Kaun Banega Crorepati 6

He's a celebrity people- not God

reeha_k thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago
Hi,

My parents love KBC and wait eagerly for it each year- that being said even they agree with me on this one.

I'm a first Generation Canadian, and I've only been to India twice- my connection to the nation is through my parents, their faith, our food, language (punjabi) and of course art (music, Bollywood, etc) So, I DO understand that Big B is huge. I get it. But the amount of cray-cray and starstruckness these people experience around him is sort of... humorous. One of the Contestants "I see this light around you, as if god has sat down in front of me" EVEN AMITAB wanted to ROLL HIS EYES. 

Even some of the banter between the contestants and Amitab is ridiculous, and it's obvious that even Amitab wants to shake his head: "Will you say Hi to my Blah, blah and blah"- Can I sing for you? Can I rehearse a Line for you? Can you say this line for me? Can I comment on how amazing you look? Can I tell you how much I love you?

Seriously, if people talked this much to their politicians, more proactive action would be taken to get things done. 

He is an Actor, not a doctor who is going to possibly find a cure for cancer-- appreciate his on screen talent and move on and focus on answering some questions. Seriously. Half the show is delayed because so many contestants have the urge and tendency to go: "Sir, can I do this?", "Sir, can I sing this?", "Sir  can you say this?" GAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!! 

That being said, Kudos to Amitab for being such a sport, he's very humble and always tries to politely divert any and all flattery delivered towards him. Not everyone could do that. He always tries to focus on the stories and issues of the contestant which can be used as lessons towards others. 

Overall Point: He's just a man, treat him like any other with respect, dignity and kindness- he isn't flawless and the son of God- stop acting like he's the solution to world peace, the level of starstruckness is literally gag worthy. 

Cheers,

Reeha

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sugar_21 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
you put my thoughts in to words here in your post. I'm also from Canada btw! I was born in India though, but I've spent a substantial amount of time here in Canada. All the points you made here in your post, I think, are actually part of a social problem in India - Illiteracy. And, when I say illiteracy, I don't refer to the basic definition. In fact, an illiterate person for me is anyone void of common sense. People revere celebrities in India, so much that they forget that they are (celebrities) are different people on screen and off screen. I can provide several examples, but lets look at the example of Govinda being elected as an MP. you just need to google his name and apprise yourself of the mess he made as an MP (in case you are unaware). 

My point is people in India need to start endowing their respect, devotion, commitment and utmost love to the ones who are most deserving. Actors are good, they are excellent in fact, but like you said, they are not gods. The day such basic things become clear in our native nation, many of the social/political problems will disappear. 

No offence to any actor, just a thought. 
masin thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
WOW! Thanks to both the posts above for putting my thoughts into words! I'm born in Pakistan and raised in Canada and a huge bollywood freak! I understand why people go crazy over Amitabh, it's how I go crazy over SRK...but the fact remains that he's a celebrity. I personally hate the idea of calling someone God other than God Himself...and that's what irritates me the most about this show. My parents and I really enjoy watching KBC...my mom is a huge fan! The show really highlights the simplicity of the contestants and hence Indians themselves. But when they start putting Amitabh Bachan on some unnecessary pedestal...even I start rolling my eyes!

And quite frankly, I don't know of all his achievements as a person...apparently he comes from a family of doctorates and what not...but as far as I know, he's achieved a lot in his profession and that's about it. It's fine if people commend his work and congratulate him on his success but to go all over his family, his granddaughter, and him especially is a little over-the-top and highly necessary in my opinion!

I'm glad someone took the time to bring this up and share their sensibility with the rest of us! Thank you!
happy96 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I can connect with you Reeha even I am first generation Canadian from India
pinky9999 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Totally agree with u, another Canadian, wow! Way too much time spent idolising AB, and my husband agrees with me...and I wonder if he is really humble or just a good actor doing his job! I understand at commercial break he doesn't talk to anyone?
JasToronto thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: reeha...k

Hi,

My parents love KBC and wait eagerly for it each year- that being said even they agree with me on this one.

I'm a first Generation Canadian, and I've only been to India twice- my connection to the nation is through my parents, their faith, our food, language (punjabi) and of course art (music, Bollywood, etc) So, I DO understand that Big B is huge. I get it. But the amount of cray-cray and starstruckness these people experience around him is sort of... humorous. One of the Contestants "I see this light around you, as if god has sat down in front of me" EVEN AMITAB wanted to ROLL HIS EYES. 

Even some of the banter between the contestants and Amitab is ridiculous, and it's obvious that even Amitab wants to shake his head: "Will you say Hi to my Blah, blah and blah"- Can I sing for you? Can I rehearse a Line for you? Can you say this line for me? Can I comment on how amazing you look? Can I tell you how much I love you?

Seriously, if people talked this much to their politicians, more proactive action would be taken to get things done. 

He is an Actor, not a doctor who is going to possibly find a cure for cancer-- appreciate his on screen talent and move on and focus on answering some questions. Seriously. Half the show is delayed because so many contestants have the urge and tendency to go: "Sir, can I do this?", "Sir, can I sing this?", "Sir  can you say this?" GAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!! 

That being said, Kudos to Amitab for being such a sport, he's very humble and always tries to politely divert any and all flattery delivered towards him. Not everyone could do that. He always tries to focus on the stories and issues of the contestant which can be used as lessons towards others. 

Overall Point: He's just a man, treat him like any other with respect, dignity and kindness- he isn't flawless and the son of God- stop acting like he's the solution to world peace, the level of starstruckness is literally gag worthy. 

Cheers,

Reeha

Hello Reeha :)

You know people of India are special and they do crazy things for their super stars, religious saints, gurus and polititions. May be your dad can tell you how much respect Gandhi family gets from their constituency called Amethi in UP, India. People still treat Rahul as God in that area because they have done so much for those poor people.
Haven't you seen people of USA crying in Michael Jakson's concerts? I have seen some girls were even fainting. LOL 
Now lets talk about Amitabh. There is no doubt that he is very talented and intelligent actor. he has command on his language and very few people can speak correct hindi on screen. He is simply amazing. He has given back to back super hit films in seventies. People are fond of him.

I heard that in late sixties film star Rajesh Khanna (film Aaradhna's success) was so popular among Indian girls that they use to fill their mangs with the dirt he was walking on. (just like Sindhur married woman apply in their hair)
As far as people's behaviour on the sets is concerned I think they intentionally do it to get footage and coverage on national tv.Furthermore producers and creatives got nothing to lose in this business. They rather encourage the hot seat occupants to ask these questions to kill time so that they will have to pay out to only one or two contestants per day. Why would they want to speed up things? They have got their entry fees in terms of sms' thus they don't care how much time a contestant wastes on the sets. If they want they can edit these stupid things out but its working for them.
He is a good human being but if a poor contestant lose and doesn't even hit his target, Amitabh never donate them anything. He has made billions from this show but his contribution to society is almost nill. May be he is doing secret charity which we don't know. Salman khan, Sharukh Khan, Amir Khan, Dharmender are known to donate in charities. He claims that he is 1/2 punjabi because his mother late Mrs Teji Bacchan was from a sikh family. I don't think that Mr Bacchan is carring any genes from his mother.
pkdhot thumbnail
Networker 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: pinky9999

Totally agree with u, another Canadian, wow! Way too much time spent idolising AB, and my husband agrees with me...and I wonder if he is really humble or just a good actor doing his job! I understand at commercial break he doesn't talk to anyone?

He gets paid big bucks for what he does and people worship him saying "aapko dekha to bhagwan ke Darshan ho gaye" get real people he is just an ordinary man who happens to be famous with his hard work and years of experience for his profession.
But yeh hain India mery jaan everything has to be overly done on tv. I am Canadian too btw!
geek2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
If you have not lived in India, you have no idea how huge is Amitabh's fan base.
He is one of the biggest star of more than 2 generations.
Come on give we Indians a break!
Priya_990 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: geek2

If you have not lived in India, you have no idea how huge is Amitabh's fan base.
He is one of the biggest star of more than 2 generations.
Come on give we Indians a break!

hey it's true that they don't live in India but they have put some very nice points in their posts.truly no one is above God and we Indians treat Sachin,Dhoni etc etc as God.it is not right.we can take amithabhji as role model.we can admire his acting,his hosting skills but we shouldn't compare him with God.
monu_tan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I guess people have no clue how talented and successful Amitabh Bacchan has truly been. The most striking thing about him is that he has been the best in whatever assignments he had done, be it acting or hosting a tv show. I wont compare him with the Khans coz almost everyone of them are like minnows in front of him, you can verify it with the Trp's of the show that the khans anchor. Acting wise we all know that he is one of the first superstar of bolly though there were many others preceding him, but this man is still running strong. I dont really believe that the Khans would be really acting at the age of 70. Apart from his professional success he belongs to a very illustrious family but still has a very humble outlook towards common people. Such person deserves and commands respect from everyone and he gets it from everyone without asking for it.

There's something unique about the previous generation actors and that is that they dont really act like superstars in real life. This quality is absent in present generation self boasting successful stars. 
Edited by monu_tan - 11 years ago