DOTW: A woman's autonomy in a chauvinist society

Posted: 11 years ago
A woman's autonomy in a chauvinist society

Dignity! Independence! Defiance and control... have become synonyms to Ratan - a woman who cries inside yet her spirit is made of steel. In the time of her need, today the people who could have been her strength are all looking for an opportunity to break her... no one will anyways stand by her yet they want to bend her!

To begin with there was Bansuri... the next door aunty who provides fodder for the rumour mills. She's insecure, jealous and has a problem with Ratan for no apparent reason. Ratan is the wife of a man who was once on a superior position than her husband's and she somewhere still caries that grudge! To me her envy is rooted in her insecurity. Yet its sad that being a woman, she cannot see the pain of another woman. And instead of being a support she's trying all she can to create more obstacles in her life.

Then came the sick Bhaktavar! Eager to take advantage of Ratan's emotional state and her loneliness! He's a pervert. A lecher... who thinks a woman is nothing without a man... and if she's alone and steps out of her house to work, well she's available at his disposal and when she dares to disagree, he becomes adamant to pull off all the pillars of her support! A sick chauvinist!

Then came in Gurpreet... the sulking aunty... who listens to everyone, wallows in self pity and has constructed her own miseries. How would she read someone else's pains?

In more than one ways these represent the stinking section of our male dominating, chauvinist society, who abhor the notion of women being able to stand along the side of the men and enjoy equal rights and status. To say that we have entered in 21st century is one thing but the stinking mentality remains still the same.

What should a woman do then? If Sampooran betrayed Ratan, he left her, it's still her who's bearing the brunt... to such an extent that she's come to believe, she's the one who was wrong... why is Ratan to suffer for the mistake she never did and yet be mocked by the society?

fab topic to discuss Sonia
will be back πŸ˜‰
Fantastic topic Sonia, and very well said.

I will be back also. 😊
Wonderful topic ..You wrote what i wanted to say ..You write so well ..I agree with you ..This is the present scenario ..Anyway women have always been responsible mostly for other women's bad fortune ...When they shall stick to her they go against her

Actually somewhere both Bansuri and Gurpreet are jealous because they somewhere aspire to be as strong as Ratan,but they can not be like her .

Ratan is an inspirational character , thank God CVs have shown us a strong woman character with realistic approach ..
Edited by XVIRUS - 11 years ago
A great topic TM and very well laid out.  I see things like this:
In a society where being married is the be all and end all of everything women like Ratan are viewed as the enemy by some women.  They do not see her as a woman who has had an injustice done against her they see her as a strong, single woman who has her eyes on their husbands and is a threat to their marriage.  Nevermind that she was left abandoned by her husband to fend for herself and look after two young children. To them every woman is a threat and is more dangerous to them  But wait there.  This is also the case in other societies too as a single woman is left out in the cold by her married friends for fear that will wreck their marriage, but I just wanted to give this as an example.  In the workforce it is actually much harder working for a female boss than it is for a male boss as the same insecurities you see here are played out in many offices where, jealousy of looks, position, ability and even in some cases favouritism are rife.

Now lets move to the attitude of the men.  Here is an insult to their masculinity.  A woman who dares to stand with them and earn a living.  With no man to support her she is seen as easy prey.  She may be just as able as them yet they only think of her audacity to be seen in public. To be getting on in life, doing ok all without a man.  It is this village mentality that I can't help but liken to the mating habits of a male duck.  I apologise for having this thought but I can't put it in a different way.  They can not bear to see a woman on her own and will either cast aspersions on her character, morals or worse her sexuality.  If this fails they will make a move on her such is their mindset.

Having written this second paragraph I re read the first paragraph and see why women like Bansuri are how they are.  I don't condone it.  But is it the fault of the woman for feeling in this way and in turn betraying the sisterhood by not standing with a woman such as Ratan.

Topic maker if I have deviated from your original points, I am sorry.  I just wrote it as I saw it.
Great topic & very well said...πŸ‘
That was very well written. 

Unfortunately we all know someone like Bansuri in real life and it is also true that it is women that have to pay for mens mistakes. I'm so glad that Ratan is being portrayed as a strong independent woman, there are not enough of them on tv. 

Men may be stronger physically but women are stronger in every other way. 
Originally posted by XVIRUS

Wonderful topic ..You wrote what i wanted to say ..You write so well ..I agree with you ..This is the present scenario ..Anyway women have always been responsible mostly for other women's bad fortune ...When they shall stick to her they go against her

Actually somewhere both Bansuri and Gurpreet are jealous because they somewhere aspire to be as strong as Ratan,but they can not be like her .

Ratan is an inspirational character , thank God CVs have shown us a strong woman character with realistic approach ..

@Bold 

So true! It takes a lot to be someone like Ratan! For the women whose world is confined to her own house with her hears stuck to the doors and walls of others they will always envy anyone who would ever profess an individuality that is not marred by opinions and circumstances! 

She's one of the kind on television today! 
Originally posted by Xarina

A great topic TM and very well laid out.  I see things like this:
In a society where being married is the be all and end all of everything women like Ratan are viewed as the enemy by some women.  They do not see her as a woman who has had an injustice done against her they see her as a strong, single woman who has her eyes on their husbands and is a threat to their marriage.  Nevermind that she was left abandoned by her husband to fend for herself and look after two young children. To them every woman is a threat and is more dangerous to them  But wait there.  This is also the case in other societies too as a single woman is left out in the cold by her married friends for fear that will wreck their marriage, but I just wanted to give this as an example.  In the workforce it is actually much harder working for a female boss than it is for a male boss as the same insecurities you see here are played out in many offices where, jealousy of looks, position, ability and even in some cases favouritism are rife.

I agree with you here, most women (pardon me ladiesπŸ˜•πŸ˜†) are insecure lot. But i guess their insecurity stems out from the long running traditions and belief of women being secondary to men! Choices, discrimination and gender biases affects the psyche of every woman in one way or the other. While some joins the race to prove herself superior by demeaning other fellow souls some are left high and dry to fetch for themselves. Strange is the way of our society, if she would have begged for support, she would have been termed a parasite and now when she's standing on her own she's regarded as a threat! 

A jealous soul speaks a language of its own! If i can't be independent than why she? what makes her better than me... for all my nobility and indulgences oh she doesn't even reach my shoulders!  And then begins the race to step on the back of this potential threat!

Now lets move to the attitude of the men.  Here is an insult to their masculinity.  A woman who dares to stand with them and earn a living.  With no man to support her she is seen as easy prey.  She may be just as able as them yet they only think of her audacity to be seen in public. To be getting on in life, doing ok all without a man.  It is this village mentality that I can't help but liken to the mating habits of a male duck.  I apologise for having this thought but I can't put it in a different way.  They can not bear to see a woman on her own and will either cast aspersions on her character, morals or worse her sexuality.  If this fails they will make a move on her such is their mindset.

@bold πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£ as much as it stinks you nailed it!

The chauvinists! Its like a blow to their ego! How oh how is she standing all mighty and gay in my arena πŸ˜‘ She's on fields, sure she's available or is weak enough to be taken advantage of and be exploited! And when she denies... how dare she! 

Having written this second paragraph I re read the first paragraph and see why women like Bansuri are how they are.  I don't condone it.  But is it the fault of the woman for feeling in this way and in turn betraying the sisterhood by not standing with a woman such as Ratan.

I firmly believe that if we wish to change the situation, its the woman in the first place who needs to be liberated... of not only her confinement at homes but also the confinement of her thoughts... she's a mother, a sister, and until a woman stands for herself and womanhood... men like Bhaktavar will continue to roam freely on the roads gawking for the next victim, he could lay his hands on!🀒

Topic maker if I have deviated from your original points, I am sorry.  I just wrote it as I saw it.

Loved the points you mentioned... it was awesome reading your take πŸ€—
Originally posted by neelanjanasingh

Great topic & very well said...πŸ‘

Thanks πŸ˜³