Debate Mansion

Cultural Treasure Should Be Returned?

sowmyaa thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Should country's cultural treasure or property be returned to country of its origin? We all know how Kohinoor was taken by British from India's rich cultural heritage. It is also believed that British also have many other Indian treasures including remains of Chatrapati Shivaji. Chineese and many other countries are trying to get back their cultural property from various countries. J Paul Getty Trust in Los Angeles decided to return Italian art objects that it had in it's possession back to Italian government.

Do you think that it is right to ask our cultural treasure back or what is done is done and what we once lost does not deserve to get back or it's not worth digging history again?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Dazlingflower thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Nice topic 👏 👏
I believe It should be return to us..eventhough I know Europeans will never agree to it. They make so much money out of that...imagine..a white person who has not stepped in to india, gets to experience our life style through these museums.

I agree with Abhijeet...our dginity and self respect and pain full memories are hard to replace.

I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but one of the Mexican historian in 60's went to Britain's Museum of Aztecs. Now here is the scary thing...Museums have basements where they keep artifacts which they don't want to expose to the world. They fear that someone might steal them or take them away for study puposes. Only few scholars are given permission to enter...anyways...this Mexican Archeologist who looked Spanish, so he almost looked white...went to the Aztec's museum and asked to see artifacts in the basement. He lied and said that he belongs to this Spain. On that time, they didn't have technology to check the background, so the let him enter on teh face value. He decribed ," Many sophiscated artifacts were stored with gold and diamonds. He also found scriptures--holy scriptures that were hidden from rest of the world. He stole it from the Museum and brought it back to Mexico. Now according to these artifacts, Aztec had an advanced language system which wasn't shown in history books.
I believe If it was true for Aztec Museums, it might be true for Indian museums. They might have something that no one knows about..

Plus Museums in ancient time were built when no one had the acess to the other side of the world. Now if Europeans want to, they can come to India anytime..They have no reason to hold our artifacts there...
I think we should demand it back.
Swar_Raj thumbnail
They can never return what we really lost. Our bound and relationship that we had and was lost with the creation of Pakistan and is still bleeds.
But the things that they are decorating their museum with , should be returned.
But if they return what ever they took from other nations...England will be empty. THey had nothing of their own, that is why they invaded others. So i highly doubt they will ever do that

Nice topic though 👏 ...should be debate of the day.
Aspire thumbnail
Interesting question 😊

Before, I used to argue that we have the right to bring back our artifacts from Britain but now..I'm not so sure on that though. I mean, if they agree to it, we should definitley bring it.

The thing is if I was British, I wouldn't give it though because no matter what, it is a symbol. A symbol of what happened in history. A symbol of what they achieved and conqured. It is not only a part of our history but is also a part of their history which is why they definitly have their right on it.

Just my 2 cents! 😆
SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I wonder if Indian Govt ever asked for an official apology from Queen Elizabeth herself for heinous crimes British Empire committed here for over 2 centuries, for torturing and killing numerous Indians, destroying our Industries, our heritage, our culture, our knowledge...the list can go on endlessly. 😡
sowmyaa thumbnail
I agree with Abhijit. I hope we realize and atleast try to preserve what is still left with us. Like Khajuraho temples, red fort, taj mahal ...i went to red fort long time back (may be 13ish yrs back) and I think we should still put more afforts to preserve our monuments.
Aspire thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: SolidSnake

I wonder if Indian Govt ever asked for an official apology from Queen Elizabeth herself for heinous crimes British Empire committed here for over 2 centuries, for torturing and killing numerous Indians, destroying our Industries, our heritage, our culture, our knowledge...the list can go on endlessly. 😡

Don't you forget all the good things they brought to India. We probably would not have been where we are today without them. 😉

Dazlingflower thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Don't you forget all the good things they brought to India. We probably would not have been where we are today without them. 😉

[/QUOTE]

😕 What good things? You mean if British wouldn't have invaded us, we wouldn't have railroads, electricity..................etc etc? Just because they were the ones on that time who needed railroads to get their things done, we should be thankful to them? Please! We would have gotten that anyways....... We were a civilized and a developed nation..we were way advanced on that time. WE had ships on that time too, but we never felt the need to invade becaue like a developed nation, we didn't depend on any body. They were the ones who needed raw material and gold and money. They were the third world or savages that looted us and stripped us off everything.

Swar_Raj thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Aspire

What good thing. ?????????????????????????????????????

our science, literature, music and wealth..all were way ahead then any other country. And that too due to our ability and not by stealing forcefully. They took the literature, science by invading other countries and then moved ahead. Only thing they brought and taught us is backbiting and fight in the name of religion..Divide & rule. 

Aparna_BD thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Swar_Raj

What good thing. ?????????????????????????????????????

our science, literature, music and wealth..all were way ahead then any other country. And that too due to our ability and not by stealing forcefully. They took the literature, science by invading other countries and then moved ahead. Only thing they brought and taught us is backbiting and fight in the name of religion..Divide & rule. 

Very nicely said Swarraj. Infact if the Brits built roads, and trains etc , it was for their benifit. No doubt it helped us then. But whats to say that we couldn't have done this by our self with out their help ?? The country was certianly divided then , when the East India Co. and the Dutch came in. But even if they hadn't entered in to India, we can only guess the course India would have taken. We may have proggressed way faster if we didn't have to first fight for our independence.