Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minionite thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: -Srushti-

@Shreya ...waiting for your musings๐Ÿ˜ƒ

My musings will come after my exams and once I reach Switzerland on Saturday/Sunday. ๐Ÿ˜†
Mione thumbnail
So I have been thinking about this for a long long time now, but it had taken a back-seat in my mind. You all must have noticed the contrast between Hermione and Luna. I almost feel like Luna was placed in the book to be the opposite of Hermione. To see the things that Hermione's logic and bookishness cannot see. When they first meet they clash over views and when I think about it maybe that was what Harry needed. He had spent so long taking all this structured, logic advice from Hermione and then Luna waltzes in, comes up with something brilliant without everything Hermione does to get there. (I love both of them though ๐Ÿ˜Š)

Then I continued thinking. Don't Hermione and Luna just remind you of the relationship between Professor McGonagall and Professor Trelawney. Especially in the Christmas chapter of PoA when McGonagall clearly thinks that Trelawney is off her rocker. The younger two are just like the older two.

So tell me your opinions on the relationships, Do you see any similarities? Do you think Hermione and Luna are basically younger versions of the Professors? Do you agree that Luna was put in the book to be an opposite of Hermione? Do you think Harry needed this? What do you think about the relationship between the professors? Any other thoughts on the four characters I mentioned?

Edited by Mione - 11 years ago
Cutecj thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
i agree with all views.
I will give my views soon
abavi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 6
This is something that I have noticed throughout the books..
 A lot of times Ron would say things just like that and it would actually end up to be true...
may be JKR wanted to give us indications of what she had planned for later and she used Ron for that... very intriguing and interesting!

I am adding whatever I could remember, I shall update it later...

1. Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets- Ron pondering over why Riddle got award for his special services at Hogwarts.
 "Maybe Tom Riddle got thirty O.W.L.s or saved a teacher from the giant squid. Maybe he murdered Myrtle; that would've done everyone a favour..."

2. Harry potter and chamber of secrets- Hermione and Ron are talking about Lockhart, Hermione says that Lockhart is all brave as he has done all those wonderful, brave stuff that he has written on his books...and Ron comments- he only says he has done it and no one knows if it is true... and it happens in the end that they discover, that Lockhart has lied in his books..
 "Rubbish,' said Hermione, 'You've read his books-look at all those amazing things he's done-' 'He says he's done,' Ron muttered

3. In Harry potter and Goblet of Fire- When Harry discovers about the disappearence of Mr.Crouch and Victor saying that he was attacked, Hermione says that may be someone attacked vicktor, Ron says it should have been Mr.Crouch himself. Later we discover Crouch junior would have attacked victor.
"Either Mr. Crouch attacked Viktor, or somebody else attacked both of them when Viktor wasn't looking." Hermione said
"It must've been crouch," said Ron at once.

4. In Harry potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Ron jokes about voldemort hiding behind a book shelf in Flourish and Blotts, and it happens that later in the book, Dumbledore tells harry that the diary(a book) had a peice of voldemort's soul hidden in it.
"Mum, do you honestly think You-Know-Who's going to be hiding behind a bookshelf in Flourish and Blotts?"

5. In Harry potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Ron jokes that McLaggen went the other way as if he was confunded, and Harry finds later that hermione actually confunded him
"I was better than McLaggen anyway," said Ron in highly satisfied voice. "Did you see him lumbering off in the wrong direction on his fifth? Looked like he was Confounded . . . ."
Edited by abavi - 11 years ago
Cutecj thumbnail
@ abavi very true great observation.
Cutecj thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mione

So I have been thinking about this for a long long time now, but it had taken a back-seat in my mind. You all must have noticed the contrast between Hermione and Luna. I almost feel like Luna was placed in the book to be the opposite of Hermione. To see the things that Hermione's logic and bookishness cannot see. When they first meet they clash over views and when I think about it maybe that was what Harry needed. He had spent so long taking all this structured, logic advice from Hermione and then Luna waltzes in, comes up with something brilliant without everything Hermione does to get there. (I love both of them though ๐Ÿ˜Š)

Then I continued thinking. Don't Hermione and Luna just remind you of the relationship between Professor McGonagall and Professor Trelawney. Especially in the Christmas chapter of PoA when McGonagall clearly thinks that Trelawney is off her rocker. The younger two are just like the older two.

So tell me your opinions on the relationships, Do you see any similarities? Do you think Hermione and Luna are basically younger versions of the Professors? Do you agree that Luna was put in the book to be an opposite of Hermione? Do you think Harry needed this? What do you think about the relationship between the professors? Any other thoughts on the four characters I mentioned?

True they do seem to be similar but i think that Luna was brought in because someone had to really understand what harry was going through. Ron and Hermione did comfort him but they never experienced what Harry. I mean Luna was brought into the picture when Harry was going through seeing the death of Cedric and Ron and Hermione never witnessed a live  murder Luna had seen her mother die so she had lost a parent and she witnessed death.
True Luna does seem the opposite of Herminone as Hermione sticks to facts and Luna believes in imagination.
Cutecj thumbnail
Hey there everyone, i had a topic that's been nagging a lot.It has to do with the animals in HP. I mean in POA we are told that the  animals owned by the witch/wizard have magical abilities but they were not clearly described in the books.
According to me i think Hedwig has the ability to know when and where she is needed. Hermione didn't have an owl in POA to send Harry his birthday gift and when she thought of this Hedwig went to her. Not only this but every time Sirius is in hiding noone knows but when Harry sends him a letter Hedwig always finds him.
Crookshanks has the ability to recognize things for what they truly are. She knew that scabbers wasn't a rat and the dog was Sirius.
Fawkes could reach any where when dumboledore wanted.

Is this their ability or the connection between them and their owners?

-Srushti- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 7
I agree both with you guys, Mione and Cutecj...though have to say Cutecj...I was about to write the same reply to Mione...well almost the same...

I too agree that Luna was brought when Harry needed to go beyond the logic and believe in the unbelievable...may be getting ready for the next phase of his life when he would be dealing with things which went beyond the reasonings and beliefs...
And it is equally true that we do see parellals between Mcgonanall and Hermione...both frown upon the things which were based on vague presumptions...They were highly intelligent yet deeply insecured women who would double and triple check everything before taking a decision...Though I think Hermione's perspective widened largely because of her best friend's influence in her life...which could not have been said about Mcgonall...she resorted to sticking to rules, inspite of having Dumbledore on her sides...
But although Luna and Trewlaney come out as highly illogical and dreamy women, both do have a lot of difference...first I find Trewlaney quite shallow...I mean she is a kind of self centric person...who actually believes she is very worthy...and a  true seer...the irony is that the predictions she made which had acheived the truth...were the ones she was totally unaware of...her pride in herself of being a true seer were based on her knowledge which was actually very fake...๐Ÿ˜† she failed to see that the only reason why Dumbledore kept her as a teacher was because of her safety...not because of her talent...Whereas Luna had no such belief..she believed in herself and people alike...she saw goodness and possiblities when there were none.
Luna although had an uncanny ability to speak embarassing truth, but Trewlaney was very selfabsorbed to see that people are hurt because of her...I mean after knowing Harry and his background, which sensitive person would always keep on predicting his death...that was very insensitive of her ... though she provided the comic relief in the books, it doesnot come out as a good thing, given Harry and his tragedies...

Mcgonall on the other hand was very protective of Harry and always tried protecting her...even believing him when his reasonings went against her own ground rules...like she believed him when he said that he had seen the attack on Arthur Weasley in his dreams...even though it was highly improbable (which later on turned out to be the truth!) ...may be because she was knowing about the Order of the Phoenix..but still...she was there ..when Harry needed the protection..even in Deathly Hallows..she took to fighting Snape...to protect Harry...
-Srushti- thumbnail
Originally posted by: abavi

This is something that I have noticed throughout the books..

A lot of times Ron would say things just like that and it would actually end up to be true...
may be JKR wanted to give us indications of what she had planned for later and she used Ron for that... very intriguing and interesting!

@Abavi...Ron was always hiddenly talented seer๐Ÿ˜† his mutterings and retorts were exemplary๐Ÿ˜†

I just found this on FB...interesting ...Goes in sync with what you are saying...

-Srushti- thumbnail
Though the whole cast of HP was the most PERFECT cast ensemble...Be it the golden trio or Dumbledore or Minerva Mcgonall or Snape ...anybody...I still would say Alan Rickman and Rupert Grint were some who WERE the character...

May be I am partial...but when I read the books I actually IMAGINE Rupert's face saying the dialogues or doing whatever Ron does in the book..even though the same are not in the movie...I mean the sarcasti Harry was not in the movie...So Dan doesnot pop up in my imagination when Harry is taunting Dudley...Hermione though perfect in form of Emma Watson...has her absences too...
But Rupert infalliably  does that ... and eventhough in movies, they had mashed up quite much...still he does remain to be consistent...

Except this ONE scene...the end hug between Harry and Hermione...when Harry tells them he is going to the forest...Though the hug was not in the book..I do feel it was in perfect sync in the characters of Harry and Hermione...Hermione would have known about .or atleast have a niggling doubt about Harry being the Horcrux...

But they made Ron stand like a dump there...It was really weird...when he sees harry leaving he says 'We thought you you had gone to the forest' ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
OUIII...??????? how come...I mean you knew your best friend had gone to sacrifice himself and you are sitting there with you other best friend doing nothing?? Is that the Ron and Hermione we know??

And then he just stands there when Hermione offers to go with Harry...and hugs him...he watches on...WHAT WAS THAT??? that was one moment I could not connect with Ron...never will...

There are quite a few moments like that in other characters..Like how Dumbledore ATTACKED Harry in GOF...where as in books is asks him calmly whether it was he who had put his name in the GOF... in the movie he actually man handles him๐Ÿ˜• Dmbledore the epitome of politeness does that!!!