Posted: 11 years ago
Discussion Of The Week:Seasonal or Daily

Hello peeps.Here I am with the discussion of the week 😊

So...most Indian TV soaps are of the "daily soap" format.And we know how they are.Indian soaps are full of the most filler things...eyelocks,look look hawas hawas,unnecessary dragging,never ending problems,countless MU's,kitchen politics,and other such instruments to fill the half hour episodes aired 5 days a week.Since the epis are of the daily format,creatives are forced to show fillers because it is extremely difficult to think of something unique & out of the way,day after day,month after month.Thus... a lot of shows with great concepts lose their quality & often become somewhat of a drag.They lose their unpredicitibility.

Take our TBP itself as an example.It started off as something unlike other youth shows.Eye locks & very coincidental trips were not passed of as romance.Gradually however...the CVs had to resort to the same old formulas with KiSha in the camp track,and even a RaHi eyelock this one time in Panchi's room.Granted they weren't 5 min long ones & not half as cliche as in a lot of other shows,however it decreased the quality of TBP by a notch.

On the other hand is the seasonal format,which is followed by all American shows.And we can see that they are superior to our shows in terms of storyline,quality,treatment of romance & so on.The romance means a lot of meaningful conversations & facing problems together,rather than being apart all the time due to MU's which is what relationships are actually about.Shows which air once a week do not need to have tracks which are dragged & are more successful in holding on to the audience due to the story itself,and not a couple or an actor.Just imagine...if TBP was a 1 hr every week show...would KD's jail have been dragged.It would probably have been wrapped up in 1 or 2 epis,which is what happens in American shows.Thus,a good track wouldn't have made people weary because of its excessive dragging.One of my personal favourites is "The Vampire Diaries".It airs once a week & has 20-22 epis per season.As a result...the show is practically never a drag because each epi is gripping,& no track is dragged because they need to move a substantial part of the story forward in 20 epis.So if there is a track which I don't like,its no big deal because it'll be over in an epi two.Audiences thus never give up on the show because of it becoming monotonous.If they don't like the show in general...well that's a different thing altogether.KiSha & RaHi MU has been going on for a LONG time,while in TVD,Stelena MU lasted for all of I think 2-3 episodes.

This format is also an advantage to the actors.They have long breaks between seasons & can come back refreshed for a new season 😊

What are your views?Hope to see a no. of interesting replies here.
cant agree with u more πŸ˜›
awesome post dearπŸ‘
i personally like TVD as whnever i see it it gives freash and new episodes and we feel like we r watching a new story everytime , coz they dnt repeat themselves ,
and also actors wont get even bore by doing seasons after seasons
altough TBP is i guess way better than other soaps in our countryπŸ˜›
but sometime they also loose some of their uniquenessπŸ˜•

well this was my POV 😊
sorry ek lamb comment ho gayaπŸ˜†

PS: i love delena 😳 jst so u knwπŸ˜†

-razz
wow thts really intresting!!!glad you came up with this...i guess i quite agree with your idea of having shows that are seasonal than daily...though i havent watched the vampire diaries many of my friends love watching it and are a huge fan of delena...
i so agree with this because if we calculate then we can see that in these four days we get 1 hour 20 minutes of the show only and if we have 1 hour a week epis then the mu's wont seem a drag and we will get an intresting epi with all elements in one...20 minutes a day is actually quite less for viewers to enjoy the show...having seasonal shows will also increase our want and curiosity to see wats up for the next week and tv actors can have a break also...
so my vote goes for saying tht seasonal shows are so much better than having daily soaps but this can only be a dream and never reality as the indian television industry will NEVER do so...
loved the topic...😊
Thanx for the comment & for agreeing.Yes...actors don't get bored & thus they consistently keep giving good performances.I have seen so many really good actors getting bored & bringing their performsnce down to below average.Yes...TBP is better than most soaps,but even it had to resort to cliches.

Uff...I can't tolerate DE:-P.Bamon & Stelena forever<3<3<3
I cant agree with u more :)
i really feel we need to incorporate the seasons concept in india. If we have one epi per week the story line doesnt get dragged and the cvs dun have to show filler episodes and the story of show will remain crisp like u said. Also if a show airs one episode per week then we will also get a more variety of shows to enjoy :) and the actors will get loads of time to relax and not have such hectic schedules.
Also if the shows have seasons then the actors also would get time to do other things like movies when the season ends for that year so no question of our fav tv actors leaving the shows to pursue movies and all :)
Like TBBT airs from sep to may in America... And then Jim parsons does broadway in the summers. So its a win win situation for everyone... :p :p :p

Hi, πŸ€—

I disagree.. 

I am a person who loses interest very quickly. πŸ˜• 
I used to love Ek hazaron mein meri behna hai but then i had 3 months gap in between because of some religious matter and i lost the interest in the show. 

I love watching vampire diaries but it comes like monthly.. so i have to wait for it. What i do is, i watch the 33 episode and then i have to waaait for the 34th episode.. and then when i watch 34th episode, i actually forget what happened in the 33th episode and then i have to go back to the 33th episode and then watch the 34th episode.. i blame my stupid memory for it.😑 So i kinda lost my interest in it. 

And when it comes to daily i love it.

Like you said that the jail track was dragged too much, i agree it was dragged but if it was done in one or 2 episodes people will say that the CVs ended it very abruptly. India is used to the streeetched stories. 

Humans are never satisfied with what they get.  

res
unres
Well, I am with aily.
See, Indian shows have their own specularity, though it is sometimes too boring.
But it is unique with itself.
These days, the Indian shows are rather too stretchy, but not all..
Seasonal shows are very interesting.
Nothing very stretchy or dramatic.
But though, the wait is like never-ending.
Both have their own disadvantages.
Daily soaps, are sometimes stretchy and dramatic.
Seasonal shows make us wait more, which gradually decrease our interest.
We may get very desperate fr it which doesn't make our interest decrease, but sometimes, seasonal shows also have some disappointing episodes.
So one episode over, we have 2 wait for one week which does reduce our wait-ness and interest.
Not only this, I can't wait for a week to see Fahad.
Can't really!
But that's my P.O.V.
Btw, amazing idea.
And congratulations for becoming a rocker πŸ€—

Best,
Kesha

Edited by Kesha1234 - 11 years ago
We actually dun noe whether to comment it as we agree or not. So Stating our POV.

Indian shows have always been too unnecssarily dramatic. This is the sole reason why we don't follow any show regularly except for 1 now. It comes hard too see nonsensical stuff on TV. Daily bases shows are boring.N we love American shows *never watched TVD though* but changing Indian shows..pata nhi. Firstly, some people will totally get angry for some reasons and bash production. Thus TRP rtes going down the frain n blah blah. Secondly people may loose interest. As you said ki epis will become more substancial. Hmm. Maybe.

And as for the romantic angle for our Indian shows, 'dupatta-udding and girl falling' ke shiva kuch nhi hota hai yanha :D *had to mention this, JLT :D*
We actually dun noe whether to comment it as we agree or not. So Stating our POV.

Indian shows have always been too unnecssarily dramatic. This is the sole reason why we don't follow any show regularly except for 1 now. It comes hard too see nonsensical stuff on TV. Daily bases shows are boring.N we love American shows *never watched TVD though* but changing Indian shows..pata nhi. Firstly, some people will totally get angry for some reasons and bash production. Thus TRP rtes going down the frain n blah blah. Secondly people may loose interest. As you said ki epis will become more substancial. Hmm. Maybe. Hope we made some sense here :D

And as for the romantic angle for our Indian shows, 'dupatta-udding and girl falling' ke shiva kuch nhi hota hai yanha :D *had to mention this, JLT :D*

-Shreya and Kanishtha
Originally posted by -Alia-

Hi,πŸ€—

I disagree..

I am a person who loses interest very quickly.πŸ˜•
I used to love Ek hazaron mein meri behna hai but then i had 3 months gap in between because of some religious matter and i lost the interest in the show.

I love watching vampire diaries but it comes like monthly.. so i have to wait for it. What i do is, i watch the 33 episode and then i have to waaait for the 34th episode.. and then when i watch 34th episode, i actually forget what happened in the 33th episode and then i have to go back to the 33th episode and then watch the 34th episode.. i blame my stupid memory for it.😑 So i kinda lost my interest in it.

And when it comes to daily i love it.

Like you said that the jail track was dragged too much, i agree it was dragged but if it was done in one or 2 episodes people will say that the CVs ended it very abruptly.India is used to the streeetched stories.

Humans are never satisfied with what they get.

Oh.Well...that's a different issue 😊 Personally...I wouldn't mind going back to watch the previous epi as long as the content is consistently good.Good dailies often become a drag.Till date the only show which I have seen continuously without missing out on a single epi,& which have completely held my attention are D3(until I forced myself to leave it) &TBP uptil now.

and TVD comes once a week:-P