Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CoffeeCake thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 11 years ago
Gang-rape case: PM appeals for calm, victim critical; traffic jams choke Delhi

NEW DELHI: The condition of the young woman brutally raped worsened on Monday, as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urged the nation to pray for her and vowed to check "monstrous" crimes against women.
 A day after violence in the city centre left scores of civilians and policemen injured, calm returned to the capital even as hundreds continued to protest demanding strict action against the rapists.
 A Delhi Police constable badly beaten in the violence remained in critical condition.
 Security forces on Monday sealed off all roads leading to Rashtrapati Bhavan and India Gate, causing huge traffic jams, while Delhi Metro shut nine key stations to prevent demonstrators easy access to the capital's heart.
 Shortly before meeting Russian President Vladimir Putin, Manmohan Singh said in a televised address that he shared the "justified anger and anguish" over the December 16 gang rape but said violence was not called for.
 "I assure you we will make all possible efforts to ensure security and safety of women in this country," he said, adding that he was a "father of three daughters".
 "We will examine without delay not only the responses to this terrible crime but also all aspects concerning the safety of women and children and punishment to those who commit these monstrous crimes."
 Union home minister Sushilkumar Shinde said the rapists won't be spared. "I will take action and I will not spare anyone," he told television channels.
 At the Safdarjung Hospital, the 23-year-old rape victim's condition deteriorated due to internal bleeding.
 "Her condition is bad and serious compared to yesterday," PK Verma, ICU in-charge, said.
 "She continues to be critical but her kidneys are making urine and lungs are fine. She is conscious and communicating," he said.
 The woman's plight has attracted nationwide sympathy and ignited mass anger, with thousands taking to the streets in Delhi and other cities and towns.
 Under intense criticism, authorities on Monday suspended two assistant commissioners in Delhi Police for not stopping the bus with tinted windows in which the rape took place for some 40 minutes.
 Delhi's Lt governor Tejendra Khanna identified them as Mohan Singh Dabas of Delhi Traffic Police and Yad Ram of Police Control Room (PCR).
 Deputy commissioners Prem Nath of Delhi Traffic Police and Satyavir Singh Katara of PCR were told to explain the police lapses. Three policemen had been suspended earlier.
 The six accused, who have been arrested, were apparently drunk and on a joy ride. They had earlier robbed a man of Rs 7,000. But when he contacted police, they apparently failed to act.
 With India Gate sealed off, hundreds -- the number swelling in the afternoon and again slipping towards evening -- massed near Jantar Mantar monument, about a kilometre from Parliament.
 Shouting "We Want Justice", the young and the middle-aged, watched by policemen and paramilitary personnel, waved placards and the Indian flags. Most people were huddled in small groups. Many were school students.
 Protesters said that they were not convinced by the Prime Minister's assurance that the government would provide security and safety to women.
 "It is just lip service and it won't work any more. We want action," said Abhijit Sinha, a Delhi University student.
 Added Kanika, a medical student from Rohtak in Haryana: "We want justice and safety of women. The government should make strict laws that acts as a deterrent."
 Many were angry that Delhi Metro's key stations had been shut.
 "We will continue with our protests till concrete steps are taken," said Kavitha Krishnan of the All India Progressive Women's Association, one of several groups and NGOs taking part in the show of strength.

Soni. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: aditi_arshi

Ohkkk so President has finally opened his mouthπŸ₯± 

he hid in his luxurious president house ...didnt even thought of cuming out whn protesters were asking for him,police doing lathicharge on females...
n today he cum out...why????😑😑 ashamed of such president...i wish Dr.Abdul Kalaam cud be our president..

PM has also finally adressed today..ughhh...Sonia permitted him na..😑 ughhh

I saw the speech on youtube he was emotionless
he is such an idiot i feel like killing
He said Theek Hai at the end which means i have finished my scripted speech was it alright 
go to hell with him
.shinchan. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Originally posted by: Soni.

I saw the speech on youtube he was emotionless
he is such an idiot i feel like killing
He said Theek Hai at the end which means i have finished my scripted speech was it alright 
go to hell with him

n then they r thinking dat protesters will listen to dem.,we gv a damn to dem..so emotionless
russian president Mr.Putin has cum today na so doing all dis drama
USA n UK media took gud digs on Indian Govt
CoffeeCake thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Delhi gang-rape: "I am the voice of India"

Just as I reached India gate on the evening of 22 December and moved towards the monument which is our national symbol, the first thing that greeted me was the cry for justice. Thousands that had gathered at the venue were shouting in unison – "We want justice."

Another thing that struck me was the placards that the multitude was carrying – it said it all and encapsulated the mood of the nation. Sample some – "Enough is enough." "It is an emergency." "India wake up now." "Rapists should be hanged." "Don't worship us – just respect us." "Rapists are enemies of humanity." "Death sentence to rapists – no life term."

One did not need to talk to anyone present there to feel the anger that was palpable in the air. It is obvious that the outpouring of emotions is just not limited to what has happened to the para-medical student. The outpouring of emotions is because of what has been happening over the years. Ever since a 23-year old girl was viciously raped in a moving

bus in the heart of the national capital and then subjected to inhuman
and brutal violence, the reaction has been unprecented.

The crowd was either emotional or livid. An irate young girl named Jolly, who works in Wipro perhaps summed up the sentiments best when she told me – "I am the voice of India. This is not about one woman." Another young lady said, "We are protesting to live." And a mother of two daughters Sharda Mittal, living in Vivek Vihar said – "Let us keep our children safe, this should not happen to anyone ever." She said that she had come on her own to express her anguish at what had happened and to convey her solidarity towards the rape victim.

What was endearing was the fact that a major chunk of the crowd comprised of young men. It is the men of our society who have to change their mindset and stop treating the women as a commodity. It is they who have to realise that a woman's body is not up for grabs and she has the right to do what she wants to do with it and not anyone else. As a young man Rahul, working with the Delhi Jal Board said – "Respect the women who are on the road. They are someone's sister, wife and mother. Respect them." Another young man Nishant, working with HCL opined – "Stop dominating women.

Ninety-percent of the crowd present at India gate were young, mostly college students from middle and upper middle class families, though some looked like school children too. Then there was the older generation – mothers, fathers, grandparents – who live in fear, especially in a place like Delhi, every time that their loved ones step out of the house.

What also struck me was the fact that the protest appeared spontaneous. Most of the people that I talked too clarified that they had come on their own and joined the crowd at the venue and were not part of any organisation. I too did not see any placard displaying the name of any organisation except one or two like the Designers and Creators private limited and the Indian Association of Physiotherapists (IAP).

Whereas Pramila, a physiotherapist at AIIMS wanted swift action to be taken for the brutality meted out to one of her own, the president of IAP, Prof Umasankar Mohanty, who had come from Mangalore said that the culprit should be hanged. "This is the voice of all physiotherapists of the country," he said.

The only political organisation that I could find there was the Aam Admi Party of Arvind Kejriwal whose members were taking turns to address the crowd. However, student organisations like the AISA and AVBP have also been part of the protests.

Women have been subjected to violence and rape repeatedly in a patriarchal society like India, with the laws being such that more times than not the perpetrators get away with the crime. And even if the crime is proved in the court of law, the punishment is just a few years in prison – a few years for scarring the soul of the women forever. And come to think of it – many a times the victim does not go to the police station for fear of being ostracised by the society or for the ignominy that she suffers when uncomfortable questions are asked in court. Many rapes which are committed by family members are too brushed under the carpet. Also think about what happens in the rural areas.

In 1973, as per the National Crime Records Bureau, 2919 rape cases were registered. The data had risen to 20,262 by 2010 with 1,09,979 women raped in five years in India. Yes, there is no doubt about it- much needs to be changed. The government, the administration and the judiciary have announced a slew of measures for the safety of women. One often wonders – why do the powers that be wake up after a crime is committed. Why can't they take pre-emptive action? And why can't rapists especially in a case like the present one be given death sentence? Rape is as heinous a crime as can be and the doer has no right to live. Human rights activists be damned.

Post Script: On December 23, India Gate and the surrounding areas saw police resorting to water cannons and tear gas to crackdown on protesters. However, both the police and the public will have to maintain restraint. While the administration has to realize that if force is used on peaceful protesters then the anger against the system will only increase. In a democracy, people have a right to voice their opinion and ask for safety and security. On the other hand, the protesters have to be careful of the anti-social elements who may try to hijack their cause.

Amidst all this, it would go a long way in instilling faith in the system if our leaders talked to the common man and allayed their fears. In UK and US, PMs and Presidents promptly address the nation in times of crisis like this. Our leaders have to be seen to be doing enough to make the women feel that they care for them and would amend the laws as soon as possible so that nobody dares to do to another girl what was done to the 23-year old para-medical student.

http://zeenews.india.com/blog/delhi-gang-rape-i-am-the-voice-of-india_5937.html
bepatient thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I want to know what we should do when in times of an incident on the road .

If we are travelling somewhere and there is an accident.  A victim is lying on the road bleeding badly. 
A crowd is gathered around the victim. 

Do we assume that one of the crowd would have taken the necessary steps and so move on ?

Do we stop our vehicle auto / car / bike / get down from the bus to see if they need help ? 

Do we move him / her ?

Do we check the extent of injuries ?

Should we take his family / friends details and call them ?

Do we offer him / her water ?

And then call 108  (ambulance) ?

Please let me know. 
Soni. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: ipkkndfan30

If we are travelling somewhere and there is an accident.  A victim is lying on the road bleeding badly. 

Do we assume that one of the crowd would have taken the necessary steps and so move on ?

Do we stop our vehicle auto / car / bike / get down from the bus to see if they need help ? 

Do we move him / her ?

Please let me know. 

I am not like the cowards who were standing there looking at the poor girl 

I would help the person who ever it is. even if they were raped or just injured i would cover them and then i would take them to the hospital call the police and slap all those who are just standing there shameless
Anurulz thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
u knw, my hospital has registered over 10 rape victims per month in the last year..since i was involved in getting the stats out myself, i know for sure...sum months, there were over 15-20 victims of rape admitted for treatment and counselling..ranging frm ages of 3 onwards..all victims have to be mandatorily referred to psychiatry for counselling and treatment if required..couple of them whom i had counselled in fact had been violated by their fathers and brothers and when they finally got the courage to file a case, their own family members did not believe them..this is the sorry state of affairs in our country..
shruthi2010 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Do we move him / her ?

Please let me know. 

what ever you have asked is correct. but in india we dnt have proper legal system. the moment a person moves to help the victim he/she is victimised. people dnt wnt to get trapped in legal complications. the police picks up the person who helped and charge them. my bro helped a person who met with an accident, the police tried to make him responsible. fortunately the hurt person was conscious so the problem stopped. image the same senario here. what if people wanted to cover the boy r girl and get charged for raping her. this is the pathetic condition of hamara mahan bharat
JiaaRee thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
i dont live in India right now.. BUT I WISH I WAS AND I COULD JOIN THE PEOPLE IN PROTEST AND ACTUALLY HELP! I FEEL SO HELPLESS SITTING IN MY ROOM IN US AND JUST READING ABOUT ALL THIS CRAP. clothes dont give girls character certificate! THAT GIRL NEEDS TO GET JUSTICE!! INDIA HAD ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP! SOMETHING NEEDS TO HAPPEN TO STOP ALL THIS!!😑😑😑
bepatient thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Do we move him / her ?

Please let me know. 

I am actually truly asking what are the correct steps to be taken when such an incident is encountered.  I am all FOR helping the victim.  Not other thoughts on that at all. 

When one imagines his / her own near and dear all the fear of police flies away.  Will we think of the false accusations etc. ,in the case of our near & dear ? No right  !!   So, just think of everyone as your own and do the needful.

I really want to know the correct procedure.  I dont think we should move the victim because we dont know the extent of injuries unless we are doctors. The movement can cause further damage !! 

So, I want someone who is aware to tell us the procedure / steps to follow.  PLEASE .