TOI: TRPs come from small towns: Mouli Ganguly

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago
TRPs come from small towns: Mouli Ganguly

TRPs come from small towns: Mouli Ganguly

She might have been a part of soaps that were panned for being repetitive, but TV's Mouli Ganguly feels she's experimented with her roles and says she's always believed in taking up challenges. And her recent appearance on 'Ek Thhi Naayka', a promotional series for the film 'Ek Thi Daayan', certainly isn't cliched or routine for TV. Excerpts from an interview:

On Ek Thhi Naayka
It's after a long time that I shot with the team ofKaahin Kissii Roz (the serial that launched her). We got extremely nostalgic when we started the shoot. I have always been in awe of Sudhaji (Sudha Chandran, her mother-in-law on Kaahin Kissii Roz). Back in those days, it wasamazing to work with her.

On playing negative and positive characters with ease
I am an actor and it's my job. I have regularly been doing plays that require me to do a lot of comedy. I don't like to play safe. After Kaahin Kissii Roz, I played an undercover cop in Sakshi. I don't have those sort of inhibitions about playing a certain kind of character. I don't move around with that baggage. If you look at TV, we get to do much fewer challenging roles. So when I got an opportunity to go a role with grey shades, I accepted it.

On changes in the TV industry
TV has become much more commercial these days and it's all about TRPs. Earlier, TV actors didn't get the kind of exposure they're getting now. I mean, even news channels have dedicated shows that tell the viewer about an actor's personal life. So it's good, in a way. However, there was a sustenance factor for our shows. People still remember me as Shaina (the name of her character in Kaahin Kissii Roz), but now shows don't have this recall value. I'm extremely lucky to have been a part of that phase. Last time I was here, a few years younger, it was entirely different.

On the portrayal of women on TV
Everybody - be it the channel or the production house - works for TRPs. The majority of TRPscome from small towns. I think the kind of women that are shown on TV somewhat reflect women in smaller towns. Even films today are made with a view to earning 100 crores. People try to play safe by making remakes or out-and-out entertainers that will earn them good money. As a viewer, I also miss watching shows like Fauji, Tara, Circus and BanegiApniBaat, which was my favourite, or even for that matter Astitva, but they might not get channels the TRPs they need. However, I think there needs to be a balance.

On doing the role of a docile woman
Personally, I am not very comfortable doing those roles. When I was offered the role of Anushka in Kya Hua Tera Waada, I took it up. Even though it was a negative character, I found it relatable, in the sense that she was a modern woman.

On reality shows
I would love to do a dance reality show but I don't think I will fit into any other reality show. I don't think I will get them TRPs because as a person, I am not that open. I would never be able to do the kind of things reality shows expect participants to do.

On working with husband Mazhar
No one has offered us any show together. There was a show offered to us where Mazhar was required to play my son, but we refused it.

On becoming a mother
I do want to experience motherhood. I have been a good daughter and a good wife. The planning is definitely on, but at the moment, I am busy with my work.