Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Minionite thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Delhi gang-rape case: Sonia Gandhi meets victim, asks Govt for strict action

New Delhi:  Four of the six men who allegedly gang-raped a young woman on a bus on Sunday night in Delhi have been arrested. The heinous attack on the woman and her friend who was travelling with her has outraged India.
Here are the 10 latest developments in this story:
  1. UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi paid a visit to the Safdurjung Hospital, where she met the 23-year-old victim late on Tuesday night. Earlier, she phoned and wrote to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Home Minister Sushil Shinde. She pushed for a strict punishment for the guilty. (Read full text of Sonia Gandhi's letters)

2. In Parliament, angry opposition leaders asked the government to explain what it's doing to protect women in an increasingly unsafe capital. Sushma Swaraj, BJP leader, said the death sentence must be introduced for rapists. Samajwadi Party MP and actor Jaya Bachchan broke down while discussing the case. (See special feature: Who said what)

3. Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde said that he will ask for the case to be fast-tracked with daily court hearings. He said a special committee has been set up in his ministry to come up with guidelines to offer better protection for women. More policemen will patrol the roads at night, he said. (Read: Angry MPs ask govt for tough action, more security)

4. The victim of Sunday's gang-rape is in hospital in critical condition on a ventilator support system. Her male friend who tried to protect her on the bus but was beaten on the head with an iron rod has been discharged from hospital. (Read)

5. The National Human Rights Commission or NHRC has issued notices to the Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar and Home Secretary RK Singh in connection with the gang-rape. The commission said, "Such acts are grave violation of human rights. The incident has raised the issue of declining public confidence in the law and order machinery in the city, especially, in its capacity to ensure safety of women." The officials have been asked to submit a report to the commission in two weeks. (Read)

6. A man in Delhi approached the police today claiming that he was travelling on the same bus barely an hour before the gang-rape, and was robbed of Rs. 8000 by the men on board before being made to get off the vehicle near the IIT campus in South Delhi.

7. Infosys founder Narayana Murthy told NDTV today, "I heard about the gang-rape of a young girl in Delhi. I felt ashamed to be an Indian. In the capital of our country that such a thing could happen. I only hope that the authorities will ensure that such things will not repeat." Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has urged the Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court to open five special fast-track courts for cases of rape and assault on women. (Read) 

8. The four people arrested today include Ram Singh, the driver of the privately-operated bus and his brother. Ram Singh has refused to participate in an identification parade. (Read) 

9. Two other men are missing; police teams are searching for them in eastern Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Rajasthan, said Delhi's police commissioner Neeraj Kumar. (Read: How police cracked Delhi gang-rape case)

10. Police sources say that when the woman and her friend boarded the bus, the attackers began harassing her about being out at night with a man. Her friend intervened and they began beating him with a rod. She tried to protect him and the men on the bus decided she "should be punished," said a senior police source. (Read)

Minionite thumbnail
Delhi gang rape case: Main accused went berserk after victim bit him

NEW DELHI: Ram Singh, 33, the prime accused in Sunday's gang rape, is a volatile man, known among friends as "Mental," a police source said on Tuesday. During investigation, he is learnt to have told police how he lost control and ended up brutalizing the woman and assaulting her friend.

"When she resisted and bit his hand, he says, he got very angry. Alcohol and the victims' defiance, made him go berserk. He picked up a rod and hit the two everywhere. His accomplices followed suit," a source said.

Ram Singh reportedly started picking up fights at the slightest pretext after the death of his wife two years ago. There's an accident case registered against him and he has admitted to being involved in several other brawls. He had also run away with a girl in his neighbourhood, sources said.

A police officer said the investigating team led by Inspector Anil Sharma had found Ram Singh a cold and remorseless man. "Initially, he denied everything. But when he began to open up, he chose to divulge each detail, with no repentance. Such brutality does not affect him. He tried to destroy evidence by washing the bus with confidence and told his accomplices to not worry, and lie low for some time. He stayed calm when he went and parked the bus in RK Puram, and then took it back to the owner in Noida. The confidence he shows is not of a novice definitely," the officer said.

It seems that even as the gang was brutalizing the woman by turns,Ram Singh had made a plan to cover their tracks. Sources say Ram Singh decided to strip the victims completely before throwing them out of the bus to leave no trace of incriminating semen or blood. He also kept their mobiles and switched them off. Three mobiles — one belonging to the woman and two to her friend — have now been recovered along with some of their clothes.

Although police were able to arrest him with his employer's help, Ram Singh showed his shrewd side again by refusing to undergo the test identification parade on Tuesday.

Police say Ram Singh dropped his accomplices near RK Puram after 10.30pm on Sunday and brought the bus back to Sector 3 in RK Puram. Although his brother Mukesh was initially driving the bus, Ram Singh asked the cleaner, Akshay, to drive it to the garage.

In the morning, all the accused returned to work on his direction. Akshay and Ram Singh plied the bus on its route. Around 9am, when they realized their crime was all over the news, they took the bus to Rohilla Khurd near Sector 62, Noida and washed it thoroughly to remove bloodstains.

But Ram Singh's plan went awry when the bus owner, Dinesh Yadav, called him to drive it back. "Police had asked Yadav to ensure Ram Singh came back with the bus. He was tricked into coming to RK Puram, where we arrested him,'' said an investigating officer.

According to police, the accused used to drive continuously through the day. He would pick up schoolchildren at 8am and drop them before picking office goers from the Malai Mandir area. He brought back students from the south Delhi school at 1pm.

Sources also pointed out that had the school noticed and reported that the bus they had hired had tinted glasses and was driven by an illiterate person involved in an accident, Ram Singh could have been taken off the roads earlier.
Minionite thumbnail

sachinpawar_ADV Don't tell your daughters not to step outside the house at night, instead you should teach your sons better... #DelhiGangrape47 seconds ago  reply  retweet  favorite

1 new tweet

AVISViswanathan @priyankachopra "The best thermometer to the progress of a nation is its treatment of its women." - Swami Vivekananda #DelhiGangrapeabout 1 minute ago  reply  retweet  favorite

1 new tweet

AVISViswanathan @realpreityzinta "The best thermometer to the progress of a nation is its treatment of its women." - Swami Vivekananda #DelhiGangrape3 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

1 new tweet

AVISViswanathan "The best thermometer to the progress of a nation is its treatment of its women." - Swami Vivekananda #DelhiGangrape#jayabachchan4 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

triptikarthik "@DKMahant: Let us request @barackobama to condemn the#DelhiGangrape Maybe THIS will make @pmoindia request the PM to 'act'"17 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

Rupalimk Hope this time some action happens not just the outrage! We need stricter laws, punishment and most imp fast trials. #DelhiGangrape19 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

Rohatgiswati Morbid humor,jz gt this joke 'D way things are gng in Delhi,soon d metro trains will announce,"agla station...molestation";) #DelhiGangrape22 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

AVISViswanathan How can you help #DelhiGangrape? Keep the heat. Keep raising questions. Ping people in government. Seek action. Let's move it!27 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

Rupalimk Praying for the 23 yr old girl who is battling for her life.#DelhiGangrape33 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

SrkDiya I am a girl.I have dreams,hopes,aspirations and i love the country in which i am born.Dont make me hate it. #DelhiGangrape #GirlsUnsafe35 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

ChintanDave10 The police should take stern steps against culprit... Women in Delhi are not at all safe!! #cruel #DelhiGangrape45 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

AkshaySharon #Parliament has made imp decisions on #DelhiGangrape it seems bt the way te implementation is goin to b does nt good so far46 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

SrkDiya How can the people,the government just sit and stare,WE need to stand up against this.Inhumanity at its peak.#DelhiGangrape #shame51 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

AVISViswanathan Jaya Bachchan breaking down is a sign of helplessness that we all share. Have we become 1.2 billion helpless Indians? #DelhiGangrape54 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

varsharanu #DelhiGangrape so now women are minorities? ok Fine atleast discuss us now in parliament but discus!57 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

varsharanu #DelhiGangrape so i want to know wat does #ram singh n mukesh n all oder victims' sisters n mothers think of dem now?59 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

adshh Fast-track courts should be set up to decide on every single rape case that is awaiting trial #DelhiGangrape59 minutes ago  reply  retweet  favorite

varsharanu #DelhiGangrape punish dem publicily n telecast it so dat d thought of conductin dis crime fears every1 ..about 1 hour ago  reply  retweet  favorite

varsharanu #DelhiGangrape a tv reporter was eve teased on d road whr d rape took place.. its caught on tape.. means #delhi will never change??about 1 hour ago  reply  retweet  favorite

PragatiRatti Before I start the day, pray for the girl battling for life. Share the prayer, it may work. #DelhiGangrapeabout 1 hour ago  reply  retweet  favorite

varsharanu #DelhiGangrape i pray for d victim n in tears i say its nt d winter tht has shivered us its the news of d cold blooded actsabout 1 hour ago  reply  retweet  favorite

varsharanu #DelhiGangrape victim put bck on ventilator. docs said hvnt seen a case lik dis bfre. i shiver here in mumbai thinkin wats nextabout 1 hour ago  reply  retweet  favorite

himan4u Please before you attempt to abuse or rape a women, just think 1 sec that the same thing could hapen to your Sistr or Wife #DelhiGangrapeabout 1 hour ago  reply  retweet  favorite

gauravsinha_1 Good morning! Pray for the poor victim & curse the perpetrator! #DelhiGangrapeabout 1 hour ago  reply  retweet  favorite

merenguen Recent reports that even pomeranians dont bark in the streets of delhi for the fear of being gangraped . #DelhiGangrapeabout 1 hour ago  reply  retweet  favorite

JoyetaGoswami In March, a rape victim spoke to Tehelka about the nightmare that never ends. | tehelka.com/you-have-to-li… #DelhiGangrape" how are we this inhumanabout 1 hour ago  reply  retweet  favorite

itzme_felix Terribly disturbed on the delhi incident.. Humanity is certainly heading towards its destruction.! #StopthisShame #DelhiGangrape2 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

chandni28290 #DelhiGangrape Feeling so handcuffed right now! I wish I could do something to change her life.Something.wish I could do more than tweeting!2 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

ChocoLoquacious Wikipedia entry on chemical castration calls it "cruel and unusual punishment". Funny. And unprovoked sexual assault isn't?#DelhiGangrape2 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

MansingBhor This is not 1st time but it needs 2b last time. Women need 2b respected in a same way as our goddess & given pride of place.#DelhiGangrape3 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

AVISViswanathan Before #DelhiGangrape loses 'newsworthiness' we must insist that Home and Law Ministry commit to action taken to protect our women. Urgent!3 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

Shivagya #DelhiGangrape: Is this human nature,the accused should be hung till their deaths,anti rape laws should be as strict as they are in the gulf4 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

veil_insanity Certainly,there is fine line difference between BEING HUMAN and HUMAN BEING ! #DelhiGangrape4 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

SRamphaul ~ @NDTV, if the Indian Parliament & MP's are on the same page about harsh punishments, W*F is anyone waiting for? Hang them#DelhiGangrape5 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

asadshan Just read about #DelhiGangrape, I strongly believe that people like this shall be locked up for life ... How the f do you get away with this5 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

um_dubey Aajtak: Sonia wrote letter 2 HM SHRI ShindeJI on #DelhiGangrape- hope she didn't post it 2 his address- cldnt she tell him in parliament?5 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

Venkat_Kotagiri #DelhiGangrape Fear of law is what expected to be inculcated in the citizens. There should be no way to get away from the crime5 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

ChocoLoquacious So hard to see that madonna-wh**e judgements and male entitlement to judge at very root of this rape epidemic? #DelhiGangrape5 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

kashikaj capital punishment, life imprisonment are not enough for rapists! v should simply CASTRATE dem. let them suffer all der lives #DelhiGangrape5 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

Padmajajoshi1 Lo and behold! Finally, we will get to hear from our women and child development min today. Will visit hospital at 1pm #DelhiGangrape5 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

Explanophaniac Why are you so against drinking, people ask me. Cause then I feel that I fall under the same bracket as these f****s. #DelhiGangrape5 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

SRamphaul ~ I'm sorry @NDTV, sitting in ur news-room & discussing the#DelhiGangrape is awareness, but wake up & do something about this NOW!!!5 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

gigglegirliez Prevention is better than cure; Prevention of heinous act like rape is better than delayed justice by law. #DelhiGangrape6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

bensonrayappa We have people who will arrest us for tweeting or putting up FB updates, but not the rapists. #DelhiGangrape6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

iCountU Bro shame Shame :-x ???? "@Atin09: Thats cheap guysyoutube.com/watch?v=GtVhbG… #DelhiGangrape"6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

rupa_jha Delhi police comissioner asks why media has named delhi as the rape capital...why u think mr commissioner?#DelhiGangrape6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

SelfBeTrue *India wins world cup* "Proud to be an Indian" #DelhiGangrapehappens, proud much? Bolo bhenchod! Beat them up, that's what they deserve.6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

kelzkhaleesi I'm pleased that everyone is standing together! Speaking with one voice to combat this disturbing ordeal frm occurring! #DelhiGangrape!6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

iatul_ I'm IN RT @Nazneen44: How about organizing mass protests? All across India on a same day? #DelhiGangrape #Justiceforwomen @JusticeForWomen6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

anubhav_anzzz A woman brought you in this world. So, you've no right to disrespect her. >:( #DelhiGangrape6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

s_walishah #DelhiGangrape such a Brutal incident that came under my knowledge. Disgusting.. typical Inhuman behavior.6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

s_walishah #DelhiGangrape now we see the effects of what media and mainstream movies show to us, and it we won't protest, It could be Karachi too.6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

Vinayakgaikwad Sonia demands strict action against guilty! Its just 1 case. There are over hundreds which go unnoticed! What about them?#DelhiGangrape6 hours ago  reply  retweet  favorite

Minionite thumbnail
Delhi gangrape: How police traced and arrested the accused

The Delhi Police have arrested some of the accused in the gangrape of 23-year-old paramedical student from Dehradun. Police teams scanned several buses and finally managed to trace the bus in which the crime was committed. During the investigation police also took the help of modern technology and finally caught the gangrape accused.

Firstly the police collected CCTV footage which showed a bus in which the girl was gangraped. The police found the CCTV footage from the outside of a hotel on NH 8. There was a black band and a school's name was written on front of the bus. After getting the clues the police spoke to several private bus transporters. Everyday nearly 40 private buses are parked in RK Puram Sector 3. One of the transporters identified the bus in the CCTV.

After the bus was traced, its driver was identified as Ram Singh. The accused had also looted the victim and her male friend's mobile phones. The girl had one mobile while her friend had two. The police started to send blank message on these three mobile numbers since Monday morning but the mobiles were switched off.

Police used modern technology to trace the private bus in which the crime was committed and the accused.

Finally, the message was delivered when one of the accused switched on the stolen mobile in the afternoon which helped the police locate the phone. The mobile was traced and the police team reached there and arrested one of the accused.

Delhi police arrested three accused - Ram Singh and two others. A total of four accused have been arrested till now while the search is on for two others. All the accused lived in the slums of RK Puram. Bus driver Ram Singh and his brother are the main accused. Mukesh was driving the bus when the girl was raped. The bus is owned by one Pradeev Yadav, who had given his bus to one of the schools on contract. The bus was covered with the curtains and bus crossed three police barricades while travelling for over 8 kilometres on Sunday night.

Minionite thumbnail
Two arrested in Delhi gangrape case, doctors say ' never seen such brutality'

The 23-year-old gangrape victim is battling for life in New Delhi's Safdarjung Hospital. She has severe genital, abdominal and head injuries. Doctors treating her claimed the woman, who is on ventilator support in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the hospital, is "very critical".

Late Monday, police claim to have arrested two accused in the rape case even as doctors claiming they had never seen a victim of sexual assault subjected to "such brutality".

TV reports suggest third arrest has been made in the case.

"We performed several life-saving procedures on her within an hour of her being brought to the hospital around 3am. Her injuries were severe and she has lost a lot of blood," said a senior doctor at the hospital.

The victim had reportedly lost nearly a litre of blood and had severe internal injuries.

"Her intestines are damaged; the blood supply to her intestines has been severed. It looks like she was assaulted by a blunt object as her face also bore injury marks," said the doctor.

The life-saving surgery lasted for more than four hours in the morning. Doctors tried to repair her intestines and other damaged organs and tissues.

"Her injuries are fatal. Though we are pumping her with the strongest of antibiotics possible, sooner or later gangrene is bound to set in. She is in a very bad shape," the doctor added.

The medical staff present at the hospital, when she was brought in, described her condition as "horrifying".

"She was in a pool of blood but conscious. There was blood all over her face. I cannot even imagine the agonising pain she must be in," said a nursing assistant in the hospital who wished to remain anonymous.

Sources in the hospital told Hindustan Times that it seemed at least four people were involved in the crime, as different semen samples were found on her.

The victim, who is a paramedical student, was doing internship at one of the private hospitals in the city.

Twitterati reacts
@namitabhandare -- 4 arrests are not enough. Cancelling the bus owner's licence is not enough. He should be arrested, made culpable too. Need fast-track trial (as in Guwahati), max punishment to deter future crimes against women #DelhiRape

@Snaggletooth_00 -- A separate crime cell in each state, specifically to deal with rape. Separate courts, separate laws. Drastic? Well, it's time.

@Prakash_Sharma -- Of course police can't be everywhere. But there has to be a fear of law. That has to be omnipresent. #DelhiRape

@anushreekejriwa -- Wake up to see the TL filled with a gang rape news in #Delhi. I wish Mayans stand corrected for the sake of us girls in this city.

@iCASumit -- "Gang Rape in Moving Bus in Posh-area of Delhi" Each word of that sentence is a mockery of evolution of human civilisation.

@KhabariGirl-Repeated #Delhirape is a clear cut example on political unwillingness towards law enforcement in Delhi. #DelhiIsNot4Women

@iamvishalchopra-- We touch mothers feet at home and then outrage a girl's modesty outside! #delhiRape

@nehamahendra6 -- Girls should stop 'exposing',eating junk food, speaking and stepping out of their homes. Then rapes will reduce no? #DelhiRape

https://www.hindustantimes.com/Images/Popup/2012/12/18_12_pg1a.jpg
Minionite thumbnail
2012 may hit a new high in rape cases

It was in the year 2005 that Delhi earned the dubious tag of 'rape capital' when the number of rape cases reached a record high — 660 in a year. The police took a number of measures and as a result the cases came down to 452 in 2009. But rape cases are again on the rise and for the first 
time in six years the number has crossed the 600-mark this year.

Till December 15 this year, 635 cases of rape were registered across the city and despite the fact that there are still 15 days left for the month, the number of rape cases are highest in six years.

Cases of molestation have also seen a rise as 653 cases were reported in 2011 against 601 cases in 2010.

Defending their position, the police claimed that in majority of the rape cases the victims are known to the accused and thus, it is difficult to prevent the crime.

"Another important factor about rape and molestation cases is that in most incidents, the accused are known to the victim or her family. In all the rape cases (except 14) reported in 2011, the accused were known to the victim and had committed the crime for the first time," a senior police officer said. 

Another senior officer claimed that in order to enhance confidence of the public, especially women, special measures have been introduced. "These include creation of predominantly women staffed police stations at north and south campuses and deployment of PCR vans near girls colleges," he added.

There is also a women's help desk at every police station and at regular intervals, the DCP — who is also the nodal officer — conducts self-defence training for women.

According to National Crime Record Bureau (NCRB), in 94 per cent of the rape cases across the country, the offenders were known to the victims and 10.6 per cent rape victims were under 14 years, while 19 per cent were teenagers.

-FrozenRain- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
 This is really disgusting..
Does it mean girls cant even move out freely in the country capital or anywhere in the country..

My Blood boils seeing such news..
My heart goers out with the girl..
Hope she gets fine and is able to overcome the trauma caused..

Rupunzale thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
This is unacceptable. These ppl should be publicly castrated...death sentence is a linient punishment for them. What is the Indian government doing?
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
What hurts me is that NOW the government and our parliamentarians are seeing the requirement for a anti-rape law?
seriously?
so many women are daily raped-some in thier own houses by thier own families,no one is spared by those monsters-newborn babies,three year old kids,teenagers,married women even 60 year olds?
will even death penalty be enough to cover up for thier lifes ruined?
women are eve teased,molested and sexually assaulted everyday!
a girl tries to complain and she is killed!
and NOW our great goverment is waking up?🤬

its a sorry state of our country where those frustrated men can do what they want,and the person who has to entirely face the consequences is the girl who has been raped?
why should the woman be victimised and called names-its not her fault!
in our country a girl is blamed for the rape-for wearing the clothes she wants to,living the life she wants too-and she is the one to face the consequences!
while the accused is left scott free-even if someone eve teases a girl they tell her-tease hi kiya na?rape thodi kiya?

there have been SO MANY rape cases and action was not taken even once!-those people are busy circiling trial courts while a life is ruined!

such criminals should be treated with the brutality in which they raped someone
make the law so hard,brutal and strict that no one will dare to rape a woman again!

but even more than passing speeches in out parliament and changing laws 
the first thing that we should change is our mindset and the way the system works

in a country where we worship a woman as SHAKTI(strenght) be in in the form of Durga or Kaali
such acts are absolutely disgusting!

i am simply disgusted by this entire thing!
Minionite thumbnail
Shruti I have a feeling the government isn't waking up to the number of rapes that happen. It's to the public outcry at such a serious public rape. Because this was a public rape in some ways. A girl gets raped on a bus. All of a sudden even public transport isn't safe. The public gets into an uproar and the government needs to do something to calm them down. So they decide to form an anti-rape law. It's their way of trying to avoid the riots that could take place.

Though what I don't understand is where was the government's reaction to those public riots when girls were raped by their own fathers? Where was the government's reaction to those public uproars when a 3-year-old was raped? Why all of a sudden did they wake up now to these public outcries? Maybe they should just let it go away like all the other times. 😡