Debate Mansion

A good debate question - Page 5

Posted: 11 years ago
I actually disagree that a good debatable question, should either be a yes or no.  For me anything can be debated, and debate is something that has no universal right, or wrong answer. The views formed by debaters is often shaped by their own perception of seeing things and can be affected by their upbringing, religion, education and culture. For examples, the debates on rape. For me it is bizarre to even think that any rape can be justified, however you do have some debaters blaming the victims for the misfortune. I can only debate with anyone with the opposition views, but i can't force them to believe that my views are a universal fact (Unless, i am making a statement based on facts). 

Anyways, what i hate in any debate topic, is when people start becoming personal and start attacking you, just because you have something else to say. Any use of personal attack, and abuse is something that i detest. I like classy debaters, who can present their opposite views to me in a sensible manner. I may not agree with them, but i can at least respect their debating skills.

Good topic Arti!. I am as usual, on forums when i have a shit lot of work to do . ðŸ˜†

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
If the debate question could be answered objectively, in terms of verifiable facts and figures, then there is not much to debate there.  If the answer to the debate question is subjective, laced with personal opinions and interpretations, I don't see much point to debating. You could exhort, you could plead, you could intimidate, and none of that rhetoric will turn fiction to fact or fact to fiction. If you are only interested in pitting the logical consistency of one argument against another, then too it would degenerate into a word play, sans verifiable facts. Why do you think most debates all across the world in legislative assemblies and parliaments turn into verbal/fist fights? Because, they cannot reach a consensus. And the reason they can't reach a consensus is because they are short on facts and long on rhetoric.
--arti-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Some of the chit chat in debate threads I don't mind, because it's easy to skip all of that if you want and get to the meatier posts.

But it is hard on my eyes and ends up kind of irritating me when people quote long posts. Especially when there is a quote within a quote. And the use of different colours. Angie - you do this a lot! Not trying to single you out, but that shade of blue isn't easy to read when there are several lines of text. I like reading your posts, just wish it was not in bright colours.

Especially chit chat comments, I really wish wouldn't do the quoting. It just makes the thread unwieldy as you scroll down blocks and blocks of multicolour text.

That's just me. Nowhere else to post this, so I picked this thread.
_Angie_ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
^^  Some Reasons that I could think of why people use nestled quotes- 

1-     Saves them the trouble to edit  the earlier quotes

2-     The earlier quote may be necessary to convey the right context to the reply

Coming to the reasons for using different colored fonts-

Ease of differentiating the replies and the original post, especially while addressing several parts of a long post

Blue color gets used most commonly because it is thought to be less strenuous on the eye at the same time maintaining contrast between the reply and the quote making it easy to distinguish the two.

From my observation the preference for the colors in a descending order range from black, blue, red , pink followed by others

Italics or larger /bold fonts in same (black) color could be used but while accessing a long post it can create some confusion  since the original post may contain words in italics or bold.

It gets more difficult when we have a rainbow of colors used to reply to earlier replies in a different color. I however feel that it is better to quote those portions separately instead of using multiple colors one after the other in the same quote to reply, then reply the reply and so on'as one can easily lose track of the chronology of colors being used.

Using separate quotes while replying should be the better thing to do in the first place but it gets tedious to put the  parts of a long post into several separate quotes, moreover at times the quoting mechanism on IF acts quite funny!

As for chatting on the threads a few occasional chats and straying from the topic is acceptable but I agree that  it should be kept to a minimum.

Arti, I appreciate your bringing up the issue of multiple nestled quotes and the different colored fonts . Let us see what other members have to share about it.
Edited by _Angie_ - 11 years ago