Book Recommendations by Genres - Page 2

Posted: 11 years ago
Title: The Alchemist
Author:Paolocoelho
Genre:Fantasy
Brief Synopsis:The Alchemist presents a simple fable, based on simple truths and places it in a highly unique situation. And though we may sniff a bestselling formula, it is certainly not a new one: even the ancient tribal storytellers knew that this is the most successful method of entertaining an audience while slipping in a lesson or two. Brazilian storyteller Paulo Coehlo introduces Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who one night dreams of a distant treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. And so he's off: leaving Spain to literally follow his dream.

you have to think u will love this book and then read it ... and trust me you will love it ... it has flaws not like everyone says thats it's perfect .. but some lines ... some magic is in there ... and you'll be finding yourself highlighting those as u go on .. a delight i had reading this one

Title: Veronika Decides to Die: A Novel of Redemption
Author:Paolocoelho
Genre:contemporary/mystery
Brief Synopsis:Twenty-four-year-old Veronika seems to have everything -- youth and beauty, boyfriends and a loving family, a fulfilling job. But something is missing in her life. So, one cold November morning, she takes a handful of sleeping pills expecting never to wake up. But she does -- at a mental hospital where she is told that she has only days to live.

my small cousin was like why ain't she dying ?? well because she will make us know why we have to live !! this one is a page turner ... will make you think of urself as insane while other maybe are not ...

Title:The Darkest Hour (A KGI Novel)
Author:
mayabanks
Genre:
romanticsuspense
Brief Synopsis:
It's been a year since ex-Navy SEAL Ethan Kelly saw his wife Rachel alive. Now he's received an anonymous phone call claiming Rachel is alive. To find her, Ethan will have to doge bullets, cross a jungle, and risk falling captive to a deadly drug cartel that threatens his own demise.

okay you'll love this if u into Seals and bad boys ... and the woman herself has her insecurities but can handle herself ... teeenagers r recommended most who go all gaga over muscles and bad boys ... !!!
TitleThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (series)
AuthorAlexander McCall Smith
Genre: Detective, Mystery novel
Brief Synopsis: When Ramotswe decides to use the money her beloved father left her to open the first ever Ladies' Detective Agency in Botswana, everyone is skeptical. "Can women be detectives?" her only assets are a tiny white van, two desks, two chairs, a telephone, an old typewriter, a teapot, and three teacups.

My comments: My sister bought it for me & once i start reading it couldn't put it down 😆 this book show you the beauty of Africa resolves around a self made women who starts a first ladies detective agency ever in their town this story also touches her childhood days, her first love & the cases she solve & when she stuck 😆 the best thing i like about this book is there are no softwears & medical examinations like finger prints,DNA test were used to solve cases.This book later contineous in series but you should read this one.❤️
Title: Pride and Prejudice

Author: Jane Austen
Genre:Romance/Ccmedy
Brief Synopsis: Pride and Prejudice is the story of Mr. and Mrs. Bennet and their five unmarried daughters.- Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty and Lydia Bennet. The main concern of Mrs. Bennet's life is to see that all her daughters are married, preferably to men with large fortunes. Love is soon in the air for one of the Bennet sisters, when Mr. Charles Bingley, a wealthy gentlemen from the city along with his friend the proud Mr Darcy arrive in their neighbourhood. For the Bennet sisters many trials and tribulations stand between them and their happiness, including class, gossip and scandal. 
My Rating: 6 out of 5 stars!
My Comments: This book doesn't really need a review, I mean it's a classic! It is one of the best books I've ever read. It is a perfect social comedy. The dialogue is both believable, natural, and yet ten million times more interesting, witty and articulate than anything real people say. The characters are so well-drawn, interesting, and deep that you get drawn into the story from the first page. Elizabeth and Fitz are both smart, witty, self-confident and good. Austen could not have written them better. This one has made it onto my list of All Time Favorite novels and is truly one of the classics that lives up to its billing. So if you love romance and are a fan of classic literature (like me 😳) then turn off your PC/laptops and go read it NOW!
P.S If you want you can watch the movies/Tv shows based on this novel beforehand. I did it that way and it actually helped me to follow the timeline of the book better. 
Edited by tehreem. - 11 years ago

Title:  Finding Grace
Author:  Sarah Pawley
Genre:  Romance & Historical fiction
Brief Synopsis:  It's a story of a bold, intelligent, and willful young girl who goes against her family and runs away before she's forced into a marriage. She goes to live with her brother and sister-in-law in the city. Here begins her journey of discovering who she is and a possible romance with a handsome neighbor, however, neither is without scars and the past is bound to catch up to them.
Comments: Even though it's set in the early 1900s (I think), it's more of a romantic book than historical fiction.  I enjoyed reading it very much, even though it's has a few mentions of religion and praying. It's not over the top as I know some books can be and are pretty annoying. This one definitely isn't. 
Title:  Tuesdays with Morrie
Author:  Mitch Albom
Genre:  Non-fiction
Brief Synopsis:  This is a book about Albom's time spent with his professor who was dying from Lou Gehrig's disease 16 years after graduation. Albom would visit Morrie every Tuesday for 14 Tuesdays and talk about Morrie's life experiences, current events, Albom's time at the university. 
Comments: It's a great book. Professor's stories are inspiring and are about various topics we always wonder about - happiness, love, forgiveness, acceptance.
Edited by -Mystery- - 11 years ago

Title:  The Hunger Games Trilogy
Author:  Suzanne Collins
Genre:  Science Fiction / Young Adult Literature
Brief Synopsis:  Katniss Everdeen lives with her mother and sister in District 12 of Panem, post-apocalyptic North America. All 12 districts are controlled by the tyrannical Capitol. Every year a boy and a girl between the ages of 12 and 18 are chosen from each of the districts to compete till death in The Hunger Games, which is televised. 
Comments: The theme is shockingly brutal. When I first heard about it, I never wanted to read it. Finally I caved and boy, I'm glad I did. Yes, it is violent, but the whole series is so much more.. there are so many themes that make you think about true freedom, love, forgiveness, selflessness, survival. 
Title:  Graceling
Author:  Kristin Cashore
Genre:  Fantasy / Romance
Brief Synopsis:  Katsa has a skill in violence - she can kill a man with her bare hands.  She's one of the Gracelings. In this land, some rare people are born with a grace, or a very extreme skill. She's a niece of a king and hence has been his personal terror machine because of her grace.  When she meets Prince Po, she starts discovering things about herself and the kingdom she never knew before.  
Comments:  Very unique concept and you can't help but fall in love with Po :)
Title:  Elsewhere
Author:  Gabrielle Zevin
Genre:  Fantasy / Young Adult
Brief Synopsis:  Liz is a 15 year old girl who dies in a bicycle accident and wakes up to find herself traveling on a ship. Here she meets new people and discovers so many new things about life after death.
Comments: We all wonder at one point or another if there's anything after death or is it just plain old the end. This is a very interesting take on just that... what happens after we die?