Supernatural

S08E01: We need to talk about Kevin: WU

Aanya. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago
Hi guys! 🤗

I'm Aanya and I'll be doing the written update for the premier episode of Season 8. I'm so excited :D I have also never, ever, ever done a written update before so feel free to let me know I suck 😆

"We need to talk about Kevin"

Well the episode, as always starts with a recap of Season 7 where we see Godstiel, Levi!Cas, Bobby dying, Dick Roman being his namesake, Kevin Tran making his appearance, Cas taking on Sam's hallucinations and finally Sam being left alone at the end.

Cut to the current episode, which takes place 1 year later and opens in a 100 Mile stretch of wilderness, Maine. We see a young couple out camping when the girl wakes up because there's a bright white light. She's (obviously) petrified and wakes her boyfriend up as well who deems nothing happened and that it was a deer until he shines the flashlight and we see Dean in all his purgatory glory, pointing an axe at the guy and looking absolutely disheveled and grimy.

Dean asks the couple where he is but then realizes he's back into the human world. So he steals the rucksack that the couple brought and hightails from there.

Four days later Dean is dropped off at Clayton, Louisiana and we see him hitchhiking all day to reach a graveyard at night. He digs up a grave and proceeds to place a cut on his arm and we see a soul/essence of something drop into the bones that grave contained. He recites a spell and then we see a man who's apparently been resurrected from the grave by Dean.

The man, is Benny, a vampire that Dean brought back with him from Purgatory. he and said vampire have quite a bond because they promise to look out for each other and then part ways.

Scene shifts to Kermit, Texas where we see Sam packing his duffel bag and leaving his girlfriend (later introduced as Amelia) and his dog behind. He takes the Impala and goes to Rufus' cabin but we're shown that someone is watching him as he leaves.

He enters the cabin only to be tackled by Dean as he tests him to see whether he's human. Dean performs the same tests on himself and the brothers reunite. We even get a hug :D

Dean then reveals he's been in purgatory all this while upon which Sam is shocked and asks him about Cas. Dean is vague but implies that Cas sort of "gave up". He doesn't confirm Castiel's death though.

Dean asks Sam why he hasn't been picking up the phone and Sam reveals that he quit hunting because he had no one left. We also come to know that Sam hadn't looked for Dean at all, a fact that hurts Dean a lot.

Later in the evening Dean plays the messages Kevin Tran left on Sam's phone six months ago and tells Sam that he shouldn't have abandoned Kevin because he was their responsibility. Sam agrees and they scour for Kevin's whereabouts. They see footage of him at a college in Centerville and head there.

In the process Dean is reunited with his two great loves, the Impala and burgers 😆

We also see flashbacks of Dean in purgatory, killing monsters. Cas is nowhere in sight. Sam and Dean stay overnight at a motel and Sam says he used to have a girlfriend and Dean relives a flashback to purgatory. We see his first meeting with Benny and they decide to strike a deal to get out of there.

The brothers then reach the college in centerville and talk to Kevin's girlfriend Channing who apparently has broken up with him. she doesn't reveal anything helpful and the brothers leave but we're shown that Channing is being possessed and she reports to someone that Dean is back from purgatory and also murders her roommate.

Sam also has a flashback, which is his first meeting with Amelia. He's almost run over a dog and is frantic and brings him to a hospital. Amelia is the doctor who then guilt trips Sam into keeping the dog.

A while later Sam is able to locate Kevin by his IP address and they head towards there. On meeting with Kevin he fills them up on what has happened so far, the gist being, he escaped Crowley by tricking him and then stashing the second word of God in a safe place. The brothers are impressed. Kevin also tells them that the tablet said how to close the gates of Hell forever and how to banish every single demon on this earth. Dean is enthusiastic about the idea and Sam, not so much. But Dean convinces him anyway and Sam then has a talk with Kevin where he apologizes to him for abandoning him like that.

The demons arrive moments after and Sam and Dean along with Kevin are able to kill them. But then Crowley arrives with a possessed Channing. He too doesn't know about Cas. He then proceeds to threaten Kevin to give him the word of God and translate it or he'll kill Channing. Dean is against Kevin giving in but Kevin gives in anyway. He goes to take the tablet and when he doesn't come back, Crowley and Channing go looking for him. They're surprised when Kevin douses them with holy water and Kev uses that time to run away with Sam and Dean.

Crowley orders the demon possessing Channing to "find another meat suit" and the demon leaves. Kevin sees Crowley break Channing's neck and killing her.

The episode ends with the brothers and Kevin at a gas station where Dean receives a call from Benny. He pretends its a wrong number in front of Sam but then later goes out and calls him. He tells Benny to not call him too often and to stay safe. The episode ends after the phonecall.

Episode rating: 9/10

----------

I tried to make it as short as possible, sorry 😆 Leave your thoughts :)
And for my personal views + analysis on the episode, go here.

xoxo

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

annihilation thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I did one too. ðŸ¤£ But its copy pasted from Wiki. I'll request to close mine. ðŸ˜³
annihilation thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
And and and this is such an amazingly written update. I'd love to read if you do them for every episode. <3 And i'll take the liberty to say you suck for even having a doubt that you can suck at writing. :|
Aanya. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
This content was originally posted by: herms_angel

And and and this is such an amazingly written update. I'd love to read if you do them for every episode. <3 And i'll take the liberty to say you suck for even having a doubt that you can suck at writing. :|

Asdkjajdghafdfkj thank you so much 😳

I'm going to stick to analyzing though! And maybe an update here and there LOL.
Onupriya thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
thanks for the short yet nice update.
Bims thumbnail
thanks for the update... its awesum 😊
-Deepzz- thumbnail
I loved the episode... Dean is like addicted to demon hunting now.. He is more of an adrenalin junkie..always looking for a combat . Kevin was an unexpected surprise .. He has learned to survive .. Missed Castiel ðŸ˜³
Crowley rocks ðŸ˜Ž  .. I felt bad for Sam in the absence of Dean 
Benny seems interesting...wonder how he will factor in between the bros. 

Thanks for the Update 
Jarin04 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Thnx for the written update