Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

light_dark thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Chapter 15

"In those days I learned that nothing is more frightening than a hero who lives to tell his story, to tell what all those who fell at his side will never be able to tell." Carlos Ruiz Zafn, The Shadow of the Wind

He stood alone, drenched in blood and although sweat poured down his wounded body,it just could not wash away the blood that welled up from the cuts and gashes in his body.The blood from his wounds mixed with the blood from his enemies that had splattered on him,when he had chopped their heads off and like many streams running down a hill they ran down and formed a puddle at his feet. He stared at the blood in amazement and wondered at the color for he could not differentiate between his blood and the blood of his enemies. But it was the pain that he felt deep inside his soul that hurt him the most and he knew that there would be no cure or balm for that pain and he also knew that there would be no end to all the killing which he would be doing. A gentle breeze lifted his long hair and they fluttered like flags behind him and he heard her whisper and her lullaby. He turned his face to the east  and heard his blind mother's soft voice singing for him  and he smiled gently as he felt better.He looked at his left forearm and tried again to make sense of the weird designs that he had been born with and shrugging his shoulders  in frustration walked towards his village using the huge spear as a crutch.

The hundreds of bodies that lay without heads, limbs and most importantly now lay still in death were covered by birds of prey and beasts that scavenged and it looked like someone had thrown a blanket of fur and feathers over the clearing. The old man stood hidden among the trees and cried for the boy and he cried for all the men who had lost their lives and now lay as a feast for birds and beasts. He watched the boy as he disappeared into the distance and realised that he looked like mahakala who had descended from the heavens to do his job, the job of death and destruction.

Swarnat Vijaya Vidmahe

Sula Hastaya Dhimahi

Tanno Kala Bhairavaya Prachodayat

Fire in the mountain,run,run

The sun was now high in the sky and slowly clouds gathered and a strong breeze started blowing from the east. The tall man in white and the huge dog leaped on to the top of the mountain and both Periaya swamy and the giant froze for a second seeing them both and in that second, like light both man and dog put themselves in between the chief and the giant and the shackled sadashivam and Palam swamy.

Periya swamy for the first time in all of the 85 years that he had breathed the air of this land felt a strange sensation running through his mind and body.But he and all who lived in Perumalpuram had sworn to protect the village and its legacy from all enemies and had been trained and prepared to lay down their lives for it.He looked at the stranger and said in anger ' you have broken our laws and have crossed boundaries that are sacred and so your life is forfeit. Now lay down your weapons and surrender or you will surely die here along with these men.'

The tall man's face was covered in a white cloth and only his eyes could be seen and they blazed with a strange light and with the power of the sun. He looked calmly at periya swamy and said ' My life may be forfeit but i will not allow these innocent men to be slaughtered and will not stand still and see innocent blood stain this land. So let them go and i will surrender.'

By now Periaya swamy was totally enraged and he screamed at the giant 'Theeran,kill this infidel who has dared to enter our village and chop his legs for stepping  into this sacred mountain.'

Theeran roared in anger and swinging the mighty sword jumped towards the tall man who calmly and with a smile looked at buddha ' relax my friend,i have got this.'

Buddha opened his mouth and yawned and lay down and turned towards sadashivam and periyaswamy and closed his eyes and went to sleep.

Sadashivam stared at buddha and thought ' my god, here we are going to be killed and this dog is taking a nap.It looks like those cartoon channels are affecting the dogs also and no wonder this mutt is behaving like dogs do in TOM and JERRY cartoons.' He turned to see Palam swamy who also seemed strangely calm and relieved upon seeing the stranger.

Dheeran charged at the stranger who stood calmly and just when dheeran's huge sword flung at him, side stepped and let the giant run past him. Gathering himself dheeran charged again and this time the stranger flicked his left shoulder and the shield which lay on his back jumped up and took the brunt of the dheeran's blow.To the astonishment of all three men,it was dheeran who was flung back and who fell to the ground,while the stranger stood still with his eyes full of smiles.

The blow which dheeran had just struck at the stranger could have cut a wild buffalo in two pieces and yet here the man stood still and dheeran lay on the ground in shock  and for the first time in his life feeling fear,a feeling he had never felt before.He turned to periaya swamy who was by now at his wits end and it was not only them watching for all the villagers had crept up to see this battle and now stood shocked and astonished.

Periaya swamy whispered ' stranger,who are you. reveal yourself.'

The tall stranger flicked the huge shield onto his back and stood with the huge spear in his right hand and buddha came to his left side and the man bent down and stroked the dog's huge head.The white cloth covering the man's left forearm stretched back and Periaya swamy and dheeran saw the markings and felt their bodies tremble in fear and in faith.

Periaya swamy's body trembled as the legend and the stories raced through his memory and he repeated ' please,tell us who you are.'

The tall man's eyes smiled and he turned his back to sadashivam and palam swamy and faced periaya swamy, dheeran and all the villagers and slowly removed the white cloth that covered his face.Then he took the conch that hung on his waist and placing it in his lips,blew and the noise was as loud as thunder and then from deep in the forest, everyone there heard the roar of a lion and it roared loud and long.

Periaya swamy's eyes filled with tears and with a trembling voice he murmured ' who,what,it cannot be.that lion has never been seen and it is supposed to roar only when the legend returns to our village.so who are you.are you the one ?'

The man smiled and said ' I,We have been called many names.Pakalon,Maasilan,Kathiravan,Meykandan,Koman,Nikaran.I could go on but you can call me Kavin.'

A huge roar filled the air and Periya swamy,dheeran and all the villagers fell to their knees and bowed low touching their forehead to the ground.everyone's eyes were filled with tears and they stared at the legend they had worshipped and prayed for centuries.

Sadashivam was really frustrated now and desperately wanted to see who this man was and right then the man covered his face and turned towards sadashivam and then signaled to dheeran,who ran and untied the chains that shackled both men.

The tall man gently apologised for what had happened and requested both sadashivam and Palam swamy to forgive him and the villagers for the trouble that had been put through.

He placed his left arm on sadashivam's shoulder and said ' all your questions will be answered at first light tomorrow morning, but for now rest and we will talk soon.'

Periaya swamy asked dheeran to take them down to the village and they left and only he and Kavin stood on the mountain.

Kavin took out a slim looking phone out of his pouch and whispered something and a few minutes later, they heard the helicopter taking off and vanishing into the distance.

Kavin slowly sat down on a boulder and looked at periaya swamy and said ' The secrets all of us have been guarding are being threatened. The paintings and sketches were released with a purpose to lure me out and trap me. We have to be on our guard from now on, so please see to it that more eyes are watching for activity in the forest.If it is absolutely necessary then i will do what has to be done.But for now leave me here for i need to be on my own this night,on this mountain and think and plan on what has to be done.'

But I set fire to the rain,
Watched it pour as I touched your face,
Well, it burned while I cried
'Cause I heard it screaming out your name, your name!

ADELE-SET FIRE TO THE RAIN

If you stay in Larissa, you will find peace. You will find a wonderful woman, and you will have sons and daughters, who will have children. And they'll all love you and remember your name. But when your children are dead, and their children after them, your name will be lost. If you go to Troy, glory will be yours. They will write stories about your victories for thousands of years and the world will honor your name. But if you go to Troy, you will never come back, for your glory walks hand-in-hand with your doom. And I shall never see you again. Thetis, to her son Achilles.

I am fire and i am water. I am hell and i am heaven and i will bring peace to you.

The boy who went into the dark and came back with light.

light_dark thumbnail
Hi

Agara mudhala ezhuthellam
aadhi bhagavan mudhatre ulagu.

15 chapters have passed in this tale and soon i will begin to write,no sing about the boy and his blind mother.It will be a song about his birth,his loss,his first love and how from god he becomes an avenging devil.Please excuse my flights of imagination and suspension of certain beliefs,but in the end i hope to answer all questions and tie all knots neatly.I write for a few of you and that is enough and i hope as the tale develops,you will see what we humans have to face and endure everyday.The comedy of sadashivam,the loyalty of buddha and love,true love which makes everything possible.

I want to wish you all lots of love,peace and happiness and i wish you well where ever you are or will be.i remain yours truly and humbly the same satish,who stumbled into this forum and it takes me back to the memory of the sad and unfortunate death of vaishnavi.i think this is my 10th year here and honestly i did not think i would last so long or rather if my moods and interests would let me be still.But here i am and here i hope to be for more days,weeks and years.Be well.

spain thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
10th year it is...
Brings back a lot of nostalgic memories of the Muhurtham forum.

I have mostly remained a silent reader since back then...
but I've enjoyed reading many different parts of this forum over the years.

I don't keep updated on serials anymore.
But I do like reading the Bollywood gossip and movie review section, writer's corner, music corner, book talk, love/ friendship/ relationships corner (this is a very interesting section!)...
and of course, here too!

I've come to the forum in many different moods and it has always removed my stress and calmed me down.
Initially, it was for time-pass. (Incidentally, it was then that actress Vaishnavi passed away).
Then it was to follow updates for tv serial episodes.
Then I genuinely ended up liking people's thoughts and feelings towards certain stupid serials.
Then I genuinely started liking the people themselves.
I felt happy and content just to follow their username and thoughts wherever they went...
And then I realised what matters to them...matters to me too.
The forum became like second family.
Then I realised I couldn't stop myself from coming back here regularly.
And now I realise I am not the only one too!!😆

How many people share similar thoughts...I don't know.

But my heart sank as fast as a broken elevator from a tall building when I recently found out one of the forum members (in the Bollywood section) unexpectedly passed away on Feb. 20th.
Her username was "mischievous". She was an active member here for about 15 months or so.

It was a huge shock to the forum as she was quite active, lively member and her posts were always full of wit, intellect and good humour.
About "mischievous" posts, her words would make one believe that she was a mature adult with worldly experience.
It was only after her death, I realised she was a simple 19 year old girl by the name of Tanvi Khan.

And then I went back one day, and sat and read through her posts...after she died.
For a 19 year old girl, she was incredibly mature for her age and would write about the changes she wanted the Indian government laws to make. Her movie reviews were spot-on, insightful and hilarious to read. Her advice was gentle but filled with positivity and profound wisdom.
But NEVER in any of her posts did she mention that she had some serious health issues.
No one in the forum had any clue about that.
I still don't know what exactly happened to her...
but it was obvious from her posts that she remained strong, positive and resilient till the end.
Her last post in the forum was only a few days before she unexpectedly died...
and it was so bubbly and effervescent to read.
She breathed her last following a complicated surgery and her family was beside her bed in the ICU.

Following her death, the forum members were aware of one thing she was doing for the past few months.
She was making peace with all those members with whom she broke friendships here.
She sent them PMs and erased all the grudges she had against certain members.
They got back in touch, their friendships were restored and they continued commenting on each other's posts with hilarious views on life.

The sudden impact of her death has left some of her closest friends in the forum numb and they have permanently logged out and discontinued their membership here.
This is in honour of the online friendship they cherished with this girl.

I pray her soul rests in peace.
Even though I never met her, I felt I knew her through her words.
Her username "mischievous" was familiar to my eyes and I was always keen to read what she had to say when she posted a new message.
I will miss reading her posts now.

Yes, this is an online forum.
Yes, we are here for time-pass and entertainment.
Yes, it is a daily interaction with unknown faces.
But does that make it any less than meeting everyday known faces in the real world?

To end, here is a nice, short clipping from the movie "Mounam Pesiyathey" (where back in those days, Surya used to be a decent actor).
I liked this movie very much back then (I still do!) and no doubt, this is the best scene in the whole film.
(This scene is also special because it features late actress Vaishnavi too! Enjoy!)

Edited by spain - 9 years ago
light_dark thumbnail
                                      CHAPTER 16

"Fawkes is a phoenix, Harry. Phoenixes burst into flame when it is time for them to die and are reborn from the ashes." J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I have a dream, a song to sing
To help me cope with anything
If you see the wonder of a fairy tale
You can take the future even if you fail
I believe in angels
Something good in everything I see
I believe in angels
When I know the time is right for me
I'll cross the stream - I have a dream

ABBA-I have a dream

Enter the womb and Renter the past

Kavin sat on the mountain and the darkness, which lay on the land, seemed not so dark around him and hesitated to reach into the aura the man projected. The chill, night breeze calmed his mind and cooled his body and with a sigh, he nudged Buddha,who ran down the mountain in great haste.

It was about four in the morning and the various species of birds realising that dawn was near at hand, started rejoicing with calls and cackles in thought of their daily bread and the security which sunlight brought to thei lives .Buddha raced back up the mountain and was soon followed by Periaya swamy,Palam swamy,sadashivam and dheeran.

Kavin stood up and looked at them ' It is time for you people to know why this place is sacred and why  many who went before me laid down their lives without even thinking about it before dying.This mountain is not sacred  because of the temple here, in which my people have been worshipped but because of what lies hidden here .Come with me and see for yourself and then you will begin to understand.'

Kavin led them deep into the womb of the mountain and inside the gloom, paused outside the temple doors which guarded what was inside. He pushed the doors wide open and switching on the torch he carried, slowly made his way to the stony wall behind the statue that stood as a deity and as a guardian.

With his face still covered for some strange reason ,he turned to sadashivam who had stopped to stare at the statue and the weird symbols that adorned the wall behind it and ' well, mr.shivam.you wanted answers and i promised you answers and you are going to get answers. I think among all the people who are here, only you will be able to appreciate what you are going to see. It took some time for me to understand what the history of the place was and it took a a few more trips for me to assume my place as the guardian of this forest.'

Kavin quickly turned to periaya swamy and gently whispered ' i am sorry, but someday you will be able to understand the need for the secrecy on my part and hopefully forgive my actions.'

Periaya swamy bent low and whispered ' You are our god and protector. Please do not apologise for your actions and we remain to do your bidding and are ready to lay down our lives for you and for you alone. It is you, who must forgive me for attacking you and i don't know how i am going to redeem myself in your eyes.'

Seeing the old man cry, Kavin gave his spear to dheeran who took it and stepped back and then placed both his hands on the old man's shoulders and then gently wiped his tears ' Please, I know and understand how valuable your service has been to this village and this land and i thank you.' and gently hugged the man and stroked his head.

Then Kavin asked sadashivam to shine the torch on the wall with weird designs that lay spread on the wall and placed both his arms on two circles and then gently breathed into the wall.

A few seconds passed and they heard a click,then a grinding noise and then more clicks and the rock wall opened to reveal darkness, pitch black darkness.Kavin turned to all the men and then whispered something to buddha, who left to stand guard at the entrance.Then he asked them to wait for him and he went in alone and a few minutes later, they heard a click and slowly the darkness vanished to reveal a corridor lit dimly with lights.

Sadashivam thought ' i came in search of answers about the paintings and here i am entering Ali baba's cave and i am starting to feel like Indiana jones in raiders of the lost ark.'

Kavin suddenly turned and stared at sadashivam and stared at him and everybody could see that the man's eyes shone with a strange light and yet they were also full of laughter and he said ' please do not be shocked when you actually lay your eyes on the ark,for it is here among many other lost items.'

Sadashivam thought ' what is this man raving about, ark and treasures. maybe i should wait outside with buddha.'

Kavin roared in laughter and sadashivam heard him say as he walked deep inside the corridor ' mr.shivam,why is it that mrs.kamalam sadashivam has never had the pleasure of all this spontaneous wit and punch dialogues.'

Sadashivam shut up and wondered ' everybody here seems to be a mind reader.'

They all walked for about ten minutes in the dimly lit corridor and then they all stood outside a huge door and it too was covered with strange designs and sadashivam knew he had seen these patterns before and was trying desperately to recollect where he had seen them.

Kavin removed the white cloth on his face and placing both his hands on the wall breathed into it and whispered something and again everybody heard the clicks, and grinding of wheels and the doors slid sideways and they stood outside a huge cavern like area,which was brightly lit.

Kavin then turned and sadashivam gasped and nearly died of the shock.

All he could say was ' sir,sir,neenga.what is happening.But you are,you are.'

Kavin smiled and said yes ' I am also called Chief minister Dhanashaekara pandiyan.I am also called Pakalon,Maasilan,Kathiravan,Meykandan,Koman,Nikaran,Mamannan,azhagan and so many other names. But me and all those who are and were the guardians have been called those. But you can call me dhana, for that is how i am called by people who are close to me .'

I am fire and i am water. I am hell and i am heaven and i will bring peace to you.

The boy who went into the dark and came back with light.

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking." Albert Einstein
light_dark thumbnail
                                              CHAPTER 17

"The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours" Alan Bennett, The History Boys: The Film

Life is a prison and we are all sentenced to life long imprisonment and the prisoners who languish with us in the same cell are our thoughts,our memories,our depressions and our heartbreaks.My eyes have bars and although they are invisible i see and let inside lots of sights but the bars filter stuff which they know will hurt my heart.My soul broke in half once when i was  a child and with time,it slowly healed but with lots of scar tissues and it beats on slowly and steadily and it waits patiently for life or death.In limbo,in zombieland heart and soul entwined travel on a journey with no destination.

Reliquary

The shock dhana had given them was too much for sadashivam and palam swamy but it mattered not much for dheeran and periaya swamy for Kavin was the very god that they and their ancestors had worshipped for many centuries and him being the chief minister was just an additional post and an extra crown for their king.The village was insulated from the politics and technological advancements of the outside world and who or what ruled the land outside was ignored and rejected.

Kavin walked slowly and stopped before a huge statue which was covered by a white cloth and everybody marvelled on seeing how white the color of the cloth was.Kavin slowly pulled the cloth down and it slid and gathered as a flood of snow at their feet and everybody looked up to see the statue and they looked at kavin and the resemblance was startling.

Kavin smiled and said ' that is not me although i resemble the statue.But it is the statue of my ancestor AZHAGAN  and the story,my story begins with him.'

Periya swamy and dheeran fell to their knees and with folded hands and bent head mumbled the many names of their god.

Sadashivam's scientist brain was trying to analyse and make sense of everything that he was seeing and yet nothing made sense and he looked at dhana with a puzzled expression.

Kavin asked them all to sit down and sadashivam and periaya swamy sat down on some of the chairs nearby and sadashivam looked down at the chair and wondered on the work and majesty of it.He thought ' Grand looking chair,must have held up a lot of famous backsides and now i am sitting on it and i hope they don't feel insulted.'

Dhana laughed loudly ' sadashivam,you are right about that chair for it used to be in the court of queen elizabeth and was gifted to one of my ancestors,when he visited the court.But all that is history and i will come to it later but for now,the answers to your questions as to who painted the art collection which has recently come into you possession and most importantly the sketch of the blind woman.Well,shivam the paintings and sketch was done by the man who stands before you.'

Saying this dhana pointed to the statue of AZHAGAN and then looked at sadashivam ' It is a very long story and i will tell you if you are willing to listen to it.'

Dhana looked at periya swamy and dheeran and smiled fondly ' it is not only the history of my ancestors but the story of your ancestors who have been with us from the beginning and are equal guardians to this land and the secrets it holds.'

Kavin looked at them ' the story of Azhagan is the story of Avini and the name means "one which cannot be separated" and azhagan and avini were truly inseparable and so much so that i feel her in my soul,even today.Yes,it has been 850 years since the beginning and i know every detail intricately of what transpired then to now.

With everybody settled in dhana,kavin began narrating the tale of Azhagan and his mother Avini.

"But there's a story behind everything. How a picture got on a wall. How a scar got on your face. Sometimes the stories are simple, and sometimes they are hard and heartbreaking. But behind all your stories is always your mother's story, because hers is where yours begin." Mitch Albom, For One More Day

Naanaga Naan Illai Thaaye
Nal Vaazhvu Thandhaaye Neeye
Paasam Oru Nesam
Kannara Kandaan Un Seye

Keel Vaanile Oli Vandhadhu
Koondai Vittu Kili Vandhadhu
Naan Paarkum Aaghayam
Enghum Nee Paadum Bhoopalam
Vaazhum Payir Vaazha
Nee dhaane Neer Vaartha Kaarmegham

Mani Maazhigai Maadangalum
Malar Thooviya Manjangalum
Thaai Veedu Pol Illai
Angu Thaalatta Aal Illai
Koil Thozhum Deivam
Nee Indri Naan Kaana Vaer Illai

Naanaga Naan Illai Thaaye
Nal Vaazhvu Thandhaaye Neeye

Edited by s.satishkumar - 9 years ago
light_dark thumbnail

Badlapur

"I'm a fighter. I believe in the eye-for-an-eye business. I'm no cheek turner. I got no respect for a man who won't hit back. You kill my dog, you better hide your cat." Muhammad Ali

The film Badlapur has grossed about 50 crores and yet the buzz about the film has been high and everybody who has seen it has been raving about it.So,you wonder why then has this film not grossed 100 or more crores.The simple answer is that people have become smart about the cash in their wallet and about the time left in their lives.Most people who go to see movies,not only in india but i mean the whole world have decided that timepass,dishoom,dishoom movies are better than movies that make you think.No please dont get me wrong and think i am that guy who watches films that get national awards,yeah those malayalam films that were taken before the coming of christ,showing a man in his loin cloth,climbing trees or just sitting and smoking a beedi.Believe me those movies got awards by the bucketful and not to forget that indian awards are all rigged and can be bought for money.shit,come to think of it most things in india can be bought.

Anyway,badlapur is like an ordinary person who is suddenly invited to a buffet lunch in a five,six or a seven star hotel and is dumb struck on what to eat when faced with so many items.Okay,let me confess that i have been to just a few buffets and after much dilly dallying i took some rotis,dhal and some vegetables and finished with some vanilla ice cream.My friend looked at me and said 'W*F,you have thai,chinese,continental and so much more and you are eating rotis.W*F is wrong with you.' I smiled,shrugged and wiggled my arse out of a i think pretty funny and introspective confrontation and went home with my dignity intact.

Well Dir sriram raghavan had a buffet spread before him,in terms of story,actors and i guess budget and yet the film starts with a bang,then suffers Performance issues and then meanders to a long drawn bang,bang,bang while the wife and the audience have gone to sleep,while you try to make up for the earlier performance issues.

The story is of a husband and father who has lost both that makes him thus and how he plots his revenge and gets his revenge and what it leaves him with in the end.the director thought he could leave a lot of questions to be answered by the audience,as he himself seems lost and has no answers and maybe will retort angrily,saying ' i would like to involve my audience,i want a thinking audience.' Oh well,by the time the film crawled to an end i was thinking about my full bladder and the quickest way to the toilet.

The film stands on the first few scenes,on varun dhawans screen persona and charisma, nawazuddin siddiqui's now stale and irritating monotonous acting,the really hot huma qureshi and the endowed divya dutta.The film has some really good intense and some really funny scenes and some really boring scenes.
If the film had been shorter and had not meandered around,then the film would have been better and could have made more money.It suffers from bi-polar disorder or Multiple Personality Disorder and starts as one and ends as something else.Okay,agreed that it is the directors dream and his vision of what he wants to translate to the big screen.so in the end it is like too many cooks spoiling the broth.

There is one scene which is funny,intense,crazy and will make most men squirm in their seats and that scene is when varun acts as if he is humping the villians wife and asks her to say his name and moan and scream and all the while the poor husband is sitting outside thinking his wife is getting laid and is enjoying it.well it does not help when she screams the heroes name ' raghu,raghu over and over again and you realise that the director is trying to show who is actually getting f...d.see the film and decide.

light_dark thumbnail
Hi,
          The coming of dhana aka dhana shekara pandiyan into this story planted itself when i was writing the last story AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE.That is why i gave so much importance to dhana in matters of his physical prowess and the frequent mentions of his skill in fighting and his quick thinking.Why some are more blessed in matters of genetics and what set their genes to culminate in a hero is mother nature's secret recipe and one i have no clue to.But in this story of dhana and as we go back hundred's of years into the past into the life of AZHAGAN and AVINI we will come to know certain things that could be true or certain facts that will aid in this story.

But i think by the time and by the time i finish with the story of AZHAGAN and return back to dhana there will be certain things that will make believers of you or in the least make you think,maybe just maybe all this is possible.

Today we are in the age where breakthroughs are being done on a daily basis in the fields of medicine,science and technology and soon i guess we will touch the edge of life and death.

I will talk more and maybe come back once in a while in the middle of the story to discuss the ifs and buts of the chapters.

I wish you all the very best.Lots of love.

satish
spain thumbnail

Your story and your reviews are really good, Satish...and it's always a pleasure to read a new chapter from you.

I've watched a few Tamil movies recently...but I didn't like most of them.Gautam Menon's "Yennai Arindhaal" was boring...lots of gun shots, gangs, the fearless police officer...the same old, same old characters...and Ajith looks old (but handsome!) too. Heroines Anushka and Trisha...over make-up and over drama by trying to act shy and feminine as the typical Gautam Menon heroine.Okay, Trisha was tolerable...Anushka was irritating.If they had to make the heroine look as a poised mother of a 6 year old girl, I would've rather liked Devayani to play the mother character...because I could easily see Ajith falling for her without her putting any effort.I liked the companionship Ajith shared with the little girl and their spiritual journey together. I slept before the end of the movie though. I still don't know what happens in the end. I guess he lives on as everyone else dies?!

Shankar's "I" was a waste of time...the movie was all hype, big budget, big locations, bigger costumes with no storyline.

"Darling" was a funny horror movie...I was squeezing my eyes shut NOT out of fear, but because I couldn't stop laughing. Decent debut by G.V.Prakash.

SJ Surya's "Isai" is about the downfall of Illaiyaraja and his music career as AR Rahman took over the industry by storm in the 90s. Satyaraj played his role really well.  SJ Surya...now how can there be an SJ Surya movie without the camera lens focusing on a woman's midriff as her saree moves in slow motion? How can he share any scenes with the heroine without using those double-meaning dialogues? Again, I slept off before I could finish the movie. But in retrospect, I understood why SJ Surya and Simbu share a great friendship...they have the same wavelength when it comes to women.

Edited by spain - 9 years ago
spain thumbnail
Here is a movie I liked better than the recent Tamil movies I saw...but I heard it failed at the box office.

Shamitabh

Starring: Dhanush, Amitabh Bachchan and Akshara Hassan

Plot: The story is loosely based on the 80s ego clash between Mike Mohan and his dubbing artiste SN Surendar, which eventually led to their career downfall.

Dhanush plays the role of a mute wannabe actor, who needs a voice to help him become a successful hero in the movie industry. Akshara helps him and they find a hero in Amitabh's baritone voice, who is a drunkard living in the graveyard. How they work together to achieve success...who takes and deserves credit for that success, the aftermath, the bitterness, the jealousy, the bruised ego, and the downfall form the rest of the story.

Acting: Dhanush is really good in the intense scenes. He is so quick to change his expressions so many times within a short time-frame...that he leaves you speechless with his performance. Of course, he uses his unconventional looks to his advantage in the Bollywood industry. He is a talented actor and all my North Indian friends are crazy about him. And he makes you feel proud to be a Tamilian too.
Amitabh has also given a good performance...he keeps re-inventing himself and the audience can never get bored of him. I just found his drunkard character a bit too irritating and repetitive. Akshara doesn't have much to do, but she seems quite comfortable sharing screen space with two big actors. She is like the little baby of the film who tries to reconcile the two egos of two big men.

Favourite dialogue: Many were there. Some were quite profound. Some were tongue-in-the-cheek. Some were just shocking. I liked the bit when Akshara takes Amitabh and Dhanush to a school classroom (after they fight with each other on the ground) and teaches them the ABCDs of life. "A is for ALONE. No one can live in this world alone! B is for BIG. No one here is bigger than the other! C is for **** which is what both of you are! D is for DEATH. No one wins this race because all of us will die one day. E is for EGO. Each of us think only we can make it. F is for FINISHED. If you let your ego win, it will destroy you and you will be finished! G is for GIVING. You are here to give..not to take. H is for HELP. When you cannot do it on your own, you need help. S is for...and then Dhanush and Amitabh look at each other and say together "SORRY" and they smile at each other. Then Amitabh looks at Akshara and says to her U is for "U need to shut up now"!😆

Favourite scene: The Rekha moment. Rekha comes as a brief guest role where she plays herself and gives the best actor award to Dhanush on stage. He thanks her and she is pleasantly surprised to hear Amitabh's voice coming from his mouth...OMG, that look of hidden love on her face when she hears Amitabh's voice was palpable! Of course, everyone in the theatre got excited too. Amitabh-Rekha will forever remain the epitome of silent mysterious love (much to Jaya Bachchan's irritation!)

Favourite songs: Piddly sung by Amitabh, Sha Sha Mi Mi and Ishq-E-Fillum...I couldn't get this songs out of my head for a while after watching the movie. I liked them more than Harris Jayaraj's "Yennai Arinthaal". Of course, music is by Illaiyaraja.

While leaving the theatre: You feel like walking up to your worst enemy and giving them a big hug.

Despite everything, why it failed: The second half became too self-indulgent and repetitive. If Balki had given the story to his wife and asked her to direct it, I think it might have done better. "English Vinglish" was told in a simple but heart-touching way.

After watching the movie:
I made time to watch "Mouna Ragam" again. It's amazing how even after nearly 30 years of its release, this movie is as fresh as the morning dew!
Mohan who played the loving, patient husband who is rejected by Revathy was probably every girl's secret dream life-partner. But of course, people appreciated Karthik's guest appearance more.
When I watched the movie again, I realised it's hard to imagine anyone else playing that husband character except Mohan. He played the subdued role really well. I also realised I couldn't imagine Mohan speaking those classic dialogues without SN Surendar's voice!!
It's sad that things turned sour between the two in real life.
This is what "Shamitabh" is all about.

light_dark thumbnail
Actually raghuvaran could have played that role of mohan with more class and more subtle expressions and reactions but  mohan suited that role very well for he had a charm which i dont think raghuvaran had,although he had the title of a great actor which mohan never had.but then great actors are not needed for great stories like ordinary actors need great stories.

After the huge success of mouna raagam,mani ratnam after a few years wanted to make anjali with mohan for he was going through a bad patch or should i say the end of his career,but mohan said no prabhu for i will not let somebody steal my thunder again,.well mani waited ,waited and finally anjali was made with raghuvaran who stood tall even among great performances of revathi,prabhu and shamili

Karthik went to great success after mouna raagam but stuck to the same kind of acting and well soon drugs and women brought an end to him.

I havent watched any new tamil films,well they suck big time and they are following the trend of rajini and his formula films though with more fights,gloss and glamor and with none of rajini's class and mass.

I went back and watched Talaash,3 idiots and taare zameen par to see how aamir copes with scenes and have stuck to reading and writing and pining for good films.be well.