Debate Mansion

Debate : Who is Respnsible? - Page 23

salta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
This content was originally posted by: -zozo-

ok so does that mean you'd  actually wear a bikini in public? ... No I don't think so... did I say that if u don't wear an Abia it's a bad thing? I reckon I didn't ... CIVIL... Is that a bad thing? Why would you rather run around looking like a s**t for the lack of a better term? Wear whatever you like that does not mean you go around flaunting yourself in a mini skirt which if u bend down in, it emphasizes EVERYTHING personally my father would never let me wear such clothing,.. And nor do I want too... 

Your right wear whatever u want... But remember and keep this in mind this output you represent yourself with is the little thing which gives people a reason more importantly the media to say such things like "she asked for it" even if she didn't... This may sound harsh but it's true and this is coming from a girl... Oh and BTW I'm not saying that its all the girls fault...guys with their lack of intelligence make the situation problematic as well... 

Babe, why does it matter to u whether i wear a bikni or a burqa in public? what is a s**t?first define that then i'll answer to your question. and ur father may not allow, ur problem, why you have to judge everyone on the basis of your standards?
and basically what you said next, I am against the same thing, and won't submit to these stupid ideas.I had never took this bullshit, and wont take it.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DonnaHarvey thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Everyday sexism is so ingrained in us that we accept it as a foundation of our society and this problem is universal.
I am visiting England for the summer and I found this project and corresponding website http://www.everydaysexism.com/ I learned that I am not alone in these subtle comments, jeers and assaults. Everyone feels them at some point. I have read stories from almost all the Western countries. They all cry inequality and lack of understanding by others. If you say what happened, friends and family laugh it off as normal. This is only the beginning of acceptance toward prejudice.
Then, there is the stigma attached to mental illness. People sweep it under the rug. If we know someone has criminal or dangerous tendencies or stresses and triggers that may push them over the edge, we tend to overlook the signs. Anti-social, borderline personality disorders are not consider as real as cancer or heart disease. Mentally ill people linger around without treatment far too long and then they explode. People are victimized, raped, killed because of our inability to provide resources and help for these preventable assaults.
Shifting focus to the victim not the rapist. Damini was out with a man at night. How dare she be a successful woman? How dare she choose personal freedom over societal restrictions? She must have dressed provocatively. This is unacceptable and still widely accepted.
(Barely there) Punishment is in focus but preventative measures are not even a topic of debate. People talk about hanging and castration for the rapists but we forget ,more often than not, it is someone you know who commits the heinous crime. Family and friends are the predators and reported cases will dwindle down when the victim will be discouraged and ostracized for ruining the life of their predator with a harsh sentence rather than the other way around. Preventative measures can and should include sexual education programs. Providing healthy outlets to relief aggression. Teaching men to become allies to their female peers. Teaching women to become conscious of what counts as assault and what to do about it. 
As far the movie sex scenes go, I think it is acceptable to include those scenes (art imitates life). However, the creatives need to be mindful not to endorse non-consensual violence under the pretense of love.

Public Rapes Outrage Brazil, Testing Ideas of Image and Class

RIO DE JANEIRO — The attacks have stunned this city. In one, an assailant held a gun to the head of a 30-year-old woman while raping her in front of passengers on a bus as the driver proceeded down a main avenue. In another, a 14-year-old girl from a hillside slum was raped on one of Rio's most famous stretches of beach.

In yet another case, men abducted and raped a working-class woman in a transit van as it wended through densely populated areas. The police failed to investigate, and a week later the same men raped a 21-year-old American student in the same van, pummeling her face and beating her male companion with a metal bar

In some ways, Brazil's experience echoes recent events in India and Egypt, where horrific attacks have prompted outrage and soul searching, revealing deep fissures in each society. In Brazil, it has unleashed a debate about whether the authorities are more concerned about defending the privileged and Rio's international image than about protecting women at large.

It is perhaps paradoxical that the issue has popped up so forcefully in Brazil, a country that has gone to great lengths to protect and promote women's rights. There are special cars for women to ride on trains to avoid being groped, as in parts of India. There are special police stations here staffed largely by women. And there is a general view that holds women as equal, fully capable of excelling in even the most powerful posts.

But while Rio's authorities have succeeded in lowering rates of certain violent crimes, like homicides, the recent rapes have focused new attention on the dangers of riding Rio's buses and vans, an essential part of life for many residents.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/25/world/americas/rapes-in-brazil-spur-class-and-gender-debate.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

How Similar are the Brazil and Delhi Bus Rapes?

Brazil, with its raucous carnival culture, and socially conservative India have both seen brutal rapes on buses in recent months.