~*Jeannie Aur Juju Article Archives-NO COMMENTS*~ - Page 2

Posted: 11 years ago

Colourful characters in Jeannie and Juju

Colourful characters in Jeannie and Juju

Summary: Harsh Khurana, Jhuma Mitra, Jiten Mukhi and Kurush Deboo speak on their roles in Jeannie Aur Juju

Jeannie Aur Juju premiered on SAB TVyesterday. Last week we uploaded snippets on Giaa Manek and Ali Asgar who play the Jeannie and Captain Vikram Khanna respectively. Here is what the side characters have to say about their roles:

Harsh Khurana plays Captain Virendra Lakhanpal (Vela): Vela is Captain Vicky's a colleague and best friend. However he is also slightly street smart. As per the script there is a healthy competition between the two friends- he sometimes succeeds and at times fails. I like this role as it has innocence and simplicity.

Jhuma Mitra plays Durga Chatur Ganguly:  She is like a Royal Bengal tigress in the sense that she  likes to dominate and take the upper hand on her husband. Her husband is a writer who gets influenced by real life characters. However, he has a bad habit of peeping into other peoples' houses. Durga's duty is not just taking care of the house but also managing her husband who is a peeping Tom. Mr and Mrs.Chatur are Captain Vicky's neighbours and when Vicky comes back from the plane crash we are very concerned about his health. Simultaneously  Mr.Chatur claims to see a woman there but Durga sees no woman. She feels her husband is making up stories and trying to womanize- which she feels is not done. Ultimately as the story goes on we will get to know about the existence of Jeannie. Despite being a Bengali I am still a hardcore Mumbaikar- so I had to work on having a Bengali accent in this show. Also I had to practice draping a saree in the Bengali way. It is always nice being close to your motherland and that is the closest I got.

Jiten Mukhi plays the boss: In this show I play the character of the boss who is supposed to be the parallel female lead Priya's dad too. This role is about a dynamic person who has always succeeded in life. Nevertheless he believes in the being pennywise and pound foolish. He keeps on doing cost cutting with his staff. He is a happy go lucky chap in life who knows about Vicky and Priya being in love with one another and always wishes that they get married. When Jeannie enters Vicky's life he becomes very suspicious about him being involved with some other girl.

Kurush Deboo who plays Dr.Cyrus Doctor: I play a psychiatrist paradoxically with obsessive compulsive disorder. Cyrus is simply obsessed over cases. He has a complete obsession to find the causes and what the symptoms are till he solves the problem. He is studying the cases 24 X 7. He also has the habit of peeping into others' business. He does so as he always conducts experiments with human behaviour. That is why he is peeping into others' business. However he is a very sweet person as he is the antagonist but not a villain. It is basically a conflict between magic and a science of psychiatry. He believes in psychiatric science instead of magic which leads him to believe that Vicky is suffering from some mental illness. In fact Vicky's case becomes his greatest obsession, in fact his addiction. Vicky in fact starts avoiding him. Nevertheless he is extremely caring of Captain Vicky. He wants to 'eradicate' Captain Vicky's 'mental problems'- however in the process he becomes a scapegoat and victim of Jeannie. 

Navina Bole who plays Priya: Priya is a rich man's spoilt daughter. She belongs to the South Mumbai kind of crowd. She wears Western wear as that is usually what spoilt rick kids wear- I think it's a stereotype which has stuck on in shows, so there is not much you can do about it. Maybe they wanted to give it a contrast to Giaa's character- she is in indo-western clothes. I am very jealous of Jeannie in the show. Priya is also a super possessive girlfriend who wants her way all the time. The jealousy is one of the moving factors in the show.

Comedy is something that I have always enjoyed doing. So even in Miley Jab Hum Tum, my character was on similar lines where I played Dia. In this show I am getting to pull off a character which has a lot of shades. At times she is really sweet and in love with Ali. Then she is screaming angrily.  She has a completely different equation with her father with whom she shares a soft and loving relationship.  

For more interesting updates on the show please visit india-forums.com.

Reporter and Author: Pallavi Bhattacharya

Review of Jeannie Aur Juju

Review of Jeannie Aur Juju

SAB TV is proving that it can do fantasy shows with finesse

After beautifully delving into the genre of kids' fantasy inBaal VeerSAB TV has effectively delved into fantasy fiction for grownups in Jeannie Aur Juju which is the Indian version of the highly popular American sitcom, I Dream of Jeannie.  What delights us about this show is that the creatives present what would have otherwise been in real life traumatic moments as exhilaratingly amusing moments. For instance in a normal fictional series how would you have expected a scene in which the plane catches fire to be depicted? The most likely scenario would be that the scene would be accompanied by shrieks of agony and desperate attempts for survival. However when Captain Vicky's (played by Ali Asgar) plane with no passengers crashes, it's actually portrayed as an amusingly sweet moment which even turns sweeter when he lands in a tropical island where there's a beautiful damsel in a bottle.

This isn't portrayed as a Robinson Crusoe scenario where the lone survivor has to fight tooth and nail to survive. The only similarity is that like Crusoe found a Man Friday, Vicky finds a Woman Friday who is none other than the beautiful Jeannie who can create magic in a split second thereby granting him his wishes. Alladin may have found a genie who was dark, gigantic and sinister looking albeit with a tender heart in his lamp. Vicky is however doubly lucky that his Jeannie is both beautiful and has a big heart. We are often asked this question as to whom you would like as accompaniment if you were marooned on an island, the answer to which often is that we would like our partner to be a very good looking person of the opposite gender. Vicky is the luckiest person on earth to have been granted this. Jeannie in fact lingers on with Captain Vicky even when he leaves the island which despite being a boon to him also puts him in a tight spot as his girlfriend Priya after all gets envious when she sees Jeannie whom she considers to be 'the other woman'.

Giaa Manek after have played a demure bahu in Saath Nibhana Saathiya plays a vibrant and sweetly cheeky Jeannie who is dressed in an exotic and oriental suit. Giaa thereby proves to the viewers that she can do diverse roles with elan. Ali Asgar who is a versatile actor and comedian also does full justice to the role of the very simple and lovable Captain Vicky. Kurush Deboo plays with alacrity a psychiatrist who is interestingly suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder while treating his patients- indeed Vicky's case becomes a compulsive obsession for him and he is hell bent on getting to the root of his 'ailment'. The rest of the actors have also done a good job.

As far as the humour quotient of the show is concerned, I had a good laugh when Dr.Cyrus Doctor asks Vicky as to what was in the bottle which he found on the island- was there cold drink, milk, water or lemon juice in there? His prosaic mind refuses to believe that there's an endearing Jeannie in the bottle. He also jumps to the conclusion that it's not normal if a person is normal after having gone through a brush with death ordeal like Captain Vicky has gone through. All Dr.Cyrus Doctor can think of is that Vicky needs to be hospitalized.

Another moment which tickled my funny bone were when Mrs.Chatur admonishes her writer husband who is peeping into his neighbour Vicky's house with the excuse that he needs to observe others' lives to get inspiration for his stories. He on seeing Jeannie insists that he is seeing a beautiful lady with Vicky when his wife sees nothing or sweetly admonishes her husband on mistakenly thinking that her husband is staring at an elderly woman whom she feels her husband is referring to as the damsel.

Similarly Vicky's coquettish girlfriend being suspicious of him and Vicky's dad being thoroughly upset on thinking that his wife has gifted a precious diamond necklace to their son's maid on mistaking her to be his bride were endearing moments on the show. The same sequences in a family drama soap would have come out as melodramatic.  

Coming to the costume design and makeup Giaa Manek looks like a fairy without wings. Mr. and Mrs.Chatur are also dressed like typical Bengalees. Dr.Cyrus Doctor's costume effectively conveys his eccentricity. However it's upsetting that Vicky's girlfriend Priya has to be dressed in Western clothes to reflect that she is a rich and spoiled girl.

As far as the art direction and visual effects are concerned; after impressing us with an exquisite fairy land in Baal Veer we see nice graphics in Jeannie Aur Juju too. Jeannie coming in and out of the bottle accompanied by a whiff of smoke is a delight to watch. I greatly enjoyed watching the scene in which Jeannie is inside the pink bottle, the background in the scene with precision displayed an enlarged view which seemed to be a replica of the bottle's internal background. 

SAB TV's experiment with the fantasy genre has been successful in Jeannie and Juju. If the TRPs of both the shows Baal Veer and Jeannie and Juju are found to be impressive in mid-December hopefully the channel will have more fantasy shows.

Verdict: Three out of five stars

Author and Reporter: Pallavi Bhattacharya

giaaa manek is best she is sooo cute

Questions by reporters that annoy our Telly stars!

Questions by reporters that annoy our Telly stars!

Celebs speak about the questions asked by reporters, which irk them…

Apart from their busy shooting schedule, our Telly stars are always seen busy answering an array of questions which are put forth to them by reporters. Needless to say that there would certainly be a few questions that ruffle their feathers. Today, Tellybuzz gave an opportunity to our Telly stars to share some of these vexing questions.  Read on to find out what your favorite celebs have to speak about it.

Giaa Manek: Personal questions.

http://www.india-forums.com/tellybuzz/creative-cocktail/13387-questions-by-reporters-that-annoy-our-telly-stars.htm

TOI : I am a foodie: Giaa Manek

I am a foodie: Giaa Manek
Giaa Manek More Pics

Giaa Manek plays cute Jeannie in Sab TV's Jeannie aur Juju and is enjoying her role. The actress claims that she doesn't workout to remain fit in her hectic agenda.

"I don't workout. I have warm water throughout the day as it helps burn fats. I am a complete foodie and probably blessed. However, I don't know how long I will be blessed, so just make sure to have lot of water," said Giaa.

On being whether dancing still remains a routine after Jhalak, Giaa claimed to enjoy performing for events. "I have learnt 10 different international dance forms. Honestly, would love to continue dancing, but I enjoy performing for events," she concluded.

Link :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/I-am-a-foodie-Giaa-Manek/articleshow/17493737.cms

TB: TV actors warmly embrace Mumbai's winter

Thursday, December 06, 2012 | 3:37:54 PM IST (+05:30 GMT) 

Winter has set in in Mumbai, the mercury has dropped a few degrees, it's just a wee bit chilly. TV actors are thoroughly enjoying this season.

When you think of winter, the scene you instantly conjure up is of a snowy landscape, a cosy fireplace, warm woollen mittens and mugs of hot chocolate. Mumbai, the city where shooting for TV shows happen, however has a maritime climate with very mild winters. Nevertheless TV actors are making the best of Mumbai winters as it's after all a very pleasant season especially for outdoor shooting

I shoot indoors in winter; therefore shooting in winter doesn't make much of a difference to me. I love to wear colourful jackets, woollen clothes, and polo necked T-shirts in this weather. However as I am in my show costume most of the time I really don't get much time to wear the kind of winter wear I like. 
My winter skin care regime isn't really different. I have the same skin care regime all year round- that is cleansing and moisturizing with a very good cream. My favourite brand is Bath and Body Works. 
I like to have hot tea and pakodas in this weather. My mom makes delicious pakodas. I also enjoy snuggling up in warm blankets in winter.
India-forums.com hopes that all TV actors will have a gala time this winter. The sun which usually pours relentlessly on Mumbai, seems to somewhat turn its glaring face away from the city in winter, but never ever deserts it. In fact the sunlight is sweetly caressing when it envelopes Mumbai in the season. No wonder winter is such an ideal season for our TV industry! 

Let us love winter, for it is the spring of genius- Pietro Aretino (was an Italian author, playwright, poet)

TOI: Many actors are insecure: Giaa Manek

By Vaibhavi V Risbood, TNN | Dec 4, 2012, 03.10 PM IST
Many actors are insecure: Giaa Manek
Giaa Manek More Pics

Giaa Manek, who reached new heights of popularity with her portrayal of Gopi Bahu inSaath Nibhaana Saathiya on Star Plus, speaks her heart out and claims that she always follows her heart.

The actress had to opt out of Star Plus' show as her decision to be a part of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaadidn't go down well with many. However, the actress claims that she didn't leave the show for any other show.

"I didn't leave in Saath Nibhaana Saathiya forJhalak. I was tortured and since childhood my parents taught me to stand for right things. Many actors are insecure, but they should not take exploitation. I always follow my heart," said Giaa.

On being asked about how she deals with any controversy, Giaa said that she doesn't pay heed to rumors, "Two and half years nothing was written about me. There are jealous people around and many of them want to pull you down. Such rumors are done by those people," concluded Giaa.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/Many-actors-are-insecure-Giaa-Manek/articleshow/17477010.cms
TOI: I am happy not being typecast: Giaa Manek

I am happy not being typecast: Giaa Manek
Giaa Manek

Giaa Manek is currently essaying the role of a genie on Sab TV's Jeannie Aur Juju. The actress is happy playing the sweet genie and claims to be happy about not being offered same kind of roles.

"I am very happy that I play different roles. The character of genie is completely opposite to what I essayed in the past. I am happy not being typecast," said Giaa.

"I have seen the original show as a kid and now doing the character of genie is amazing," concluded Giaa.

Link :

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/tv/I-am-happy-not-being-typecast-Giaa-Manek/articleshow/17521638.cms
TOI: I won't ever play a character like Gopi bahu again: Giaa
By Amrita Mulchandani, TNN | Dec 15, 2012, 12.00 AM IST

I won't ever play a character like Gopi bahu again: Giaa
Giaa Manek

Giaa Manek on what keeps her going beyond the dream world of telly soaps and her take on love

Confident, outspoken and vivacious describesGiaa Manek best in real life. Giaa seems to have done a 360 degree turn ever since she shed her telly bahu garb, and seems like a livewire. Best known as the first Gopi bahu Giaa who has also shaken a leg in a dance reality show was inAhmedabad to promote her new show Jeannie Aur Juju.

As we sit down to talk, we quiz Giaa about how she has overcome all the controversies (she was reportedly asked to leave her debut show because she defied the channel's request and participated in a dance show on a rival broadcaster) Giaa insists that she is a in a mood to give it back.

"I have become more confident as an actor and have learnt to express. I was quite disturbed and upset when almost overnight everyone was bad mouthing me as an actress and calling me all sorts of names. I have never faced something like this in my life before. Of course, majority of the news that was spread was false — I remained tight lipped and so everyone said whatever came to their mind. It is only me, the channel and the production house who know the actual problem. Even if I am no longer Gopi, Kanhaji is with me," she expresses.

From a sobbing bahu to a smiling genie, Giaa says that her current show is a great change for her. "I only smile these days. I have stopped crying on screen. As an actress I am happy with whatever role is given to me. My current show is not a slapstick comedy. The script is tight and I can be spontaneous," says this petite girl.

On the lighter side, Giaa says that if she had a genie in her life, "My travelling, make up, long shooting hours — everything would become easy. I would pack up my shoot in just two hours," she laughs.

While Giaa had been deluged with offers of family soaps, she refrained from doing them because she didn't want to play a role similar to "Gopi. I was afraid to get typecast. I don't want to play a character like Gopi again because I have done it in the past. However, if I am offered the role of a bahu with some interesting shades to her character, then I don't mind doing it. No show maker wants to take the risk of portraying me in a different light," she says and goes on to add, "TV characters have become monotonous. After Tulsi, I was the second bahu who became a national favourite. I've been a much loved telly bahu, danced in Jhalak Dhiklaja and am a genie in my new show, what more could I have asked for?"

For someone so young, Giaa's seen the highs and lows of her profession. How does it feel to be on both sides of the spectrum? "I feel truly blessed. My parents must have surely done some good deed that I have got so much love from people," says Giaa who loves to go on "dates" with her mother.

As our chat veers to her personal life, Giaa pours her heart out. "I have no inhibitions about falling in love. But having said that, it is difficult to get a good guy who will respect me and my work. I want someone who'll give me space and accept me as an actress. If I meet the right guy tomorrow, I will get married. Since I plan to continue working post marriage, I don't mind getting married anytime," says Giaa and adds, "I have seen loads of people who marry because of peer pressure — I am not someone who will do that. I feel my Mr Right is hiding somewhere and he will soon come in my life. I fall in love easily so I always take care before getting close to anyone," says the bubbly girl.

TOI: Newcomers on TV want to be stars, not actors: Ali Asgar
By Amrita Mulchandani, TNN | Dec 19, 2012, 12.00 AM IST

Newcomers on TV want to be stars, not actors: Ali Asgar
Ali Asgar

Affable Ali Asgar is best remembered as his iconic character Kamal Agrawal in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki which made him a household name overnight. Ali has been in the glambiz since 1984. He has done his share of television shows and has more than 45 films in his CV. Ali who considers Ahmedabad as his hometown was here to promote his new show Jeannie Aur Juju, where he plays Captain Vikram Khanna. 

Talking about his stint on television Ali says, "When I started my career, I worked with the same production house with which I am doing my current show. I never had to struggle to get work. I feel I am god's favourite child — he's always kept me busy. I never had the pressure of earning money and that gave me the liberty to choose my work. I don't plan anything in life. I want to die with greasepaint on." Interestingly, Ali wanted to be a chef but destiny made him an actor. 

Termed as one of the best comedians in the industry, Ali talks on why comedy shows are a rage on small screen today. "In 2000, we had limited options for audiences. Thanks to Kaun Banega Crorepati, it opened ways for many shows. Earlier comedy shows had no standing, today it's at par with daily soaps. I feel comedy is working on TV as people are so stressed out now and these shows help them to destress," says Ali who feels working in daily soaps is like getting married, because you need to be "responsible" and "involved with the show 365 days". 

Over the years, Ali has carved a niche for himself in the entertainment industry, but feels it is difficult for newcomers to have an enduring presence. "Newcomers want to be stars and not actors. Actors are now working on how to get perfect bodies (six packs/eight packs) and don't care about their acting chops. I believe if one can't entertain oneself then he can't entertain the audience either. On the other hand, one can't blame the actors much as even directors/audiences want actors with chiselled bodies," says Ali. 

Unlike counterparts who always want to be part of the movies, Ali maintains that he doesn't crave to do films anymore. "I feel content with the films I've done. I am not keen on doing lead roles on TV, I want to concentrate on strong character roles," says Ali. Once the make-up comes off, Ali loves spending time with his family. "I live for my children. My life completely changed after my son was born."