Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Jan50 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
In this case capital punishment is justified because the victim died. The cause is entirely the accused. He did what he did to get perverted pleasure and will be equated to pre meditated cruel cold calculative murder. True this capital punishment is lenient. But we being in a civilized society can not do any thing else like sodomising him and doing the same thing that he did to the poor victim.Yes capital punishment is the solution. In fact all the people involved including the driver should be hanged.
veekay07 thumbnail
Guys, we all are justifiably angry and emotional about the atrocities on women, but can we be practical about this as we are sending this to the Supreme-Court judge: suggestions of crude castration (personally I would support that!) will not gain traction with the law makers :P
My suggestions:
1. Reforming the Police Act-
- a. Speed up the investigative process and evidence collection through lesser documentation work and use of modern technology
-b. At least 2 women inspector required in every police chowk for registering cases related to women atrocities.
-c.  Strict enforcement of FIR registration in all the cases.
-d. Creation of database of men convicted of rapes/molestation/ domestic violence to make public aware of rapists and molesters in their area.
-e. Police to file charge-sheets in matters of rape within 1 month of the occurrence of the crime. If additional time needed, police will have to explain the reason of delay to the judicial magistrate and take special permission for the same.

2. Judicial Reforms-
-a. Set up of separate fast/ rapid courts at district level throughout the country for dealing with atrocities on women.
-b. Setting up of an independent division/board which will help the victimized women in matters related to filing of case, judicial procedures etc.
-c. Changing the definition of 'rape' to 'sexual harassment' which would include rape, molestation, groping, eve-teasing, abuse etc.  Punishment for groping and eve-teasing should be increased to a maximum of 10 yrs.
-d. Punishment for rape to be increased to life-time without parole (from the current 10 year maximum).
-e. Maximum punishment should be death in cases of violent rapes/all gang rapes/ child sexual abuse. If the crime does not warrant death sentence, life imprisonment with/ without chemical castration to be explored.
andv thumbnail
Thanks Payal for posting this topic.

I understand the rage against the rapists which I personally also feel, but we need to be practical when it comes to suggesting a punishment that can be added to the law. Public castration will not be acceptable in the judicial system and hence will not be taken seriously. This kind of petition asking for public opinion is our chance to voice ourselves and thus in turn make a desirable change in the law. I request all of you to please not waste your vote and suggest practical punishments for the culprit.

My opinion in the matter is that rape is not only a physical torture but it leaves a mental scar in the victims mind for her life. Its shameful that in spite of being at the receiving end the society still continues to passively harass the victim every day. Hence when the victim has to suffer all her life why should the culprit be given only a 10 year penalty? When the rapist did not show any mercy why should there be any room for him to be shown any mercy by the law? Him committing the crime is not only out of excessive sexual urges but also due to his perverted intentions which prompts him to commit rape not only to an older woman but in some cases to a minor too. This is criminal and cannot be controlled either by his 10 year imprisonment or making him impotent.

Hence in my opinion the death sentence without the room for any mercy petition, to such criminals is the closest justice that can be got for the victim given our democratic set up. Instilling fear in the minds of such potential rapists by increasing their punishment will help reduce the rate of such crimes.

I would also suggest that the culprits identity and crime be made public specially in his neighborhood so that he also faces public humiliation.

I wold also suggest that the identity of molesters and eve teasers be made public specially around their neighborhood so that the women can be at their guard.

A police constable should be present on all buses and trains during night and early morning hours.

Originally posted by: andv

I wold also suggest that the identity of molesters and eve teasers be made public specially around their neighborhood so that the women can be at their guard.

I agree. Any man who assaults a woman verbally or physically should be publicly named and shamed. Posters should be put up in the locality where he lives - BEWARE! THIS MAN IS A MOLESTER - and a fine running into lakhs. Imagine if there is one such example in each neighbourhood how it will act as a deterrent to others. It will probably prompt parents to teach their boys that women are not objects, if only because of the fear of law.

Not just rape laws, laws against molestation need to be strengthened.

@payalibm: Thanks for posting this. If the volume of e-mails helps, then maybe we can even individually send mails to the Justice Verma Commission?

1. Any crime against a woman should be made into a non-bailable offense.
2. Agree with veekay that punishment for rape should be increased to a life-time without parole.
3. Punishment for molestation under Section 294 IPC should be at least a year and under Section 509 IPC at least three years.

Police also really need to be sensitised about dealing with such cases. It should be mandatory for them to undergo repeated training for this.

You know, laws can be changed but it's the implementation that matters. That's where we women can help by being aware of the law and by reporting every instance, whether with us or others, of molestation.  Here's a short synopsis of existing laws:

https://twitter.com/shaheenb/status/285786675395846144/photo/1
Edited by TheRedQueen - 11 years ago
shinningstar thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
- age of minor be reduced to 14 
- trails so be done in 3 months-6 months.
- no bail for rape accused
- no parole for rapists/accused
- no mercy petition for rapist
- stoned/permanent castraziation  and then hanged publicly once proven guilty.
- gender sensitization and laws be made compulsory to be taught in schools.
- victim 's statements and interrogation be video recorded so that cops do not cross their limits when questioning..since some questions will need to be asked but the way its asked is the point. also in case victim turns hostile or dies or is killed ...evidence is still preserved.
- lady officers and victim's lawyer should be present when questioning is done to the victim.
- online fir registration.
- cameras be installed on cross roads to stop all kinds of crime.
- any cop refusing to write the fir should be dismissed from duty immediately.
- separate section in police for rape cases.
- when medical examination is done for the victim a copy be given to victim as well as police and evidence samples (semen) have to be restored till case is closed and verdict given.
- option for double medical examination of the victim be there in 2 separate hospitals.
- person examining the victim should not be related in any way to the victim to avoid conspiracy ( it does happen these days ) .
- doctor found tampering the evidence should be barred, license cancelled  and sentenced to jail for 5 years.
- any person found tampering the evidence should be imprisoned for 5 yrs.
- any person making vulgar comments on women ( one or many ) on being proven be sent to 3-6 months jail ( politicians seem to make its style about commenting on girls' character  )
- caught eve-teasing 6 months jail 

pan cards details online should reflect if the person has been caught tampering or barred or jailed etc.

pan card be made more like complete detail nos. so person crime records too be reflected that way person eveteasing /molesting etc will have a control else else they may remain unemployeed.
Edited by shinningstar - 11 years ago
aasha thumbnail
Originally posted by: dolly_07

In my opinion the rapist should made stand in public with his hands tied nude...anywhere and all the peoples crossing from their should be handed sticks ..every human being ...and should be compulsory that everybody should hit him how much ever they want..wherever they want to hit him... ..no medical attention should be given to him...then cut off his penis...and left to die...this should be every rapist punishment...and our laws should be more restrict...and Every city should have special police stations with only women police officers so victims can go there and file her complaints..because in most of the cases girls are afraid of going to police stations and culprits go free and rape other girls...

I agree that this kind of punishment has to be given. But i am not sure if indian gov will ever try to do this. So as the first step towards change atleast they should hang them in public. This is the least they can do.
IndigoBlues thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
A lot of people are suggesting one horrible punishment after the other. But it doesn't solve the problem. Here's why

• If the punishment is increased to death sentence it will only make judges more reluctant to hand it out because if the evidence is not concrete they wont feel the motivation to send a guy who is 'possibly' innocent to the gallows.🤔
  • Also, if punishment is increased to death sentence, the rapists will just kill the victim so that her voice is silenced and she is unable to point out the perperator.
  • Castration is an effective option, but it doesn't solve the problem of mentality.
  • Also, we are living in a civilized society. If we resort to mob justice to solve our problems, we will also become like animals. Also, it will result in anarchy, where everybody resorts to mob justice for solutions and there will be a collapse of government and law and order solution.I know you're thinking 'If we're in a civilized society, then how is that rapes happen?" But two wrongs don't make a right!

What we really need is not stricter laws but stricter law enforcement

• Legislators who make demeaning comments on women should be probed and suspended if they are found guilty.
  • Marital rape should be criminalised. The laws should be of help to all women, not just under 18 year olds.'Eve-teasing' should be changed to 'Sexual harassment.
  • There should not be words like violating the 'modesty' of a woman because that just makes police officers think they can decide whether the woman is modest or not.🤔It should be changed to something more appropriate.
  • Faulty tests like 'two-finger' tests to determine the victim's promiscuity should be abolished because they only result in trauma for the victim.
  • 'Stalking' should be criminalised.
  • Though I don't advocate death penalty, I think the sentence should be increased to 20-25 years.
  • Police officers should be offered more incentives. They work for hours on VIP duty and they are only offered biscuits. Their working conditions are pathetic. As a result they become desensitized over a period of time. They need to be offered counselling along with gender-training so that they can retain compassion while on the job.
  • All sexual offences should be non-bailable.

In a way death penalty is too easy.😆 And publicly humilating them will serve no purpose except to turn us into a bunch of murderers too. Its best to give them rigorous life imprisonment without any bail.

This is just my opinion. I know many of you are angry right now so you will disagree😆. But practically this is the best solution.
Edited by IndigoBlues - 11 years ago
MS-meghasharma thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
give them capital punishment including the minor also and amend the law firstly on top priority.
Before they r hanged they should be made impotent forever and should be tortured everyday till they themselves plead for death and then  hang them on india gate in front of the entire country.
preity_d thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
 I want the rapists to have most humiliating and horrible punishment
evryday cut the organ gradually... and don't give him food...
tell him to earn his own food

StayStrong thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
rape punishment in Yemen:
I am sure it helps,but we can modify it,by blackening their face and they should be stripped off their clothes,instead of a carpet lay them on pointed iron wires generally used near factories or industries,cut each and every part of their body everyday starting from their nails and keep 'em alive so they can beg for death.

People 'm not an Indianbut does that matter?
I am a human,a girl and that's enough,since I have read and heard about this rape there's not a single day or a moment I dont think about the fighter girl and what she went through,what I am suggesting, please consider it as a voice against this horrible crime.
This is the least I can do to get the girl justice,because I am related to her with a tie which is above all the relations and ties and that tie is called 'humanity'.

Mallu
Edited by M.Hurr - 11 years ago