Remsi thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

I was net-surfing yesterday and found this and was stunned to read this. Can love actually be so pious. It is the story of two most faithful lovers who followed each other till eternity. Itb is not something related to HJNH but I still wantd to share this.

It is about Isidor Straus and his wife Rosalie Ida Blun.

These two were those among the several who died in the tragic sinkiing of RMS Titanic.

I found this on wikipedia and was awestruck-

Traveling back from a winter in Europe, mostly spent at Cap Martin in southern France, Isidor and his wife were passengers on the RMS Titanic when, on April 14, 1912, it hit an iceberg. Once it was clear Titanic was sinking, Ida refused to leave Isidor and would not get into a lifeboat. Although Isidor was offered a seat in a lifeboat too, he refused seating while there were still women and children aboard. Ida insisted her newly hired English maid, Ellen Bird, get into lifeboat #8. She gave Ellen her fur coat stating she would not be needing it. Ida is reported to have said, "I will not be separated from my husband. As we have lived, so will we die, together." Isidor and Ida were last seen on deck arm in arm. Eyewitnesses described the scene as a "most remarkable exhibition of love and devotion." Both died on April 15th when the ship sank. Isidor Straus' body was recovered by the cable ship Mackay-Bennett and brought to Halifax, Nova Scotia where it was identified before being shipped to New York. He was first buried in the Straus-Kohns Mausoleum at Beth-El Cemetery in Brooklyn. His body was moved to the Straus Mausoleum inWoodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx in 1928. Isidor and Ida are memorialized on a cenotaph outside the mausoleum, "Many waters cannot quench love - neither can the floods drown it."

This is such a tragic yet happy love story. Tragic, since these two people died a death which neither of them deserved and happy since they were together till the end.

😔

Edited by Remsi - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Abhii1902 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Very Well said Remsi