Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hopper_ocean thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
The twist is interesting. ... thanks karthika. Yet to watch this episode.  Not needed now with the detailed updates from u 👍🏼
Karthikka thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Actually Ratna, I like the serial. The sets are grand and they had taken so much effort with the costumes. 

What else can you expect from a director like Suresh Krssna?

I feel 1 hour is too long though. 🥱
Karthikka thumbnail
EPISODE 18

Kamsa is restless. He is pondering over Narada's question. Narada had given him an eight-petal lotus and asked him to pick which is the first and which is the eighth. Kamsa is unable to do so. Suddenly a bat comes in front of him and taunts and asks him when he is going to come and see him. Kamsa, enraged, jumps on his horse and follows the bat.

He ends up in a cave of bats and then sees a dark, evil looking old man (EOM) sitting on a throne. The EOM taunts Kamsa again, that he is going to die at the hands of the eighth child of Devaki. Kamsa gets angry and asks him what is the game he is playing at? EOM says he is not playing a game, he is the only soul in the whole world that is concerned over Kamsa, which is why he warned Kamsa against his death. He asks Kamsa whether he knows his heritage. Kamsa says he is a Yadava to which the EOM cackles. Flashback: Padmavati, Ugrasena's queen, goes to the river for her bath. The EOM (at that time EYM) takes a fancy to P, transforms himself into King Ugrasena and has his evil way with her. Then he reveals himself. Horrified, P curses the foetus, saying that it would be killed by the eighth son of her daughter. EYM disappears. The real King Ugrasena comes and P tells him what happened. Ugrasena consoles his wife (aww) and takes her away. Flashback ends. (In the actual Mahabharata, the man who seduces Padmavati disguised as Ugrasena was a gandharva. Kamsa was a demon in his previous life also). Flashback ends.

EOM tells Kamsa that he is an asura and he must do everything to stop his death. So Kamsa rides to Devaki's house and sees the couple - Vasudeva and Devaki - playing with their son. He gives her a lotus and asks her the same question Narada did  - could she say for sure which is the first petal and which is the eighth petal? Naturally she can't and he takes the baby away. 😭 Meanwhile Devaki and Vasudeva are arrested and imprisoned.

Narada wants to pay homage to Vishnu and both Lakshmi and Bhoomidevi are angry with him for making Kamsa change his mind. Vishnu tells them that the babies who are killed are deiva children and will return to heaven and they need to die if he is to be reincarnated as the eighth child of D and V. Both Goddesses are mollified.

Back in Hastinapura, Pandu returns with much pomp and pageantry after successfully conquering kingdoms. Dhri is not happy and Sakuni encourages that. Satyavati says that Vidura must be married and Vidura says he has a girl in mind. Satyavati then promotes his mother, Suvai, the maid to a status equal to that of the royal family. Suvai is emotional and cries. Satyavati meanwhile is very worried about Dhr's reaction to Pandu's pending coronation.

Episode closes with Sakuni planning to kick Pandu out of Hastinapura. 😡
hopper_ocean thumbnail
have to agree one hour is way long lolz. Thanks for the updates.

Looks like saguni is all in action now. Waiting to see whats going to happen next week.

Karthikka thumbnail
Yeah, Ratna, difficult to keep track. I was typing this on my mobile as I was watching (reminded me of a very good friend who used to do 14 updates a day whilst watching the serials. Yes, she had so much free time... 😆)  and I lost it...grrr...but luckily I have a fairly good memory.

Sakuni is the main cause of the war but there is a school of thought that he was actually aiming for the destruction of the Kauravas. Duryodhana had imprisoned his family and he plotted to take revenge. Apparently his sole motive was to pretend to support the Kauravas in their devious games and incur the wrath of the Pandavas, and by doing so, would force the Pandavas to destroy the Kauravas. Interesting theory.

Well, let' s  see.

hopper_ocean thumbnail
I know which friend you are talking abou 😆 Lolz

This serial is way different from the daily crying ones we see. I wish we have more of this kind of story. Tamil serials normally i LISTEN not watch during my working hours 😆 English ones i watch them at home.  You seem to remember the character names well. I am kind of weak in tamil history lolz. This kind of serial is good for new generations as to keep them on track of our old histories.

Karthikka thumbnail
I love reading and I love knowing about our culture. When we were growing up, we were so crazy over Amar Chitra Katha books. At that time there was a bookshop in Brickfields and we will pester our mum to get the books which were in comic form. Then I introduced my brothers to them and now my nephews are reading them.

Thank God for Internet and Google. 😆

Hahaha, you know my kirukku friend, do you? Ah, those were the fantastic days of IF. 😃
Vani19 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I know who is the friend too...heheheh...I just started to read the updates... konjam confusion but let me watch then comment. So far lovely updates Karthi 🤗
hopper_ocean thumbnail
Hi Vani Welcome 😃 yeah kind of hard to understanding especially for people like me who have zero knowledge in tamil history. This really helps. Kind of hard to watch the entire one hour episode but with the updates it does help.
Karthikka thumbnail
At the moment they are focussing on minor characters because they are setting up the foundation for the actual saga i.e. the relationships and rivalries between Pandavas and Kauravas.

So right now we are being told the story of their ancestors - their great-grandfather, grandfather and grand uncles. Of all the characters right now, the important ones really are Bheeshma and Sakuni. Everyone else - Satyavati, Amba, Ambiga and Ambalika, Suvai, Ugrasena, Padmavati have their roles to play and then they disappear. Even Pandu and Vidura have small roles. The story will start once the Pandavas and Kauravas are born. I heard Aishwarya - the compere of Super Kudumbam 2 - is Draupadi.

Let me see whether I can recall the characters.

The Pandavas/ Kauravas

Shantanu - King of Hastinapura
Bheeshma - his eighth son with Ganga (the river Goddess). Original name was Devarata, changed to Bheeshma which means dreadful vow because he took a vow of celibacy. Played by OAK Sunther. Looks really magnificient and fits the character so well.
Satyavati - daughter of a fishermen. Shantanu takes a fancy to her, but her father does not want her to marry Shan because her children will never be kings as long as Bheeshma is there. So Bheeshma takes the vow of celibacy and relinquishes his claim to the throne. What a brilliant son. Satyavati conducts herself well. Played by Devipriya.
Vyasa - sage. Son of Satyavati, it was immaculate conception through the blessings of a sage who appreciated Satyavati's skills in carrying him across the river. He could have given her diamonds, gold but no, gave her a three year old son instead through his divine light. Vyasa is played by Poovilangu Mohan. Totally unrecognisable.
Vichitra - Satyavati's son. Died of TB.
Amba - eldest daughter of King Kashi. Was in love with another king but Bhishma kidnaps her with her sisters for Vichitra. Enraged, she swears revenge on Bheeshma, even getting Parasurama involved.  Finally burns herself after Lord Shiva promises her that she will get her revenge. Will be reborn as a man and yes, she/he will kill Bheeshma. Played by Pooja, Prema from Mundhanai Mudichu.
Ambiga and Ambalika - two princesses from Kashi kingdom. Married to Vichitra but V dies before consummation of his marriages.
Suvai - maid of the palace, close to Satyavati.
Dhristrata - son of Ambiga and Vyasa. Satyavati wanted heirs to the throne. Since V had died, she asked Vyasa to do a favour. Ambiga closed her eyes when Vyasa came to her chamber looking dirty and unkempt. Hence Dhri was born blind.
Pandu - son of Ambalika and Vyasa. Was born pale because she paled in fright when she saw Vyasa. Played by Bose Venkat.
Vidura - result of Vyasa and Suvai. Satyavati was not happy with her two grandsons - one was blind and another was pale, so she hoped third time lucky. Arranged for Vyasa to be with Ambiga again, but Ambiga sent the maid instead. Of all the three brothers, Vidura is the most noble, intelligent, humble and courteous one but because of his lowly-birth, he could never be king. Played by Sakshi Siva.
Kunti - first wife of Pandu, mother of Yudishitra, Bheema and Arjuna
Madri - second wife of Pandu, mother of Nakula and Sahadeva
Gandhari - Dhri's wife. Blindfolds herself so that she can be "blind" like her husband. Mother of the Kauravas.
Sakuni - Gandhari's brother. The cause of the 100 year war.

The Yadavas/Krishna

King Ugrasena - King of Mathura
Queen Padmavati - his wife
Kamsa - eldest son of Ugrasena and Padmavati. But he is not Ug's biological son but in TV, a result of Padmavati and an asura's liaison. In all fairness, the asura assumed Ugrasena's form and fooled Padma, Kamsa is evil to the core but loves his sister dearly...until he was told that her eighth child will kill him. Imprisons her and her husband.
Devaki - Kamsa's sister.
Vasudeva - Devaki's husband.

Narada is played by Ramachandra, Revathi's father from TMS. Bhoomidevi is Neelima Rani, the first Lavanya in Thendral.

I know there are many familiar faces from the serials in this show but I can't recognise them. 

Suresh Krsnna is following the text carefully except the introduction of Narada and his interaction with Kamsa. It is not there in Vyasa's version.