Screenindia- Breaking stereotypes

Armu4eva thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I have evolved as an actor, doing more serious roles. I hope my audiences and my fans have matured too and give me the same love which they gave earlier

— Karan Singh Grover

For the first time, Zee TV will be exploring a show that is set in a Musilm backdrop. With this, the channel aims to break stereotypes surrounding the community. Says Sukesh Motwani, Fiction Head, Zee TV, "Qubool Hai is not a television version of My Name Is Khan. We are not touching upon politics. It is a very light show and revolves around three Muslim characters. That apart, this show will showcase an aspect of the Muslim community, which is diverse in nature, enriched with a rich literature, music and language. It will reveal the fine distinction between modernity and traditionalism through social drama."

Serious business

The show marks the return of Karan Singh Grover to fiction shows post his wedding to Jennifer Winget. Previously seen in youthful shows like Dill Mill Gayye and Dil Dosti Dance, Karan for the first time as Asad will be portraying a very serious role.

"In my earlier shows, the characters that I played were extremely lively, so getting in a very serious mode was an uphill task. I had to prepare a lot to play the role of Asad convincingly," says Karan. He further explains, "Along with facial expressions, I move my hands a lot while talking. For this role, I had to control my mannerisms. I was asked to be more stiff and talk with a straight face!"

Since Karan plays a Muslim character, Asad, the actor had to undergo language training to polish up on his Urdu diction to make the character look authentic.

As Dr. Armaan Mallik on Dill Mill... or Karan Malik in Dil Dosti..., Karan had garnered a huge female fan base and now with a new phase in his television career, he hopes to continue getting the same attention too. He says, "As an actor, I am undergoing a process of metamorphosis, getting out of my comfort zone and taking up roles that I don't even identify with. From doing lighter roles earlier, I am doing more serious ones and hope my audiences and my fans have matured too, and accept me and give me the same love which they gave me a couple of years ago."

Having taken a break from television in the recent past, the actor will be seen in the film Lorieopposite Diana Hayden. Produced by Sahara Motion Pictures, the film is a spooky, horror tale, directed by Pavan Kaul and will be released in the near future. Apart from the film, plans are on to host the new season of Nach Baliyealong with wife Jennifer.

Newbies on board

The show also stars fresh faces Rishabh Sinha as Ayan, who essays the role of Asad's younger brother and Surbhi Jyoti as Zoya who plays a modern US return girl and is both Ayan and Asad's love interest.

Though new to primetime shows, Surbhi previously worked for a daily soap, Kathdiyan Wangeon ETC Punjabi, and has also acted in a Punjabi film Raula Pai Gaya.

With this show, Rishabh will be exploring the daily soap genre for the first time. Earlier he was seen as a contestant on MTV Splitsvilla season 5. He says, "I had just gone with a model friend of mine to support him for Splitsvilla, unfortunately I got selected and he was rejected! Showbiz happened to me accidentally, but now I am completely enjoying it. I hope to do good TV show, and may be films."

Produced by Four Lions Production, Qubool Hai is set to go on air on October 29, Monday to Friday at 9.30pm on Zee TV.

Popular television shows with Muslim backdrop

Gul Gulshan Gulfaam: Starring Parikshit Sahni and Neena Gupta, it was one of the first serials to be based in Kashmir. Aired in 1991 on Doordarshan, the show portrayed a Kashmiri family making a living from their three houseboats and how their livelihood was threatened due to terrorism. The serial was mostly shot in Srinagar

Heena: Starring Simone Singh and Rakhee Tandon, this Sony Entertainment Television production which was telecast in 1998, had a successful five years run. The show revolved around the trials and tribulations of Heena, played by Simone Singh and her disturbed married life.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Jane.. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Mujhe pata tha tum sabse pehle 10-15 articles post karogi😎

I want this show to go on-air already. Regardless of what happens in the future, I know I can trust 4 lions to at least start it well😳

Thanks, Tanu🤗
Basilisk thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks Tanu!! 
Monday come already!! 😆😳
youth_showsfan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
eekkkss sounds interesting
btw their first choice n last choice fr Asads role is KSG eeekkksss
proofs he s so talented