Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chucknorris thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: -aakanksha-

I think people are exaggerating a little too much over here about Delhi and it's people. Sorry to say but Mumbai lost credibility too when the Keenan and Ruben case happened that too infront of such a large crowd and busy, popular area. In the rehab home for women in Mumbai, set up by the Maharashtra Govt, men used to come, pick up women, rape them. It was a big controversy a few weeks ago. How about that?

Yes Delhi is extremely unsafe. The most unsafe city in India. But to say that its not worth visiting only is saying a little too much. There's too many preconceived notions going on here. There are BPO rules which were made after a case in 2010 especially for the safety of girls and there is an order/procedure to be followed while dropping them home at night. Lakhs of girls and women still stay in Delhi. Go out for the entire night, go to clubs but with the right amount of people. If one goes alone then anywhere is unsafe. People from here care too. Hence all the rallys and outbursts that have been taking place since Tuesday. Walk the roads of Delhi and its filled with guys and girl holding boards, enraged and demanding for justice.
Anyhow, we all have our opinions but I do feel that Delhi isn't totally like what people here are making out to be. I can call US unsafe too based on the no. of shootouts that have happened and nothing has been done about it. I'm sure there can be more happening in future too but doesn't mean I won't visit it only. I'll just make sure to follow all safety procedures and precautionary steps.

You can't really compare the US with India. A good chunk of India is afflicted by violence and strife and most Indians in cities don't even know it (Watch chakravyuh). And its unfair to say that nothing has been done to stop the shootings. There are some very strong arguments against gun control which is why it has not been passed yet. If you are a 711 owner in some ghetto, would you be better off with a gun or without a gun ? The criminals are still going to get their smuggled weapons regardless of gun control. 

But what sane reason does the indian government have to not act on these rapes ?

Edited by silverbug - 11 years ago
ShanUlas thumbnail
Originally posted by: dipali13

100% agree with u👏

well thanks for telling those mumbai events...all i know is that mumbai is safe but then yes not safest as for delhi my friend herself says its terrible...may be she had bad eperience too...i worked in mumbai for three years and nver faced any such problem...may be I was lucky
anku- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I'm not comparing it but merely stating an example. There is no comparison b.w US and India because US is FAR more organised and safe and extremely quick in action. I'll be nuts to compare it to India.
I haven't defended Indian governemt anywhere in my post. I only spoke about Delhi. If I have to state my opinion about Indian government then this space won't be enough bcoz there is too much hate, dislike and complaints against them. I stated already on Page 2, Global topic on this issue that if Congress isn't removed away from the Center then harsh truth and sad reality but things won't change much. Neither do I have much hopes from BJP. We need new parties of, for and by the people. Or maybe a party by someone like Anna Hazare.
chucknorris thumbnail
On a side note, in the wake of sandy shootings, I found It's ridiculous how so many Bollywood people were mocking US gun laws even though most of them carry guns themselves for THEIR protection. Remember when Big B tweeted about sleeping with a  gun under his pillow during 08 terrorist attacks ? Also how about they worry about problems (like this one) in their own backyard first ? Where is the outcry now ?
chucknorris thumbnail
Originally posted by: -aakanksha-

I'm not comparing it but merely stating an example. There is no comparison b.w US and India because US is FAR more organised and safe and extremely quick in action. I'll be nuts to compare it to India.

I haven't defended Indian governemt anywhere in my post. I only spoke about Delhi. If I have to state my opinion about Indian government then this space won't be enough bcoz there is too much hate, dislike and complaints against them. I stated already on Page 2, Global topic on this issue that if Congress isn't removed away from the Center then harsh truth and sad reality but things won't change much. Neither do I have much hopes from BJP. We need new parties of, for and by the people. Or maybe a party by someone like Anna Hazare.

Sadly you are right.. BJP is finished because of inner fights. Not that I support BJP or its policies, but don't we deserve an option other than congress ? We are literally in a single party (or single family rather) dictatorship for the last 60 years.
anku- thumbnail
@Shana: Delhi is HIGHLY unsafe. I am a Delhite, lived here for 22years. So have my friends, my family, my cousin sisters, my friend's families and their cousins. We never ever faced a problem in our entire lifetime here. Maybe it's our luck too. We have to be thankful we haven't faced such a disgusting situation ourselves. There are cases from every part in India like but I will never deny that Delhi is the worst from all. Ashamed to say it but it is and I will not defend it. But at the same time, I am just adding that we're staying here too. So are lakhs of other girls so it's not like not worth visiting only or impossible to stay in.
I am a GUY but I want to comment... I am a Pakistani but I respect INDIA as a nation a lot because Indians are Like Pakistani's who speaks same language, their culture is very similar to us and attitude as well.. I guess one incident does not represent a whole country.. Here in Pakistan, we are facing terrorist attacks, bombings, target killings etc etc but that does not mean that I will start hating my country.. Its a famous phrase "Ek Machli Poore Talaab Ko Ganda Karde Ti He" same situations India as well as Pakistan are facing.. I can bet millions of Indians are now supporting that innocent girl and they are demanding the culprits must be hanged till death.. There is no need to blame whole city or country just for one incident.. We should pray for that girl and her family that Allah should give strength to them because they need our prayers.. There are millions of Ladies and girls living in Delhi so just for one incident, they will leave Delhi? Instead of deciding Delhi is safe for woman or not, you guys must try to do something for that girl who really needs u guys..! !  Edited by Pentaminous. - 11 years ago
Originally posted by: TheBoss

Question is targeted to all, however I would rather emphasis on those living abroad.

Do you no longer feel safe visiting India? Mind you Im not taking just one incident into consideration but this is based on the recent incidents one after another.

The reason Im posing this question is that; I had a wedding trip to attend and I was planning to take my girlfriend with me, she happens to be Caucasian and was looking very forward to attend this big fat Indian wedding however it is very embarrassing when these stories are shown on local television NEWS in Canada and even though she was disgusted but undeterred, however on the other end Im not feeling so enthusiastic to tag her along.

What are your thoughts? Would you go?

* Please be advised Im not trying to disrespect anyone's feelings, this question is important and I thought to ask along, I know our culture does not take criticism in good spirit so please forgive me if Im coming across rude as I didnt mean it.

I don't think you should spoil your wedding party for these thugs...😡 And remember there are still millions of women living in India, just take precautions and stay alert and enjoy your stay...😃
anku- thumbnail
Originally posted by: silverbug

Sadly you are right.. BJP is finished because of inner fights. Not that I support BJP or its policies, but don't we deserve an option other than congress ? We are literally in a single party (or single family rather) dictatorship for the last 60 years.

We DOO. We really really do. People in India and especially in Delhi HATE, legit HATE Congress since a past year or so. Everyone here is against this party now and this is why I am hoping in 2014 there will be a new party. But its effed up really bcoz all these other parties except BJP give their vote to Congress. Don't know what will happen. Only a miracle can save us :/ Maybe a third front or something. But please NOT congress. Urgh, they can take their money and rot in hell.
Originally posted by: Yankees

Is it safe to be in schools in the USA? Or theaters? How about temples?  You can't prevent tragedies and/or encounters with sickos. You really aren't safe anywhere. The only thing one can do is to keep your guard, be it India or the USA.

Whenever we go to India, I have only been there three times, we hang out in groups. It helps.

Yes I agree Why only India?? Dekha jaye tou there is no place in the world which is actually safe ..! Included religious places (Want to add Mosques) are not save here in Pakistan atleast.. The terrorist attacks on the mosques and kills many innocent Muslims.. This topic is for that girl or about the incident so I don't want to add Pakistan's situation over here as it is of no use.. All I want to say is that Nothing is a safe place in the world.. We just pray to God to give us long life and keep us away from all bad deeds !