Miniskirts+ flirtish behaviour=rape?

Posted: 17 years ago

third of people believe a woman is partially or completely responsible for being raped if she has behaved flirtatiously, a survey suggests.

The Amnesty International poll of 1,000 people also found over 25% believe she is at least partly to blame if she has worn revealing clothing or been drunk. Amnesty says the "shocking" findings show government policies are failing. And the director of public prosecutions told the BBC the report "highlights some areas of real concern". Ken Macdonald QC, who is in charge of prosecutions in England and Wales, spoke to BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour. "The idea that a third of our people think that if a woman flirts she has only herself to blame if she is raped is, I think, quite shocking," he said. "These are jury trials. The jury is the community in the courtroom and it is reasonable to suppose the jury brings into the courtroom a lot of the attitudes we have been reading about." The Home Office says it has changed the law to try to improve conviction rates. "We have made a number of changes to the legal system and to how the police and Crown Prosecution Service work, to put victims needs first and to make it easier for cases to get to trial and secure convictions," a spokesman said.
Rape is an appalling crime and has a devastating effect on victims and those close to them. Nobody asks to be raped
Joanna Perry
Victim Support

"We are determined to close the gap between the increasing number of rape cases reported and the low number of convictions." However, the Amnesty poll, carried out by ICM, found that most people in Britain had no idea how many women were raped every year in the UK or how few of the cases reported to police resulted in a conviction. Almost all, 96%, said they either did not know the true extent of rape or thought it was far lower than the true figure. Just 4% thought the number of women raped exceeded 10,000. The number of recorded rapes of women in 2004/5 was 12,867 - up 4% on the year before - although police estimate that just 15% of rapes come to their attention. Only 6% of reported rapes result in a conviction. 'Disturbing attitudes' Amnesty International UK director Kate Allen said the poll, part of its Stop Violence Against Women campaign, had uncovered "disturbing attitudes". She said: "It is shocking that so many people will lay the blame for being raped at the feet of women themselves and the government must launch a new drive to counteract this sexist 'blame culture'." The research exposed the scale of public ignorance over rape as well as the "dreadfully low" conviction rates, she added. "The government has an international duty to prevent this gross human rights violation yet it's clear that the government's policies on tackling rape are failing and failing badly." Joanna Perry, policy manager at Victim Support, said it was alarming to read that so many people appeared to believe that a woman was responsible for inviting a rape or sexual assault. 'Devastating effect' "Rape is an appalling crime and has a devastating effect on victims and those close to them. In other words, nobody asks to be raped," she added. And Ruth Hall, from the support group Women Against Rape, criticised "prejudices" in the court system.

"They still put the woman on trial, including her sexual history with other men, which is supposed to be banned and blame the woman for what happened to her and hold her accountable," she said. (got this from BBC)

do you think that women who are drunk and flirt call for rape?should women be blamed after being used an sex object by men?Or is this another excuse in a man dominated world for the actions of men?

Edited by Soruj - 17 years ago

Or is this another excuse in a man dominated world for the actions of men?

I agree with that statement. Only people who don't know any better (and are sexist) will say stupid, ignorant sh*t like "Ohhh she was wearing a skirt that is why she was raped" or "she was asking for it" or "she was flirting with me" or "she is a slut or prostitute anyways".

Rape is Rape, and it is no one but the Rapists fault. I hate it when they bring a woman's sexual history into the case, because in my opinion men are promiscuos to a great extent, and their sexual history never matters, even if they slept with over 50 women in a 2 week period. If a women did the same, the entire society will bash her so bad, and yet pay no attention to what the man did.

Old women, 10 month-old babies and young girls are also victims of rape. It is sick, disgusting, and sad, and what is scary is that rape and molestation are some rapists sexual preference.

Rapists will break into your homes if you are alone. They look for any east target,

For example, if a lady wearing pants and a long-sleeved shirt is standing in an unlighted and unsafe area, she will make an easier target rather than a skimpily dressed woman who is walking with friends in a lighted area. The victim of rape could have been more careful, but she is not at fault. Such idiots shouldn't exist.

It is all about how aware you are of your surroundings. Even if a women is drunk, it still doesn't give a right for someone to rape her, they are taking unfair advantage of her condition.

I say all women just be more careful, because sadly, this is still a male-dominated society, and some men will say any rubbish to clear himself.

Originally posted by MonicA#1Actress

Or is this another excuse in a man
dominated world for the actions of men?
<SPAN =smText></SPAN>

What do mean by this? Do you think actions by women are correct? Man are
born to dominate but not all dominate. I hope you take this in a lighter
sense.. ok😆

Moderator's Note:
Advertising is against forum rules unless approved by administration.

Edited by Aparna_BD - 17 years ago
Originally posted by blablaji

sense.. ok😆

i didnt mean to be sexist.i didnt say that women are perfect and that they are never wrong ,but surely women wont be blaming other women for being raped,if anyone says this it would be men.😊

Originally posted by blablaji

sense.. ok😆

Men are not born to dominate, and they shouldn't feel they need to dominate. It is sad men make the rules of society, and the regulations for everyone. A woman, who gives birth to another woman AND a MAN, is told by a man what is right or wrong, and that is not right. If a woman wants to, she can chose not to give birth to a man, of course it isn't the right thing to do, but she has the power to decide. Don't underestimate the power of a woman.

I didn't say women are angels and never do anything wrong. But we are talking about anything, we are talking about rape, and most victims are women. And of course, the rapist wants to avoid punishment and will bring up topics to distract the court and make the woman look bad.

Rape happens because the rapist wants to be in power, and show the power he has. A rapist has no respect for others and are cruel.

I am sorry, but I won't take this matter in a  lighter sense, I have come close to such situations and I know  close relative who went trhough the situation. I was lucky, she wasn't.

Originally posted by MonicA#1Actress

Men are not born to dominate, and they shouldn't feel they need to dominate. It is sad men make the rules of society, and the regulations for everyone. A woman, who gives birth to another woman AND a MAN, is told by a man what is right or wrong, and that is not right. If a woman wants to, she can chose not to give birth to a man, of course it isn't the right thing to do, but she has the power to decide. Don't underestimate the power of a woman.

I didn't say women are angels and never do anything wrong. But we are talking about anything, we are talking about rape, and most victims are women. And of course, the rapist wants to avoid punishment and will bring up topics to distract the court and make the woman look bad.

Rape happens because the rapist wants to be in power, and show the power he has. A rapist has no respect for others and are cruel.

I am sorry, but I won't take this matter in a  lighter sense, I have come close to such situations and I know  close relative who went trhough the situation. I was lucky, she wasn't.

You're absoloutely right Monica that women who have been close to rape or who have been raped will only understand the impact of such a hideous crime of rapists.I can sit hear all day typing all sorts of statements on how rape effects someone mentally and physically  but my account will vary from a victim of rape,why?because i have been lucky not to have fallen a victim.Majority of time it is men who rape because nor do they only rape women but also rape men too.I have heard of women rapists,but it is very rare.IThis is a man dominated world!i know it and you know it!no matter how much we argue on how women rights have improved,we women are still so far behind achieving equal rights.

Most of the Judges are male and i have witnessed rapists getting sentenced to a mere 4 or 5 years.some of them wont even serve half of it!but it is the woman who is raped who gets a life sentence.

No rapists can justify his actions!be it a stranger,a husband,a boyfriend or a relative.A woman should be able to act the way she wants,behave the way she want and have fun the way she wants without thinking if she is going to be the next victim of rape.

Originally posted by Soruj

You're absoloutely right Monica that women who have been close to rape or who have been raped will only understand the impact of such a hideous crime of rapists.I can sit hear all day typing all sorts of statements on how rape effects someone mentally and physically  but my account will vary from a victim of rape,why?because i have been lucky not to have fallen a victim.Majority of time it is men who rape because nor do they only rape women but also rape men too.I have heard of women rapists,but it is very rare.IThis is a man dominated world!i know it and you know it!no matter how much we argue on how women rights have improved,we women are still so far behind achieving equal rights.

Most of the Judges are male and i have witnessed rapists getting sentenced to a mere 4 or 5 years.some of them wont even serve half of it!but it is the woman who is raped who gets a life sentence.

No rapists can justify his actions!be it a stranger,a husband,a boyfriend or a relative.A woman should be able to act the way she wants,behave the way she want and have fun the way she wants without thinking if she is going to be the next victim of rape.

Very well said,  why is it that rape is such a social stigma on the person that has gotten raped.  Everyone blames the person that is raped, but how is that possible???  They didnt ask for it, u can wear tight or short clothes and no one has the right to rape to because of that.  Even though this has been happening for centuries, the views still havent changed.  When will we stop blaming the victim, this could happen to anyone, anywhres and ppl need to understand this!!!
While rape whether commited by a man or a woman can not and should not have any excuses I am just wondering ....If a man were to dress provocatively and paw around what would be the general opinion of women about him? Not that high I persume? So what behaviour cannot be condoned in a man should not be condoned in a woman simply because she is physically weaker...

Dear fellow,

All healthy male and females on this earth have been pushed by him or her innerself to fulfil the need of sex. to follow that wish there are many ways.most are.

1- humane way

2- in humane way.

humane made code of conduct to differntiate them from animales and others becuase of Rationality. AQAL. He/She is above of all creatures in inventing and making right dicision because God has made him/her like this with thinking pawer.

if he/she follow code of conduct and any party who will do against the code is responsible for that partly or totally.

If a woman present, reveal, expose herself against the code of conduct she can be flirts any times. Even in words she can expose herself.

For exemple.

Islamic code is women should not talk so politiely with Nameharam,  I mean others,

she should not expose herself in streets, or any where.

She should remain in full cloths.

I guranntee that if women follow this code flirt rate will be drop down suddenly.

in spite of all that if some body flirt or rape one women then she is not responsible for anything.

the nations, who have no code or very close to animales those can f**k mother, sister and anyother any time, dont care time, and code those nations have many flirt and rape cases.

we can invent aeroplan, and every thing srounds us but we are anable to create or follow a code that can proof the best human beings.

We have hell of inventions and progeress in informations. but graph of spirtual growth fell down so deep. Sorrows.

Discussion should not be for the sake of discussion. It should be to prove human being the second best after God. It is only possilbes to follow God not animales especially in sex cases.

any way that is my point of view you can have your own.

Cheeema

third of people believe a woman is partially or completely responsible for being raped if she has behaved flirtatiously, a survey suggests.

The Amnesty International poll of 1,000 people also found over 25% believe she is at least partly to blame if she has worn revealing clothing or been drunk. Amnesty says the "shocking" findings show government policies are failing. And the director of public prosecutions told the BBC the report "highlights some areas of real concern". Ken Macdonald QC, who is in charge of prosecutions in England and Wales, spoke to BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour. "The idea that a third of our people think that if a woman flirts she has only herself to blame if she is raped is, I think, quite shocking," he said. "These are jury trials. The jury is the community in the courtroom and it is reasonable to suppose the jury brings into the courtroom a lot of the attitudes we have been reading about." The Home Office says it has changed the law to try to improve conviction rates. "We have made a number of changes to the legal system and to how the police and Crown Prosecution Service work, to put victims needs first and to make it easier for cases to get to trial and secure convictions," a spokesman said.
Rape is an appalling crime and has a devastating effect on victims and those close to them. Nobody asks to be raped
Joanna Perry
Victim Support

"We are determined to close the gap between the increasing number of rape cases reported and the low number of convictions." However, the Amnesty poll, carried out by ICM, found that most people in Britain had no idea how many women were raped every year in the UK or how few of the cases reported to police resulted in a conviction. Almost all, 96%, said they either did not know the true extent of rape or thought it was far lower than the true figure. Just 4% thought the number of women raped exceeded 10,000. The number of recorded rapes of women in 2004/5 was 12,867 - up 4% on the year before - although police estimate that just 15% of rapes come to their attention. Only 6% of reported rapes result in a conviction. 'Disturbing attitudes' Amnesty International UK director Kate Allen said the poll, part of its Stop Violence Against Women campaign, had uncovered "disturbing attitudes". She said: "It is shocking that so many people will lay the blame for being raped at the feet of women themselves and the government must launch a new drive to counteract this sexist 'blame culture'." The research exposed the scale of public ignorance over rape as well as the "dreadfully low" conviction rates, she added. "The government has an international duty to prevent this gross human rights violation yet it's clear that the government's policies on tackling rape are failing and failing badly." Joanna Perry, policy manager at Victim Support, said it was alarming to read that so many people appeared to believe that a woman was responsible for inviting a rape or sexual assault. 'Devastating effect' "Rape is an appalling crime and has a devastating effect on victims and those close to them. In other words, nobody asks to be raped," she added. And Ruth Hall, from the support group Women Against Rape, criticised "prejudices" in the court system.

"They still put the woman on trial, including her sexual history with other men, which is supposed to be banned and blame the woman for what happened to her and hold her accountable," she said. (got this from BBC)

do you think that women who are drunk and flirt call for rape?should women be blamed after being used an sex object by men?Or is this another excuse in a man dominated world for the actions of men?

Joanna Perry
Victim Support