Bani - Ishq Da Kalma

Quite a promising beginning

AreYaar thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
The first episode was surprisingly good even though I didn't have high expectations...this concept has been previously tried on a Star One show and butchered quite pathetically.

What stood out in this show though:

1) Unusual and touching narrative style...the idea of using Harshdeep as a musical narrator in a sense was really good...especially the opening sequence was really emotional...the actress playing Rano is fantastic and she conveyed that pain, that anguish of a woman forever waiting superbly๐Ÿ‘

2) Saiyaan...this is a MAJOR plus point for the show...they've come up with an AMAZINGLY touching song...probably one of the best I've heard in many years now.

3) The depiction of Punjab...the rival show in the 10:30 slot also does a good job of this but I feel the scope was better depicted in this show...especially the way the bike ride of Bani and her cousin was shot through the fields.

4) The storyline...any Punjabi especially will identify a lot with the situation...cuz it is a very sad but true situation in Punjab...people willing to do ANYTHING to leave their existence and go abroad...

5) The actors...especially the lady cast as Bani's mom...bang on...the thoughts that she conveyed probably ring true of a lot of ppl...ppl who hate toiling away in their villages as they see NRIs earning money in vast amounts and coming back to their villages to build huge houses...the lure of going abroad and presuming that everything is gold and diamonds just waiting for you to scoop it up...on the other end, the contrast of the brother in law who couldn't make it in Canada...and came back...I found that fascinating...another perspective that Bani's mom is unwilling to see for now.

I liked that there is a balance of characters in both families...Bani's mother is bitter but not evil...her husband seems like a nice and reasonable guy...the chacha-chachi seem nice too...the other cousins do seem to have grown up bitter about the fighting in the family while Bani and Rajjo seem to be the only ones that get along.

6) The dialogue by the Beeji that leaving Lahore for Amritsar during partition was easier for her than watching her own children dividing up her home like this...very touching.

7) The overall direction...they did quite a good job of it...especially the opening sequence of Rano on the station transition to Harshdeep's narration, to Bani-Rajjo at the Golden Temple...superbly done๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Overall they've laid a good basis for the storyline...I surprisingly liked the show...hoping it continues hereon...a promising start๐Ÿ˜Š

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Princess.. thumbnail

Edit.

Okay firstly, might i say, great post! Love the way you write and express your thoughts!

I have only seen the first episode as of now and yes, the show lived up to my expectations. My first reason to watch the show was for Rano (Navni Parihar) and of course, the song saiyaan. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

I cant help but think of people in Punjab who actually might have faced such a situation and it is really heartbreaking.
Anyway, coming back to the show, Navni Parihar looks extremely convincing as Rano. Her face depicts the days she has seen, the sadness she has been through for 20 years. She deserves an applause. ๐Ÿ‘

Wondering if they will keep on shooting in the beautiful Punjab though. Great cinematography and direction is a thumbs up. It was overall a show that has given me a lot of expectations and i hope it follows the path of its first episode and not get monotonous. Dont want to watch another Saas-Bahu ๐Ÿคข

Ooh, and the punjabi and less make up - helps the show in being closer to reality. Plus point!

Raising an issue like this, i just hope they dont devaite from the storyline as the previous show did.

P.S. Isnt every music bit just great? ๐Ÿ˜Š

Edited by Princess.. - 11 years ago
mango-frost thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
i agree completely...i didnt have much expectations from it honestly...i wasnt going to watch it, but i decided to just see what its like just because of the locales of punjab...since im a punjabi myself, but living in canada...and havent visited india in over 8 years...i do tend to miss india sometimes, especially punjab...

and, im glad i decided to watch it...not only were the locales shown beautifully, but the acting, the story, the characters, the narration...and yes, harshdeep and saiyan were absolutely amazing...i downloaded that song and have it on repeat since yday...its so heart-wrenching and full of soul...harshdeeps voice really touches the cords of the heart..

hope it does well and sticks to the essence of punjab...which is i think is the USP of the show at the moment...
utopia88 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Awesome post! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

I loved yesterday's episode. It really laid the foundation to what's to come next. The actors did a superb job. I also like how the Punjabi setting and culture has been depicted. Very rustic! I'm really excited to see the next episode. I hope the CVS do the NRI issue full justice. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Edited by utopia88 - 11 years ago
Transference thumbnail
Anu LOL๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿค— main bhi idhar๐Ÿ˜› Surprisingly I accidentally caught bits of the show and OMG WOW!! I was quite happy!!Something which again caught my attention WORD to everything you said...BTW I donno why I love Rajji ..She is cuter๐Ÿ˜†And Navni is such a seasoned actress ..Ahh she as Rano is great!! Haven't watched second episode yet but first one was really beautiful 
-Misek- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
very good post indeed. I just caught up with the two episodes and must say the beginning is quite impressive. Though I dont knw much abt Punjab and the culture but I m really liking the show and hope the feeling stays the same provided CVs don't butcher the plot.
Swetha-Sai thumbnail
Awesome review of the epi by u, Anu ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
Agree with ur views completely
AreYaar thumbnail
@mango-frost, utopia88, Simmy: Yes exactly, the Punjab setting has been vibrantly and NATURALLY portrayed...they've taken care of nuances like the way the characters speak, the accents, the dialects...bang on๐Ÿ‘...They haven't Hindi-fied the Punjabi to such an extent that it sounds fake...they've kept it genuine.

Thanks for the replies, everyone :-)
AreYaar thumbnail
Originally posted by: manzilmukul

Anu LOL๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿค— main bhi idhar๐Ÿ˜› Surprisingly I accidentally caught bits of the show and OMG WOW!! I was quite happy!!Something which again caught my attention WORD to everything you said...BTW I donno why I love Rajji ..She is cuter๐Ÿ˜†And Navni is such a seasoned actress ..Ahh she as Rano is great!! Haven't watched second episode yet but first one was really beautiful 

Piu Mhaariii๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜†

Yes, I was also pleasantly surprised...there was another show on Zee I wanted to check out but that one ended up being SO lame in the opening epis.

Gurbani on the other hand showed surprising sensitivity in terms of how the storyline is being portrayed...I read the opening credits and the director is a woman ๐Ÿ˜Š...It would be nice to see more female directors if they can bring a different and more sensitive aspect to shows.

I like how the seperation b/w the family storyline is not CLICHED with BLIND hatred and nonsense like that...there is a reason on both sides...there is bitterness but not HATRED...it's more like NAARAAZGI...but still there is RESPECT and love and a yearning for each other...like the way the younger brother allows his brother's tractor to go first...or the way they look at each other at the gola stand.

The second epi was good too and gave more insight into why Bani's mom is so desperate for an NRI rishta...she wants a better life for her children...little nuances like her noticing her husband's worn out kurta even as he buys new clothes for her and their kids just add to the sensitive portrayal.

LOL Rajji is quite cute, yep...Bani is more of the goody goody types waise bhi...dutiful daughter wanting to sacrifice herself for her mother's happiness but the actress is doing a good job of portraying her elegantly without being bechaari types.

I'm not much impressed by the hero though๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜†
Transference thumbnail
Anu sachi..finished watching toady's episode..It was wonderful in terms of execution and the cinematographic feel is beautiful..specially Bani on the giant wheel and Soham looking at her..Hero is OK ๐Ÿฅฑ Not very impressed either but their love story has this innocent feel to it..Chup chup k niharna and all..The purity and innocence of a yearning boy secretly in love wishing to give her all the happiness yet hesutating to talk to her is different and fresh unlike the so forced on intense chemistry in the so called top shows..I liked his intro today ...Kinda had this whole village and gabru jawaan feel...
I loved how they dealt with the contrast in Soham's state and Bani's mother's expectations...
And you are right about the family partition drama not being OTT.The sweetness is intact and it holds my interest till now..Wish Soham was someone else๐Ÿ˜†
Baki all is good
and OMG did you try Dastaan..I was wanting to try it too.Is it worth a shot ?