He's a celebrity people- not God - Page 2

Posted: 11 years ago
@ Monu Tan: your argument implies that every talented, successful person should be revered, but unfortunately this isn't done. Why aren't social workers like Anna Hazare and many many others whose names aren't even known amongst the youth but have struggled truly for the betterment of the society revered so much? why? Actors are great, some of them donate a portion of the fat income they earn towards charity, but what about social workers who devote their entire life for the society. Why aren't they revered and as well known as actors then? you seem to know a lot that's why I ask.  Edited by Sugar_21 - 11 years ago
Originally posted by Sugar_21

@ Monu Tan: your argument implies that every talented, successful person should be revered, but unfortunately this isn't done. Why aren't social workers like Anna Hazare and many many others whose names aren't even known amongst the youth but have struggled truly for the betterment of the society revered so much? why? Actors are great, some of them donate a portion of the fat income they earn towards charity, but what about social workers who devote their entire life for the society. Why aren't they revered and as well known as actors then? you seem to know a lot that's why I ask. 

Pray tell me where do I mention that every successful person should be revered? Infact i make comparisons in my post between Amitabh and many others to tell why he stands out from the rest. Also to be revered one doesnt need to be a movie star, even Sachin is revered in India and he is a successful sportsperson with no links to movies.
Ratan Tata is hugely respected all across india and he is no movie star too.

Why are social activists not revered? This is a very interesting point and i would tell you only my point of view which may or may not b agreeable. Do tell me yours as well. 
During independence era, indians revered Gandhi.People were simple then and they wanted someone to stand for their freedom fight. Gandhi achieved something which couldnt be done by ordinary men, also he was well known, respected everywhere. If you think of indian independance you cant imagine it without Gandhi.
Amitabh spent more than 50 years in bollywood, had earned various accolades. Everybody retired but he didnt and is still going strong. Can we imagine the bolly without Amitabh? No we cant, he had a huge contribution to indian cinema. Also he is very well known too.
Same goes for Sachin. I cant imagine what would Sachin do without cricket and cricket do without Sachin.
Ratan Tata belongs to a very prestigious business family. In India, from common Salt to trucks, housing and now cars, Tata is everywhere. Tata has touched every common man's life. Not every businessman can do that. While he was busy taking over luxury car segment in Europe he also planned cheap cars and cheap housing for common indian people. His business is widespread but he isnt the richest man in India.

If you see the common attributes between all these people is that they make a positive impact all across indian populace and they have done something that ordinary mortals cannot. They are also best in their resp fields and are widely known. 

Sad part with social activists is that we hardly know much about them. They make impact in their respective region of work and i am sure they get respect for that. But beyond that they have no face. Another problem with social activists is that there are many pretentious wannabes among them, so the real ones get ignored.

Anna Hazare is a very respectable social activist, he had an influence which coerced many indian youths in his jail bharo andolan 1-2 yrs ago. Had he been consistent in his approach and a bit more shrewd than the corrupt govt of india, he would have won more patronage among indian ppl. But sadly he is now as clueless as we are for the future, so somewhere he fails as a leader.
Originally posted by Sugar_21

you put my thoughts in to words here in your post. I'm also from Canada btw Awesome, now you just need to appreciate the Canucks and we'll get along great ðŸ˜†! I was born in India though, but I've spent a substantial amount of time here in Canada. All the points you made here in your post, I think, are actually part of a social problem in India - Illiteracy I don't know about that, some of the ridiculous amount of attachment comes from the well educated contestants as well. ðŸ˜•. And, when I say illiteracy, I don't refer to the basic definition. In fact, an illiterate person for me is anyone void of common sense Never mind! I see what you're saying- I don't know about common sense, but perhaps it's simply the mentality of the general public?. People revere celebrities in India, so much that they forget that they are (celebrities) are different people on screen and off screen. I can provide several examples, but lets look at the example of Govinda being elected as an MP. you just need to google his name and apprise yourself of the mess he made as an MP (in case you are unaware) India wouldn't be the only nation where the population has elected a celebrity or actor into a position of power: The United States has had Reagan has a President and Schwarzenegger as the Governor of California. 

My point is people in India need to start endowing their respect, devotion, commitment and utmost love to the ones who are most deserving. Actors are good, they are excellent in fact, but like you said, they are not gods. The day such basic things become clear in our native nation, many of the social/political problems will disappear. 

No offence to any actor, just a thought. 
Comments in Blue ðŸ˜Š
Originally posted by masin

WOW! Thanks to both the posts above for putting my thoughts into words! I'm born in Pakistan and raised in Canada and a huge bollywood freak Wow! Another Canadian! Let's hope you like the Canucks too ðŸ˜‰! I understand why people go crazy over Amitabh, it's how I go crazy over SRK...but the fact remains that he's a celebrity. I personally hate the idea of calling someone God other than God Himself...and that's what irritates me the most about this show I don't have an issue per say if someone compares him to god- hey to each their own, right? It's just after a certain point it gets redundant...and a little awkward. You are comparing a celebrity to essentially an all powerful essence which is thought to have created the human race and planet...yeahh...I don't know about that ðŸ˜†. My parents and I really enjoy watching KBC...my mom is a huge fan! The show really highlights the simplicity of the contestants and hence Indians themselves yes that is by far the aspect of the show I love the most: you get to see the every day Indian. India has one of the largest middle classes in the world- number and percentage wise- I'd like to see more of them rather than hearing them praise Amitab.. But when they start putting Amitabh Bachan on some unnecessary pedestal...even I start rolling my eyes!

And quite frankly, I don't know of all his achievements as a person...apparently he comes from a family of doctorates and what not...but as far as I know, he's achieved a lot in his profession and that's about it. It's fine if people commend his work and congratulate him on his success but to go all over his family, his granddaughter, and him especially is a little over-the-top and highly necessary in my opinion! Exactly. I don't know if many people understand the word "boundaries". 

I'm glad someone took the time to bring this up and share their sensibility with the rest of us! Thank you!
Comments in Green ðŸ˜Š
Originally posted by pinky9999

Totally agree with u, another Canadian, wow! Way too much time spent idolising AB, and my husband agrees with me...and I wonder if he is really humble or just a good actor doing his job! I understand at commercial break he doesn't talk to anyone?

That would be interesting to know, but whether he speaks to anyone or not at breaks doesn't detract from the idolization people have towards him. It seems to be encoded into their DNA. ðŸ˜†
Originally posted by JasToronto

Hello Reeha :)

You know people of India are special and they do crazy things for their super stars, religious saints, gurus and polititions. May be your dad can tell you how much respect Gandhi family gets from their constituency called Amethi in UP, India. People still treat Rahul as God in that area because they have done so much for those poor people.
Haven't you seen people of USA crying in Michael Jakson's concerts? I have seen some girls were even fainting. LOL Oh yes! Fanatics are everywhere; I can understand the Gandhi aspect as you're mentioning that the family has done a lot for the poor in the area- I completely get it; but when individuals place celebrities on a pedestal (trust me, I get the MJ parallel, I think that's a little crazy too- and that unfortunately is universal) 
Now lets talk about Amitabh. There is no doubt that he is very talented and intelligent actor. he has command on his language and very few people can speak correct hindi on screen. He is simply amazing. He has given back to back super hit films in seventies. People are fond of him.

I heard that in late sixties film star Rajesh Khanna (film Aaradhna's success) was so popular among Indian girls that they use to fill their mangs with the dirt he was walking on. (just like Sindhur married woman apply in their hair) My mom told me about that, and apparently when he got married, numerous girls committed suicide. I still thing it's crazy and ridiculous, not to mention the most stupid reason to go kill yourself ðŸ˜³
As far as people's behaviour on the sets is concerned I think they intentionally do it to get footage and coverage on national tv.Furthermore producers and creatives got nothing to lose in this business. They rather encourage the hot seat occupants to ask these questions to kill time so that they will have to pay out to only one or two contestants per day. Why would they want to speed up things? That is a great point; and now that you mention it, I'd agree, this is most likely WHY this repetitive praising is allowed and perhaps even encouraged. They have got their entry fees in terms of sms' thus they don't care how much time a contestant wastes on the sets. They charge $? Wow, I hadn't even realized that. What a shame.  If they want they can edit these stupid things out but its working for them.
He is a good human being but if a poor contestant lose and doesn't even hit his target, Amitabh never donate them anything. He has made billions from this show but his contribution to society is almost nill. That's a shame. He has tones of money, if anything the proceeds of some of this income- if not all- could or should be given to charity :/ May be he is doing secret charity which we don't know. Hopefully Salman khan, Sharukh Khan, Amir Khan, Dharmender are known to donate in charities. He claims that he is 1/2 punjabi because his mother late Mrs Teji Bacchan was from a sikh family. I don't think that Mr Bacchan is carring any genes from his mother. You lost me there LOL, no idea what him being punjabi/sikh would have to do with anything ðŸ˜†

Responses in teal ðŸ˜Š
Originally posted by pkdhot

He gets paid big bucks for what he does and people worship him saying "aapko dekha to bhagwan ke Darshan ho gaye" get real people he is just an ordinary man who happens to be famous with his hard work and years of experience for his profession.
But yeh hain India mery jaan everything has to be overly done on tv.That's a great point actually; perhaps this is all orchestrated for TV at the end of the day!  I am Canadian too btw! I hope you're a Canucks fan ðŸ˜ƒ

Responses in Purple ðŸ˜Š
Originally posted by geek2

If you have not lived in India, you have no idea how huge is Amitabh's fan base.
He is one of the biggest star of more than 2 generations.
Come on give we Indians a break!
Oh Trust me, anyone who hasn't lived in India still knows how but a deal he is. Clint Eastwood of the East. We get it. Trust me. We do. 

Still...Eastwood isn't Jesus Christ to Americans, you see the parallel I'm making?

Actors and celebrities always have fans, it just seems that the Indian population is condition to turn the word "fanatic" into "religious fanatic" because cinema and it's related icons are not just a form of entertainment, they seem to be another religion all together. ðŸ˜‰
Originally posted by Priya_990

hey it's true that they don't live in India but they have put some very nice points in their posts.truly no one is above God and we Indians treat Sachin,Dhoni etc etc as God.it is not right.we can take amithabhji as role model.we can admire his acting,his hosting skills but we shouldn't compare him with God.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't compare them/him to god; I'm just pointing out the ludicrousness in doing so😉 . I'm one who believes admire individual's talent, but not constantly admire everything about them: Look, speech, stature. There's a difference between being a fan and being the fan that wants to sleep with a lock of the celebrities hair. In India it seems that the lock of hair would have a temple built for it, with worshipers coming from miles to offer prasad and take their blessings. ðŸ˜†
Originally posted by monu_tan

I guess people have no clue how talented and successful Amitabh Bacchan has truly been. The most striking thing about him is that he has been the best in whatever assignments he had done I think regardless of where an individual is from, which generation they are and which langauge they speak, it's almost impossible to miss how successful and talented Amitabh is. He isn't called "Big B" for nothing., be it acting or hosting a tv show. I wont compare him with the Khans coz almost everyone of them are like minnows in front of him, you can verify it with the Trp's of the show that the khans anchor. Acting wise we all know that he is one of the first superstar of bolly though there were many others preceding him, but this man is still running strong. I dont really believe that the Khans would be really acting at the age of 70. Apart from his professional success he belongs to a very illustrious family but still has a very humble outlook towards common people. Such person deserves and commands respect from everyone and he gets it from everyone without asking for it. "Deserves" is a very strong word. People who are humble don't feel they deserve, or are entitled to be praised at every given moment; those who wish to be humble themselves don't attempt to praise their idol till the sun rises the next day. If your quotation for being a "very illustrious family but still has a very humble outlook towards common people" is enough to encourage and justify the actions- or extreme reverence- of the general population- I'd suggest the following individuals get just as much if not more admiration than Mr. Bachan himself: Nelson Mendela, Mother Theresa, heck even Bill Gates. 

There's something unique about the previous generation actors and that is that they dont really act like superstars in real life. This quality is absent in present generation self boasting successful stars.  My point is, at the end of the day, stars or not they are people- regardless of how much you loved this dialogue from that movie or that dance from another one: They are people, not Olympians from Olympus walking among us. They are ONE of us. 

Responses in Green ðŸ˜Š