Did cultural representation harm Khamoshiyan?

Posted: 11 years ago
Since there is nothing left to discuss in the show, lets do its post-mortem!πŸ˜†

The TRP's or popularity ratings of any show are based on the data collected by viewers across the country...but in the case of hindi daily soaps, the data is collected from Delhi, Rajasthan, Punjab, UP and Maharasthra!

Since the majority of TV viewers belong to the North, as evident from the areas mentioned above, I think its assumed that they feel more connected to stories that are rooted in North-indian culture...like for example, YRKKH is about a Rajasthani Marwari family and so is DABH! EHMMBH is about a Punjabi family and IPKKND was based in Delhi. Veera is an out and out Punjabi story and PKDH is also a story based out of North-India. The only exception I can see is Saathiya, which has a Gujrati background.

So my question is, did Khamoshiyan falter because of its Maharastrian undertones (or overtones actually)? Did the audience from the North fail to connect with the characters who were Maharashtrians? If the same set of characters and story was North based (think Uttar Pradesh...Garv as a UP based political leader like Ajay Devgun from Omkara and Appa Saheb like Chief Minister MayawatiπŸ˜†) do you think it would have fared better?

I personally felt that while it was lovely to see something different from the usual Marwari / Gujrati / Punjabi overdose that we get on SP, I did feel that there were too many dialouges in Marathi, which were not understood by the hindi speaking populace! Also, names like Appa Saheb, Aaji Saheb, Akka Saheb, Atto Aaji were all quite uncomprehending for a non-maharashtrain like me!

I felt that the producer of the show tried to force the entire 'Kolhapuri / Marathi' thing down the viewers throat in an unrealistic manner!πŸ˜• There was too much exaggeration to show the Marathi culture...like for example Gauri and her wedding attire were so OTT! I doubt any Marathi bride would dress up like she is a manequinn at some gold emporium! And now Akka Saheb and her behaviour!

The only genuine Marathi character in the show were Aaji Saheb, Atto Aaji and Prateeksha...they looked very natural and one could easily buy their charactes as being what they were! I think Manit, while suiting the role of Garv to the T, did not look or speak like a Marathi at all...his accent has a strong North-indian lilt!

So what do you guys think? Was this one of the reasons that Silences failed to click with the audiences or do you think that the show had some fundamental issues that would have failed it anyway?

PS: No offence to any Marathi's on the forum...I love Maharashtrian culture, which is why I still watch Pavitra Rishta, which again is a story with a Marathi background, but very different from the way Khamoshiyan is!
Edited by soapie - 11 years ago
πŸ‘πŸΌsoapie well indeed a good topic

1. i have to agree the overuse of dailogues, to be honest i did not understand mostly... i came to the forum n check the WU n Impression then i get a clearer pic... But leave me, its only me... mayb πŸ˜†

2. The promo misleading...

3. I think silence was pretty much having pace / speed problem... to slow... n i think major disaster happened when appa saheb was shown going for his election n asavri took the place with not logical plot...

4. In fact Sid , Garv n gauri angle was not utilize... disconnected... most of the time... they had chances here but failed... in fact when gauri came to india, garv n she should have been linked... i mean show few interaction... when when sid around try to create the triangle... this tri0 should dominate the screen time but we got asavri doing that instead with

5. Sorry to bring another serial name here but PR was also based on maharastrian... but mayb not over.. That was ekta serial i guess n it was not bad... i believe they top the charts too for quite some time... (I loved manav n archana pairing-it was cute n simple love story)... after that the dragging part dun ask... πŸ˜†

6. Appa saheb character was interesting... Garv character was interesting... I wish they would have just focus on political rather than property n focus on love angle... it would have been good... whether it could success or not i dunno but its better to see strong character being strong n not turned into a joker. In fact even sid character was interesting but we havent been able to see it on screen properly... I mean mayb it was good on paper...

7. Too many cast but only for statue purpose was not needed at all... You can add cast later on... just have the important ones n utilize them

8. Comedy... not all can go comedy way n success... i think silence tried comedy too much n i have to say it was disaster... People will still watch if you show something serious but u must balance it up seriousness - love - comedy a bit... not making comedy as forte...

9. No promo. this one i dunno who to blame but i think channel is responsible.

10. TRP is one of the reason. if trp would have been in favour of them , i believe we would have got something diff to watch at least compared to what we have now on TV... They had ideas ... diff ones but

11. Problem with SP... n that is indeed a not a good sign for an upcoming production hse ... Even big guns play safe in this area... i failed to understand how PH overlook this part

12. when u wanna tell story tell it in simple way... dun open 5 story at one time, this may confuse viewer, settle one by one or mayb 2 first... then proceed with another one... it took me abt 1 month to identify who n who in Bhosle family...πŸ˜†...

13. The most important thing U must be confident with ur procuct first. u have a story tell it in your way dun change it n make it disaster. if u dun trust ur own product how will viewers do ...  of course u can modity but not changing the whole texture which is not meant to be... You have to be responsilibity for your product...

14. Another  things to many scenes like asavri scolding by heart - appa saheb... i think scenes saying something by heart can be used but not oftenly... it becomes disturbance while vieweing n makes us get irritated  

15. This is all for now... my fingers are paining πŸ˜†

but having said all this , mayb its just not time for silence to click... πŸ˜³πŸ€— CV tried, as koel said no one wants to fail with their first venture but luck was not with them

Edited by riyya6 - 11 years ago
very good post

Yep could be coz of the different culture enforced

I'm a sri Lankan and understand hindi quiet well but not Marathi so yes at times I never understood any dialogues at all and the whole scene would become so uninteresting...

Secondly there was not much screen space given to the lead couple gauri - Sid so there was no opportunity to show any chemistry as a result audience thought that the couple didn't share any chemistry at all... 

Thirdly the CVs used their trump card quiet too late - Garv... The chemistry between Garv - Gauri is commendable but brought in after the ship is half sunk...
Nice post

1.its promo was diff whiich attracted viewers n it got 4 trp in first episode...or first week
But later it went down ...reasons
-there shud hav been suspence from 1 episode it self...like they shud hhav started with ggauri missing
-did not showed as per promo
-they took one week to send gauri to india n she did not went missing
-the first epi did not hav that suspence that can make viewers crazy about the show
- sid n gauri already in lov ...they shud hav shown them only friends or just know each othr ...
...there lov story shud hav shown fresh ...like gauri n sid goes to india together
-gauri shud not hav known nothing about her family only that her family is thre in india n she goes to find who is in her family...only thing she shud know is appa saheb is her dada...her mom n dad would hav said her they r very poor nall
But gauri gets suspecious wen she gets to hear over phone convo of hr dad n dada
N how about gauri getting a dairy from her mom n she reads it...n gets emotional but she tries to find whose diary it is
2-they shud hav started with gauri missing ...n later show her with sid in india n ..
.the first episode ends with gauri n sid in trouble or ...it shud hav end withh gauri n in trouble or it shuud hav end with gauri n sid first meet n it shud be dhamakedar
3.gauri shud hav hidden her identity from bhosle family ...n come as friend of shivangi...by giving her money

4-garv was appa rival ...n came to take revenge ...
5.they shud hav shown nice suspence ...the story was about mother n daughter relationship
They shud show that but along with that sid gauri n garv story shud hav shown

6.appa asavari plots plan in n garv n sid saves gauri suppt her ...n help her to find all hidden truth

Originally posted by MsCeylon

very good post

Yep could be coz of the different culture enforced

I'm a sri Lankan and understand hindi quiet well but not Marathi so yes at times I never understood any dialogues at all and the whole scene would become so uninteresting...

Secondly there was not much screen space given to the lead couple gauri - Sid so there was no opportunity to show any chemistry as a result audience thought that the couple didn't share any chemistry at all...

Thirdly the CVs used their trump card quiet too late - Garv... The chemistry between Garv - Gauri is commendable but brought in after the ship is half sunk...

I agree ...mee too dont understand marathi
They did not gave much screen to sid n gauri ...but moreover they hav shodwn them already in lov ...
They shud hav started with their first meet ...or atleast them being only friends n not interested in marriage at the moment

N ya they hav used trump card n that too late n did not evenpromote the trump card used

YEdited by honestyfirst - 11 years ago
Personally I feel the Marathi background did harm Khamoshiyan. I am an NRI Punjabi and liked this from the beginning, I thought it was going to be similar to the movie Raajneeti, which is also based on Indian politics. Do I think this would have fared better if it was based in a north-Indian state? Absolutely. I think most people failed to understand the heavy use of Marathi in this soap(thankfully we have English subs πŸ˜Š). I think this soap would have done so much better if it was based in Madhya Pardesh(hardly any soaps are based there) and at least we would have understood the language.  The idea was great but the execution not so much!

Honestly, I didnt like that they had Siddarth who was the random Punjabi in the middle of the Marathi's. Why was he Punjabi? 
they dont have any story to show.

script was too week and Haven't use there lead properly and en cash there popularity. which was the major setback for the showπŸ‘ŽπŸΌ
Originally posted by SrkSabaMonaya

they dont have any story to show.

brainless PH !!
Originally posted by snowwhite28

script was too week and Haven't use there lead properly and en cash there popularity. which was the major setback for the showπŸ‘ŽπŸΌ
ya exactly !!