Devon ke Dev Mahadev

\|/ Happy Mahashivratri \|/

mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 11 years ago

Panchvakra or Panchmukhi Shiva:

Shiva is majorly seen in five of His aspects ' Aghora, Ishana, Tat purusha, Vamadeva (Varna Deva) and Rudra (or Saddyojat). Panchavaktra or Panchamukhi is the combination of all these five forms and is commonly depicted as five-headed.

Aghora is the destructive aspect of Shiva. He is often depicted as the Keeper of burial and cremation grounds and is associated with death. He is said to devour life and make way for new creation or regeneration. He faces South on a Panchamukha Sivalingam.

Ishana is omnipresent and omnipotent. He is depicted as an all-pervading and eternal Shiva. He is cause of creation. He faces the north-east on a Panchamukha Sivalingam.

Tat purusha is the ego aspect of Shiva. Associated with meditation, enlightenment this form is often associated with sages, ascetics and celibacy. He faces east on a Panchamukha Sivalingam.

Vamadeva (Varna Deva) is the female aspect of Shiva. He is graceful and is associated with water. He faces north on a Panchamukha Sivalingam. He is a healer and bestower of health both mental and physical.

Rudra (Sadyojata) is the creative and destructive power of Shiva. He is associated with wrath and anger. He faces west on a Panchamukha Sivalingam.

Manifestation of Lord Shiva as a Jyotirlinga on this day:

On this day manifested the great & also the first ever effulgent (Jyotirmaya) form (Anala-skanda or a pillar of fire) of Lord Shiva in front of Lord Vishnu & Brahmaji.

The story goes that once both Vishnuji & Brahmaji, got infected by ego. The result was an clash between both these gods. In order to show their respective superiority they decided to fight it out. Lord Shiva decided to intervene so as to make them realise that there is something more to life than the powers of an embodied beings. He manifested in the form of a huge pillar of fire (Anala-skanda) whose beginning and end could not be seen. Vishnuji & Brahmaji decided to check what this strange thing was. While Vishnuji, in the form of varaha (boar) went down towards patal-loka to see the end of this pillar, Brahmaji sitting on his swan went up. Even after years of travel they could not see the beginning or the end of this manifestation. Brahmaji saw a leaf falling off, and thought it fell down from the top of pillar of fire, and returned satisfied that he had seen the starting point. They came back, while Lord Vishnu accepted that he could not see the end, Brahmaji said that he had seen, which was a lie. Lord Shiva cursed Brahmaji that no will ever worship him. Then he too surrendered. This manifestation of Lord Shiva in the form of the first effulgent linga was on this special day of Mahashivratri, and thus all devotees pray to the effulgent linga (jyotirlinga) of Lord Shiva.

Day of Reunion of Shiva & Parvati:

King Daksha, opposed Sati's marriage with Shiva. At a yagna (holy sacrifice) the king ignored Shiva's presence and thereby insulted the latter publicly. Sati was so angered by this that she jumped into the sacrificial fire and ended her life. Lord Shiva unleashed his fury at the death of his wife by performing the violent dance, Tandava. He wiped out Daksha's kingdom, undertook rigorous penance and retired to the Himalayas. The Gods, who feared that the severity of Shiva's penance might bring an end to the world, revived Sati in the new avatar of Parvati. Shiva-Parvati married and this reunion is celebrated on Maha Shivaratri

Samudra Manthan Story:

During Samudra Manthan by the gods and demons, a highly toxic poison came out of the ocean. As per the advice of Lord Vishnu, gods approached Lord Shiva and prayed him to protect life by consuming this poison. Pleased with their prayers, out of compassion for living beings, Lord Shiva drank this poison and held it in his throat by binding it with a snake. The throat became blue due to the poison (Thus Lord Shiva is also know as Neelakantha) and Shiva remained unharmed. The wise men advised gods to keep Lord Shiva awake during the night. To keep him awake, the gods took turn performing various dances and playing music. A vigil was thus kept by the gods in contemplation of Shiva. As the day broke out, Shiva, pleased with their devotion blessed them all, and also said that whosoever worshipped & contemplated on him on this day shall be blessed with the fulfillment of his or her wishes. Since then, on this day and night - devotees fast, keep vigil, sing glories of Lord and meditate.

Story of Chitrabhanu:

In the Shanti Parva of the Mahabharata, Bhishma, whilst resting on the bed of arrows and discoursing on Dharma, refers to the observance of Maha Shivaratri by King Chitrabhanu. The story goes as follows.

Once upon a time King Chitrabhanu of the Ikshvaku dynasty, who ruled over the whole of Jambudvipa, was observing a fast with his wife, it being the day of Mahashivratri. The sage Ashtavakra came on a visit to the court of the king.

The sage asked, "O king! why are you observing a fast today?"

King Chitrabhanu explained why. He had the gift of remembering the incidents of his previous birth.

The king said to the sage: "In my past birth I was a hunter in Varanasi. My name was Suswara. My livelihood was to kill and sell birds and animals. One day I was roaming the forests in search of animals. I was overtaken by the darkness of night. Unable to return home, I climbed a tree for shelter. It happened to be a bel tree. I had shot a deer that day but I had no time to take it home. I bundled it up and tied it to a branch on the tree. As I was tormented by hunger and thirst, I kept awake throughout the night. I shed profuse tears when I thought of my poor wife and children who were starving and anxiously awaiting my return. To pass away the time that night I engaged myself in plucking the bel leaves and dropping them down onto the ground.

"The day dawned. I returned home and sold the deer. I bought some food for myself and for my family. I was about to break my fast when a stranger came to me, begging for food. I served him first and then took my food.

"At the time of death, I saw two messengers of Lord Shiva. They were sent down to conduct my soul to the abode of Lord Shiva. I learnt then for the first time of the great merit I had earned by the unconscious worship of Lord Shiva during the night of Shivratri. They told me that there was a Lingam at the bottom of the tree. The leaves I dropped fell on the Lingam. My tears which I had shed out of pure sorrow for my family fell onto the Lingam and washed it. And I had fasted all day and all night. Thus did I unconsciously worship the Lord.

"I lived in the abode of the Lord and enjoyed divine bliss for long ages. I am now reborn as Chitrabhanu." I have now realized about the infinite love & compassion of Lord Shiva. Even unconscious acts of goodness are blessed in such a way, then what to talk of our conscious acts of expressing our love, respect and reverence for Lord Shiva. He is indeed Ashutosh, one who gets pleased very soon. Lord Shiva is indeed an embodiment of infinite love, love & compassion, that is why he is so easy to please. He showers us with his blessings at every moment of our lives, may we all devote this day of Mahashivratri to express our gratitude unto his feet. It is a very auspicious day.

Spiritual Significance:

Maha is the Big One, Shiv means auspiciousness, and Ratri means night; this is a day when we awake to the most auspicious truth within ourself. Night stands for darkness i.e. ignorance, in which all beings sleep & then dream. Our present transmigratory existence and limited individuality is nothing but a big dream. Freedom is never by some unique or scintillating experiences in this dreamy realm of existence, but only by waking up to that which is not a product of mind. That which is not a product of mind is the Self, the Atma. Mandukya Upanishad calls that non-relative truth of Self as Shiva. That is referred to as the fourth state of the Self, the Turiya. It is the most auspicious one, knowing which one truly wakes up and gets 'as though' liberated. One who knows the Atma as Brahman alone is a liberated one.

The other three states apart from the Turiya are the waking, dream and the deep sleep states - when we turn extrovert and try to get experiences from the things around, revel in our imaginary worlds, or just switch off and rest, respectively. The fact that the special sadhana of this day has been kept for night implies that we need to simulate deep sleep, i.e. no flights of mind as in waking or dream states. Turn away from all experiences, physical or mental and just become quiet. No responsibilities, no desires, no burden to achieve anything, no roles to play, no regrets, no aspirations - just as in deep sleep but all consciously. When all relative roles and their corresponding thoughts are kept aside and the mind is quiet, then that which remains is that which is not a product of our minds - the Shiv tattva, the turiya, the auspicious one. Let us awake to that and realize it to be our real Self, thereafter, let this free and awakened mind respond to any situation around, there will be just the fragrance of auspiciousness in everything. That will be the real celebration of Mahashivrati.

Edited by mnx12 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mnx12 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 13 Thumbnail + 9
Jyotir Linga Kshetras

There are twelve Jyotirlingas: 1) Somnath in Saurashtra, 2) Mallikarjuna in SriShail, 3) Mahakal in Ujjain, 4) Amareshwar in Omkar, 5) Kedar in the Himalaya, 6) Bheemashankar at the bank of Bheema river. 7) Vishwanath in Varanasi. 8) Trayambakeshwar ar the bank of Gautami river, 9) Baidyanath at Chitabhumi, 10) Nagesh which is situated between Darukvan dwarika and Bhet dwarika 11) Rameshwar at Betubandh and 12) Dhushmesh in Shivalaya.

All the above mentioned twelve Jyotirlingas are very sacred and give total accomplishment to the devotees. 

Other types of Shivlingas are generally seen as 1) Chala, 2) Achala.
Chala linga is made for the puja, is immersed later. They are used at home too for worship, made of Black, stone, Crystal, Mercury etc.
Achala linga is immovable. It is very deep under the Earth. Such lingas are next to Jyotirlingas. They are created by Shivji's wish & a devotees gets to know about it, is worshipped after that it's discovery knowingly & unknowingly before that.

The reason for creation of Swayambhu Shivlinga:
1)For removing unseen obstacles in creation of this Srushti should be removed first & should be smooth running later on. 
2)The place needs Shiv-bhakti.
3)To make unfavourabe period favourable for the devotees.
Some Shivlingas which are on the surface of the Earth, have less power compared to Swayambhu Shivlinga, they are made & worshipped by King, rishis or devotees.
They have comparitively less power, so the devotee can sit next to it & worship.
A Shivlinga has 3  parts. The lowest is Brhma's, is square in shape, Middle octagonal part is Vishnu's, both placed are under the Earth. The top Round part is of Rudra, is worshipped.

On the auspious occasion of MahaShivratri of Lord Shiva, everyone is invited to contribute in this thread of our DKDM forum.๐Ÿ˜Š
Edited by mnx12 - 11 years ago
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
If anyone has made any special Maha Shivratri Siggies,Avis,VM's ,OS(One Shots) etc
Please put them in this thread only
This Index will maintain all that has been made for this special day
will add all the things as they come๐Ÿ˜Š
cheers

INDEX:-

Edited by shruti.nil - 11 years ago
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
||Har Har Mahadev||

Special Maha Shivratri Update
(This consists of some old things i made from the wedding episode,as well as some brand new ones)
Hope you'll like it
๐Ÿ˜Š
please let them load๐Ÿ˜Š

Free To Use:-

Avis:-

Animated Siggies:-

Siggies:-

DKDM

Shivratri Special

Thats it for now-will update with more later,if i get the time๐Ÿ˜ณ

Om Namah Shivah

Shruti

Edited by shruti.nil - 11 years ago
Kore-Soteira thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
THE 5 MANTRAS OF LORD SHIVA
Five is a sacred number for Shiva. One of his most important mantras has five syllables (nama? sivaya).According to Saiva Agama, Lord Shiva performs five actions - creation, preservation, dissolution, concealing grace, and revealing grace. Each of the five actions corresponds to a name and form of Shiva with varying attributes. These five names are:Shiva's body is said to consist of five mantras, called the pacabrahmans. As forms of God, each of these have their own names and distinct iconography:- 
  1. Sadyojata:- Creation. West. Earth(Prithvi)
  2. Vamadeva:- Preservation. North. Water. Jala.
  3. Aghora:- Dissolution/Rejuvenation.South. Fire. Agni.
  4. Tatpurusha:- Concealing Grace.East. Vayu. Air.
  5. Isana:- Revealing grace.North-east.Ether(Akasa).
Depending on your Rasi, Lagna, Dasa, Antardasa, Janma Nakshatra, whichever is strong you should meditate that face of Siva.For example Aghora represents South. If your resultant is south( i.e., rasi, lagna occupies south direction of Sun in your horoscope), you can mediate Southern face of Siva i.e, Aghora. Depending on the problematic area of life, Kendra, Kona, Dusthana, Trikona, Apoklima - you should meditate that face of Siva to get some relief in that problematic area.For example with somebody having Taurus (Vrushabha)rasi as lagna, having Venus is in 11th bhava i.e., Pisces (Mina). Running Dasa is Guru Dasa and let's say his Antardasa is Saturn. Now, let's say in this example, venus is strong in Pisces, but he is running Guru Dasa, If Guru is present in Dhanus, then we consider him as weak because he is occupying 8th House. Since Guru is present in north east corner of the horoscope he should start with Northern face of Siva mantra. After that Eastern face of Siva, so on...

Edited by smiley4567 - 11 years ago
Kore-Soteira thumbnail
SADYOJATA:- Creation. West. Earth. Prithvi
Represents Iccha Sakti. This face of Siva will give you both happiness and sadness to all creatures. This face of Siva can potentially give you a curse and anger from Siva. Represents Jalandhara Pitham. One Crore (100,00,000) Mantras are trying to describing this face of Siva. White in color. Ahamkara Tattva.
Kore-Soteira thumbnail
VAMADEVA
In Hinduism, Vamadeva is the name of the preserving aspect of the God Siva, one of five aspects of the universe he embodies. On a panchamukha (five-faced) Sivalingam, Vamadeva appears on the right hand side. This face/aspect of Siva is considered the peaceful, graceful and poetic one โ€” the lord of the female aspect of it is associated with water.The Brahman splits into male (Parashiva) and female (Parasakti) and manifests as the universe.This aspect respresents north-aspect that sustains manifest Brahman; associated with Vishnu; represents water.
The name comes from Sanskrit vama = "left", which is the seat of the Sakti and normally associated with beauty and the female, and deva = "God".As a God's name it is a karmadharaya and means "beautiful God".As a man's name it is probably a bahuvrihi and means "he whose God is beautiful".
  • ORIGIN:- Brahma created Vamadevas, after he saw,that manasaputras (the 10 sages), created by him,are not focused on creation and instead focused on meditation and ascese. Vamadeva (Rudras) created lightning, thunderbolt, clouds, rainbows, varieties of medicines all of which are immortals. They are also known as Rudras as they created immortals. Brahma then request Rudras (Vamadeva) to only create the mortals and not the immortals. Rudra (Vamdeva) saying that they could only create the immortals, stopped the work of creation.Eleven Rudras(Vamadeva) were created by Brahma,each carry Trishula in their hand. The eleven Vamadeva(Rudras) are Ajaykapada, Ahirbudhanya, Virukapsa, Raivata, Hara, Bahurupa, Triambaka, Savitra, Jayanta, Pinaki and Aparajita. The name Rudra literally means immortal is generally associated with Shiva.Vamadeva is also the name of a rishi, credited with most of Mandala 4 of the Rigveda.
Kore-Soteira thumbnail
(AGHORA)BHAIRAVA
Bhairava ("Terrible" or "Frightful",), sometimes known as Kaala BhairavaKal BhairabAnnadhaani Bhairava (In Karnataka)Bhairo orBhairon or Bhairadya or Bheruji (In Rajasthan), Kaal BhairavaKaala Bhairavar  or Vairavar (In Tamil), is the fierce manifestation of Lord Shiva associated with annihilation. He is one of the most important deities of Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu and Nepal who originated in Hindu mythology and is sacred to Hindus, Buddhists and Jains alike.
  • LEGENDS:-The origin of Bhairava can be traced to the conversation between Lord Brahma and LordVishnu recounted in "Shiv Maha-Puran" where Lord Vishnu asks Lord Brahma who is the supreme creator of the Universe. Arrogantly, Brahma tells Vishnu to worship him because he (Brahma) is the supreme creator. This angered Shiva who then incarnated in the form of Bhairava to punish Brahma. Bhairava beheaded one of Brahma's five heads and since then Brahma has only four heads. When depicted as Kala Bhairava, Bhairava is shown carrying the decapitated head of Brahma. Cutting off Brahma's fifth head made him guilty of the crime of killing a Brahmin, and as a result, he was forced to carry around the head for years and roam as Bhikshatana, a mendicant, until he had been absolved of the sin.In the form of the frightful Bhairava, Shiva is said to be guarding each of these Shaktipeeths. Each Shaktipeeth temple is accompanied by a temple dedicated to Bhairava.
  • DEKSHE:- In Aadichunchanagiri Mata, Kala Bhairava family people take Dikshe. One person from a family should take the Dikshe to market and spread about the Mata. After the person take Dikshe he is not allowed to drink alcohol or do any other wrong things. He also should promise to god that he will go to do pooja if anyone asks him.
  • WORSHIP:- His temples or shrines are present within or near most Jyotirlingatemples, the sacred twelve shrines dedicated to Shiva across India, including Kashi Vishwanath Temple, Varanasi and the Mahakaleshwar Temple at Ujjain, where at the Kal Bhairav Temple, he is worshipped by the Kapalika and Aghori sects of Shaivism, here one can also find the Patal Bhairav and Vikrant Bahirav shrines. Kaal Bhairava temples can also be found around Shakti Peethas, as it is said Shiva allocated the job of guarding each of 52 Shakti Peethas to one Bhairava. As such it is said there are 52 forms of Bhairava, which are in fact considered as manifestation of Shiva himself.Traditionally Kal Bhairav is the Grama devata in the rural villages of [Karnataka], Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu, where he is referred to as "Bhaivara/Annadhani" Vairavar. In Karnataka, Lord Bhairava is the supreme god for the Vokkaliga community commonly referred as "Gowdas", especially for the Gangadikara Gowda caste he is considered as the care taker and punisher.
  • OBSERVANCES:- Bhairava Ashtami commemorating the day Kal Bhairav appeared on earth, is celebrated on Krishna paksha Ashtami of theMargashirsha month of Hindu calendar with a day special prayers and rituals.
  • ICONOGRAPHY:- He is depicted ornamented with a range of twisted serpents, which serve as earrings, bracelets, anklets, and sacred thread (yajnopavita). He wears a tiger skin and a ritual apron composed of human bones. Bhairava has a dog (Shvan) as his divine vahana (vehicle). Bhairavi is a fierce and terrifying aspect of the Devi who is virtually indistinguishable from Kali, with the exception of her particular identification as the consort of Bhairava.Bhairava himself has eight manifestations i.e. Ashta Bhairava:- 
  1. Asithaanga Bhairava
  2. Ruru Bhairava
  3. Chanda Bhairava
  4. Krodha Bhairava
  5. Unmattha Bhairava.
  6. Kapaala Bhairava.
  7. Bheeshana Bhairava.
  8. Samhaara Bhairava    Kala Bhairava is conceptualized as the Guru of the planetary deity Shani (Saturn). Bhairava is known as Bhairavar or Vairavar in Tamil where he is often presented as a Grama devata or village guardian who safeguards the devotee on all eight directions (ettu tikku). Known in Sinhalese as Bahirawa, he protects treasures. Lord Bhairava is the main deity worshipped by the Aghora sect.
Bhairava temple in Kathmandu:- 
mohitfanT thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Happy Mahashivrati...
 shiva n shakti bless all of u

Awesome siggies n pics guys!
Edited by sushitaindia - 11 years ago
MrToolConfuser thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Res :)
Edit:
Happy MahaShivratri To Everyone... Let's pray to Lord to make our soul and mind pure with divine and virtue in it.. So, that we can realise the Greatness of God and Can Respect his Creations... May God bless everyone with prosperity and wisdom. Have a peaceful celebration ahead ๐Ÿ˜Š
Edited by MrToolConfuser - 11 years ago