TOI: I am blessed with a good memory: 5CR winner

Minionite thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

I am blessed with a good memory: KBC 5 crore winner

I am blessed with a good memory: KBC 5 crore winner
Sunmeet Kaur Sawhney is the first woman to have won '5 crore on Kaun Banega Crorepati, but she is not exactly new to showbiz.

She is actor Manmeet Singh's wife (remember the sardarji who played the caterer in Band Baaja Baaraat?). "I am on top of the world. I had never imagined that I would go on to win this big an amount on the show," she told us. The 12th class pass says that she went with a target of winning '25-50 lakh, but gradually her confidence grew. Sunmeet suffered from a life-threatening tumour and depression which followed the disease before she thought of appearing on the show. All through this period, she was supported by her husband, who took a sabbatical to look after her. Excerpts:

On winning the 5 crore jackpot
I am on top of the world. There are no words to describe my happiness. Initially, my target was winning '25 to 50 lakh, but when I started playing, my confidence grew.

On being the only woman contestant to win jackpot
I hope to be an inspiration for many other women in the country. At this time, when the country is talking about women empowerment, my advice to all women is to be mentally and physically strong.

On what she plans to with prize money
I still haven't had the opportunity to sit down and discuss with my family about what we need to do. However, I have decided to dedicate one portion of the money to some good cause and another portion will be for a religious activity.

On preparing for KBC
Many people feel that those who haven't got the required education cannot do well on such a show. But if you have the desire to do well, nothing can stop you. I educated myself by reading on the internet. Also, my daughters helped me a lot while I was preparing for the show. I am blessed with a good memory, so if I read something, it stays in my mind for a long time.

On surviving a tumour
It was around four-and-a-half years back that I was diagnosed with a tumour in my uterus for which I had to undergo a major surgery. Six months after the surgery, I was on complete bed rest and it took me close to a year to recover fully. During this time, we faced a lot of hardships. My husband didn't take up any acting assignments so that he could look after me. Prior to the surgery, I was running a tiffin service, which I had to shut down due to my illness. I went into depression during this time and it was my husband who advised me to start reading books and widen my knowledge. In order to help me, one of my friends started sending her son for tuitions to me and then, gradually, other children started coming in. It was during this period that I started trying for KBC.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ghuggi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
God tests you and then rewards you accordingly!