**Writer [Reader] To Writer!**PG 76 - Page 6

Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by V323

About the first point - See, if you are using a particular scene, from a movie/book, then a disclaimer should be put up, stating the movie/book you took it from. The scene in question could also be demarkated separately, as in if your entire update is in black, the scene in question should be blue or something.

The rest count as plagiarism.

I think the second point doesn't count as plagiarism. For eg if I want to write an ArHi FF on Baazigar. I can keep the plot same but the twists and turns can be different.
Originally posted by Angel-Jot.

^First of all, damn. Look at you. Going all out. HAHA. I actually read that whole post and it was pretty interesting cause I had no idea.. XD

I mean, it's quite obvious that technically, we don't own the work that we post on here since it's a fan fiction but.. i didn't realize that we're taking the work of someone else and using it as a basis of our work. XD

And I.. i really just wanted to tell you i love your sig. But if i had posted just to say that.. i would've been spamming so.. *hides*

Can you please link 18shabbo's Plagiarism post on the first page so that members don't have to go through all the pages?

Also Nabila (18shabbo) meant can you change the title to *Writer-Reader-Writer* or something on those lines where the reader is also mentioned in the topic? :)
Originally posted by Aphrodite88

Thanks for creating this thread!
I just have a question. Yesterday i saw Love.Khushi discontinue her story as it is similar to another writer's ongoing story. In such cases, where concepts are similar, is it classified as plagiarism? And does the need to discontinue the story arises as different writers have different story plots, characterisations, styles of writing, no two minds are alike...? Please help me!

I am asking this question because I have this concept in my mind to write a Fan Fiction on Arnav and Khushi, and until now i have not come across this concept written by someone else yet but its not like i have read all the stories in IF either. If i start writing this story with my concept, and suddenly one day someone tells me they have already wrote a story with a similar concept before...will be my work be classified under plagiarism then? And will i need to discontinue it?

😭😭

Similar in what sense? In the sense of concept? Like A and K's first meeting starts their hate for each other and then the story takes off. Many stories take off on that note. But how you write it, what twists you bring to the story, what depth and layers you give the characters, etc that makes the difference :)

Go ahead and write it :)

Two minds can think alike but not in the same order ;)
I have come across stories where the concept is really similar but it isn't plagiarism because that...concept is so popular. 

Recently i was told that there is this other Arranged Marriage story where Arnav and Khushi are fixed by their grandfathers, etc etc. Now that is ridiculously similar to mine, but I can't say it's plagiarism, because it depends on the way she writes out her story, the twists she puts in hers may be different to mine, etc. 

Originally posted by lazyleaves

Similar in what sense? In the sense of concept? Like A and K's first meeting starts their hate for each other and then the story takes off. Many stories take off on that note. But how you write it, what twists you bring to the story, what depth and layers you give the characters, etc that makes the difference :)

Go ahead and write it :)

Two minds can think alike but not in the same order ;)
thanks dear for your reply 🤗
yes i am scared that the concept will be the same, especially after i saw the writer's discontinuation note..thats why.  thanks so much for your feedback on how to plot the storyline and carve the characters...it helps me alot...coz i have a fair idea about the concept, but have not started on how i want the story to flow and how the characters to be shaped up! i will have to think about it 😊

@bold love what you wrote 😆 thanks again!
Originally posted by Krani

I have come across stories where the concept is really similar but it isn't plagiarism because that...concept is so popular. 

Recently i was told that there is this other Arranged Marriage story where Arnav and Khushi are fixed by their grandfathers, etc etc. Now that is ridiculously similar to mine, but I can't say it's plagiarism, because it depends on the way she writes out her story, the twists she puts in hers may be different to mine, etc. 

Hey thanks alot Krani for your thoughts! 🤗
But what if the concept is not a popular one?
Like you said, I have read a lot of stories where the concepts that are popular are used over and over again but the different authors give their own twists and turns to the story, which makes it engaging to read. The old wine served in new bottle theory...but what if the concept isnt a popular one? Like its based on law, crime, medicine, media etc...under such professions? Does the story still depends on how the writer narrates the story and scenes and the twists that are used in it?

Though I'm not a great writer or observer but seeing the conversation, arguments about plagiarism I just come to the conclusion that many people even don't know what actually plagiarism is?.

Plagiarism'The practice of taking someone else work and pretends it their own.

But the mostly stories of ours based on situations Like, Kidnapping, rapping, hate love relationship, unnamed relation, forced marriage, problems in marriage life ,marital affairs after marriage or romance, lovemaking etc. etc. and we writers almost use quite similar words in situations like these.

He caught her wrist and pulled her towards him, her eyes widened but before she could realize what was happening he leaned to kiss her.

Or

Someone kept his hand on her face and she couldn't scream.

Or

"i hate you"

"But i love you" ignoring her efforts to free herself, he wrapped her in his arms.

Or

Her breath caught, her lashes flickered nervously as someone clicked the knob and entered in the room'she could guess who was he? Her husband'her newly wedded husband, She sucked in a breath and let her tear to flow.

I've been reading many stories in which writers almost write the similar scenes and move their stories in a similar way in particular situations Like..

A male character of the story kidnaps the female character of the story for taking revenge from her father or someone close to her  but at the end of  the story they fall in love.

Is it plagiarism?

Even in our films and Television serials we see lots of similar characters but the creativity of the writer's mind decide the level of the best characterization among them.

I myself am confused about what is the actual meaning of plagiarism in Present time.

I just want to give my suggestion to Jot and another moderator of the fan fiction forum there should be a  thread name * Give opinion what is Plagiarism*  where writers and readers can interact and discuss openly where the line of plagiarism start. The thread should be open for a week so at this time of period many people can give their views and points and  then after a week Some members whom the moderator will  choose or moderator themselves read the POV and points of the members and select the best suggestions, points, and add them in the plagiarism  thread or fan fiction rules thread and ask the Members to must read them.

So after implement of these rules whoever will try to break them, will be pointed out easily.

We should keep in mind the other side of the coin too, As members of the fan fiction forum we have to encourage the creativity, writing skill. there are lots of readers , new members and some creative minds who want to write and pen down their thoughts but are scared to write just because people won't read their work and encourage them to think they are involve in plagiarism.

Maria.

Ignore the grammatical errors:) No offence to anyone.

Edited by Maria. - 11 years ago
@V323. Copyright simply means you in no means (profitable/psychological) can use the work of the copyright holder because in both the cases you violate the law.
Profitable gain on anyone else's hard work - civil punishment.
psychological/non-commercial use - violation of fundamental duty of yours because you never took permission of the copyright holder who thought of  the characters/story background , before you and is a legal owner of it.

This is like when you dont allow someone to copy your homework. No one is gaining any profit/commercial recognition on finishing the homework first , but majorly we dont like anyone to copy our homework in any form and say "finished ma'am.", and maybe a little reformation by her/him and they get more praises than you.

Now about E.L. James , the book was published after S.Meyer gave her consent over it.

Secondly you yourself answered your question.
When Fifty shades was going to be a published book why had she to take off the "original names"?
If say James had not written her FF with the names Edward-Bella , not letting anyone know why she is writing it , no one could have recognized her inspiration to write.
But she did and thus she violates the copyright law of character owning.

S.Meyer was being diligent by not slapping a court case on her.
She said something like- im happy people get inspired by me.(because she likes getting inspired herself.)
This depended on Meyers , not on the definition of legality , definition of plagiarism and or any action that might have been taken.

By the end of the day when the copyright holder didn't had a problem , but she objected the use of Edward-Bella as names , 50shades was published.

But then again Edward-Bella were a source , James didnt work the original plot of the Twilight saga.

Also even if 50shades was written originally with different names , James will have always known what inspired her to write it.
If you can curb your consciousness then who is the law to blame.

George R.R. Martin , Anne Rice are some of those authors who have literally prohibited anyone from writing FF's on their original books.
You cant write any type of , or be inspired from their work , because if they found out , they have been using everything tight in copyright law against FF writers.

Now about an Arnav-Khushi story , lets talk plot inspiration.
Generally all fics have an Arnav who is rich n arrogant and a Khushi who is bubbly and serene.
You have been violating character owning law but no one is complaining.
See court is not going to come knocking at your door till someone complaints about this and that someone should be Gul Khan and co.

Now your story is wived very nicely , you have added a lot that didnt ever happen in the show and you introduced your own plots.
But somewhere or the other basic background , like Shayam leeching on Khushi etc, was there.
A publisher wants to print your book and you haven't changed the names , this story of your book reaches Gul Khan and co.
Now you are a convict , but on whom the crime is committed, if they are not going to hold you up for it , you go scot free.
If they do , you fight a case.
You offer to change the names , is simply that you are accepting your fault and again it will depend on if the original creatives want to accept this or not.

Or your published book comes with changed names but Gul Khan and co. find the similarities to their show too.
A case if made will be fought. You know the truth , now how you manipulate this ,  depends on your imagination on how to deny the charges.

In another story there nothing but just Arnav-Khushi , the names and you write nothing from the original what so ever.
But your inspiration is IPKKND , you took the names from there , and you know it.
A publisher asks you to get this fic published.
You dont change names and somehow your book reaches Gul Khan and co.
This an E.L.James case scenario.

Consciously you know what made you write and so does all who read your fic , you'd be under character owning law and will be accused of it.
Then how it proceeds is another story.

Or your published book comes with changed names and not even you can find a spec of IPKKND in it and all live happily ever after.

You need to remember that out of the box ,court is not going to come knocking at your door.

Also in this scenario what you took from the original writer is the flesh of the character, like your Arnav or her Edward may share similar physical traits.

But if you dont let anyone know your book was a fic on IPKKND/Twilight saga no one can accuse you ever.Even it will sound vague to be accused when theres nothing to be questioned for.

What happens to your conscious is well and a matter between you and her/him.(i presume that everyone thinks that conscious is a living form.)

PS_ if anyone writes a fic on IPKKND , whatever type , we all start it in IPKKND forum , we write in the title "Arhi".
Same goes with all fan fics of any kind on any existing work.
So somewhere it exists that however different your work is , it finds its root from somewhere else.
Edited by 18shabbo - 11 years ago
@18Shabbo - Thank you! No seriously, thanks. I get it, now. I'll keep this in mind. THANKS. =)

@Everybody - There is a HUGE difference between plot and concept - as I explained here.

Originally posted by V323

^Umm ...

Inspiration is when you see something/experience something and are inspired to create something from it. Fan Fiction comes under inspiration.

In the first case - When you see a scene from a movie, and base a WHOLE NEW STORY, yes it is inspiration.

In the second case - when you tweak the plot of a story, it is plagiarism. Why? Because you are not actually creating something. Its like stealing a diamond necklace from somebody, and replacing one of the diamonds with a ruby. I hope you get what I mean -

To give you another example - lets say I steal an umbrella from somebody. I come home, and colour the umbrella red. it doesn't change the fact that I stole it

To point number three - there is a huge difference between concept and plot. Concept is me saying "the concept of my story is that Khushi has an accident, and suffers from amnesia ... and Arnav helps her regain her memory"

That is the concept of your story.

Plot is me saying - "okay so Khushi has a motorbike accident, Arnav rushes to the hospital, khushi doesn't recognise him, Arnav is traumatised, then he meets doctors who tell him Khushi's memory can be bought back, then he swears to bring Khushi's memory back, she gets discharged from the hospital and blah blah blah blah.

Somebody writing an entirely different plotline ON THE CONCEPT of K losing her memory and A helping her recovering it cannot be counted as plagiarism.

Somebody taking my entire PLOT and writing the story is plagiarism.

About point 4 - A disclaimer should be provided, else it counts as plagiarism.

I hope its clear enough now?

Writing on a concept is not plagiarism, writing on a plot is.
^ I edited a few things , you can look into it but i accept im no pro either but if you can simply put a disclaimer , you can have an upper hand on someone who plagiarizes your FF work.