Perfect Mistakes... Chapter 19 Update - Page 6

Posted: 11 years ago
res
*edited*
Yaayyy i'm earlyy!! 😃
Aweesomee updatee!!! I am IN love with ur FF!!!
Damn it's awesomeee!!!
Pleeeaseee continuee soon!!!
Thanks for the PM!!
😊
Edited by forever_young - 11 years ago
I am completely in love with your story...
I must confess, that I was so ridiculously excited to read some more, that I looked up your story on myeduniya.com. 😳
I am in awe. You really know how to spin a delightful tale. And you have a wonderful way with your words. I love the character development and the fresh feel you give to our beloved Sherni and Chep.
My final compliment (for now) is to tell you that I am still eagerly awaiting your posts on india-forums so that I can read it all again.
Thank you for an entertaining read! 👏
Please continue soon, and PM me when you update!
sweet they are friends now, oh no currently  they are partners , but i hope it turns in some other relation, continoue soon and pm me pleaseee... 
bombard away - this is an amazing piece of work.  As i have mentioned to couple of others - there is an immense amount of talent in this forum

thank you
WOW amazing update I just love the way you write it is so brilliantly written that the whole story just keeps flowing in one big para.  I love the way virat and maanvi come alive on the page, it's like you are reading a chapter from a book without any breaks?

I love how they have become partners, love it that maanvi got to drive virat's car, I don't think he knew what was coming.

You are truely a remarkable writer, I take my hat off to you.

Thanks for the pm, please continue because I would love to read some more.

awesome update dear
Update soon
Reading again... Loving it... ❤️

||Chapter four||    

Touche

"Okay, we're here," Viraat announced as he watched Miss Sherni stare thoughtfully at his house. "Chep, you live here?" He didn't know why she sounded amazed. Perhaps she saw something special in his four storey townhouse in the Upper East of Manhattan, with the massive windows and a huge double door. Perhaps she found magic in the white bricks and the black balcony railings which masked and made the exterior of his house. Or perhaps she simply saw a home. What she and others may see as his home, Viraat just saw it as a building with rooms, nothing amazing there. 

He went up the steps and after fiddling with a set of keys, he opened one of the doors. He turned back to Miss Sherni who was still stationed at the bottom of the stairs, "Having second thoughts about your Taekwondo skills?" She scoffed, "Yeah right," she pushed past him entering his building with rooms.

This was too much for her. Cheps getting in to Juilliard, she accepted. Cheps driving $81,000 customised cars, she somehow also managed to accept that too. BUT, this was the final straw. No way could Cheps afford to live in four storey houses in, "Where are we?" she asked realising she had no clue where they were. "New York," the Chep replied. She sighed, "I got that part, I meant where exactly in New York." "Oooh, we're in the Upper East Side of Manhattan." Of course, why not, if Chep's are allowed to do some many things, then living in one of the most expensive parts of New York shouldn't be so shocking to her. 

The first thing she noticed when she entered his home was the spiral staircase with black metal railings and cream steps positioned at the left of the foyer. It spiralled up all four stories, and looking up made her feel as if she was a tiny dust bunny, lost in a huge labyrinth.
Beneath the staircase was a small hallway and inside it she could see three double glass doors quite far apart from each other, yet somehow synched together in the curved shape of the wall. To her right passing the huge windows was a slightly larger version of the glass door, behind it was probably the drawing room. Opposite it and to her left near the foot of the staircase was another room with the doors wide open. Inside, she could see a large, white, wooden table adorned with pastel green runners and chocolate coloured woven place mats. Long yellow and white silk material draped the tall windows, creating a soothing effect which instantly made her feel relaxed. She felt intrigued to explore his whole house, inspect every corner and every bend. She felt like a greedy pirate in search for treasure. Except in her case, she had no idea what she exactly wanted to find. She would've started searching immediately if she wasn't stopped by a certain Chep. "You can see the house later, first we cook." he said as he pushed her towards one of the double glass doors, in the hallway under the stairs. 

~~~

"What is it we have to do again?" Miss Sherni asked sitting on the island counter eating an apple. Viraat looked at her and explained that they both had to cook something which represented their culture. "So basically Indian food," he nodded in response. He quickly grabbed two aprons and passed one to her. He also passed her a chef hat which initially she refused to wear but after some serious grovelling he managed to convince her to put it on. "It has magical powers, trust me", she rolled her eyes, "Yeah, well I don't trust you". He gave her a knowing look saying she will soon. 

According to the task rules, both of them had to prepare one savoury dish and one sweet dish together. So they both decided on veg biryani and Kheer. Actually, he decided the dishes while she just nodded in agreement. He also took out all the necessary equipment and ingredients. This was surprising; the Sherni who never failed to make a comment was standing silent. He was sure she would be bossing him about or ordering him to make another dish. He studied her face, it seemed lost, almost confused. And then it hit him, why didn't he realise it before. "Oh my gosh, you can't cook can you?!" he exclaimed. "I can cook," she argued back. "Sure you can," "Chep, are you doubting me, I told you I can too cook, I'm definitely a better cook than you." He crossed his arms over his chest, "Fine, if you're such a good cook, then you make the biryani." 

What was she doing, she didn't know how to cook. She nearly burned down the kitchen last time she attempted to test her fine culinary skills. The fire department hated her. But the stupid Chep challenged her, she couldn't back down, she would never hear the end of it. "Pass the rice, Chep." How hard could it be?

Half an hour later, and covered in spices, vegetable peelings and oil, Maanvi still had no idea how to start. "You won't let the Chep win, not this time. Come on Maanvi, you can do this," she encouraged herself. She knew the Biryani included veg, so she cut up every vegetable in front her and chucked them in to the frying pan all at once. The next step was to cook the rice, and that's exactly what she did. Easy. After adding some random spices to the veg she was content. 

It didn't last long; soon she was coughing from the smoke and the smell. The vegetables were burnt. She checked on the rice but had somehow managed to flop that too as when she tried to stir the rice, it wouldn't budge. It was stuck to the stupid pan. "Screw you!" she screamed in frustration and threw a spoon on the floor. She was on the verge of giving up when an idea popped up in her head. "Help me!!" she begged to the person on the other end. "Please don't tell me you're lost in Chinatown again," Maanvi groaned, "Worse, how the hell do you cook veg biryani?" 

Viraat was playing on his PS3, he heard the crash from the kitchen but chose to ignore it. He knew the Sherni wouldn't be able to handle the heat. 

15 minutes later he heard her call him and he prepared for the worst. He burst out laughing the second he entered the kitchen. "Whaat?!" she commanded. "Look at the state of you. Spices are used in cooking not as body powder," he said, laughing between words. She chucked a tablespoon at him, which he just managed to dodge. "Next time, you won't be so lucky," he heard her mutter. He surveyed his kitchen, it was a complete mess. Oil on the floor, spices scattered on the counter, ingredients in the sink. "What did you do to my kitchen?!" She told him to shut up and made him sit down on one of the island seats. "Biryani is served," she said proudly placing a plate in front of him. "You made this?" he asked studying the plate, it looked good. "No, I called the ninjas at the local Chinese restaurant and asked them to send me some Indian biryani." Again with the sarcasm. He took a spoonful of rice and popped it in his mouth. It tasted disgusting, he was about to spit it out but one look at her hopeful face, and he stopped himself. He couldn't do this to her, no matter how rude, mean and arrogant she was, he couldn't hurt her feelings. So he reluctantly swallowed, he'd make a new batch once she had gone. 

Even with help, her biryani still tasted awful, but at least it looked decent. She called the Chep to tell him the truth, but when he started laughing at her she had second thoughts. Why not feed him the disgusting biryani instead and teach him a lesson. She watched hopefully as he took a bite and waited for him to react to the revolting taste. But nothing happened. He ate it. This was the same biryani right, her biryani. 

"How is it?" He smiled at her indicating it tasted good. "You're lying." "No, why would.." "I already know it tastes horrible, that's why I served it to you." He looked momentarily hurt, "Oh, well in that case, excuse me," she was about to stop him but he ran out of the kitchen towards the bathroom. She heard the retching noises and instantly felt ashamed. She was a horrible person. The Chep ate her disgusting food and lied to keep her happy and what had she done, most probably damage his digestive system. She sat down on his seat taking off the chef hat. "If only you really had magical powers."

~~~

Maanvi was standing outside the bathroom at the end of the hallway. She could hear sounds of vomiting behind the door. She wanted to say something but every time she opened her mouth she had no idea what to say. A strange sensation churned in her stomach. What was that, no it can't be, why would she? But then what other reason could there be. "Oh my god, I'm actually feeling guilty. But I've never felt guilty before, not even when I nearly burnt off that loser's tongue back home, and he ended up in the emergency room. The Chep isn't anything special that I would feel guilty for him. Nope it isn't guilt, just a tummy ache, that's all". 

She raised her hands, ready to knock on the door, she'd have to say something, anything to get the feeling in her stomach to disappear, but before her fist could reach the door, it flung open and out came a green looking Chep. "Sherni, is everything okay?" he croaked. "Shouldn't I be the one asking you that?" Before he could respond, she watched him run back to the toilet and throw up. "OMYGOSH CHEP! It's all my fault!" Not what she expected to say but he looked so sick it just came out of her mouth. And apparently it didn't stop there. Without thinking, she was about to apologise as well, but he just waved her of before she could even utter the words, 'I'm sorry". "Please, don't apologise." What?? Here she was ABOUT to apologise but he didn't even have the decency to accept it and forgive her!! If she was going to apologise then he'd damn well have to forgive her. After all, he should be grateful that she ALMOST said sorry to him.

"Look Chep, if I want to say sor.." But he wasn't any less obstinate, "Please don't. I don't want any more burdens on me when I.." he turned his head to the toilet and made some more hurtful noises. "What did he mean, when he what.." she wondered at his incomplete sentence, her wanting to apologise suddenly forgotten. 

When he finally thought that there was no longer anything but his organs left to throw up, Viraat, turned around, but had no strength to get up so he stayed sat on the floor. He looked up at her sitting on the chair near the bathtub, what was she still doing here? "Chep, finally! You've been vomiting for five minutes straight," she sounded panicky, was the Sherni actually worried, for him?! "Here drink some water." He accepted the bottle of water and took a sip. "Erm, what did you mean earlier, you know about taking no more burdens?" She wasted no time. He played with the bottle cap, "You know for a girl who doesn't like guys, you seem to be pretty interested to get to know me." She chucked a towel at him, "You're avoiding the question". He sighed, "Why do you want to know anyway, we're not even friends."

Why did she want to know? He was right she did dislike guys, so what was she doing sitting here itching to find out what he was hiding. "True. But we're partners right?" She didn't want to give up yet. "If that's the case, then why don't you tell me why you hate guys so much?" he was good. "Touche."

~~~

They both returned to the kitchen. It was dirty and disgusting. Unable to fight the urge, she started to pick up plates and wipe the surfaces. "What are you doing?" a very confused Chep asked her. He was leaning against the doorframe, he didn't look any better. Again she felt that that strange sensation in her stomach. She continued cleaning while she answered, "I can't stand mess, so I'm cleaning." She watched him slowly make his way to a chair and sit down, "You don't have too." He was taking some aspirin. "I know", she replied back, but didn't stop cleaning. 

Soon she had the kitchen sparkling; one could never tell that she'd been cooking here 15 minutes ago. Satisfied with her work, she put the final utensils in to the dishwasher and sat opposite the Chep. "How are you feeling?" she asked softly. "Better." 

Viraat, watched her clean. She was good, really good. His kitchen had never looked so spotless. When she finished and sat down, he wanted to compliment her but what would he say. 'Wow you're an awesome cleaner!' That sounded more like an insult than a compliment. Instead he decided to get to know her better.

"Tell me something about yourself". "Why?" He used her partners reason from before. "Couldn't you come up with an original answer instead of taking mine?" He shook his head in denial. She sighed, "What am I meant to say?" "Anything. I refuse to believe you're a boring person." She leaned forward, her arms sliding over the shiny island counter, "and what if I am." He clicked his tongue, "Impossible, you're too Sherni to be boring." She laughed, "I hate mess". "I can see that." "I don't like popcorn." "I still can't get over the fact that someone could hate popcorn. And hang on; I already knew that, say something new."He noticed her inhale a deep breath, "You know that grey, faint line across the sky, right before the sun rises." He nodded. "Whenever I miss my mom, I wake up, just before sunrise and I go outside. I imagine my mom is waiting for me there, in the in between of dawn and dusk. But as soon as the Sun rises, the line fades away, and so does she." He wanted to say something, but one look at her face and he realised that she had deeply regretted letting him know. This was her secret.

What had she done?! She had once again revealed a truth about herself to the Chep. She'd only known him for two bloody days, and she'd already told him things that she promised to never speak about. How the hell does he manage to get her to say the wrong things? He was probably wondering what happened to her mother. She might as tell him that too, she had already revealed so much, why not one more. "My mother is dead," she said without looking up, she didn't need his pity. She waited for him to speak, say the traditional "I am sorry for your loss," crap, but he didn't. Instead, she heard him get up and go to the fridge. Moments later he came back putting two plates on the island. He pushed one towards her, "Don't tell me you don't like PB&J." She smiled, and just like before, he understood her without her having to explain. "Actually, it's my favourite," and she took a bite. 

~~~

Viraat looked at the clock, it was already past six. They spent that last two hours sharing random facts about themselves to each other. Not once did she talk about her mother and not once did he ask. In fact the facts they shared with each other consisted of silly moments and weird likes, nothing too deep or meaningful at all. It worked better like that.
 "Sherni, you need to get back to your hotel." She took out her iPhone and checked the time, "Shit!" "I'll drop you off on one condition," she looked confused. He grabbed his jacket and keys, "I'm driving."

He felt good to be back behind the wheel, his wheel. They were stuck in traffic, not surprising, and the Sherni was going through his glove compartment. "Lost something?" he asked sarcastically. "Do you have any wipes?" He pointed towards the left, and she found it. "What's this?" He turned to face her, she was holding a book. "It's a book." "I know it's a book!" "If you know what it is, then why ask in the first place??" She groaned in anger, "Listen Chep, I'm not bothered to argue now. By the way, I didn't know Chep's could read." "You know I go to university right?" "Anyone can get in to College, if you have the money," she answered back. He smiled, "I'm a Scholarship student". She was shocked, "B,b,but you drive THIS!!" She indicated his baby, "and you live in the Upper East". He shrugged, "Doesn't make me rich. You know what, you should read this book, the Protagonist is somewhat like you." "Meaning?" He grabbed the book from her, "she's also judgemental."

She couldn't help thinking he paid for school, come on who wouldn't, the Chep lived a pretty luxurious life. But yet again, she had judged him, but in all fairness, Maanvi had her reasons. 

"What instrument do you play then?" She needed to lighten the mood. "Everything". She rolled her eyes, so he justified. "No I'm serious. Everyone can play anything. There are no set rules in music. It's everything and everywhere. So in that sense, I can play everything." He said every word with so much passion that she felt music was not something he studied but it was something he lived. "However, if you're asking what instrument I study in Juilliard, it's the piano." So he was a pianist. "You'd have to be pretty good to be doing your Masters already. I mean don't you usually have to apply until you've completed your bachelors?" "I guess. But sometimes they let some students enter the program early." She nodded, "So, are you any good?" He smiled, "For some people yes, and for others no." Another diplomatic answer, couldn't he just simply say yes or no. "You're not so bad yourself Sherni, pre-entry and all." How did he know?? He seemed to have read her face as he answered, "How many 20 year olds do you know who are already undergraduates and in their last year of law?" He had a point there. 

~~~

They arrived at her hotel; she got off and also took his book with her. She was almost at the entrance when she heard him call her. "What is it Chep?" He stuck his head out of the window, "What's your number?" She smiled, "Don't worry; I'll text you it?" He looked puzzled, "but I didn't give you mine." "So the row of numerical values I'm going to see the second I open the book isn't yours?" she faked a gasp. He gave a lopsided smile and ran his hand through his hair. "I shall be waiting for your text," she heard him say as she walked back. "Patience Chep, you don't won't to sound too desperate," she shouted back before entering the hotel. 

"Without music, life would be a mistake." 
-  Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols

Thanks for reading :)
Ava
Edited by SmileXD - 11 years ago
Thank you for the PM! Enjoyed it as immensely as I was expecting to. Your update brightened up my, otherwise awful, morning! 😃
awesome update dear... Update Soon