Did cultural representation harm Khamoshiyan? - Page 2

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 11 years ago
I am a Fiji born Indian  of South Indian Telugu descend and speak Fiji Hindi at home though my mum can speak , read and write pure Hindi fluently . She has got Diploma in Hindi with distinction first division. Sorry can understand a few Telugu words .
This show has got nothing to do with Marathi backdrop. We are able to understand  of the Marathi words. If Mayeke se Bhandhi Dor could go well , BBAB& SNS with Gujerati backdrop can go well then this Kamoshiyaan could have gone well with a more strong story line. At the moment after the marriage it has become quite interesting and should not go off air.
Gauri and Garv are doing an excellent job.
hateme2 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Don't think so.

DABH  represents Rajasthani culture.

EHMMBH - Punjabi culture

YRKKH - Gujrati culture.

Depends on how it is represented.

Maharashtrian culture does not mean

predominant kitchen politics.

UMDU thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I have not been watching this show regularly but of late I did watch a few episodes and liked the chemistry between the lead pairs a lot. I feel sorry it is going off the air. I went back and checked the story. My take on the subject

1. For most shows to work in India either there has to be a lot of saas bahu drama or there has to be a strong romance quotient. In this story Mohit could have been Gauri's best friend but somehow to my mind as lovers they did not match. She definitely in my opinion looks better with Garv. An attraction they could have shown developing earlier. They have started on it but too late in the day.

2.I do not think the backdrop of state really matters if the above mentioned two factors are there in the story i.e sizzling chemistry between the lead pairs or saas bahu drama.

3.Take the example of all the top shows riding TRPS chart. Be it BV, YRKKH, DABH, MB, SSN, BALH or the previous Ekta Kapoor successes they are all based on one of the two.

4. They introduced too many characters, revealed the secret of Gauri's horoscope early, the story line seemed confused and with the drop in TRPS situation worsened.

5.Lack of promos to get audience reinterested in the romantic angle also contributed to the downfall of this serial.

5 Finally disagreement between the PH and SP sealed the fate of the serial. The PH's rigid stand and their not taking suggestions from SP made SP all the more determined to down the curtains.
hateme2 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: UMDU

I have not been watching this show regularly but of late I did watch a few episodes and liked the chemistry between the lead pairs a lot. I feel sorry it is going off the air. I went back and checked the story. My take on the subject

1. For most shows to work in India either there has to be a lot of saas bahu drama or there has to be a strong romance quotient. In this story Mohit could have been Gauri's best friend but somehow to my mind as lovers they did not match. She definitely in my opinion looks better with Garv. An attraction they could have shown developing earlier. They have started on it but too late in the day.

2.I do not think the backdrop of state really matters if the above mentioned two factors are there in the story i.e sizzling chemistry between the lead pairs or saas bahu drama.

3.Take the example of all the top shows riding TRPS chart. Be it BV, YRKKH, DABH, MB, SSN, BALH or the previous Ekta Kapoor successes they are all based on one of the two.

4. They introduced too many characters, revealed the secret of Gauri's horoscope early, the story line seemed confused and with the drop in TRPS situation worsened.

5.Lack of promos to get audience reinterested in the romantic angle also contributed to the downfall of this serial.

5 Finally disagreement between the PH and SP sealed the fate of the serial. The PH's rigid stand and their not taking suggestions from SP made SP all the more determined to down the curtains.

Your analysis is absolutely correct.

TRP : major vewers are housewives. they are either sas or bahu.

Story - they could not match the big name of Mohit with story and chemistry.

when you got the sparkling chemistry of GG,

it is too late.

The kitchen politics was overdone.

Edited by SAYAN18 - 11 years ago
Danika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Brilliant post Soapia!

First of all, the biggest failure of Silence, is that the story was very badly planned out... in fact, I'm not sure if they planned it out at all! I agree that if they were going to show Sid-Gauri, they could have showed the story from the start... and how they started loving each other... but then when Gauri went India, Garv came along who I thought was just an amazing aspect of the story, but even he was not used properly. If they were going to show a love triangle then they could have showed many more interactions between Garv and Gauri., their chemistry was clearly evident from their first scene! But they did not continue with that...

And the most baffling scene of all, was when Sid out of nowhere at all, suddenly appears out of the blue, to save her Aai... when that scene would have been absolutely perfect for Garv, just his type of scene for his character... then there could have been GG scenes after that also. 

I'm just soo disappointed with Silence -  the promo looked so promising as well.

And yeah, definitely agree with you, the marathi aspect was too overdone, thank god I have subtitles! Although I live in the UK, I understand Hindi very well, but sometimes, I couldn't understand anything if it wasnt for the subs.

riyya6 thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

👏
riyya6 thumbnail
I live in Asia n dun contribute to trp but have to say I dun understand most of the dialogues aired on silence n took me time to figure out the mahastrian culture.. I never face this kind of problem with other serial do far 😆 Edited by riyya6 - 11 years ago

Agree with you as I have already said too it has nothing to do with the cultural backdrop.Just like UMDu had mentioned here that Gauri and Sid looked more like friends... yes they did and  it should have shown love on one side and yet they are engaged. Changes could have happened when Gauri came to India and met Garv , either in  a tiffy fight or whatever their first encounter was shown would have been ok and here Gauri developing a feeling for Garv --- could say love at first sight and heart beats at the mention of his name. Then she realises that the feeling she has for Sid is simply friendship and she really is falling for Garv. Then Sid comes to India to find Gauri and why she is not responding to his calls and msgs. The story could have been built on this line... this is my POV.
riyya6 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Raadhni

Agree with you as I have already said too it has nothing to do with the cultural backdrop.Just like UMDu had mentioned here that Gauri and Sid looked more like friends... yes they did and  it should have shown love on one side and yet they are engaged. Changes could have happened when Gauri came to India and met Garv , either in  a tiffy fight or whatever their first encounter was shown would have been ok and here Gauri developing a feeling for Garv --- could say love at first sight and heart beats at the mention of his name. Then she realises that the feeling she has for Sid is simply friendship and she really is falling for Garv. Then Sid comes to India to find Gauri and why she is not responding to his calls and msgs. The story could have been built on this line... this is my POV.

I agree that Sid garv n gauri angle should have been explored from earlier stages itself... Besides the other plot as well... In earlier stages Sid n garv is barely shown... Garv n gauri has the spark.. Just my view it could have been the other way round 2, garv falling for gauri or developing a liking... Too late already when they started to use the trump card 
Danika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Well said @UMDU 👏