S08E1//For some people, Death is just a phase.

annihilation thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 11 years ago
NOTE : This topic contains spoilers for anyone who hasn't watched Supernatural's season 8 episode 1 yet.

I really have no idea how to start this off but I'll try giving it my best shot. So Supernatural' is back and HOW. After watching the episode, I totally know why I love this show so much. Even after eight seasons and that's something 😆 it still hasn't lost its charm. It still grips you tight, makes you want to pop your eyes out and get so involved that you wouldn't even blink if a firework went off right beside you.

Jensen and Jared were brilliant as usual, I didn't expect anything less from them and they truly did a great job bringing out all the emotions perfectly. Kudos to these two for playing Dean and Sam just the way they're supposed to be played.

I really liked the way the episode started off. With Dean trying to figure out where he is and looking his Purgatory best.😆 It wouldn't have made sense had they shown him just jump out squeaky clean. The music/background score the show uses is always a plus point which works well with theme. Dean bringing back his Purgatory buddy Benny back to life was something really interesting and creepy at the same time. 😳 Whatever was wrong with his hand? 😳

Dean making BFFs with monsters isn't his forte, its something Sam specializes in. 😆So Dean really actually practically hugging Benny was a bit of a shocker. 😳 Sure this relationship/partnership has more to it than meets the eye. Its obvious Dean's bargain must not have been an easy one, it never is. Something really terrible has happened down there and you don't need me telling that, you'll know it for yourself. Just like his stay in hell wasn't a cheap one, I'm sure Purgatory will prove to be more costlier.

The reunion scene was SO Sam and Dean. You can see these brothers are so not what they're without each other. They part, things change, they change, everything changes. Their lives are skyrocketed and returns back to normal, actually the supernaturally normal only when they are together again. Time and again they prove that they keep each other human. The whole scene was shot so beautifully in terms of everything the audience would expect, the emotions, the guilt, the relief, the anger, the disappointment, the hug, the emptiness, in short a perfect blend of the flawed yet beautiful characters Dean and Sam.

Coming down to the Sam 'betraying' Dean issue, as much as I'm disappointed I won't judge Sam just yet. The reason of my disappointment is the writers/creatives, not Sam. 'Cause for now they showed this as another 'Sam falls for girl, forgets Dean' thing which I'm hoping wouldn't be the actual case. I mean c'mon we have seen Sam grow and mature so much throughout the seasons, especially the 7th one that I wouldn't buy the 'girl' excuse. I'm sure there is a bigger picture here or else there would be no flashback theory on Sam's side. Flashbacks just for the sake of Amelia? Nah! For now, I do understand the state Sam's been in. He was alone, all alone out there with no family and absolutely no clue of where to begin and what to begin with. With Crowley and Kevin gone poof, Bobby dead and no friends around what else could he have done?

But at the same time, the thought that he didn't try and search for Dean at all bugs me a lot. Why didn't he atleast give it a try? I guess time will answer that better. As for Dean, his disappointment in Sam is justified. The fact that his only family, his little precious Sammy didn't look for him is indeed hurting and painful. He's been in Purgatory for a year, suffered God knows what kind of crap, his only consolation would have been the thought that Sam searched for him and didn't give up so soon. So at the moment, both scenarios seem fair.

You could see them both struggling to cope with their own thoughts,instincts and feelings. Dean's resolute stand of saving the people and the world and Sam's hesitant approach to it. They both have their own reasons for their respective ideologies and yet we can't think of whom to side with. 'Cause sometimes its not about right and wrong, its about the choices we make.

Now Kevin has grown up quite a bit, didn't he? It was probably good that Sam didn't attend to his calls ( Although its hard to understand why he would ignore so many of them) 'cause that made him stand up for himself. It made me independent, strong and mature. Gone is the kid who was once to attend college and here is the Prophet who knows his job and is doing his best at it. His decision of saving the world/God's word over his girlfriend is a proof to that.

Coming to Crowley, I have lost the count of how many times I must have wished he was dead. But admit it or not, he contributes a lot to the story. So I can tolerate him for some more time unless he causes serious damage to the Winchesters (which I'm sure he will anways😆).

I also liked the way the whole suspense was maintained around Cass. Where is Cass? << This question is sure going to last a little longer. For now, I'd like to believe/hope he's fine and gave Purgatory a hard time despite the fact that angels aren't a very suitable material for Purgatory, much worse than humans I suppose.😳

Amelia, no opinion as of now. I'd first see more of hers before making one. But please just say you're NOT the reason (in any slightest way possible) Sam didn't look out for Dean. 😳
Um, also I remember this now (so editing again😆) was someone keeping an eye on Sam? I think I saw a shadow following/watching him when Sam left Amelia's house or was it Amelia herself? 🤔

Closing the gates of hell forever?! Now that must be important. Crowley and Winchesters will be ready to deep fry each other to get their hands on this so called power-source needed to do the job.😆

Lastly, the title of this post. For some people, Death is just a phase. I read this on one of the official posters of season 8 and it shows not one but two Dean's in the frame. And I feel this line will hold a lot of significance this season. Basically might drive the whole season. I'm yet to make anything out of that but it has sparked great interest in me, word.

So that's it! Quite long but that's me. 😆 So yeah. I'd love to hear your views too! So go ahead and share them. :)

P.S : I'd like to thank the Moderators for adhering our request of having Supernatural's own forum. Seriously, this a boon. Thank you! :)

Edited by herms_angel - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Aanya. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
I don't even know what to say, maine sab bol diya same to same 🤣

The fact that Sam didn't look for Dean doesn't bug me. He finally did what he'd promised to do to Dean in the event that either of them died or something. Also like I said in my analysis Sam has always wanted independence. Which is not to say he doesn't love Dean, it just means he's smart enough to cut his ties to this world and begin a normal life while he can.

As for why didn't answer Kevin's phone calls, I just replied to Priya so I'm going to quote myself 😆

I don't think he can be blamed. He should've but you can't blame him because he hasn't because I think, it's like, it's like breaking up with an abusive boyfriend you know? (Apologies if the analogy offends anyone!) You break up with him and you cut off all ties, take a fresh start. Here the boyfriend is hunting, in my opinion. Sam had nothing to go on with. No clues, no family (as you said) so he quit that world and lived normally and had a fresh start!

That's basically what I think.

Oh and I'm in complete agreement when you say that purgatory will be costly for Dean. At the same time, I don't think Benny was the one to whom Dean paid his due. If that was the case, we'd never see Dean acting so friendly towards Benny once he got back with Sam and Kevin and stuff. Also you asked what was wrong with his hand, his hand had Benny's soul in it! :)

I also loved the tag line. For some people, Death is just a phase. Wow.

🤗
Edited by Aanya. - 11 years ago
SilentSilver thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
can i just copy past everything here😆

Dean was looking his purgatory best as you said and scared the hell out of those poor campers😆
dean bringing back his purgatory friend back, well at first it was creepy :O and then it became interesting 😳 😆 and EXACTLY..what happened to his hand :O :O
Same specializes in BFF'ing monster..😆 don't remind me of that Ruby now..I swear i have cursed her well enough :P
But yeah Dean becoming so friendly with a creature is,well really weird...but then there should be a back story to this.
'They keep each other sane' i perfectly love this line..and its true.The Bonding among the brothers may not be perfect but its just so endearing,just so beautiful.
Sam-Amelia fashbacks were tad to forced.They could have been shown in a much more better way. Ok so i am not the only creature imagining...There WAS someone watching Sam in Amelia's house...

Ok dont judge me for this,but in many parts i actually like Crowley,or rather his badass'ness😆
so  till he doesn't do anything REALLY bad ,i can pretty much tolerate him :P

Cass...imagine an angel in purgatory :O it is bad  enough for humans then imagine an angel of heaven there.Waiting to see what actually happened to him.
Closing the gates of heaven would be very very important.More than anything the demons are the very thing with killed their parents,and turned their lives upside down.So this time its Winchesters vs Crowley.
'Death is just a phase' ..I LOVE this line..and its so much true when it comes to the Winchesters.
I saw that poster too, and i am way too curious to know what on earth does 2 Dean signify...

And yeah i did miss Bobby too,i seriously cant get used to him being dead

P.S ok just a thought when monsters or 'creatures' die they go to purgatory, but what happens when they are Killed INSIDE the purgatory again ????🤔
Edited by -BlazingWater- - 11 years ago
-x-Reshu-x- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
res😳

Edit :

Originally posted by: herms_angel

I really liked the way the episode started off. With Dean trying to figure out where he is and looking his Purgatory best.😆 It wouldn't have made sense had they shown him just jump out squeaky clean. The music/background score the show uses is always a plus point which works well with theme. Dean bringing back his Purgatory buddy Benny back to life was something really interesting and creepy at the same time. 😳 Whatever was wrong with his hand? 😳 i liked the start as well😳 Jensen was looking HOT☺️ i liked his dressing as well😆 i know random stuffs😆
bringing back Benny was creepy but that scene was shot beautifully😳 now we know what was wrong with his hand😆

Dean making BFFs with monsters isn't his forte, its something Sam specializes in. 😆So Dean really actually practically hugging Benny was a bit of a shocker. 😳 Sure this relationship/partnership has more to it than meets the eye. Its obvious Dean's bargain must not have been an easy one, it never is. Something really terrible has happened down there and you don't need me telling that, you'll know it for yourself. Just like his stay in hell wasn't a cheap one, I'm sure Purgatory will prove to be more costlier.
i am quite sure Dean has done stuffs in purgatory which he is gonna regret especially bring back Benny i don't think he is a good news😆 the way they have showed him when he was talking to dean over the phone didn't give the right vibes to me😆 he either did something or is planning to do something😆

The reunion scene was SO Sam and Dean. You can see these brothers are so not what they're without each other. They part, things change, they change, everything changes. Their lives are skyrocketed and returns back to normal, actually the supernaturally normal only when they are together again. Time and again they prove that they keep each other human. The whole scene was shot so beautifully in terms of everything the audience would expect, the emotions, the guilt, the relief, the anger, the disappointment, the hug, the emptiness, in short a perfect blend of the flawed yet beautiful characters Dean and Sam.
brotherly hug is always awesome and sam saying can we just say hello?🤣 it was so sam and dean doing all kind of test was so dean😆 but the smile dean had when he said lets do it

Coming down to the Sam 'betraying' Dean issue, as much as I'm disappointed I won't judge Sam just yet. The reason of my disappointment is the writers/creatives, not Sam. 'Cause for now they showed this as another 'Sam falls for girl, forgets Dean' thing which I'm hoping wouldn't be the actual case. I mean c'mon we have seen Sam grow and mature so much throughout the seasons, especially the 7th one that I wouldn't buy the 'girl' excuse. I'm sure there is a bigger picture here or else there would be no flashback theory on Sam's side. Flashbacks just for the sake of Amelia? Nah! For now, I do understand the state Sam's been in. He was alone, all alone out there with no family and absolutely no clue of where to begin and what to begin with. With Crowley and Kevin gone poof, Bobby dead and no friends around what else could he have done?
if sam has actually not looked for Dean just like that then i am disappointed but as of now i don't want to judge Sam because i think there is more into it😊 i mean there is NO way Sam will not look for Dean until writers come up with solid reason and not give a crap like just as we promised each other we will move on in life like Dean said they have always ignored that because they love each other SO much so how can Sam move on in life just like that?😕 this is NOT the Sam we know so yeah i will wait for more to come in on Sam's story before judging him😛

But at the same time, the thought that he didn't try and search for Dean at all bugs me a lot. Why didn't he atleast give it a try? I guess time will answer that better. As for Dean, his disappointment in Sam is justified. The fact that his only family, his little precious Sammy didn't look for him is indeed hurting and painful. He's been in Purgatory for a year, suffered God knows what kind of crap, his only consolation would have been the thought that Sam searched for him and didn't give up so soon. So at the moment, both scenarios seem fair.
Dean's disappointment was completely justified he was hurt that his little Sammy didn't try to look for him and he had every right for that but future will tell who will be more disappointed with whom because both seems to have done some stuffs which they are not telling each other😆

You could see them both struggling to cope with their own thoughts,instincts and feelings. Dean's resolute stand of saving the people and the world and Sam's hesitant approach to it. They both have their own reasons for their respective ideologies and yet we can't think of whom to side with. 'Cause sometimes its not about right and wrong, its about the choices we make.

Now Kevin has grown up quite a bit, didn't he? It was probably good that Sam didn't attend to his calls ( Although its hard to understand why he would ignore so many of them)  Sam didn't ignore the phones he never checked them because as he said he had dumped his phones so he never knew that Kevin escaped from Crowley and needs his help 'cause that made him stand up for himself. It made me independent, strong and mature. Gone is the kid who was once to attend college and here is the Prophet who knows his job and is doing his best at it. His decision of saving the world/God's word over his girlfriend is a proof to that.
yes Kevin has grown up a lot and i liked it😛

Coming to Crowley, I have lost the count of how many times I must have wished he was dead. But admit it or not, he contributes a lot to the story. So I can tolerate him for some more time unless he causes serious damage to the Winchesters (which I'm sure he will anways😆). i don't want him to die😆 not yet😆 he is a good badass😆

I also liked the way the whole suspense was maintained around Cass. Where is Cass? << This question is sure going to last a little longer. For now, I'd like to believe/hope he's fine and gave Purgatory a hard time despite the fact that angels aren't a very suitable material for Purgatory, much worse than humans I suppose.😳

Amelia, no opinion as of now. I'd first see more of hers before making one. But please just say you're NOT the reason (in any slightest way possible) Sam didn't look out for Dean. 😳
Um, also I remember this now (so editing again😆) was someone keeping an eye on Sam? I think I saw a shadow following/watching him when Sam left Amelia's house or was it Amelia herself? 🤔 yes there was someone watching Sam when he left home no comment on Amelia as of now as i said there is more into it as well bcoz sam said there was a girl then there wasn't? what does that mean?😆

Closing the gates of hell forever?! Now that must be important. Crowley and Winchesters will be ready to deep fry each other to get their hands on this so called power-source needed to do the job.😆 i don't know if its just me or anyone else also felt it that Sam was not much interested in closing the gate of hell😕 i mean he didn't react or anything🤔 i might be wrong though

Lastly, the title of this post. For some people, Death is just a phase. I read this on one of the official posters of season 8 and it shows not one but two Dean's in the frame. And I feel this line will hold a lot of significance this season. Basically might drive the whole season. I'm yet to make anything out of that but it has sparked great interest in me, word.

lastly i loved the way purgatory and all the flashbacks were shot😳 and also the way it is shown how Dean is having difficulty in adjusting back in here i mean the hotel room scene and all😳

Edited by -x-Reshu-x- - 11 years ago
annihilation thumbnail

Originally posted by: Aanya.

The fact that Sam didn't look for Dean doesn't bug me. He finally did what he'd promised to do to Dean in the event that either of them died or something. Also like I said in my analysis Sam has always wanted independence. Which is not to say he doesn't love Dean, it just means he's smart enough to cut his ties to this world and begin a normal life while he can.

As for why didn't answer Kevin's phone calls, I just replied to Priya so I'm going to quote myself 😆

I don't think he can be blamed. He should've but you can't blame him because he hasn't because I think, it's like, it's like breaking up with an abusive boyfriend you know? (Apologies if the analogy offends anyone!) You break up with him and you cut off all ties, take a fresh start. Here the boyfriend is hunting, in my opinion. Sam had nothing to go on with. No clues, no family (as you said) so he quit that world and lived normally and had a fresh start!

That's basically what I think.

I know and I agree that Sam can't really be blamed for not looking out for Dean. He had absolutely no clue whatsoever! How and where would he begin with? I'm certainly not questioning his love for his brother. The reason is the question bugs me is 'cause when it comes to Dean, Sam just doesn't easily give up. There's always a part in him who's nagging and nudging him to try once more. He tried all that he could to save Dean from dying in season 3. When Gabriel played tricks on Sam to show how life would be without Dean, it just showed how Sam was not the Sam anymore. He was the one who stepped into the shoes of a big brother in season 7 and supported Dean throughout even when his head was going to explode with 'Good Morning Vietnam' chants.Thing is, the we Sam we know doesn't give up just like that, especially when its about his family/Dean. There has to be some concrete explanation, some blow, something that made him shut everything out and just go on about. << That is what my point is. :)

Originally posted by: Aanya.

At the same time, I don't think Benny was the one to whom Dean paid his due. If that was the case, we'd never see Dean acting so friendly towards Benny once he got back with Sam and Kevin and stuff.

Um, I'm not so sure about that. 🤔 For now it looks like Dean paid his due both to Purgatory and Benny. Benny just doesn't seem to be an escort out of Purgatory or else they wouldn't have showed him again after the graveyard meeting. He has much more to do with Dean. Didn't you notice the hesitation in Dean? All the while he spoke to Benny over phone? And if at all, Benny's a 'good friend', why would Dean try to hide him from Sam? Why not let Sam know he got out with the help of a vampire friend? Dean only hides things from Sam when he has done thing's he wasn't supposed to or wouldn't have done ever! Only when it has explored a new, probably not so good side of him.
Edited by herms_angel - 11 years ago
annihilation thumbnail

Originally posted by: -BlazingWater-

EXACTLY..what happened to his hand :O :O

Thanks to Aanya, we have an answer. Dean had Benny's soul in his hand. 

P.S ok just a thought when monsters or 'creatures' die they go to purgatory, but what happens when they are Killed INSIDE the purgatory again ????🤔

That is a good question. Erm, may be they die for real. 🤔

Aanya. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5

I know and I agree that Sam can't really be blamed for not looking out for Dean. He had absolutely no clue whatsoever! How and where would he begin with? I'm certainly not questioning his love for his brother. The reason is the question bugs me is 'cause when it comes to Dean, Sam just doesn't easily give up. There's always a part in him who's nagging and nudging him to try once more. He tried all that he could to save Dean from dying in season 3. When Gabriel played tricks on Sam to show how life would be without Dean, it just showed how Sam was not the Sam anymore. He was the one who stepped into the shoes of a big brother in season 7 and supported Dean throughout even when his head was going to explode with 'Good Morning Vietnam' chants.Thing is, the we Sam we know doesn't give up just like that, especially when its about his family/Dean. There has to be some concrete explanation, some blow, something that made him shut everything out and just go on about. << That is what my point is. :)

That, I agree with. There might be an explanation. However I still think there's none and that he simply cut off all ties. Like Crowley said..."You are well and truly alone."

Lets see :D

Um, I'm not so sure about that. 🤔 For now it looks like Dean paid his due both to Purgatory and Benny. Benny just doesn't seem to be an escort out of Purgatory or else they wouldn't have showed him again after the graveyard meeting. He has much more to do with Dean. Didn't you notice the hesitation in Dean? All the while he spoke to Benny over phone? And if at all, Benny's a 'good friend', why would Dean try to hide him from Sam? Why not let Sam know he got out with the help of a vampire friend? Dean only hides things from Sam when he has done thing's he wasn't supposed to or wouldn't have done ever! Only when it has explored a new, probably not so good side of him.

I disagree. I don't think Dean paid a price to Benny, not really. That being said, I do agree that Dean paid some price. I think now that he's back in the human word Dean might be ashamed of the fact that he took help from Benny. Because Dean is such a righteous man, or at least he has a strong sense of what is typically "right" and he trusted a supernatural creature, gave his life in his hands. I think that might also have to do with Cas. Cas is the only "creature" Dean has trusted to the point of calling him family and look what Cas did to him. I mean, they never really "made up" or even talked it out. So I think if possible he distrusted supernatural creatures even more than before, in Season 7.

Which is why I think he might feel guilty and/or ashamed of trusting Benny but still a grudging admiration/respect for the guy because he does make Benny promise he'll call him if there's an emergency.

Really excited about this Benny thing, I swear 😆
annihilation thumbnail
@Aanya - Point taken ma'am. And agreed to 90% of the material. 😆 I'm so excited too! The forum's buzzing already. :D Edited by herms_angel - 11 years ago
-nautankidollz- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
oh many i loved reading all this..
actually read everything twice.
hee hee . golly  just shows how much of a sucker i am for supernatural discussions.
 Ok firstly i seriously dont think amelia would be the reason . coz for one simple common sense thing sam wouldnt have run into amelia the second he lost his brother??? could he? doesnt seem beleivable.
 n man i am gonna punch carver if this all ends up being
sammy-met-a-girl-n-forgot-deano crap... again.

ans as far as i was concerned(n u already read that in another topic🤣) wasnt happy with ajib crawley-lacking-badass-attitude portrayel. was unbelievable.

and sam .. well he just appeared tired n deafeated to me. not happy on seeing dean not overly shocked. just way to tired and oh yeah ashamed in the scenes dean tear him a new one for not looking for him or kevin.
 i so hope this sam issue gets resolves soon..

oh n yeah now tht u mentioned it. there was this shadow keeping a watch on sa. wonder who he was..
 n benny. i think dean had his soul , umm his essence inside of him(arm) tht he poured back onto his bones with his blood sacrifce,.
(ok tht is gross)🤣
but loved tht graveyard scene , well just for my extreme shallow reasons of dean looking smashingly hot in that sweaty tired look!!

ahem really exited abt this benny track. coz i agree dean isnt a guy to side with monters. wht made him do tht now??
CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable GoPhoto.it
annihilation thumbnail

Originally posted by: -x-Reshu-x-

i liked the start as well😳 Jensen was looking HOT☺️ i liked his dressing as well😆 i know random stuffs😆

bringing back Benny was creepy but that scene was shot beautifully😳 now we know what was wrong with his hand😆

i am quite sure Dean has done stuffs in purgatory which he is gonna regret especially bring back Benny i don't think he is a good news😆 the way they have showed him when he was talking to dean over the phone didn't give the right vibes to me😆 he either did something or is planning to do something😆

brotherly hug is always awesome and sam saying can we just say hello?🤣 it was so sam and dean doing all kind of test was so dean😆 but the smile dean had when he said lets do it

if sam has actually not looked for Dean just like that then i am disappointed but as of now i don't want to judge Sam because i think there is more into it😊 i mean there is NO way Sam will not look for Dean until writers come up with solid reason and not give a crap like just as we promised each other we will move on in life like Dean said they have always ignored that because they love each other SO much so how can Sam move on in life just like that?😕 this is NOT the Sam we know so yeah i will wait for more to come in on Sam's story before judging him😛

Dean's disappointment was completely justified he was hurt that his little Sammy didn't try to look for him and he had every right for that but future will tell who will be more disappointed with whom because both seems to have done some stuffs which they are not telling each other😆

Sam didn't ignore the phones he never checked them because as he said he had dumped his phones so he never knew that Kevin escaped from Crowley and needs his help 

yes Kevin has grown up a lot and i liked it😛

i don't want him to die😆 not yet😆 he is a good badass😆

yes there was someone watching Sam when he left home no comment on Amelia as of now as i said there is more into it as well bcoz sam said there was a girl then there wasn't? what does that mean?😆

i don't know if its just me or anyone else also felt it that Sam was not much interested in closing the gate of hell😕 i mean he didn't react or anything🤔 i might be wrong though

lastly i loved the way purgatory and all the flashbacks were shot😳 and also the way it is shown how Dean is having difficulty in adjusting back in here i mean the hotel room scene and all😳

Replying only to the parts in grey.

1. Both Dean and Sam seem to be hiding stuff from each other at the moment. Which is exactly why the creatives have used the flashback theory. We'll come to know all that as time passes by.

2. I think I have said enough on that part. So lets see if the future episodes have anything to offer on it.

3. Sam does want all this to end. Its just that he was hesitant initially about going back to hunting since he hadn't been hunting the whole year. If he wasn't up for it, he wouldn't have convinced Kevin either.