-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago

GANAPATI BAPPA MORYA
MANGAL MURTI MORYA

Hello😃 and welcome to our chottu sa Ganesh Chaturthi Celebration🤗

Bappa still has to come in our show😆
but never the less he is our favorite Bappa
and some of us are lucky enough to have Bappa in our house for a few days during the entire year

This thread is made not only to celebrate the festival so that all of us can share our experiences,or customs and our memories of this festival.

PS-im a Konkani,so many of the things i may be putting in the thread may be new to those who dont know my customs😳
Customs followed can vary even within the same community or region
incase you want to add something from your side too
pictures of Ganapati Bappa in your own home etc
be free to post!
i guess everyone would love to see how youll celebrate chaturthi as well!

Zoor Se BOLO

GANAPATI BAPPA MORYA

About GaneshChaturthi

Ganesh Chaturthi in the month of Bhadhrapada(as per the Hindu Calendar) and begins from Shukla Chaturdashi and ends on Anant Chaturdashi.Ganesh Chaturthi lasts for a total period of 10 days,the 11th day being the Day for immersion.

Ganesh Chaturthi although celebrated all over India,is celebrated in a grander way in states like Maharastra,Karnataka,Goa,Andhra Pradesh,Tamil Nadu.
One of the ajor elements of celebrating Ganesh Chaturthi is getting a Murti/Idol of Bappa home,which is worshipped during the festival and then finally immersed at the end of the festival.

the Duration of the Festival may Vary,ranging from 1 and a half days,5,7 and 10 days.

The Story of Ganesh Chaturthi

There are many stories as to why Ganesh Chaturthi is celebrated.
This is the Most popular one of them,that refers to Chaturthi as Bappas-"Birthday"

From the Shiva Purana
Lord Ganapati was created out of the sandal paste that Goddess Parvati used for her bath. The Goddess wanted a door-keeper, to prevent the coming of any visitors when she took a bath. So, she created a doll from the dough and breathed life into him. The day she did this came to be known as the birthday of Lord Ganesha, which we today celebrate as Ganesh Chaturthi. 

On day, while Goddess Parvati was taking her bath, Lord Shiva happened to visit her. Ganesha did not know him, so he did not allow the Lord to enter the house. This made Lord Shiva angry and he beheaded Ganesha. Later, when he came to know the truth, he fixed the head of an elephant in place of Ganesha's head. With this, the appearance of Lord Ganesha changed and he came to have the head of an elephant.

From the Skanda Purana
Ganesha was invited for a feast in Chandralok. He ate many Ladoos and later, as he got up to walk after the meal, he could not balance himself, because of his huge stomach, and slipped. His stomach burst and all the laddoos came rolling out. Seeing this, the moon could not control himself and began laughing. Ganesha got angry and cursed the moon that it will vanish from the universe.

Because of moon's absence, the whole world began to wane. The gods asked Lord Shiva to get Ganesha to change his mind. The moon also apologized for his misbehavior. Finally, Ganesha modified his curse saying that the moon would be invisible on only one day of a month and would be partially seen on Ganesha Chaturthi. He also added that anyone who watches moon on Ganesha Chaturthi would face a false accusation. This is the reason why, even today, it is considered inauspicious to look at the moon on Ganesh Chaturthi.

Edited by shruti.nil - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Nymphadora- thumbnail
I am a Shaivite,so we predominatly worship ShivJi,so when we celebrate Ganesh Charurthi we also welcome ShivJi and Devi Maa in our Houses as well(some people only Welcome Bappa)
generally people worship then either as mutris or pictures-we do both😆
they are worshipped in the form of pictures as well as idols of them kept near the Ganapati Murti(ShivJi on the right and Parvati Ji on the left).The pictures are  later on immersed along with Ganapati Ji during Visarjan.

Gauri Poojan
Prior to bringing Ganapati Bappa Home,as in a day before Ganesh Chaturthi,We Have Gauri Pujan in Our Homes.

(this pic is from wikipedia-just to give youll guys a rough idea)
It is celebrated as Vayna Pooja-where married woman pray to Gowri Maa.Vayna is something that is given to married women-it contains a Decorated Coconut(they are first washed with turneric water,then decorated with Kajal,turmeric,Kumkum and three lines around the coconut in chalk), bangles,and the lady of the house apllies Haldi and Kumkum of the other ladies forehead and places the Vayna in her Pallu.

Gowri Maa is worshipped either in the form of a photograph or as we do in in my house we mount a silver mask(you could call it that) on a coconut,she is later dressed up in a small saaree piece(my mom puts her a hair attatchment and even a Jagra)given some jewelry to wear,green bangels,Kumkum,a small Magal Sutra and a small comb

Before her leaves(bannana generally) are spread,and rice is put on it,and infront of her a Diya is lit(some use multiple),and she is offered flowers.

After the Pooja is Done we offer Naivaidya(you can call it a Prasad Ki Thaali)The Main Offerings in Gowri Maas Prasad Ki Thaali includes a sweet dish called Patoli.its a rice dumpling,filled with a puran(filling) of coconut and jaggery,which is steamed in a Haldi Paan(Turmeric leaf) and is served with Desi Ghee.

Along with that we give something fried,a mount of Rice,a coconut based curry and two or three types of green leafy vegetable dishes(these are generally those that traditionally grown in the backyards of houses)-since my Mom said we belive Devi Parvati likes green vegetables.

after Gowri Pujan is completed the Next Day is when we get Bappa home.

In Goa we have a very intresting and cute custom followed by all Hindus here.When we shift to a new house we cannot bring Ganapati Bappa to our house on our own-we belive that Bappa should come to our house on his own😆.So generally a good heart-ed neighbor or a well wisher will put a Ganapati Idol by your door step on Ganesh Vhaturthi Day,after which you and your family welcome Bappa Home.
The Same ritual is followed when the house does not have a Ganesh Chaturthi celebration,someone will drop by a Ganapati Idol at thier Doorstep.
Once the Idol is kept at the doorstep the owner of the house has to welcome Bappa and celebrate Chaturthi,its said to be inauspicious if they do not.
Another essential part is that the well-wisher should not reveal his name to the person,its like a Secret Santa thing you will never ever know of.
Many years ago someone had given a murti to my house,and a few years later my Mom to put Murtis in front of others doorsteps(those people till date do not know who it was).
Due to this ritual almost every house in my area has Chaturthi in it,its infectious,even Bihari's and Punjabis who do not celebrate the festival celebrate it grandly after someone gave them a murti.
Generally what small kids do that they (purposely😉)end up telling someone or the other about them not having Bappa comming home,so someone will keep a Murti at thier Doorstep.
Its a very sweet thing-so i thought about sharing it with you'll.😃

Ganapati Bappa is brought home with his face covered,and no one can have a peak at it till the time of the Ganesh Chaturthi Pooja,only after that

This Ganapati is called "Dagdushet Halwai" of Pune.
Ganesh Chaturthi begins with the "Pranpratishta" pooja,where we ask Ganapati Bappa to come and reside in the Murti and request him to stay in our house for a few days.

There are many things to offered to Bappa during the Pooja,some are the mandatory things like Haldi,Kumkum,Akshat,Panchamrit,flowers,fruits,sweets etc(i wont elaborte on that too much),and Diyas are lit all around the are where Gapati Bappa is kept and it is decirated with Rangoli.
but two offerings are very special,being-

Durva-its essentially a bunch of grass handpicked,21 in number.My Mom makes a garland of a 108 Durva Bunches each year.Durva is the most essential and simplest offering that one can give Bappa,also picking Durva is belived to improve concentration.Its a must have for Ganapti Pooja.Its something like what Belpatra is to ShivJi,Durva is to Ganapati Bappa.

Bappas favorite Modak-there are many many varieties-we have the fried ones(that are used as Diyas in the first Aarti we do of Bappa),the Pedas that are in the shape of a modak,and the Maharastrian Ukdiche Modak(made of rice flour with Coconut and Jaggery mix in it,and its later steamed on a Haldi Ka Paan)
After the Pooja we sing Aartis.

along with the pooja offerings we also offer them food or as i said earlier Naivaidya,they being our guests-until they eat none of us can eat.

There is a LONG list😆 of items made but to cut it short is consists of Manglorian delcacies us being Konkani-such as Mangane,Khotte,Konbo,Ghashi,Sasam,etc(im sure very few of youll must have heard of these names😳).This also includes some fried traditional snacks such as Nevri,Chakri,Champakali etc that are offered.Bappa is said to love food hence we make quite a few things during Chaturthi.

One intresting custom is that after the Pooja and Aarti we have a small ritual-which is perfomed only on the first day of Chaturthi.We have a plate filled with water and Kumkum mixed in it.That plate is kept before the Ganapti Idol.So we have to bend down,and look into the plate to see Bappas refection in the water and without looking at Bappa we throw Akshat in his direction.I do not know the significance of this ritual thogh,ill ask my mom about it.

We keep Ganesh Chaturthi for a total period of 5 days.After which we do Visarjan.Prior to Visarjan we do Visarjan Pooja where we do the utla of Pran pratishta as in we ask Bappa to leave the murti before Visarjan,after which we(as in my Dad who does the pooja) gives the murti a small shake symbolising that Bappa has left the Murti.

During Visarjan we along with Bappa also immerse the pictures of Mahadev and Parvati Ji,as we give a small packet in which there is food(gereally consisits of some sweet) for Bappas jouney back to Kailash.

Intrestingly,our family has a custom that we keep the Ganapati idol for an entire year,and Visarjan is done of the Previous years Idol,so essentially we have two Ganapatis during Ganesh Chaturthi,out of which the new one stays back.
I asked my mom the reason behind this and told us this rtiual is followed in our ancesral home in Karnataka,where we keep Bappas idol as a guardian for us.But never the less the Visarjan is always a bit sad,so when we say bye to Bappa we say 

"Ganapati Bappa Morya 
Pudchya Varshi Lawkar Ya
Ganapti Gele Gwala 
Chain Pade Na Amhala"

Means we ask Ganapati Bappa to come back sooner next year
Bappa has gone back to his own town,and we are restless with him gone.

-Nymphadora- thumbnail

Aartis

one of the most essential parts of celebrating Chaturthi
we say Three Aartis-of Mahadev,Parvati and Ganapati.

These aartis are in Marathi but they are sung in Goa and Kanataka also,only the tune in which they are sung may differ
They are sung thrice,in the morning,in the afternoon and in the night.

im sure youll must have defnately heard the Ganapati Aarti(Shendoor Lal Chadhoyo and Ghalin Lotangan) considering the amount of times its been used in both films and Tv(specially Ekta Kapor serials😆)

Shankar Aarti
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yRwG_FWnzA[/YOUTUBE]
Luvthavthi vikrala bramhandi mala l
Vishe kanthi kala trinetri jwala ll
Lavanaya sundar mastaki baala l
Tethuniya jal nirmal vahe zulzula ll 1 ll

Jay dev jay dev jay shri shankara O Swami Shankara l
Aarti ovalu tuj karpurgaura ll Jay Dev Jay Dev ll

Karpurgaura bhola nayani vishala l
Ardhangi parvati sumananchaya mala ll
Vibhutiche udhalan shivkanth neela l
Esa shankar shobhe uma velhala ll 2 ll

Daivi daitye sagar-manthan pai kele l
Tyamaji avchit halahal uthile ll
Te tya asurpane prashan kele l
Neelkanth nam prasidha zale ll 3 ll

Vaghranvar-fanivardhar sundar madnari l
Panchanan manmohan munijan sukhkari ll
Sathkotiche beej vache ucchari l
Raghukultilak ramdasa antari ll 4 ll

Devi Maa Aarti
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJC2RgsUJvg[/YOUTUBE]
Durge durghat bhari tujvin sansari II
Anathnathe ambe karuna vistari II
Vari vari janam marante vari II
Hari padalo ata sankat nivari II 1 II

Jaya devi jaya devi mahishasurmardhinii I
Survar ishwar varde tarak sanjivani ll Jay Devi Jay Devi ll

Tujaveen bhuvani pahata tuj aise nahi II
Chari shramale parantu n bolve kahi II
Sahi vivad karita padile pravahi II
Te tu bhaktalagi pavasi lavlahi II 2 II

Prasanna vadane prasanna hosi nijdasa II
Kleshapasuni sodivi todi bhavpasha II
Ambe tujvachun kon purvil asha II
Narhari tallin jhala padpankajlesha II 3 II

Ganapati Aarti
some people sing only one aarti-we sing both of these aartis

Sukharta Dukharta
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN1C4XODKWY[/YOUTUBE]
a very old version of the Aarti-sung by Lata Mangeshkar

Sukhkarta dukhharta varta vighnachi I 
Nurvi purvi prem kripa jayachi II 
Sarvangi sundar uti shendurachi I 
Kanthi zalke mal mukta- phalachi II 1 II 

Jaya dev jaya dev jaya mangal murti I 
Darshanmatre mankamana purti II Jay Dev Jay Dev II 

Ratnakhachit fara tuj gaurikumra I 
Chandanachi uti kumkumkeshara II 
Hire jadit mukut Shobhato bara I 
Runzunati nupure charni ghagaria II 2 II

Lambodar Pitambar phadi varvandana I 
Saral sond vakratunda trinayana I
Das ramacha vat pahe sadana I 
Sankti pavave Nirvani Rakshave survarvandana II 3 II

Shendoor Lal Chadhoayo-
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9kgM57bylU&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
this is from the movie Vaastav,and is a very famous versions of the Aarti,you must have heard it in some show or the other😆

Shendur lal chadhayo achchha gajmukhko l
Dondil lal biraje sut gauriharko ll
Hath liye gudladdu sai survarko l 
Mahima kahe na jay lagat hoo padko || 1 ||

Jai jai shri ganraj vidhyasukhdata l 
Dhanya tumara darshan mera man ramata ll Jay Dev Jay Dev ll

Bhavbhagat se koi sharanagat ave l 
santat santat sabhi bharpur pave ll
Aise tumMaharaj moko ati bhave l
Gosavinandan nishidin gun gave ll 2 ll

Jai jai shri ganraj vidhyasukhdata l 
Dhanya tumara darshan mera man ramata ll Jay Dev Jay Dev ll

The Aartis are brought to an end with Galin Lotangan
(Both the Videos of Ganapati Aaartis posted above,end with Gahlin Lotangan-its at the end of both the aartis)

Ghalin lotangan vandin charan ||
Dolyani pahin rup tujhe ||
Deva Preme alingan anande pujin ||
Bhave ovaleen mhane nama || 1 ||

Twamev mata cha Pita twamev ||
Twamev bandhusch sakha twamev ||
Twamev Vidhya dravinam twamev ||
Twamev sarwam mam dev dev || 2 ||

Kayena vacha manasendriyenva ||
Buddhayatmna va prakrutiswabhavat ||
Karomi yadhyat sakalam parasmai ||
Narayanayeti samarpayami || 3 ||

Achyutam keshavam ramnarayanam ||
Krushanadamodaram vasudevam bhaje ||
Shridharam Madhavam gopikavallabham ||
Janaki nayakam ramchandra bhaje || 4 ||

Hare ram hare ram ram ram hare hare ||
Hare krishna hare krishna Krishna Krishna hare hare ||
Hare ram hare ram ram ram hare hare ||
Hare krishna hare Krishna Krishna Krishna hare hare ||

PS-(My Marati isnt very good-so ill be honoured if someone who knows Marathi well can provide a proper translation,i understand the aarti,but cant give a good enough transaltion-will update the thread if anyone provides one😳)

Thats it from me!!-there is still Loads of Loads of stufff about Chaturthi im more than confident i havent been able to cover,owing to the fact that SO much is done during Ganesh chaturthi!
Like Sarvajanik Ganesh Utsavs,stories,rituals etc
and im sure this little thread hasn't covered enough😆
Please Add in more stuff and share your experiences as well
me and im sure others as well would love to know how others celebrate Chaturthi as well

Ganapati Bappa Morya
shruti
DKDM DT

-Nymphadora- thumbnail

Index

(all things-video clips,pictures,siggies,articles etc,posted in this thread will be updated here)

1)Online Ganapati Pooja

(credits-Sttrawbella-thanks a bunch for posting it dear😃)
mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9

Ganapati Bappa Moraya
This is the very first Darshan of
The Great Lalbaug Cha Raja
Edited by mnx12 - 11 years ago
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
OMG!!!!thanks for posting meenaxi!
Lalbaugcha raja alsoways looks magnificent!!
mnx12 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: shruti.nil

OMG!!!!thanks for posting meenaxi!

Lalbaugcha raja alsoways looks magnificent!!

Pleasure is mine😊
He looks Owesome⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Nice thrad👏
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
@meenaxi-thank you!!!
i still have some pics etc that i wanted to post...
right now at home we are still preparing,tommorow is Gauri Poojan and we are getting Bappa home!eeekkksss!!!-im so exited!
mnx12 thumbnail

@ Shruti, do welcome Ganapati bappa on Chaturthi on behalf of all of us too😃

While doing his aarati, imagine all of us are present & you can eat the ladoos & other prasad on our behalf too😆 
Sweet24 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
thank u and same to u to all the india-forums members