Hair thinning and regeneration

Posted: 11 years ago
Hi everyone,

Trust that all is well with everybody.  I am here asking you to share if you have any knowledge about the regeneration and growth of hair for men ( not sure if there is a difference how hair grows between males and females , but I don't think there is  much variance. )

So about 4 years ago I moved out of home for further studies. I used to not take good care of myself ...like poor eating habits, not putting oil on my hair, exercising and eating very little. Now I am paying for my stupidity. My grandmother noticed that my hair had not grown for about 3 months . When I was living at home, which was when I was up to the age of 18, my hair used to grow very fast. I needed a haircut in 2 to 3 weeks. Besides not growing fast, it started to thin and fall off when I used to take bath or showers. Everyone in my family has good hair except for me, and this is very frustrating because when anyone looks at you or your face...they first notice your hair and then the other things like your eyes, nose, beard etc.

Anyway , now I am eating well and exercise in moderation. Also I put coconut oil every alternate day. My hair doesn't fall that much but is thinning. I don't use a lot of shampoo or conditioner or gel or anything like that. I rarely used styling gel even when I was young. I am 20 now and dont this problem to get worse.

My hair is thinning on the top but is okay on the sides and back. I ultimately want it to grow my hair like Theoden for Lord of the rings ( forum wont let me post a pic).

So my question to you is :

1. Is there any specific oil I should be using to improve the texture and increase my hair?

2. I understand that there is an art in massaging the scalp, but everytime I massage lots of hair fall out. Is there a correct way to minimize this problem?

3. How often should I oil my hair? I heard its bad to wash your hair everyday, because I put oil overnight and in the morning I wash it with little shampoo.

Thanks in advance.
I can only talk from a girls perspective about hair, but for me i had a huge amount of hair fall over a 3-4 year period because of stress, and not eating well and no exercise. Now though what I am trying to do is the following:

- put oil in my hair 2 times a week.
- the oil im using is coconut mixed with olive oil and indian gooseberry (i made it at home)
- olive oil makes my hair really smooth.

- with regards to the massage what I do is place the tips of my fingers on my temples and start there. I basically hold my fingers there and create small circles. Then I slowly move towards the middle. I do this all over my head. The massage lasts about 1-2 mins. Too much is also not good so i only do it for a few mins. 
- I massage my head with and without oil, e.g when watching tv I just get bored so i massage my head. 

- Another thing you can do is perhaps take multi vitamin tablets for hair, skin and nails. you can get these at most drug stores or supermarkets

- This may not be relevant, but a lot of people with alopecia have said rubbing a garlic or an onion on their head, in less hair areas, has caused hair to grow there. but i think you would have to look into this. 

-I know you are a boy buy you may want to try mendhi once or twice. It is meant to be cooling for the head and is a great conditioner. Albeit, make sure you mix in amla, shikakai, bringraj powder in there, so that you dont get too much of the mendhi colour on your hair. When I do this i put oil on my hair before because mendhi dries out my hair. 

- you may want to look into non-SLS shampoos. I have heard that they are better for te hair, although I am yet to try it out. 

-For more information look up hair care videos on youtube.

Hope this has helped you :)

Edited by inocence - 11 years ago
Hey inocence,

Thank you so much for your response, I'll try everything you mentioned.  How is your hair now? Is it getting/ or has it got better? I hope it has. 

I have a few questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering them...

1. You said you make the Indian gooseberry at home? How did you do that? 

2. Do you warm the mixtures of oil or do you just apply as is?

3. You mentioned vitamin tablets, do you know of any that I should try. 

Once again, thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it. 

-Kev
Originally posted by kevofev

Hey inocence,

Thank you so much for your response, I'll try everything you mentioned.  How is your hair now? Is it getting/ or has it got better? I hope it has. 

I have a few questions for you, if you wouldn't mind answering them...

1. You said you make the Indian gooseberry at home? How did you do that? 

2. Do you warm the mixtures of oil or do you just apply as is?

3. You mentioned vitamin tablets, do you know of any that I should try. 

Once again, thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it. 

-Kev

Hey

Well, right now my hair is better, I mean its still thin, but i don't get as much hair fall, i.e. every time I touch it it doesn't come out in my hand. 

1. Ok so what I did was the following:
- bought 8-10 gooseberrys
- cut them up and threw the seed away
- took the cut up pieces and put them into a juicer
- all the pulp from that, i took and put into a pan, the juice you can drink (i dont know what the benefits of that is but i guess it has a lot of vit c so a spoon a day can be just for general health)
- so in the pan, i put coconut oil, olive oil and I heated it on a loww gas for about 30 mins
- then let it cool over night
- then use a strainer or a cloth and get the oil, this is a very messy process

2. usually my oil gets hard, so i put warm water in my sink and put the oil bottle in the water. This melts it and then i put it into a bowl and massage into my head. 

3. perfectil for hair, skin and nails. but there are tons of vitamin tablets.

:D

Thank you ,  you were really very helpful. I'll give it a go and see what happens. 
Best wishes. 
No worries!! Let me know if you find any difference :D
To grow more faster than normal without side effects then you can use Amla Edited by anirudh123 - 11 years ago
amla is indian gooseberry
UPDATE!!

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for your advice. Here is an update after Inocence's advice on my problem : 

So on December 13th , I shaved my head completely to # 0 . The reason I did this is because my hair was about 5 to 6 cm long. And everytime I had to massage my hair or put oil on it , a lot of hair used to fall off. and then more hair would fall off when I washed it . 

Since then I've been applying the treatement "inocence" gave me almost every alternate day and sometimes 2 days in a row. I have noticed some changes.  When my hair was growing two weeks after the haircut, I could see the "problem spots" on my head. It is basically the " crown " or top portion of my head. There are some areas that grow and some areas that take twice as long to grow and then there's the sides of my hair that grow normally. 

Anyway , its been more than 2 months now and the sides are 2 to 3 cm and the top is 1-2 cm in length.  My hair has definitely got more darker, but I think it will take more time before I need to go for a hair cut again. 

Thank you all for your help . ðŸ˜ƒ

I do have one question , do you recommend I eat a particular food or take a vitamin to help with this case. 

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by kevofev

Since then I've been applying the treatement "inocence" gave me almost every alternate day and sometimes 2 days in a row. I have noticed some changes.  When my hair was growing two weeks after the haircut, I could see the "problem spots" on my head. It is basically the " crown " or top portion of my head. There are some areas that grow and some areas that take twice as long to grow and then there's the sides of my hair that grow normally. 

Anyway , its been more than 2 months now and the sides are 2 to 3 cm and the top is 1-2 cm in length.  My hair has definitely got more darker, but I think it will take more time before I need to go for a hair cut again. 

Wow Congratulations!!
how do you feel about the changes? 
usually hair grows an average of 1 cm a month so thats great that your hair is growing at a normal pace! its so cool that your hair has gotten darker..thats brilliant!! :)

in terms of what to eat...well im vegetarian...so for me i try to ensure that i have daal once a day in my dinner or something..if you eat meat then fish is a great source of protein, as is egg. Almonds are great and if you have an amla every so often it would be good. Lauki is also very good for hair, so if you eat its curry that would be good. :)