**Writer [Reader] To Writer!**PG 76 - Page 3

Posted: 11 years ago
^Hey!

PM/Scrap me the link to your FF, I'll help you out :)
Originally posted by summer_breeze

Hello!!

Am a new writer,with just an prologue up.

Am in need of help though, is it ok if I send pm to anyone of you, who have come forward to help each other in this thread.I thought I'll ask for permission before my pm finds your inbox.. Plz do revert back.

Thank you.

Sure do :) 
Originally posted by V323

^Hey!

PM/Scrap me the link to your FF, I'll help you out :)

Hey V,
Can ya help me promote my stuff :) 
Originally posted by AraBearxx

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Hey V,</font>
<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">Can ya help me promote my stuff :)</font>

I'll see what I can do. :) Scrap me the link to your story :)
i have few questions. when people write they are inspired from a particular story to what extent can it be an inspiration

- a particular scene from a movie or a book then a new story is built up
- entire concept of a story or a moive entirely redone
- will it be called as a plagiarism if the entire concept remains the same without any innovation?
- if some scenes are copied ditto.

Originally posted by Appy_Indy

i have few questions. when people write they are inspired from a particular story to what extent can it be an inspiration

- a particular scene from a movie or a book then a new story is built up
- entire concept of a story or a moive entirely redone
- will it be called as aplagiarism if the entire concept remains the same without any innovation?
- if some scenes are copied ditto.

About the first point - See, if you are using a particular scene, from a movie/book, then a disclaimer should be put up, stating the movie/book you took it from. The scene in question could also be demarkated separately, as in if your entire update is in black, the scene in question should be blue or something.

The rest count as plagiarism.Edited by V323 - 11 years ago
^ thanks V, nice to meet you here...

once someone who was a very well known writer copied one of my chapter ditto and infact she copied the whole story and wrote it in her way changing bits and pieces here and their. and she didnot bother to put a disclaimer...

coming to the next point i have seen many people write stories putting a tag like inspired from "uihen ciuwehc" and start writing... (is that counted as plagiarism also?)
Edited by Appy_Indy - 11 years ago
^see, about the second point -

A concept is never the sole ownership of a particular writer. If I decide to write a political story about how Arnav and Khushi are members of the opposition party, it does not make the concept as mine

However, if somebody borrows my plot without my permission, then it counts as plagiarism. Putting up a disclaimer, after having taken the plot of a movie/book doesn't change facts. Plagiarism is plagiarism. Which means that yes, even if one puts up a disclaimer saying "Inspired from XYZ movie/book" it counts as plagiarism.

About your story - Don't know what to say ... Edited by V323 - 11 years ago
^ hmm thanks..

but i am still not clear about the inspiration part... anyways... thanks
^Umm ...

Inspiration is when you see something/experience something and are inspired to create something from it. Fan Fiction comes under inspiration.

In the first case - When you see a scene from a movie, and base a WHOLE NEW STORY, yes it is inspiration.

In the second case - when you tweak the plot of a story, it is plagiarism. Why? Because you are not actually creating something. Its like stealing a diamond necklace from somebody, and replacing one of the diamonds with a ruby. I hope you get what I mean -

To give you another example - lets say I steal an umbrella from somebody. I come home, and colour the umbrella red. it doesn't change the fact that I stole it

To point number three - there is a huge difference between concept and plot. Concept is me saying "the concept of my story is that Khushi has an accident, and suffers from amnesia ... and Arnav helps her regain her memory"

That is the concept of your story.

Plot is me saying - "okay so Khushi has a motorbike accident, Arnav rushes to the hospital, khushi doesn't recognise him, Arnav is traumatised, then he meets doctors who tell him Khushi's memory can be bought back, then he swears to bring Khushi's memory back, she gets discharged from the hospital and blah blah blah blah.

Somebody writing an entirely different plotline ON THE CONCEPT of K losing her memory and A helping her recovering it cannot be counted as plagiarism.

Somebody taking my entire PLOT and writing the story is plagiarism.

About point 4 - A disclaimer should be provided, else it counts as plagiarism.

I hope its clear enough now?
Edited by V323 - 10 years ago