Perfect Mistakes... Chapter 19 Update - Page 27

Posted: 11 years ago
You are just wonderful👏!!!! I loveddd this part plzz continue soon!!!!! just love u ava love ur writing👍🏼
beautiful as usual...
loved the way u depicted Ty's character in this update..he is indeed a gud n yes typical frnd ( who did'nt bother to make us laugh at somebody's funeral )..
nyways cont. soon n yes thnx 4 the pm
Originally posted by mamaian

Awee girl!
I found ur update emotional n cute at the same tyme
u managd to show each relation so beautifully i luvd the convo btw virat n Ty
n u didnt pm me i was waiting fr it! Next tyme plz do that
n hope u get well soon

Hey,
Your PM inbox is currently full, that's probably why you aren't getting any PM's. 
:) 
this chapter was awesome... totally loved it... i liked ty and virat bonding it was awesome and then doctors and virat scene was superb... waiting for next part...
Hey I know I said two or three chapters will be products of my illness but it's only two. I wrote A father's redemption instead. If you haven't read it, here's the link, check it out if you want. :)

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3281917 

||Chapter fifteen|| 

Fireworks 

Viren handed his still worried faced girlfriend the pretzel and kneeled in front of her. Cupping her face in his hands he spoke. "Miss FMji, what's worrying you now?" She pushed him slightly. "You promised not to call me that anymore." He kissed her nose, "Don't pretend you don't you like it." She smiled. "I think I need that plot today." "Why?" she mumbled with a mouthful of pretzel. He laughed wiping her lips, "Your smile is killing me slowly that's why." She rolled her eyes, "Tell me something I don't know." He let go of her face and put his hands on his hips. "Girls these days, so shameless, I mean in the beginning you used to blush a little, say thank you in a sweet, shy voice but now." He moved his hand up and down shaking his head disapprovingly. "It took you five years," she begun after gulping. "Four years and 8 months," he corrected. "Whatever, it took you four years and 8 months to say I Love you, the most blushing you wanted to get out of me you got. I need my blood to keep my vital organs going not to colour my cheeks every time you decide to be over dramatically romantic." He clapped slowly, "Gosh I think I've just fallen in love with you again. Viren like feisty Jeevika." He grabbed her pretzel and took a bite, "Viren also like this pretzel." "What's mine is yours right?" she said sarcastically looking at the pretzel. He finished eating it and nodded. "Right." He lay his head on her lap and smiled as her hands started to massage through his hair. "You're never going to stop doing this are you?" "Doing what?" "Getting free head massages from me. You have weird habits Viren." He snuggled closer, "Not just me, Champ also has the same habits, but weirder." "Champ?" He got up, "No one." "But you just said.." "J, just leave it okay," he said stricter than he anticipated. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.." She came up to him and hugged him. "It's okay, I don't hate you." 

They sat on the bed watching tv for the next two hours with her leaning backwards in to his chest and him laying his chin on her shoulder. He heard her sniffle. "J, it's just a dog, he's going to come back in the end." She elbowed his stomach, "Don't tell me what happens!" He sighed, "We've watched this movie like at least 30 times, you already know the ending." "I like being surprised," she snapped back. "I repeat, 30 times," he said slowly. She grabbed a pillow and hit him. After recovering from the blow he picked up the pillow behind him and returned the favour. Soon there was pillow fluff everywhere and they were giggling like school children still hitting each other continuously. A servant rushed in at the commotion. "Sir, is anything wrong." Viren looked at the servant and shook his head trying to contain his laughter. "I thought you wouldn't be here today," the servant continued. Viren dropped the pillow and brushed the fluff off his arms. "Why do you say that?" The servant looked at Jeevika then at him. "Today's the 17th of June sir," he lowered his voice, "You usually spend the day in Champs room." Viren stood still. Today was the 17th, how could he forget. "Viren?" he heard her call. "J, go to sleep, it's late." She looked confused, "It's only 11." "I know but try. I have something important to do, I'll see you in the morning okay." She nodded. He turned to the servant, "Get someone to clean this up," he said before leaving the room.

Jeevika watched him leave and turned to the servant. "Excuse me?" "Yes Ma'am." "Call me Jeevika." "Erm, yes Jeevika." She smiled, she hated authority. "I just wanted to know what's so special about the 17th." The servant stared at her, didn't anybody remember what today was? This is America for goodness sake. "Today's fathers day."

~~~

Two thin streams of tears slid silently down his cheeks. "Hey Champ, guess what?? It's fathers day today or as we like to call it, brothers day." He wiped his wet cheeks and surveyed the room he was in now. "I swear I didn't change your room one bit, it's still revoltingly messy as always. And don't worry, your signed baseball is still in its case; I'm staring at it now. Do you remember I gave you that when you were 12 and I think I was 15. I worked as a secret paperboy, piling up the cash in my money jar, waiting till I had enough to buy it for you." Viren smiled at the memory. "You were so upset that day because apparently it was unfair that I got you such an amazing gift and all you got me was a best bro keychain. I've never told you this, but till date that keychain has stood as my most precious gift yet. Do you know why? Because I know it took you ages to find and I know you spent a whole day finding a store to get it personalised. No matter what you say Champ, your gift was way better than mine." Viren took out the keychain he kept in his pocket and grazed his finger over the carvings. "Pops got so angry when he found out I held a job and as usual he blamed you. I was such an idiot, why didn't I tell him to shut up, why didn't I say it was my fault?" He hit the wall and winced at the harsh pain shaking his fist in an attempt to get rid of it. He slid down the wall and sat with his hands behind his head, still holding the keychain. "This is the fifth year Champ. I've been spending brothers day for five years in your room. I don't want any fancy gifts, I don't even want one of your famous handmade cards either. I just want you to come home." He placed his head on his knees feeling dejected and broken. "Please come home."

NY,
Viraat woke up to a different room than he was used to. He rubbed his eyes, sitting up. Oh wait, this was his room. His new hospital room. "We were just about to wake you." He looked to his left and found Ty tapping on his netbook. "Hey, were's Maanvi?" he asked still a bit groggy from his nap. "She met this good looking doctor and decided she would rather date him than you." Viraat faked a laugh, "Funny. Now answer the question." Ty got up and sat next to him. "Move up." "Why should I? Last time I checked I'm the patient here." Ty pushed him, "I'm stronger." He moved up, giving Ty some space. "Yh, virtually. In real life you have the strength of a peanut." "Now now child, you shouldn't go angryifying the guy who holds your girlfriends whereabouts." Viraat couldn't believe how the person sitting next to him passed his entrance exams in NYU, actually scratch that, how the hell did he even manage to pass 5th grade? "First of all, angryifying isn't a word and secondly, you sound like a 55 year old stalker who lives in a run down apartment in downtown Manhattan." Ty winked, "You never know." Viraat made a disgusted face, "Before this gets any grosser than it already is, will your brainless highness like to be ever so kind to tell me where my girlfriend is?" 

Just as Ty opened his mouth to answer Maanvi and Athena walked in along with a couple of nurses. "Hey doc," he greeted. Athena smiled, "You're awake, good. I have a surprise for you." She let out her balled first in front him. "What is it?" he asked. She opened it up to reveal two silver sachets. "Chemo pills. I'm going to lie to you and say they taste like candy and you're going to get all excited and take them." He took the pills and smirked. "Candy, no way," he said enthusiastically swallowing the pills. "Right time to get serious. You're liquid drugs have been made and we're going to attach them to your lumens now. As promised, you won't feel a thing." He smiled and watched Kayla and two other nurses set up drips and transfer tubes to his arm, attaching them to Pierre and Ponzo. "How long will he have to be on this?" Maanvi asked. "The Vinc is for an hour, then he'll be off it for two hours. At midnight, Kayla will come and attach Cosco to his lumens which he'll have to stay on for 24 hours. After that we'll take a blood test and if everything's well, we will continue accordingly to schedule." 

Viraat looked at Maanvi who was nodding in thought. He wondered what would have happened if she wasn't here. He would probably be alone in this room, not understanding a word they were saying, already feeling dead. It was selfish of him to feel thankful, but he knew if she wasn't here, then he wouldn't have any reason to fight. But what was he giving her in return? 

She turned to look at him, safely hiding her increasing anxiety behind the brave armour she wore. "How you feeling?" He smiled, "Not cancerous, that's for sure." 

#Three weeks later#

She watched Viraat smile and run. She wanted to tell him to stop, tell him he'll just hurt himself but she didn't have the heart to do so, instead she ran alongside him. "Maanvi, I just love this place," he said stopping to face her. She nodded, she loved this place to. The beautiful blue skies, the calm, soothing breeze and the huge green meadow which seemed to expand endlessly. "Viraat, I love it here too, but it's getting late," she said taking a step towards him. He stepped back, "But I don't want to leave." She tried to touch him but he moved away, "Maanvi, I like it here, it's painless. No tablets, no drugs, no being medicated for 24 hours." She started crying now, why was she crying? "Viraat, we have to back." He shook his head, "I don't want to." Why was she asking him to leave, this place was heavenly, even she wanted to stay. "Viraat, please, I love you," she whispered. "No!" he started running again. She tried to run after him but he was faster. She was losing sight of him, "Viraat!" She would scream his name but he wouldn't stop. The harder she ran, the further he got. The skies started to darken and the grass turned in to concrete. Where there was once roses, now lay thorns, pricking her skin. Red rashes started to form in patches, the thorns slowly turned in to vines, making it difficult for her to get closer to him. Something sharp dug deep in to her foot and she looked down to see tiny pieces of scattered glass. Blood flowed out of her foot making her want to shriek in pain. She looked up again, but he wasn't there. The pain of not seeing him overtook her previous pain, and every feeling numbed except one. "Viraat!" She tried to move but the vines with thorns wrapped themselves around her legs, trapping her body in to one spot. Suddenly she saw him. He was in that meadow again and she was stuck, unable to reach him. He was smiling in her direction, walking away from her, about to disappear again, "Stop!" She called out, but her voice came out raspy and quiet. The sharp vines were reaching up to her neck now, ready to engulf her fully in to its cocoon. She tried to fight against it, tried harder to yell louder, she even let out her arm to reach him, but it was futile, he was gone and she sank deeper in to the thorns.

~~~

Maanvi woke up sweating and gasping. This was the third time she woke up in this state. She reached out for his car keys and got out of his bed. Not bothering to change out of the giant Garfield t-shirt which belonged to him and her three quarter sweatpants, she ran down the stairs and exited the house. 

'He's not responding', 'Try something new', 'CNS therapy could help', Stronger chemo might be required'. 

This was what she's been hearing ever since the treatment begun. Not, 

'He's getting better', 'He's responding more quickly than we thought', 'He will be out of here in no time'. 

She wanted to scream at them, force them to erase every cancer cell in his body but that's not how it worked. How it worked was like this. She would watch them pump more drugs in to his body via Ponzo, or Pierre, or sometimes both. She would watch them inject more of that colourless liquid which was meant to save his life in to his spine, not once, not twice but three freakin times. She would watch the colour slowly drain out of his face, the bruises appear in different sections of his body, as if it was a blank canvas ready to be ruined by dark, red blotches. She would stand there, rubbing his back as he threw up blood whenever he ate. She would come in during the mornings to find deeper, shiner bags under his eyes, and she would leave in the night knowing he only slept due to the exhaustion of the drugs and not of solace. She hated herself for being healthy when he was slowly falling apart. She hated how he never complained, how he smiled through the pain clearly visible on his skin, just to keep her happy. She hated the moments when he would tell her to leave. When he'll cup her face, kiss her forehead and ask her to leave him. But the thing she hated the most, which none of her past hatred even stood remotely next to was the growing resentment she had against this six letter word, rhyming with lancer. "I swear if you and I ever come face to face, I'll f**king murder you," she said vigorously increasing the accelerator to a dangerous 70mph. (Luckily it was early Sunday morning)

~~~

Viraat looked at the email on the screen of his iPad. A new sadness overwhelmed him. He pressed the reply icon and watched the line flash in front of him waiting for him to write something back. He looked at the date, it was the 8th of July; he's been in hospital for a whole three weeks now. He reread the email and this time he thought of Maanvi. This was another reason he should let her go, but every time he brought the subject up, she'll do something spectacularly wonderful that he'd end up loving her more.Take a couple of days ago for example. 

Flashback 
The day before his second CNS therapy* she took him up to the roof to see the fourth of July fireworks. Luckily enough, that was the last day of his rest period which meant he was free of drugs. With the help of Ty, she managed to place some pillows and a picnic blanket along with some candles on the ground. The weather was warm enough so she convinced Athena to let him up there for an hour. For that one hour they both forgot about everything and entered a world of their own. A world which included a lot of cuddles and soft kisses while watching sparks of a thousand colours explode across the night sky. They talked about their childhood, the good memories not the bad. He would treasure her laughter and the way she ran her hands through his hair or when her lips grazed his. He remembered her resting her chin on his chest looking up at him, he was about to tell her to leave again, this time he had a pre made speech ready but she spoke first. "Why don't you want lab kids?" she asked. He raised his eyebrow at this sudden question but she urged him to answer claiming it was important. He told her he didn't want to burden someone to have kids unnaturally when it was his fault and not theirs. "How many kids do you want to have?" was her next question. He answered 2. "Gender?" He replied a boy and a girl. She entwined her fingers in his and smiled. "I never ever had answers for these questions. I cringed at the thought of families, it scared me." She circled her arms behind his back and turned her face so her cheek rested on his chest. "But now I have the answers." He asked her what they were. She replied, "The same as yours." And like that, his speech was forgotten and he hugged her back. A sound erupted above them causing her to hug him closer. "Fireworks," he mumbled nuzzling his face in to her neck. "What about fireworks?" "Another reason to live," he replied.

Present
He knew he wasn't getting any better, in fact the 18 year old next door to him had come in two days after he had and he was already on his way to killing more of his bas***ds than Viraat. He closed the cover of his iPad with out replying and taking hold of his drip on wheels he walked out of the room. He was admitted in to the paediatric ward since it was unusual for 22 year olds to get Leukaemia, so a lot of his friends were kids. Taking a seat in one of the armchairs in the rec room he watched the kids do their usual activities. It was late, but one side effect of cancer was insomnia. Most slept during the day when they were given their chemo which led to a lot of hustle during the night. Joel, a thirteen year old boy suffering from lung cancer sat down on the armchair next to him, lugging an oxygen cart behind him. A cannula, (a transparent tube) was attached to his nostrils which traveled down his arm to the cart supplying him with oxygen since his lungs were crap at being lungs. 

"Hey kiddo," Viraat greeted watching him sit down. "Guess what?" Joel said with fake enthusiasm. Viraat already knew what was coming next, but he played along. "What shall I be guessing?" The teenager fiddled with his tank so Viraat helped him pick it up and place it on the table. They both stayed silent, taking a minute to regain the breath lost at this very physically demanding job. "I'm bald now," Joel answered. He smiled, "Really, I didn't notice." This earned him the legendary teenage eye roll. "Okay, I did notice," he amended. "It's not fair, hot girls don't like cancer guys, especially bald ones." Joel complained. "Aw, I'm sure you can settle for less." "Viraaat!" He laughed, "Okay, bad joke. But listen, one day you'll meet a girl, who is probably not the hottest chick in the room, but the fact that she loves you because you're you will make her 100 times more special than anything you could've ever hoped for. She'll become every hot chick you ever wanted to date but better because you know that she was only made to only love you." Maanvi's face flashed in his mind, and again came the rush of guilt.

"Who's talking about love? I just want a hot girlfriend." Viraat forgot he was talking to a thirteen year old boy who clearly did not grasp the concept of love just yet. He smiled, the kid had a long way to go. "Anyway, when did you lose your hair then?" Joel answered yesterday during the night. "It just all went. I go to sleep with hair and I wake up with none." 

Viraat nodded then changed the topic to sport. Deep inside though, all he could think about was his hair. He wasn't a vain person, but he had this strange attachment to his hair. In all honestly, all guys secretly loved their hair, weather they admitted to it or not. Viraat didn't really take special care of his hair. He used regular shampoo and conditioner, he didn't bother to comb it on regular days, and most of the time he would leave the house with bed hair. Yet it felt abnormal to even think about not having this mesh of messiness on top of his head. His chemo drugs were much more intense than Joel's which meant that any day now he would also wake up to no hair. He ran his hand down his hair, slower than usual, trying to memorise its touch. This just added to his overwhelming sadness. He sighed. Depression - another side effect of cancer. 

~~~

Maanvi locked the doors and entered through entrance D at St James' hospital. She ran up two flights towards his ward and slid down her pass through the mechanical doors. She was given a 24 hour pass allowing her full access to meet Viraat. Others such as Ty, needed visiting permission first before entering. Walking down the curved corridor and taking a left near the toilets she stood outside his door. Room 307. Taking hold of the handle she pushed open the door to see an empty room. "No," she whispered. "You can't have gone." A part of her knew he was still in the hospital but another part her was still living her nightmare. She couldn't push out the feelings of thorns strangling her, keeping her from reaching him. Sub consciously her hands reached for her neck fighting off the thorns which only existed in her mind. "Maanvi?" She released her neck at the sound of his voice and came back to reality. Turning to face him, she started to cry softly. "I need a hug." She watched as he dragged his drip on wheels and wrap his arms around her. She sobbed silently. "Promise you won't leave me." He stroked her hair, "I can't promise that." She gripped on to his t-shirt, "Lie." He held her closer, "I promise I won't ever leave you." Her tears didn't stop, she didn't feel any better.

Boston,
Jeevika still couldn't believe that Viren had a brother. Maybe she wasnt bonkers, maybe this brother was who she thought it was.

It begun four days ago. She was thrilled to be spending the fourth of July in a yacht, The Vadheras yacht, the water fireworks, the music, the food (okay, not the food) but everything about that night was amazing. Except two things. The first wasn't at all surprising. She tried calling Maanvi again but as usual the lady with the annoying voice was always waiting at the receiving end. The few blissful calls she had managed to achieve in those three weeks only lasted a couple of minutes and when she asked about Viraat, this was the reply she got. 'He's normal, healthy and normal. Okay gotta go now.' Or when she asked about what happened the day she left, well this was what she said. 'Meh, nothing special. He said he felt the same way and then we had sandwiches.' Jeevika knew her sister wasn't at all romantic but she expected more from Viraat. Okay not a dramatic confession or a musical montage on the streets of New York, but a sandwich? 

The next thing that went wrong that night was the argument. An argument that changed everything.

Rewind,
During her stay at the Vadhera's she noticed a lurking coldness in the air every time the whole family came together. Actually, the coldness seemed to be ever present in the mansion; it was as if the warmth had been snatched away. The first few days of her stay she didn't really interact with any of Viren's family members except the small meeting with his mom and his Pops. Considering they didn't eat as a family, she didn't have any ideas on how to approach them, and Viren was absolutely no help. He didn't seem too thrilled about her wanting to know about his family. Actually, there was one person he didn't mind her talking to and that was his mom. His kind, sweet, loving mother. She was everything Jeevika wanted in a mother, if not more. But she was rarely free. Handling court cases and a home was pretty tough for the busy woman and Jeevika didn't want to go pestering her for a chat. 

It was day 7 in the Vadhera household and she decided that she had enough. Jeevika was a people's person, it was a miracle that she managed to stay a week having only two people to speak to. Her boyfriend who always found new ways to annoy her and Tom the servant, who was more interested in serving her tea and cleaning than chatting. It was early morning and she quickly showered and left her room. Walking down the corridor she looked out one of the large windows and noticed a figure out on the gardens. Speeding her pace she made her way down staircase three and through one of the pathways leading her outdoors. The figure smiled as she took a seat opposite. "Good morning dear. What are you doing up so early?" She smiled, "Good morning Pops. May I ask you the same?" The grey haired man chuckled folding his newspaper before replying. "I like the morning air, it gives me a sense of relief. I think it's just another indicator that I'm getting old." She gasped, "Old, and you? I refuse to accept anything so absurd. Honestly speaking, you're too young to be Viren's grandad, he's not adopted is he?" He poured her a cup of tea. "You're such a sweet child. And no, Viren is definitely a Vadhera." She sipped her tea, "Hm, really? He doesn't seem like one.." she said without thinking. "I meant, he's personality and." Pops waved it off as nothing and she sighed in relief. "So Jeevika, do you like reading?" She nodded and he led her to his grand library. The round room was entirely filled with books with a glass dome for a roof, letting in beams of sunlight. A large portrait hung above a stone fireplace. She knew who it was, this exact picture was used in his Wikipedia profile. "That's your father, isn't it?" He nodded, pride masked his face.

She made a new friend. Every morning she would wake early and sit with Pops drinking tea. Sometimes he would take her to the gardens, sometimes he would take her to the library, or sometimes they would just sit. Viren wasn't very pleased when she told him about this. "Why bother?" he would ask. She looked at him in disbelief. "He's an old man and more importantly he's your grandfather Viren, I don't think a reason is required to spend time with him. And frankly speaking, I like his company. I don't understand, if you didn't want me spending time with your family then why bring me here? Why Viren?" He didn't reply again leaving her without answers. "Look, I won't ask you anymore questions but please don't tell me to act coldly with your Pops, I don't have that kind of strength." He accepted and she could tell it was out of reluctance, but she took what she got.

Now she was friends with Pops and at the same time she was Viren's girlfriend. 
So what happens when an argument arouses between them? 
Answer- Fourth of July fireworks. 

"Sometimes our light goes out, but is blown again into instant flame by an encounter with another human being." 
 - Albert Schweitzer

* CNS therapy: It's basically the lumbar procedure, (similar to the biopsy) with chemo drugs injected in to your spine. It's given to keep leukaemia cells out of the brain and the area surrounding it. I made up the cancer drugs, unless they actually exist and I didn't know about it 0_o

Thanks for read, commenting and liking.
 - Ava :)

P.s if you aren't getting PM's it could be because your p.m inbox is full, maybe :)

Edited by SmileXD - 11 years ago
First one to commment. Seem like an honor. I seriously loved it and all of your other work. Never stop writing cause i'll always be ready to read it.
Love, Marissa

woww awesome dear... so virat fighting cancer and maanvi's fear is all so naturally... loved the virika bit too... waiting for next part... 
Wonderful update... It's really painful to see them suffer like this... But I loved the fact that it is so close to reality...
Love this story...
Thank you 😊
oh god
i dont know how should i feel ??
the feelings and the emotions from them are so real, cant get enough to read...
oh wish only to see that virat gets better, and when will jeevika comt to know that manvi is hidding something from her, i mean she should worry a little bit more :-(
continue soon pleasee..cant wait for the reunion of the brothers

thanks for pm
Beautifully wriuen again!
I m really feeling bad fr virman thru what they r going its so close to reality whch i like very much