-Araina- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Hello everyone. ðŸ¤— ðŸ¤— 

I'm a day late in posting DOTW... Hope I can be forgiven? I was preoccupied with memoirs and forum works 😛 

So this weekend, we already did mother sister of everything possible for season 2. And yesterday mostly, we all went crazy hyper over the first episode all over again. 

There fore, it leave me in a tiff. What do I start a discussion on now? Sab toh already ho gaya 🤣 

So let's just enjoy this one? 

Ragging? 😃 Yay! Fun thing for seniors no? But Oh No! For the Freshies. 

I always wanted to ask, what's the fun in ragging? Why does college always equal to ragging? I mean aren't students supposed to get more mature as they go into college? Then why such a silly thing as ragging? 

Call me crazy but yea... I do wonder that. 

Have you ever been ragged? I know a whole lot of you are in India and in college as well. If so, please share your experience? Do you think ragging is right? Ethical? Have you ever ragged anyone? Then went on to regret it or laugh over it? 

Why can't college students co exist? Why is there always enemity between seniors and juniors? What do you have to say on that? Is it just their ego or just because seniors want to have have before graduating and what not? 

What are the limiting factors? 

Dunno if this is fun/boring topic to discuss on but you guys left me with no choice 😳 

Looking forward to answers!! 
-Khushi
Edited by *Khushii* - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Hey Khushi!Nice topic!
Actually i dont know anything about it yet...as i m yet to step in college
But i think there isnt any fun at all in ragging...why do they do so??
It should be stopped..!!!
Echo.of.Hope thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
there are different kinds of ragging.
one is friendly ragging where the freshers are made' bakras' and then the seniors and freshers becum frends but it is the other dangerous style ragging that has to be stopped.
-Lekha
NidhaA thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Aha! Bang on topic Kushiji!
I haven't been ragged though I am in college (except for a little something I wouldn't call ragging)
Yeah well like Lekha before me mentioned before me there are two kinds of ragging.
1-This are small innocent pranks like she said bhakra banana.
This is actually okay. Mostly seniors do this by assessing the nature of the junior. Jithna zyada attitude uthna hi zyada ragging.
But it won't be anything too harmful.
2- The kind involving physical violence. ABSOLUTELY UNENTERTAINABLE!

In the first kind some people learn to stand up to the seniors eventually. Some give in at the first sign of pressure and then seniors mostly don't trouble them.
Eventually these go into creating a bond between seniors and juniors.
We had a our First freshers day last year and we seniors gave the juniors some pretty hilarious pranks.
It wasn't anything too humiliating and the limits weren't crossed.
Most of the juniors we ragged finally end up being a good friend.

The second kind of ragging is what results in news of bodily harm to fresher students and seriously seniors who do it are mindless hooligans.
That kind is what led to strict anti-ragging laws in India which prevents a student from asking another's name in a tone that causes displeasure.

As to why why seniors feel the need to rag I have no idea. Personally I haven't ragged anyone but as a group yes. But never to the point of humiliation or hurt.
And most juniors nowadays are highly capable at giving tit for tat. Honestly!
The thing is most seniors want to give back what they got. It's like juniors are meant to respect seniors.
In that respect the batch I belong to follows give and take policy.
No respect unless they earned it.
Mein thou personally usually stay out of seniors tracks.
A few of them I respect, few are good friends, few I don't like and to few am indifferent.

Personal experience was not much.
On our first day in hostel , at about 11, the super senior batch of our college called us to the common room.
I remember being half asleep.
The first impression I usually give a person is of being rude.
Something that has got a connection with height and size and the fact that I don't open up until you get close to me.
So just imagine what it would have been when I am half asleep.
They were asking us questions and we were supposed to answer without smiling.
I obviously didn't smile.
This would've appeared as double attitude to all watching me.
One senior told me to drop my attitude and another at the end told me I can smile a bit.
And when I smiled thanks to mu grouchy state it appeared as a mocking smirk.
So yeah I almost dug my own grave.
But that was the last, no seniors ever ragged us again.
I was afraid of a few of them for a while but now its long gone.
I am a senior now and thanks to my looks juniors are naturally frightened of me lol!
And the one who told me to drop my attitude, well she is my cousin bhabhi now ! :D
-Araina- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
^ I will get to reading your reply soon 😳 

@Mithi- True. I haven't been either but I feel it should be stopped too... The dangerous kinds. 

@Lekha- Yup the different kinds. But sometimes, one might over do unintentionally. So when does one draw a line between friendly and dangerous? It's a thin line... As one might thing it's friendly but the person being ragged could be highly emotional and it could prove dangerous to those. So question being, the line can be crossed any time... intentionally or unintentionally. When and who decides the limitations?
^^^agree with u khushi...overdoing may happen unintentionally!! Ragging can become pretty bad for the emotional people!
WhisperOfDreams thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Khushii...
a bang on topic to discuss..
i am in college...
and there is no ragging in our college what so ever...😃
they had to file and afidivict regarding regarding ragging...i dont really know the exact details
but this has prevented ragging frm happening in our collg...
its pritty fun toh coz seniors and juniors are all frnds...!😆 a gr8 atmosphere.
but i am totally against ragging...
the physical and metal kind...
i would hate to see ppl torched although never seen in real gunrah has shown may such epis related to ragging...that extent that ppl tent to suicide...
sum say they follow ragging coz they were ragged when they wer juniors...
but i strongly feel y do such a distructive thing...
hv other types of fun..!
love
safrena
littleflaws thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
There is no such thing as Ragging at my college, at least not as far as I have seen. 

But, I don't think ragging is used as the term it actually stands for. Who does not play pranks of their friends? Pranking friends and known one is different than making some uncomfortable when they have just entered a new environment. 

From what I see and read: Ragging nowadays is a better term for bullying. So, to me there is no difference between the two. One ragging can never know where to draw a line, they might think they haven't gone overboard but then also they have also not lived the opposite person's life. Even the smallest of things changes major things in life. 
NidhaA thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
@Khushi...
A line can always be drawn.
Yes it is a thin line.
But nonetheless a line can be drawn.
You can usually say a person is emotional or not very easily.
Just by the way they answer you when you ask them their name.
Easily emotional people tend to be highly tensed.
At that point seniors usually stop.
They don't ask anything apart from the name, place, batch...
But yeah I can't give an authentication of this as there is no real ragging in my college.
At least not amongst girls.
No pranks are ever played on juniors here.
Boys thou are different case, unki tho apni marzi hain jaha kisi aur ki nahin chalthi.
Our batch boys used to get ragged until half of second year I guess.
But the thing with boys is they never mind.
Girls on the other hand are far more fragile.
They aren't usually ragged much.
The bold ones do get ragged but the fragile ones are left alone after one time.
They usually tend to cry upon being asked their name itself.

@Monal...
I do agree with you that the person ragging may unintentionally go overboard
But most sensible seniors know where to draw the line.
Ragging in reality is not exactly like we see in television.
There are worse raggings .
But mostly what seniors do is ask your name place and sing a song
Or like it happened on freshers day at my place.
Ask some questions about love and all.
Or ask the person to make an imaginary omelette.
But if at all the seniors had seen that these would adversely effect yhe students they wouldn't have done it.
These were only done to people who could withstand this.
The bolder ones
littleflaws thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: FeistySoul

@Monal...
I do agree with you that the person ragging may unintentionally go overboard
But most sensible seniors know where to draw the line.
Ragging in reality is not exactly like we see in television.
There are worse raggings .
But mostly what seniors do is ask your name place and sing a song
Or like it happened on freshers day at my place.
Ask some questions about love and all.
Or ask the person to make an imaginary omelette.
But if at all the seniors had seen that these would adversely effect yhe students they wouldn't have done it.
These were only done to people who could withstand this.
The bolder ones

Am sure of it. But I would also say, this just gives more opportunity for bulliers and then just name it as ragging. 
Frankly, I have no experience of Indian college. I study in US and there is not such thing as ragging over here. But bullying is a top issue in schools and colleges. 

P.S. OMG you are a OUAT fan? I just saw the tumbler collage in your dabba, and I was like, dude she is the first OUAT fan I have seen on IF..