatas of assisting them. Only Krishna and Rama's avatars were the longest, otherwise all other avatars were short. I did not mean that Lakshmi had to be present in each one, but other Gods were always present in each one, weren't they? I don't know how to explain it, but every avatar of Vishnu shares a similarity in that some God or other (besides vishnu) is always present either being a catalyst or part of the audience, but in Buddha no one is mentioned. Most importantly, the avatars always start off with Vishnu proclaiming that he will come to Earth as so and so, to help so and so. But in buddha's avatar, even vishnu is not mentioned. His birth, childhood, adulthood, nowhere are any characters familiar to Hindu puranas ever make an appearance, so it makes doubt that he is vishnu's avatar.

Btw, which source did you say had Vishnu coming down as Buddha? Is it from an actual Hindu scripture?

[/QUOTE]
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Btw, I don't know how true this is, but in BRC's Vishnu Puraan, they give a valid reasoning behind Parashuram killing so many kshatriyas.

They show that Sahasrarjun had become so powerful, arrogant, and bloodthirsty that he won over so many Kings in battle, fairly or unfairly, and had several hundreds of Kings as his vassals. Those Kings too were arrogant, and in the end battle when Parashuram went to kill Sahasrarjun, all those Kings supported him so Parashuram killed every single one, since those Kings were supporting Adharma. This kind of reminds me of the Kurukshetra war, since all of the Kings who supported the Kauravas died also.

This also explains why by Rama's time, a good number of Kings were still alive. Those must be the descendants of Kings who did not support Sahasrarjun and get killed in that battle.

Has anyone read Vyasas' Vishnu Purana to confirm this?