Poll Question :

King Janaka chooses the Indradhanush as the test for Sita's swayamvara

Poll Choice
As a child, only Sita could move it
It was a symbol of power
It was a promise he had made long ago
Login To Vote
Posted: 11 years ago
King Janaka chooses the Indradhanush as the test for Sita's swayamvara because?
b/c in childhood sita has removed it from one place to another and generally janak needs a crowd for the motion of dhanush. so he thinks that if my daughter can remove it alone than only i will get for this a husband who also can remove it alone.
Sita, as a little girl, had once moved the table on which the Indradhanush was placed while she played. King Janaka saw this, and was stunned, as no grown man had been able to move the bow before. 

That was when he decided that only a man as extraordinary as Sita could marry her ðŸ˜Š
It was the Shiva dhanush Visha, not the Indra dhanush. :)

And King Janak made that vow because when Sita lifted the shiv dhanush when she was young, he recognized her as Goddess Lakshmi and wanted to put a condition which only Lord Vishnu could fulfill.
I get confused with the names Janaki ðŸ˜•ðŸ˜†
It is just when the Child Sita lifted the Shiv Dhanush suddenly while playing while no one else ever even tend to move it from its Place. King Janaka recognised the Presence of Shakti inside his Daughter and have Decided this Shiv Dhanush Swayamber thing so that he get his heavenlyly Husband to whom she is Destined to. ðŸ˜Š
thanks for shraing the valuable information... never knew all these things i have read about this dhanush in some text it is said that the king janak found the dhanush alongwith with sita ji in the furrow some say parsuram gifted it to king janak...which one is correct ???? 
Originally posted by arti07

thanks for shraing the valuable information... never knew all these things i have read about this dhanush in some text it is said that the king janak found the dhanush alongwith with sita ji in the furrow some say parsuram gifted it to king janak...which one is correct ???? 

The text that says Parashuram gifted the dhanush to Janaka is correct. Lord Parashuram got it from Lord Shiva and he gave it to Janaka to safeguard it. That's why Parashuram was so angry when Lord Ram broke the dhanush in Sita's swayamvar. He thought Lord Shiva was being insulted, but when he recognized Lord Ram as Vishnu, his anger abated and he left after giving him the Vishnu dhanush.

If anyone wants to see it onscreen, this story of child Sita lifitng the Shiva Dhanush is shown in Imagine's Ramayan. I think it's episode 8 or 9...not sure exactly. The history of Shiva dhanush is also shown in some episode, but I don't remember which one.
Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 11 years ago
^^ The Story of Sita Lifting the Shiv Dhanus is Shown in Episode six of NDTV Ramayan and the history of Shiv Dhanush is Shown in Episode 10 ðŸ˜Š
^^Of course you would know.😆