Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

zephyr29 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
Yup it released last year with Keira as Anna, Jude Law as Karenin and Aaron Taylor Johnson as Vronsky.

I started reading Anna Karenina couple of years ago in ebook format which turned out to be a big mistake coz I found it difficult to keep track of the pages 😆. Have to get a proper book of it.
angelirebelli thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: zephyr29

Speaking of cold, even Keira used to come across as very cold to me at the start. She was nice in Pirates but I started to really appreciate her in P&P and then absolutely loved her in Atonement. Both were by Joe Wright. I have yet to see their Anna Karenina which got mixed reviews and was practically trashed in Russia. But for both of them willing to take a look.

But my favorite Elizabeth has to be Jennifer Ehle in the BBC P&P. She and Colin Firth together were so .

I can watch the 1995 adaptations a million zillion times.. They are my fav PnP couple.. they fit the roles like a hand to the glove.. I like the haughty Darcy, the sensitive one was a bit too much for me to handle.. the cold , distant Darcy was more like it.. 😳 They are some brilliant scenes in that version esp. Liz-Darcy moments and Mrs. Bennet who was a fab.. ⭐️

theloupgaroux thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
I love Jane Austen and mainly because she sees through people's politeness and correctness and into their true opinions and motivations. She's not afraid to call them out for their inconsistencies and absurdities. Her characters are so subtly drawn that it sometimes takes me a long while to really appreciate what makes them great. For instance, in Mansfield Park Fanny always seemed so boring and passive, but after several readings and a movie, she shines as one of the characters who has had to make the most difficult choices in her time: to openly defy her benefactor and stand by her decision not to marry into Henry. She doesn't need elaborate plot lines, exotic locales, or a whole lot of action to create the most engaging, entertaining, funny and insightful stories I have ever read. 😳

While she is seeing through pretensions and absurdities, she has a soft spot in her heart for a great many of her weak or foolish characters - at least she lets them end well - like Emma and Mr. Woodhouse, Mr. Bennett, Lydia, Mary and Mrs. Bennett,& Charlotte Collins in P & P, Edmund at Mansfield Park even if he didn't notice his true love at first, silly Marianne in S and S, etc. She hardly punishes anyone, except Maria and her aunt in Mansfield Park, and Sir Walter Elliot in Persuasion. 😆
Edited by Edlyn - 10 years ago
LethallyFloral thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
^ Duh, and here speaks the biggest Jane Austen fanatic. 😆

I have only read Pride and Prejudice and Emma and I would to love to read more of her work because of her wit and her irony, but mostly due to her ability to remind us how to love. ❤️
theloupgaroux thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: Aveline

^ Duh, and here speaks the biggest Jane Austen fanatic. 😆

I have only read Pride and Prejudice and Emma and I would to love to read more of her work because of her wit and her irony, but mostly due to her ability to remind us how to love. ❤️

And I thought I would never see you in a Austen thread cause you didn't like Emma when you read it first. 😆

P.S- Your Cristina Y. Signature looks pretty. You made? 😳
LethallyFloral thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
^ People learn to appreciate things over a period of time. 😛

And signature? No, I didn't make it. I have deleted PS from the system. 😆 I think I saw it in the gallery, it's made by epiphany. :)
zephyr29 thumbnail
Here's a bit of news for fans of the 1995 BBC Pride & Prejudice TV series: A 12 foot tall statue of Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy has been erected in Hyde Park, London. It marks the memorable "wet" Darcy scene where he emerges from the lake.

Here's a link of the news.

aishwaryagayen thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
LOL .. they really made tht statue huh .. kill me .. i donoo where they get those ideas from hehehe
NivFemirist thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Here here *raising my hand up in the air* i am her fan i read Pride and prejudice of hers for the first time and i simply loved it. Then I read other books of her but storyline is kinda similar but the characters have stronger character sketch and i love the fact that the pure love blossoms btw the lead pairs without any need of strong physical intimacy and also the fact that how leads survive all the hurdles which are mainly caused by their family members of friends 😃
zephyr29 thumbnail
Originally posted by: aishwaryagayen

LOL .. they really made tht statue huh .. kill me .. i donoo where they get those ideas from hehehe

Well it was for the launch for some TV channel exclusively for British Drama, and  they made a poll where most voted this scene as the most memorable. Hence the statue but yeah what an idea 😆!